Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are a lot of games that arent in there because I havent had time this weekend to add them also because no one has done this for it yet:

Feel free to write something up.

Yeah, like MH4U.

I'm still trying to find a place in northern NJ that's selling the Black New 3DS XL, but they're all out of stock, so I guess I'll have to wait for the next shipment, unless there's a store I missed that would sell them. Checked around at Gamestop, Walmart, Best Buy, and Target already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fix posted:

I just got off the phone with Best Buy support. They said they were waiting to get a supply from Nintendo, but did not have any info from them as to when that might be.

The local Best Buy by me claimed the next shipment would arrive on Tuesday.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Also if you collect all the masks, your sword becomes grossly incandescent!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Doug Dinsdale posted:

While I can understand the appeal of digital--I went digital on stuff like Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing--though I never play anymore, Ace Combat, Culdcept, and other stuff I can play anytime (and being so plentiful they are just commodities anyway), I still much prefer having physical copies.

I can flip a 20+-year old copy of Earthbound for stupid money. Not so easy to do with digital.

Is MH4U available digitally? If so, I'll return this hard copy I got because gently caress having to carry a cartridge around all the time when I can just have it with me all the time. I already have a 64 gig MicroSD with my (soon to be acquired) New 3DS' name on it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes, it was available online day one.

Whelp! Time to go back to Gamestop and return this poo poo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

For those looking for systems in their area, make sure you check your local Toys 'R Uses... I just checked mine after all the Gamestops, Targets, Best Buys, and Walmarts were out, and it had them in stock. Bought it online for store pickup and when I showed up they had about 10 of each color sitting on the shelf, plus a promotion for $10 off if you also buy Majora's Mask with it, which I did. Also grabbed a spiffy Power A universal charging kit that has a car charger, a multi-prong cable that's pretty long (6ft) and the standard AC adapter for $15. Not a bad deal at all, if I do say so myself.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

How long is MH4 taking to DL from the eShop for the rest of you? I set it downloading and it's been going for an hour with no sign of stopping... I normally get 2.5 MB/sec off stuff like Steam, wondering how lovely Nintendo's servers are right now... considering it's Nintendo, I'm going to assume really lovely.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it took like 15-20 minutes for me. Are you downloading it in sleep mode? Anytime I've downloaded stuff that way it was super slow

Tried it both ways, seems to be taking its sweetass time either way.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ivy posted:

I don't think there are any white colored 3DSes in America yet, but the black and red ones also have the SNES-style buttons.

When did the DS NOT have SNES style buttons? I seem to recall the DS Lite had the same SNES layout, too...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

He's talking about the Super Famicom colored buttons. Something that NA did not get on their SNES's.

Why the hell does everyone keep making a huge deal out of that, anyway? OH MY GOD THE BUTTONS HAVE DIFFERENT COLORS. :what:

I'd have cared if the Y and X were concave whilst the A and B were convex. That'd be pretty nice. Even still, the North American SNES controller looked better in my opinion, anyway.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Canned Panda posted:

I decided to get Monster Hunter 4 last night.

I have no idea what's going on yet (I haven't really had much of a chance to play it yet either), but I love having this smug bastard as my hunter

I picked the same face and eyes, except my guy has a rockin' afro. :hfive:

Does the 3DS really need a screen protector? I mean, you never touch the top screen and it folds over, so...

Should I invest in one? Will it interfere with the sensitivity of the bottom touch screen?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The rear end Stooge posted:

That's pretty much exactly what it is. It feels weird at first, but I got used to it really quickly and now have no trouble with extremely precise aiming in Snake Eater.

Snake Eater doesn't run any better on the N3DS, does it? I had heard the framerate on it is garbage, and I assume they will never actually patch it to take advantage of the extra cores, but the new system has twice the RAM so maybe it performs slightly better? Maybe? :pray:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Policenaut posted:

Oh yeah, there we go. Not getting the regular sized model is starting to hurt now. Oh well, at least I got my Monster Hunter bundle!

Better than your hands hurting from the cramps of using the tiny regular!

Also, new thread title:

New Nintendo 3DS: Get Latex gloves, learn to screw, free jerky with purchase.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Get contact lenses.

There is <5% of the glasses wearing population that physically cannot wear contacts for whatever reasons. Grow a pair and learn to poke your finger into your eyeballs if you want your games in 3D.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

How the hell do they not have SNES games on Virtual Console? What the gently caress is that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The processor can't handle emulating it. If we're very very lucky, maybe it's possible on the n3DS hardware.

Wait, seriously? You could emulate SNES on a regular DS Lite... like, really easily. That is the dumbest excuse I've ever heard Nintendo give, wow.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also I'd like to thank whoever donated to the TG Sanity fund.

:cawg:

I knew it wouldn't last more than a month.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fuzz posted:

For those looking for a grip for their New XL:

http://www.eachmall.com/goods-43600-51876.html

Worth a shot, for me it ended up being just over $7 for shipping to NJ, so I'm gonna try it out and see if it's a flimsy piece of poo poo or actually pretty good. We'll see!

Quoting from the Monster Hunter thread, gonna see how it pans out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

io_burn posted:

Welp gently caress it, $17 down the drain. I could've had people scout three 3DS's for that and had some leftover for jerky. :mad:

Do you not own a phone? I mean, clearly you have the internet, so that could have helped.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

This would be nicer if it had some sort of flap with a button or latch to prevent the thing from sliding out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

infraboy posted:

I read for a few weeks before release about the new 3ds coming out, I hadn't bought a nintendo item since the first wii, I forgot that there always seems to be a shortage of nintendos latest hardware on release day, so on Wednesday, 5 days after release, I looked at the closest Target and Best Buy stores, definitely all sold out. Today, looked at Target's website after work, found out they had some red ones in stock at the San Rafael store in California, went there straight after work and found they one last red one sitting in the case, found the closest electronics guy and said i'd take it, picked up a copy of Pokemon too, Monster Hunter out of stock, guy at register said they only had 2 copies since release WTF. Of course I just realized the DSi charger works for it, but not my old DS, guess it's off to Target to grab the charger and check for Monster Hunter.

Buy it on the eShop?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone actually own this? What does it look like on the n3DS?

I'm trying to get something that makes the bottom side of the 3DS look more flush for aspy reasons.

e: Found it on eBay Looks good. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CYBER-Push-Guard-Black-for-NEW-Nintendo-3DS-LL-XL-/161604900969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a0671869

$23 for a plastic cover to go over your games? Wow, what a rip.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I haven't had any luck selling my 3ds xl here (HINT HINT) so I'm going the craigslist weirdo route this week to see if I can sell it

Nobody wants your sweaty, disgusting old3DS.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

I'm getting tempted to import some of these faceplates for the inevitable NA release of that console.

Probably won't happen, and after getting hand cramps playing MH4 on this XL, I can't imagine playing on something EVEN SMALLER.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Are there any good "handle" cases for the N3DS yet?

I dunno, but I ordered one of these:
http://www.eachmall.com/goods-43600-51876.html

And it should be coming sometime this week, hopefully. I'll have a review up with pics and crap after I've broken it in with some monster hunts.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FormaldehydeSon posted:

no, Sky3DS can only play games from the console's region on N3DS. But when Gateway releases their update that supports N3DS, that will be able to play games from any region.

This won't get you banned online, will it? Like I don't mean playing "backups" online, I just mean playing anything off the Gateway while you're connected to the internet. How does this work? Can it allow you to toss, say, ScummVM on there? Is there even a DS version of ScummVM? Because that would RULE.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

This is the only grip I've found that I think works for the N3DS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3DS-LL-...=item1e99de8d9a

It just looks kind of odd in the pictures and I don't want to spend that much on something I might not like. I'm getting desperate, the circle pad pro on the regular XL was perfect as a grip.

That one looks way more comfy than the one I linked 2 pages back, but then again that one is only $7 shipped while this is the cost of a game. If the one I got ends up being lovely, I'll probably grab this thing, though... I like the longer arms on it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tested.com has a really good article about this. I'm not linking it directly as it has links to emulators embedded in it just in case, but here's two relevant quotes;

Nintendo has no intention of settling for the former.

Except if each game already has a tweaked emulator, I'm sure at least a couple of SNES games could work with emulation on a 3DS... mainly the ones without any Mode 7 or that special rastering, like Super Mario World or LttP.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Anora posted:

I refuse to believe that until I see a "Posted from my n3dsxl" under a post.

I think we can get Nintendo to approve an Awful app. :shepface:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I bought Smash, MH4, and Link Between Worlds all off the eShop and none of them gave me coins. I have a whopping like, 8 coins because I only play at home.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

enojy posted:

Those are different coins; "play coins." Log in at Club Nintendo to see if you have any product registration surveys that can be filled out to redeem "bought about 700 dollars worth of games to get a desk calendar made of paperboard coins."

Then what the hell are play coins for?

EDIT: And just get a 64GB G.Skill micro SD and then DOWNLOAD ALL THE THINGS.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

KingSlime posted:

To be fair the classic snes final fantasies were not all that great either

course, the new ones are weird and embarrassing but still

FF6 and Chrono Trigger really have been the only good RPGs to come out of Square in the last 20 years, in my opinion. FF7 might be a distant third, but most of that was just the craziness of the graphics at the time, the storyline was loving retarded.

Oh, and the original Xenogears.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Oh god I caved in and bought a decal for my 3DS:

https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/255983/Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Skin-Black-Woodgrain

Needed that matte finish, because gently caress glossy holy poo poo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sodium Chloride posted:

Why didn't you just buy the blue New XL?

Because he might live in North America?

I would totally have gone with a blue one if they had a brushed blue cobalt one or a navy blue like my old DS Lite. Powder blue is way too bright for me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

io_burn posted:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

What the gently caress is this smdyff poo poo, and why is everyone on the forums suddenly posting it. Seen it a bunch of times in the last couple weeks. loving hate dumb internet acronyms. :argh:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Anyone that says Chrono Trigger was a bad game is an rear end in a top hat and should go wander into traffic.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Just found a used copy of OoT 3D for $35 in basically mint condition. :woop:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

SO I have over 200 coins worth of poo poo on the Club Nintendo site, except it's all locked away behind surveys that the lovely site won't let me submit. Awesome.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So I got my coins all squared away, and I need 50 more to get a cool game for cool people. What's a cheap/easy/worthwhile way to get 50 more Club Coins? I've heard Kid Icarus Uprising is pretty good, as is New Super Mario Land 3D or whatever it's called... would either of those still give coins if I bought them on the eShop? I got coins for Super Smash Bros and A Link Between Worlds when I bought them last week. (50 each, 40 for the purchase survey and then 10 for the post-play one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

precision posted:

I got 50 total coins for buying Azran Legacy a couple days ago so it's worth a shot maybe?

... is that any good?