Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

loudog999 posted:

I've been hoarding all of my 3ds games waiting until the new one came out. Now that it has I have way too many games and no ideas where to start. I'm looking at either link between worlds, fantasy life, mh4u, or Majora's mask. It's a good problem to have.

Link Between Worlds is the best Zelda game since LTTP.

Soooooo.

e: I'm playing MM using the zeldadungeon.net walkthrough and am having fun when I never even got to the first temple on the N64. I think I'll end up liking this more than OOT (which I've never finished, though a 3DS copy is in the mail).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

I have this theory that OoT is simply not a good game and is only so well-liked across boards because it's the first 3D Zelda. Majora's Mask is emo as hell and trippy and weird, so even if the gameplay was bad, people would say the tone carries it.

OOT did for 3rd person action games what Mario 64 did for 3rd person platformers, but LTTP is just better in every way, and it holds up better in retrospect since it isn't a blurry N64 game.

Also OOT felt like a retread with the 3 dungeon, Master Sword, dark world routine. I still remember being let down at just how empty OOT felt compared to a screenshot of a sprawling city pre-release. Just wasn't what I was hoping it'd be.

Doesn't help that LTTP is probably in my top 5 of ever, :shrug:. That game owns.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

greatn posted:

Why the gently caress is Ocarina of Time 3DS $50 used (45 if you're a pro member!) at GameStop?

Pretty sure I bought this game for < $30 on eShop a few months ago, and I know it's less than fifty on there. Do GameStop think that's the only way to buy the game anymore and they have the last copies in existence?

That's still way cheaper than what you could get them for on Amazon when I last looked. OOT's not the easiest game to find these days. I think it may have only gotten the one print run, and there's a lot more 3DSes now than when it was released.

edit:

Amazon: $80 new, from $67.90 used.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

SatansBestBuddy posted:

What the gently caress kind of mail service would leave an obviously heavy and expensive package on somebody's porch when they're not home to sign for it?!?! That sounds like an excellent way for it to get stolen.

This is how 95% of residential UPS and FedEx deliveries happen. The value of the item isn't written on the box, so the courier has no idea. But mainly that courier has too much to deliver, and if he waited around to get signatures at every stop, he wouldn't have a job very long. If you want a package to get signed for, you as the customer should set that up, because a courier is only concerned with getting every package off his truck before the committment times.

I may have worked for a shipping company :ssh:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Tormented posted:

I just bought the new 3ds. This is my first portable system since my PSP days. I'm debating that I should have gotten a Vita instead but I think I know all of one person with it. Anything I should know and what games are good to grab for someone looking for a deep gaming experience?

Fire Emblem: Awakening, SMT4, the Monster Hunter games. The Pokemon games get deep if you're crazy about EV poo poo. Also there's other RPGs I haven't played like a couple Etrian Odyssey games, Persona Q, etc.

Don't sleep on poo poo like Mario 3D Land. Not the deepest gaming experience or whatever, but it's the best 3D Mario game, sooooo.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Hey man, go ingest some sexual organs, I need me a N3DSXL!!!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The New3DSXL thread is much funnier than the old 3DS thread.

I think you mean the Nintendo New 3DS XL thread, mister.

io_burn posted:

Is Pokemon Shuffle Nintendo's first foray into free to play stuff? I know they've had a few games with microtransactions but as far as the whole you get X lives and they recharge in Y minutes thing like Candy Crush, this is the first one right?

I can't think of anything else. As silly as "MARIO SHOULD BE ON iOS" is, it really is kinda weird that Nintendo hasn't tried to get in on the F2P train considering that's how an awful lot of their target audience plays games these days.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Has anybody bought used 3DS games from Gamestop online? Did it come loose or in a case? I doubt it did, but it'd be nice.

e: :lol: mail just came. Generic black case. Bummer.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 18, 2015

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Skeezy posted:

I've had it come with a generic case most of the time, but one time it came packaged in a little slip.

Yeah I got a blank black one. Might buy a cheapo complete game and hit up cover project.

e: someone beat this copy of OOT, and there are three Master Quest files all named Mr. Butts. Neat.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If you need to, you can get replacement white cases from Nintendo themselves.

Thanks for this, owns.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I was finally able to exchange my N3DSXL that had the stuck pixel. My new one has a speck of dust under the screen in nearly the exact same spot. :v:

Just gonna deal with it as it's easier to ignore than a red light shining when it's not supposed to, but :sigh:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just a heads up, today I was at Gamestop (they had a copy of MH4U), and the guy said that Xenoblade Chronicles was going to be preorder only, so if you're even on the fence about getting it, you might wanna throw $5 on a preorder now.

Yayyyy more Nintendo scarcity :neckbeard:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

he's lying. Xenoblade 3DS is going to be available on the eShop.

Yeah, but Nintendo digital games? Ehhh...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

Wait, what? That can't be true. Why the hell would they limit the Nu3DS's first true launch title?

Because they're probably afraid of over-saturating for a small segment of their portable market, I guess. Or maybe Gamestop's the one only doing preorders.

But if GS's only doing preorders, it's probably gonna be hard to find.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

Their small segment of the portable market is gonna stay that way if they continue worrying about over-saturation. They need a product that truly sells the new hotness, and limiting said product is stupid.

Yeah, but how many DSi games came out?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

The new 3DS is very clearly getting a stronger push than the DSi ever did.

I agree, it's getting a game :v:

WERE there any DSi retail releases?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I have the DS version of Chrono Trigger, and I think the text is too small. Next time I wanna play it, I might buy the PSP version and deal with the loading just so I don't go blind.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Jadaris posted:

And if you are left handed? Just take it in the rear end?

What

I don't

Did anyone mention handedness or am I having a stroke

e: oh, flyboi did, kind of?

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 28, 2015

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

What hand you use to screw with also determines which end of the screwdriver to use. It goes like:

Clockwise threads right handed = pointy end
Counterlockwise threads right handed = handle
Clockwise threads left handed = pointy end
Counterlockwise threads left handed = handle

Great, now the screwdriver's in my rear end somehow.

I'm right handed, how did we get here?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I can't decide whether to play Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask, Fire Emblem: Awakening

Play them in that order because that's shortest to longest if I'm not mistaken

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

How does it take internet people so long to take a poo poo, I hate being in the bathroom. I go in I take a poo poo and get out. I don't sit there and read a book on my iPad for gods sake. Or play games or whatever you are talking about. It's unsanitary.

I read your post in the bathroom. I've not really taken a video game into the bathroom since I started using iPhones.

Does this count as poo poo posting?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Housh posted:

That's my fear. I loved OoT as a kid and the thought of it on a timer like the overworld is just dungeon on a timer sounds stressful and not fun. I do like the weird stuff though and I want to know who Tingle is.

You can slow down time to the point that it doesn't matter. There's also fast travel in the 3DS version.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only change to the Fast Travel system is it gives you the Song for it as you enter the Swamp, rather than at an awful point near the end of getting to the first Temple.

Ah, guess I never made it to fast travel in the 64 version :shrug:

I'm enjoying Majora's Mask now as an adult since I've discovered I enjoy Rogue-likes like Rogue Legacy, Spelunky and The Binding of Isaac. Tastes change, turns out!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Haruharuharuko posted:

I got KI:U from the club nintendo coin deal and the game is an amazing fun great looking game that has without a doubt the worst controls I've ever had the misfortune of playing and it bums me the gently caress out because it looks great.

Yeah, that game has garbage controls that actively cause discomfort and pain for a lot of people.

I'd take a Kid Icarus game that played that way on the Wii U with Wii Remote or dual stick controls, cause then it'S Sin and Punishment, but it's basically unplayable on a 3DS, IMO.

Lofty132 posted:

I bought MM physical and feel I should avoid buying any 3DS game digital due to the Ocarina situation. Is that sensible or should I just get over it?

Eh, worry about playing games you buy instead of reselling them, cause there's no telling which games are gonna be rare, and you won't become rich selling a 3DS game $20 above MSRP anyway.

If anything I stay away from digital Nintendo releases just because they still handle the technical side of them terribly. But it's nice that they're there in case I have to play an old rare game that I can't find.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 1, 2015

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Looper posted:

Are there any series where you should play newer games before older games?

There's an argument to be made that you should play Metal Gear Solid in chronological order rather than sequential order, if only to not be so confused about the plot.

But I've finished every Solid game except Peace Walker, and I still can't make heads or tails of 90% of the story, so :shrug:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

MGS should be played in release order and not chronological order.

I said there was an argument to be made, not that I would make it :colbert:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

explosivo posted:

Are there any good Castlevania games available on the marketplace for download? I'd love to re-play SOTN but I don't think that's going to make it's way to the 3DS anytime soon.

SOTN's not on any Nintendo platform. At least a couple of the GBA ones are on the Wii U eShop, but nothing on 3DS IIRC.

e: Amazon's got the DS ones for about $20-25 new, btw. I've been fighting the urge to rebuy all of them lately.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

Dump the crab too. Now I want a new 2d castlevania or metroid.

I've been waiting since I finished Ecclesia. :(

I really enjoyed those line of Castlevanias.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Dubious posted:

if you want a MM 3ds and MM collector edition, go here now:

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/consoles/nintendo-new-3ds-xl-majoras-mask-complete-zelda-bundle/120653

this wil be sold out in minutes most likely.

:lol: sold out.

Monster Hunter 4 Bundle still up

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

The next Nintendo platform will unify the handheld and home consoles into one thing, like a mix between a Wii U/3DS/Vita. You'll be able to play all games at home on a television or on the controller's 720p screen. The internet capabilities will still be lacking, and there will be no voice chat.

It will launch with Mario Kart 9, Pokemon Black The Third and a $5 port of the original Super Mario Bros. on the new and improved eShop.

It will be called the Wii 3, for some reason.

e: No 3D.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I took my 3DS to Gamestop last week and didn't get a street pass. Like, their in store demo unit wasn't even set up for it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Order of Ecclesia, hands loving down. But yeah, get them all and play through.

Play this one last. I remember it being the most difficult, IIRC. Plus it's better than Portrait of Ruin, and you wanna go out on a high note.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Kevin Bacon posted:

Is it worth picking up a N3DS just for the games available on the system? I don't have any long commutes and I don't travel a lot, so the fact that it's portable isn't really a selling-point to me. Probably seems ridiculous (or maybe not? I've always had the impression that people get a 3DS because they need something on the go, and the alternative is... well... the Vita), but I've always kind of wanted one, and with the recent release of Monster Hunter 4 it seems a lot more attractive.

I play my 3DS and Vita exclusively at home since I live in a place where you have to drive everywhere you go. 3DS is great because it has a lot of games you cannot play anywhere else, not because it goes wherever you go, though that is a plus.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

DaveKap posted:

Anyone have a source for New 3DS replacement parts? Back plates are on back order on the official shop and I can't find shells or front plates on sale anywhere except for original 3DS's.

What did you break and more importantly how?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

DaveKap posted:

Oh, nothing broke. My friend wants to get artsy on it and I'd rather he do that on parts that are OK to break.

store.nintendo.com's only carrying backplates right now. It's probably still a bit early for there to be lots of replacement parts out there.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Digital doesn't really affect cart prices, surprisingly. You can get Earthbound on Wii U, but its price is $200 now, higher than ever.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

So uhhh... Anyone know some good decal girl skins?

e: I'm an idiot, please help me hide my shame.

Is there a way to make pictures thread titles?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Are there any other N3DS exclusives on the horizon?

This is true until the next Nintendo portable releases, and even then it's true for like another year or so.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Does Kid Icarus work with the second nub of the New 3DS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

That's a shame. I couldn't get into it at release because of the controls. I just wanted it to be like Sin and Punishment, I guess.