Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Phone posted:

I have a 3DS XL right now and I'm looking to probably get a Japanese New 3DS non-XL (or LL for those in the know). Anybody have an idea how the Japanese eShop works and if I can just buy a bunch of pre-loaded cash cards to pick up games that way?

I just use my Canadian Visa with no issue on the JP e-shop (I live in Canada).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
While I can understand the appeal of digital--I went digital on stuff like Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing--though I never play anymore, Ace Combat, Culdcept, and other stuff I can play anytime (and being so plentiful they are just commodities anyway), I still much prefer having physical copies.

I can flip a 20+-year old copy of Earthbound for stupid money. Not so easy to do with digital.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Kaubocks posted:

counterpoints:
1) digital is very convenient and owns very hard
2) I don't think it's really fair to compare the resell value of a 20-year-old, cult-favorite, physical-only game with the games of today that often become devalued in a year due to digital sales and whatnot

But I didn't argue against digital? I went digital on stuff I'll likely play over and over on a whim, as opposed to stuff like DQ7, Bravely Default, Ace Attorneys, stuff I play once and done.

Point 2, there's a tongue planted firmly in cheek. I have tons of old games in pristine condition only because I'm a pack rat and not trying to turn a buck on them.

I just like physical copies. They look nice on my bookshelf where I keep my amiibos.

I mean, as investments go, video games are sinkholes.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 16, 2015

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Wamdoodle posted:

It wouldn't be lost. It is tied to your NNID. The only risk is losing your saves.

There. I knew there had to be another reason I much prefer physical copy over digital.
I'd go insane if I lost hundreds of hours of JRPG progress, Animal Crossing, Pokemon...

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

DaveKap posted:

I only very recently managed to hit the max # of spotpass slots (didn't even know it was a thing) on my 3DS. Does the nu3DS have more spotpass slots or no?

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood the question. Same at twelve.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 21, 2015

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I was tinkering around with my old 3DXL and just now realized how much better N3DSXL is at keeping a stable 3D image.
That head-tracking thing works wonders--looking at the old one in 3D made for queasiness, like when I first got 3DS.
I love this thing.

For reference, I have no problem seeing in 3D.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

precision posted:

special edition 3DS's are for people who spend more time looking at them than playing them :colbert:

precision posted:

The GBA Micro looks like a cheap Chinese knock-off to me :shrug:

"Again and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: 'I am sure they are sour.'”

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
About these Decalgirl stickers, how well do they stay on?
Do they leave a sticky residue if you peel them off after you get bored/wear (do they?)/shift from feverish Smash play?
The New XL being glossy on the outside I suppose will be more amenable to stickers, but what about on the inside's matte plastic?
I'm just worried I might be peeling off the stickers from my habit of stuffing the 3DS in my jacket pocket (no goon am I) beside my car keys, change, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 15, 2015

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Holy gently caress. FE x SMT is happening.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
...It looks kind of dreadful, though.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Box Boy's a ton of fun. Cheap, too, and not as frustrating as Pushmo or Crashmo.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
JP: Popolocrois x Harvest Moon crossover. Huh. There goes another Sony IP cast adrift.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
JP: Rhythm Heaven the Best Plus sequel. Over 100 minigames including remixes and new tunes for old games. Mid June.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

RoboCicero posted:

What's that one in the middle? A third mode or additional episode stuff?

Yes. In Japan, the two campaigns are treated as separate games. You can buy the third campaign as DLC for 2000 yen to go with either of the two versions.
The bundle, you get the DLC included in the price, though I imagine you have to wait for it to be completed.
The bundle also includes an art book, some FE TCG cards, and on Amazon JP, a mouse pad and a sheet of stickers as well.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Better be an oppai mousepad.

No, you want the other FE. The dreadfully anime looking SMT collaboration. I think I'm going to give that as wide a berth as Girls Mode.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Girls Mode is a fun game that you can enjoy without giving a crap about any of the fashion stuff, and they do get a little less Bratz-y each time, thankfully.

Being an NCL-branded title, I imagine it to be a relatively solid and robust small business simulator behind the sugarcoating.
But come on, a guy in his fifties playing Girls Mode is just too many shades of wrong.
When I get granddaughters, maybe, on the pretense of teaching them to read and perform simple arithmetic tricks.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I had my misgivings about the JP FE If bundle (both White Night and Black Night on one cart, access to the DLC third story arc, art book, FE TCG cards, and on Amazon a mouse pad and sticker sheet), but I went ahead and preordered it at 10,000 yen (around 90 bucks). Less than 24 hours later, the bundle's being flipped at over triple. (I can't see this price holding.)

The Splatoon amiibo 3-pack (also preordered)'s also being flipped at nearly triple, too.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Stealthed Zombie posted:

I was looking up the Xenoblade 3DS port download size and it's apparently like 23000-28000 blocks. Which...is a lot even for a 32 gig card. But at least I don't have to go to a store to buy it!

Yeah, they're saying max 3.6GB, 29,500 blocks.
They already had to release a patch to ver 1.1 to fix some mono-audio glitches in music in SE, so even the package version needs to download stuff to SD card.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I decided I'm not going to wait until May to play JP Xenoblade (having it sent together with WU Xenoblade Cross), and bought it at the JP E-shop.

It's gorgeous.

It's as if I'm playing the Wii version using the N3DSLL as the control pad and monitor. I imagine there has to be a graphic downgrade from Wii's 480P (it is, right? techheads please correct me if I'm wrong) to 3DS's 240P display, but being on that tiny screen the backgrounds and such are fantastically intricate and beautiful. (Character models still look rear end, though. On the flipside, equipment changes are represented on the models, so it's a lot more satisfying than the likes of non-MMO Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests where character models remain unchanged even if you get ultra-rare/expensive/controversial gear you want to show off.)
The C-nub works perfectly smoothly for shifting camera views. However, because the camera tends to be somewhat distant from the player character, the 3D effect isn't all that noticeable.

The text is tiny but perfectly legible without reading glasses for me.

There's a new mode in which you can spend tokens (obtained by street passes, interfacing Shulk amiibo, etc.) to obtain 3D character models and soundtrack tunes.

It seems identical to the Wii version so far, except that it's stinking fast to save and load, relative to the original. (There is still some blackscreening.)

It swipes all the great ideas from Final Fantasies and other brand-name JRPGs and melds them into one great whole wide world.
It's the greatest Final Fantasy that Square has never delivered after the SFC years.

Buy.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Kin posted:

It's Xenoblade Wii on a 3DS。

Well, yeah. And that's why I find it utterly astonishing.
Pokemon was what, eighteen years ago in glorious spinach green?
Now, we get Xenoblade on a handheld in 3D with no noticeable downgrade in quality from Wii. (I didn't dig very deep, but was the original Wii version 4.8GB in international format? The JP N3DS version is 3.6GB, so there had to be data savings to be had, even allowing for the multiple languages.)

I guess I'm just old--I find the pace of technological progress nothing short of magical. Good times!

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Original Wii disc was 7.9GB. Course, it had full English and Japanese voice acting, so cutting one of those out would probably drop a couple gigs.

Oh, OK, thanks. The N3DS outing retains full voice (in JP only, of course).
I just love that it's on my little handheld in pristine quality.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

A Big... Dog posted:

Xenoblade seems pretty good so far. Mostly got it because everyone kept comparing it to FF 12, my favourite game of all time and I ain't kiddin.

drat though these kids need to shut up during battle

Is it just me, or did they tone down the amount of EXP needed to level? I haven't reached Colony 6 yet, but nothing aggroes me anymore at just level 22. (Ignoring the scary night-time 70+ natives, and the odd 30+ insects in caves.)
In the Wii version, I was under constant attack in the same area by mid-teen wolves, tarkins, and even triceratops.
I think I was playing at around the same pace, too. Constantly scouring towns, bases, etc., for subquests.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Suaimhneas posted:

Also they fixed the bug from the original version where a weapon's max damage was capped at minimum damage + 99, regardless of what the damage range was supposed to be.

The result of this is that so far (just got to Gaur Plain) Reyn is completely unable to keep aggro off of Shulk, I think I need to find a more damaging weapon for him. The Monado's pretty powerful when it can use its full damage range! :v:

At L25, Shulk rattles off 5000+ damage in back attacks, while Reyn's doing high three digits.
Good luck trying to keep hate off Shulk. (Have to use hate-relieving and hate-taking skills a lot more--it is the way it should be.)

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Ragequit posted:

It has been my dream to interrupt every person I meet in Japan by screaming "It's REYN TIME" in their native tongue.

I think it's, "Ore ni makasetoke!" (Let me handle this!)
It gets old pretty fast.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah it's the marsh, there was a swamp area that was filled with frogs namely and did poison damage. Had a level 80 something bird flying around and if I got spotted well RIP that chance.

A nopon beside the merchant tells you it's unsafe at night.
Change the clock to daytime and you'll be fine.

Even around Colony 9, there were Lv70+ birds at night.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
The JP cart version of Xenoblade had to be patched almost immediately after release for music and sound effects cutting out.
Have they had to do that with the E version?

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
More Zelda codes:

B0HHLBNG281S56J5
B0HGQLDJ1FNCJ8NW
B0HXG31P2LYBHWHH

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I bought one physical copy of Picross 3D-2 that I can share with my kids as opposed to buying three separately digital.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Saoshyant posted:

Yay.
..I think? Wasn't it a really big money trap back in Japan?

The Badge thing is free to download, and it gives you five free tries/day at a demo unit with silhouetted badges.
The demo unit doesn't let you keep these silhouetted badges, but it keeps a count of them and awards you a free try at a real badge machine for every ten silhouettes collected.
There are also 1- and 3-free play badges hidden among the silhouettes, so on average, one gets at least one free play a day.
I paid around three bucks when the service started because I wanted some badges that serve as functional icons (for Miiverse, camera, sound, settings, etc.), but have since quit paying because of all the free plays.
I have nearly 700 badges now.

Also, these badges can be added to folders.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Even if they say "last day" on a set of badges, they usually come around again.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Japan just added Hello Kitty badges, plus some other hyper-popular-over-there Sanrio characters like Kero Kero Keroppi, their pudding dog, Kira Kira Kids (or something like that), etc.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

gameface posted:

When I saw Kira Kira Kids, the first thing I thought of was Kirby's Star Stacker, more specifically the SFC version that never got localized. I have a feeling that's not what you mean though.

Yeah, when I wrote that initially, I realized that I wrote about the Kirby puzzler.
Turns out the Sanrio characters I meant were Kiki and Lala, so I was in the ball park at least.

Also, finally finished playing Picross 3D-2. It took me nearly 160 hours to get a platinum finish. FYI, I'm pretty good at Picross (the E titles usually take around 30 to complete--but the last one was a lot harder with Megapicross puzzles galore and about double the usual volume).
It's a big improvement over the DS original with automatic wiping of "0" columns and rows, three kinds of breakable blocks in two colors instead of just one, and the ability to temporarily color unbroken blocks (for instance, if there are no more blue blocks in a row, you can color it all yellow as a guide).
There's well over 300 puzzles in over 50 theme books, each with five to eight puzzles ranging in size from around 6 x 6 x 6 to a max of around 10 x 10 x 10, with plenty of variations.
Some books require the puzzles be solved with zero errors (since there's saving anytime, this isn't very onerous), and there are some with puzzles that come together to make one giant object.
There are three levels of difficulty.
You need to rack up points or complete puzzles or books to open later books, so one eventually has to play at the hardest mode to get everything to open up.
It's a very worthy addition to the Picross family. I'd buy more.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 20, 2015

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

gameface posted:

Now that I think about it, I'm now curious what would happen if you just completely struck out on the practice board. Would the rabbit give you a free play out of pity, or would you be completely SOL?

He gives you a fresh set of five tries on the practice board if you fail completely.
Haven't tried failing completely twice.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Pokemon Picross does have you reaching for the wallet pretty quickly and hard, but for my one-time $30-and-done deal, I've already clocked in over eleven hours with at least eighteen stages to go, a full thirty stages of Mega Picross, not to mention all the backtracking to complete missions, hidden puzzles, etc.
I'm pretty certain I'll get my money's worth (for reference, Picross 3D-2 took me over 140 hours to platinum every puzzle)--after all it's just the cost of a movie outing for one.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

homeless snail posted:

Whoa, is that how much movies cost over there?

AVX or 3D's around $15, tack on overpriced pop corn and a beverage, factor in the gas, and yeah, around thirty bucks.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Not a Children posted:

I can't believe I spent $5 on a F2P Pokemon game

I'll probably just end up buying the big package so I can Picross without limits, but it's a little shameful. At least it seems like it's a full-featured Picross game. Just wish it had more music/themes...

Yeah, I hate to say it, but the first five bucks won't carry you all that far.
I think each new stage takes ten picrites per stage level to open, so your thousand will be exhausted pretty quickly.
(You also need to spend 500 right away for access to the mega evolutions, too.)
Other dumb restrictions like depleted energy and recharge times for used Pokemon abilities also make things tedious.
I just bought it outright. It's not like I haven't spent more money on far worse games.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

enojy posted:

Alright, so I've decided to throw a god dang dollar at Pokemon Picross, because it's definitely worth (at the very least) a dollar to me. I'm trying to just get that one-time 200 picrites for $0.99, but there doesn't seem to be a way to "add required funds" in game -- it defaults to a minimum of $10, which I don't feel like dumping into the eShop. Am I missing something? Is there any way to just add $0.99 (or $1.00) to the eShop?

That one-time 200 won't get you very far. Open maybe three or four new stages in the very early going (but not later--I think the last stage cost 250 to open).
It won't even cover the one-time 500-picrite mega-evo item's cost.
I paid thirty bucks for the whole shebang, but if there's a budget concern, go with the Picross E titles first.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
For reference, Pokemon Picross's standard puzzles took a me shade under sixty hours to 100%, including all missions.
(Had to backtrack and repeat a ton of puzzles because I overlooked missions. On the other hand, I got pretty lazy and was blowing up a lot of bigger panels toward the end with multiple bombers so there was only mopping up to do afterwards. I think they detract from the pure Picross experience, but when one's repeating puzzles...)
I have most of one multi-panel puzzle left out of two, and the vast majority of the Mega Picross side is untouched.
So, say around 120 hours to 100% everything? (Don't plan on doing that. I figure I'll just play the Mega side normally without worrying about the dumb missions.)

I figure I've pissed away thirty bucks much faster and in less satisfying ways, so I came out ahead.

Most of the Picross E titles take me around 22-ish hours, though the later ones with Mega Picross as well have taken increasingly longer. (E6 jumped to nearly sixty hours to 100%.)

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

epitasis posted:

playing the original gameboy pokemons sounds exhausting to me like its taken them 30 years to put in the few quality of life improvements that they got around to in X and Y and i would sooner die then give them up

I couldn't agree more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

It's more of the same, except Cubey can now make two sets of blocks.

I couldn't be any more delighted.