Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Fryhtaning posted:

I can't watch conversations between those two without this guy popping into my head.

I think I'm the only other person in this thread who knows who this is.

In other news, I walked into a Gamestop yesterday and asked if they had a Majora's Mask New XL, the girl went into the back and came back with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Haquer posted:

No clue, but the MMn3DS looks loving awful, don't buy it
Except it doesn't? It looks nicer than my LBW XL.

RadicalR posted:

So I'm about to go pick up my nu3DSXL. I should be able to bring it home, put the card in, do a transfer, and then hopefully take the old one back to the store to get the trade in value. Right?
Do the system transfer before swapping the SD cards.

Some Gamestops seem to be allowing what you're suggesting based on what people have been posting in the thread but YMMV.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Don't think I can recommend any 3ds games that haven't already been mentioned. Pokemon X/Y/ORAS, 3D Land, Bravely Default, SMTIV, Etrian Odyssey games, Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton games. Kid Icarus Uprising was fun, but the controlling it was awful and made my hands hurt.

I've really enjoyed discovering DS games, though. I never had a DS and I've been going through it's games and have found some really good ones.

Dragon Quest IV
Final Fantasy III (though you should just play Bravely Default instead)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Chrono Trigger (never played the original, the port is very good)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
SMT: Devil Survivor
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
The World Ends with You

Yeah I'd recommend Final Fantasy IV DS over III, and also SMT: Devil Survivor has an enhanced port for 3DS, so there's not much point in playing the original DS one.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Haquer posted:

Do you find it difficult playing games on your 3DS, since you're blind?
Well being an idiot doesn't seem to prevent you from posting!!! Haha owned.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

If anything, know-nothing parents are better at RTFM than the average goon. In reality, the system transfer stuff is really well-documented on Nintendo's site. It even has an idiot-proof self-guided FAQ for every specific upgrade path.
I think this is it, it's the easiest loving thing and everyone seems incredibly obsessed about it being complicated. Considering people have likely swapped out their system's SD card for a bigger one (if they're concerned about the 4GB card not being big enough), they're surely ok with copying files from one SD card to another.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

This just arrived today lmao

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you don't have any eShop games or any save data, it sounds like you didn't copy things across correctly. Make sure that you copy the full "Nintendo 3DS" folder (or whatever it's called) from the old SD card to your PC, then copy that entire folder to the root of the microSD. There shouldn't be anything else on the microSD.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Dear Livejournal,

I've had more fun with my 3DS in 4 days than I had with my PS4 in 6 months.

Love,
Marty
3DS and WiiU are the best

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

I know at one point I pulled my Vita out from my drawer after having not used it for at least 2 weeks and I guess I had left it in sleep mode the whole time. drat thing still turned on.
vita.txt

See, Sony were actually being clever by not releasing any games for the Vita so that they could show off just how good the battery life is while it's in sleep mode.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

precision posted:

I never heard about a DSiXL

It also occurs to me that I have owned six DS systems in the past 10 years :psyduck: Phat, Lite, two DSi, 2DS, Nu3DSXL
Why on earth would you buy 2 DSi's if you weren't aware of the DSiXL?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

Been playing the poo poo out of 3DS since last Friday, M&L Dream Team is a lot of fun, Super Mario 3D Land is amazing and SMTIV is good but it's seriously kicking my rear end just in the first training dungeon. Any tips?
I think this got missed over, but the start of the game is actually really balls hard. It was the first main SMT game I'd ever played (I'd only played a little Devil Survivor prior to it). The best tip is to recruit as many demons as you can into your party as soon as you start. Don't try to kill them, just negotiate, and don't be afraid to be a prick to them or try to deceive them if their demands are unrealistic. If you fail, don't be afraid to just reload your save. Also, save often!

Once you have a decent party, you want to be hitting weak points in battles, it'll mean you'll get more turns and have a higher chance of smirking (smirking gives you a higher chance of a critical hit, and a higher chance that you'll evade an attack).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The only bad Nintendo news right now is that I didn't have much chance to play Nintendo this weekend, aside from an hour or so of Metroid Prime this afternoon. :smith:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Is Nintendo planning on releasing any matte new3DS XLs?
Let me check with my

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you want you can format it in Windows first, but otherwise just copy the files from the old card to your PC, then copy them from your PC to the new card. The files and folder structure needs to be identical or it won't work.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Guys guys guys, I'm on the tram on my way to work and the guy next to me is playing 3DS.

It's an OG model though, not a New.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Fix posted:

Have we had anybody who has had their system transfer fail and lose their old save data? Have we heard any solutions to that save data transfer failure? I hear the old system gets formatted. Asking for a friend.
You could try playing the Song of Time and starting it again.

Otherwise your friend is probably boned. The Source system does get formatted, so if the saves didn't transfer for some reason, they'll likely be gone. I'm not sure if you can cancel the format if it fails. Didn't someone here post a photo of that situation? I think they said that even though it said it failed, the licenses and saves had transferred. Maybe powering the Source system off will stop the format.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

lol at people still complaining about Chapters 5-8 in Bravely Default. You can complete them in less than 2 hours if you really don't like it.

Some of the opinions posted about it in the past page or two are hilariously wrong.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

I disagree about 1. It's not a very long game or hard to find and absolutely everybody should play it at least once. It's one of the most influential and important games ever made, and even though LTTP is a better game in general there are still things that LoZ does better.

edit: I find it constantly astounding that some people recommend never playing any old games. Imagine if people who considered themselves film buffs told people not to bother watching anything older than the late 1990's :shrug:
They're not recommending to never play old games. The original LoZ isn't really as good as what come later, though, and very specifically a lot of the games since the 16-bit era have followed a fairly specific formula.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

If The Legend of Zelda isn't worth playing, what NES or earlier era game is?
As NES Remix shows, very few.

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm not saying it's the best game in the series, but it was a big milestone in gaming and if you're interested in the medium it's worth at least trying it out for the historical value if nothing else.
Sure, it's a historically significant game, but that doesn't mean that you'd recommend it to someone who's trying to get into the Zelda series. Same with the original Metroid, FF1, etc...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I got Monster Hunter 4 yesterday, and a 32gb micro SD. So now I'm all set with my N3DSXL. :getin:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Fremry posted:

I haven't had a new Mii Plaza Puzzle Swap in probably a year. I have 105 pieces across 7 puzzles. The pictures are:

1. Metroid: Other M
2. Mario and Bowser
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. The Legend of Zelda
5. Kirby's Dream Land
6. Pikmin
7. New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Are there any that I'm missing?
A few...

(That's from over a year ago)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I just go outside with my 3DS and get loads of Streetpasses. :confused:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I live in a country with about 4 million people in it, and which has no economy. If I can get Streetpasses, then so can you. I believe in you!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

How long does Download Play stuff normally take? I'm trying to setup a Download Play multiplayer game of Kirby Fighters in Triple Deluxe, and the 3DS which is receiving the game has just said "Please Wait" for about 25 minutes now.

e: Wait I'm totally dumb lol.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 15, 2015

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

precision posted:

Huh, I could have sworn I saved in the middle of the last trial in Layton v. Wright but I guess it was a mid-trial checkpoint.

I also feel very stupid because I know in at least one of the original Phoenix trilogy I failed a case and had to do the whole thing over, so either I didn't know I could save at any time or I chose not to save. :\
The DS games would prompt you to save at the end of Investigations or Court Days, so you'd never have to do the whole thing over. And yeah, you could just hit Start and save at any point. I used that a lot, just because it was tedious having to go through all the Court session again if you messed up.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The only regret is that the 3DS has a zillion fantastic games other than Monster Hunter.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kelp Plankton posted:

Thanks.

So I just copy everything from my SD to my PC, then from the PC back onto the MicroSD (via SD adapter)? Should I do that before or after the System Transfer?
Don't overthink it, just copy the files from your old SD card to the new microSD (keeping the exact folder structure), then pop the microSD in your New 3DS after the transfer is finished.

As for screwdrivers, I just used a small-ish Phillips head. It wasn't a 0 or whatever people here are suggesting. The main problem was that I was expecting the screws to pop out, but they don't. You literally just loosen them a little, then pry the cover off. It's more hassle than the SD card slot on the older models, but it's really not a big deal at all. It takes 5 seconds.

Any model of microSD should be fine, I got a 32GB Samsung for pretty cheap off Amazon (UK).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The last case in AA1 owns, Edgeworth owns.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ragequit posted:

You don't need to level up to 99 at all though. I also played most battles on fast forward, but I assumed most people did that. I just can't imagine it taking that long to beat.
I clocked over 100 hours in it

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

DarkTitsAndAnime probably wouldn't get so much poo poo if he occasionally posted about games that weren't creepy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ghost Trick looks pretty anime

:can:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm going to follow noirstronaut on twitter haha j/k

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Wait, when did Zero Escape 3 get announced? I thought the developers had gone out of business or something.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Jesus Christ what a way of explaining things.

hamsystem posted:

Sorry is this had been asked a million times, but are digital purchases still tied to hardware or am I ok if something happens to this DS I'm about to buy?
You can register a Nintendo Network ID (if you don't already have one), and all eShop purchases will essentially be tied to that. That NNID is tied to the system, though. If you break or lose your 3DS and replace it, you can call Nintendo, provide them with the NNID and they will link the NNID with your new system. You would lose your saves of course, but you would be able to re-download any of your purchases from the eShop.

If you decide to buy a 2nd 3DS for some reason, you would have to do a System Transfer from the old system to the new system. You require Internet access to do this. This will allow you to retain all your saves.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 10, 2015

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The other games aren't Smash and Codename STEAM, are they? Those are the ones that shut down the OS, maybe there's a connection.
Does Smash shut down the OS even on a New 3DS? He was playing Xenoblade, so it must have been on a New 3DS.

(Playing Phoenix Wright turns you into a pedantic jackass :objection:)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I wish they'd put out Xenoblade on the Wii Classics for WiiU so that I could play it on the Gamepad.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Because it involves going through the same dungeons *four times* and fighting the same bosses * four times* in a row without any significant difference, as well as at least two runthroughs which are boring retreads of the same boss fights you did already if you do any optional content. Also without actually having played the game or spoiled yourself you don't know what optional content is worth doing (and at least one big of content earns a new class.)

Even if it doesn't take long (and I'll note that 'it doesn't take long"' is only because you can turn off random encounters which wasn't in the original version of the game and it still takes a chunk of time) it is one of the worst momentum killers in a game ever. It's just bad design.

You don't need to "go through" any of the dungeons, you just go in and can fight the bosses in them all, except maybe the Earth Temple I think? Which doesn't take a whole lot of time to get through.

Yeah, it's disappointing since the game was really good up to that point, but if you find it repetitive you can just go get the Bad Ending and leave it at that. There's still stuff like the Vampire abilities and the last job to get too. Not a huge amount of content, no, but it's still something.

I love how everyone completely blows it out of proportion. It's a lovely design decision, but it's still a good game.

Also I'm so tempted to get that G&W faceplate and I never even had a G&W.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

August 27th is SK2 european release date

https://twitter.com/marvelous_games/status/626708800859426816

American version shouldn't be later than that!
The Summer video game drought is finally over.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

zoux posted:

Also, how do you guys keep up with new eShop releases and upcoming annoucements?
The eShop thread, pretty much. It's updated every week with that week's releases for each region, and usually gets updated quickly with any news of upcoming releases.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518750

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Srice posted:

The demo is kinda lovely, the game plays much better when you start customizing your party from the ground up so you know what everyone can do.
The best thing about the Bravely Default demo though is that it gives you a bunch of jobs so that you can play around with combining abilities. It's seriously the best when you throw Transience/Turn Tables on a Ninja and just spam Utsesemi. :allears: It's just that the gameplay of the demo itself is nothing like the game since the demo is mostly grindy fetch quests.

Abu Dave posted:

That's nice to read because I honestly have no loving clue what i'm doing and I kinda enjoy it! Like I asked earlier, i'm not seeing ANY offensive magic spells so I have like 2 mages doing nothing but hitting with a stick.
Basically, for random encounters you'll usually want to just have everyone Brave 3 times. It'll drop you into negative BP, but you should be able to take everything out with those 12 attacks. The game is designed around ending those fights in a single turn (preferably before the enemies can attack). For bosses (I think there are 3 or 4 in the demo), you'll usually want to be a bit more strategic. You don't want to drop into negative BP against a boss, so you can either just do a single attack each turn, or spend a few turns Defaulting so that you can build up BP, then use all those stored BPs in a single turn.

If you're getting killed by the boss in the dungeon near the town, here's a hint. You can use a White/Red Mage to land Silence on her, which will stop her Aeroga from murdering you. Before taking on that dungeon though, you should do some of the grindy fetch quests for people in town just to level up your abilities a bit. And yeah, don't forget to buy spells at the magic shop.

Also, as someone already mentioned, remember that Brave is mapped to L and Default is mapped to R. :)