Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have a 3DS XL right now and I'm looking to probably get a Japanese New 3DS non-XL (or LL for those in the know). Anybody have an idea how the Japanese eShop works and if I can just buy a bunch of pre-loaded cash cards to pick up games that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
OK, I'm going to do something dumb and want to know the best route forward.

I have a 3DS XL and I want to grab a New 3DS XL and a New 3DS from Japan. The XL to XL is just "do a system transfer, idiot" after I put in a 32GB card, but the JP one will require a new NNID, right?

And if I want to use the old XL, I'll need to make a new NNID for that as well? So total # of new NNIDs = 2, right?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is my only hope for a Pokemon Green 2DS is to wait until they're launched and see if stock replenishes?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Where the hell did Natsume's Amazon store go? I want to preorder River City Tokyo Rumble.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Then what was with the press release about PREORDER AT AMAZON FOR A SIQQQ KUNIO THINGY and then a dead Amazon link?

e: yay for leaving the thread open...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Super No Vacancy posted:

The post would be better if it didn't reuse assets from so many other posts

It was actually a cost saving measure from the first post, and I have to admit that it was entertaining to see the same word assets in different roles and locations throughout the post.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Detective No. 27 posted:

PSA: River City Tokyo Rumble is available on Amazon now.

Link dude.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Spellman posted:

The lack of reviews is tragic, but it's a really good game with tons of content. Get it.

Sounded familiar, so I looked it up to confirm. Localization company formed by former EGM reviewers, 8-4, highly recommend it and had/have been pimping it for the past few months now.

8-4 localized:
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Monster Hunter 3/4U
etc etc etc

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

AnonSpore posted:

Is there some kind of article about this? I'd be really interested in reading it. Translation talk is always fun.

Listen to their biweekly podcast! They really don't go into major specifics, but they do talk shop from time to time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

So much for it coming in on Friday; just got mine in the mail.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a goon discord and they'll happily answer your dumb questions about the thing you heard on Gaijin Hunter.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Bubsy 3D

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Close.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Buy Rocket Slime and 100% it.

Or Dragon Quest 7.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Look up reviews on Dragon Quest and it looks cool but they all say it's a massive 100 hour commitment. Dunno that I want to get into something that deep. Maybe I should just pick up a few things off the virtual console.

Buy Rocket Slime, it's not a JRPG, but it's incredibly breezy and fun.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mysterious frankie posted:

If I'm getting a new 3ds and a new 32gb sd card; can I just pop the card in and be cool, or do I need to format it or boot the system up first and do some prep work?

I went 3DSXL w/ 4GB to N3DSXL w/ 32GB.

1. Dump the contents of your 3DS card onto your computer, put it back into your 3DS
2. Put the 32GB card into the N3DS before you turn it on for the first time
3. Follow the instructions on the system transfer when you boot up your N3DS
4. Do the system transfer
5. One of the steps is "copy the SD card"
6. Just read the manual, it's a pain in the rear end but it's not that bad, it's hard to describe.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Picross 3D isn't too bad, you just have to keep a handful of algorithms in your head.

If you have a column that is 4 blocks deep and the marker is a circled 3, then you can safely mark the first and last block in that column and come back to it later.

Same 4 block deep column and it's just a regular 3, you can mark the middle 2 blocks.

The hinting is very generous and there were only a handful of puzzles that I felt were unfair.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

LODGE NORTH posted:

Not "likely" as other rom hacks have been out for praictically ever and I don't think any that are uploaded as patches have been DMCA'd or C&D'd or whatever.

They demolished AM2R and the the other Pokémon one with a 48 hour turnaround.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have a XL and NXL. The New one is incredibly nice.

I feel bad about not being a day 1 3DS owner. The next portable Nintendo better be as awesome as the DS and 3DS.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, but you can't play your Wii U on the go. :colbert:

This is from forever ago from an episode of 8-4 Play and it's been years since it happened...

One of be guests was traveling with with his Wii U (don't remember the reason), but Bayonetta 2 had just come out and he remembered about the off screen capability of the system. So he plugged in the console to the power outlet on the seat and played a few hours of Bayonetta until the gamepad died; he couldn't plug in the gamepad too because his neighbor was using it and it would have been a real dick move to be like "EXCUSE ME SIR, I WOULD LIKE TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES". I remember him saying two things in particular, the first being that he was trying to angle the gamepad out of general view because a dude playing a sexy hair lady game is kind of bad optics for children passing by, and the second is that a kid noticed what he had done with the setup (not the hiding the screen part) and it blew his little kid mind.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

As a day 1 3DS owner hot drat this thing was a total shitpile for almost a year and that's at the very least how long I'm gonna wait to buy an NX.

Fool me once, Nintendo.

Edit: The content drought was so bad that when they slashed the console price they had to give the old owners free games to stave off the angry letters. :lol:

I'm on the other end of this now, I have a PS4 game but no PS4.

Tae posted:

That was Patrick Klepek when he was with Giantbomb.

That was it! Thanks 4 rememberin'.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pureauthor posted:

How many hours from now is the reveal?

~10h15m from now

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Housh posted:

Nintendo products are military grade Fisher-price

This is true.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Beastie posted:

Nintendo Switch(?) looks cool. I'm skeptical about the games being on carts though. How big of a game could be on those things without driving up the costs? Battery life is going to be downright terrible. I don't think I'll get one at launch but it does look interesting.

I kind of skipped through the trailer (at work) but is the dock just a dock? How would the classic Nintendo experience of inviting 3 friends over to play vidja games work? Are they supposed to have a Switch and we all sit on the floor or something?

I'm seriously wondering how much power that thing will have, hoping that the dock has some sort of hardcore power or something so it's not just a means to use a bigger controller and output to a tv.

A 2 layer blu ray is good for 50GB or so.

I bought a cheap UHS-1 64GB Micro SD card for like $20. NAND is getting cheap; it's a non issue.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
For anyone wondering about "oh no carts".

The drive in the PS4 is good for 27MB/s. UHS-I, Class 3 is good for 30MB/s. UHS-II stuff is 200+.

Phone fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 20, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

homeless snail posted:

The carts are probably ROMs rather than flash memory, anyway

This post hurts my brain.

I get what you're getting at, but the ROM is going to be flash/NAND storage.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

homeless snail posted:

What, you think 3DS cartridges are NAND?

Yeah. They're flash memory.

Start whining about how EEPROMs are the future and how the original DS used J-K flip flops.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MiddleOne posted:

It's literally a tablet though. If it has Netflix it will be competing for that market.

The Wii had Netflix.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Streetpass owns. It's just that you have to live in NYC or Japan.

I'm so hyped for my Japan trips now that the queue has been bumped up to 100.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Touch screens... are bad!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I take that last post back. Picross 3D owns too hard.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

homeless snail posted:

Big 3DS Stand fan here

I don't remember that from Stardust Crusaders.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Isn't Snowboard Kids 2 like $500 now?

e: closer to $200

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 23, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't know what you're talking about. After the DS came out, I never played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance or Pokémon Emerald or Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Guy Goodbody posted:

All of those were released before the DS.

I became a Pokémon Master in Physics 2 in 2005-2006 on a Famicom Micro GBA.

Nontrolling aside: we had more DS handhelds vs people and 8 player Mario Kart DS was a daily thing for me as a senior in high school. And 9 player Tetris.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The 3DS XL gets 3 hours of battery life. My N3DSXL is probably good for 5 or 6.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ALFbrot posted:

Do you constantly play games with brightness at 5, battery saver off, 3D on, wireless on, and volume all the way up? How is this possible

Brightness 3
Auto-Brightness Off
Power-Saving Mode Off
Wireless Communications On

Volumes always low or through headphones, and 3D is never on.

Please tell me how I'm a crazy edge case. :allears:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, you're full of poo poo. I never got more than 4 out of the original XL.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bum the Sad posted:

Ok I asked about old games but for real. Just bought an amazon green 3DSXL. I bought Link between worlds, shovel knight, and have Pokémon preordered. What I need to buy to make this dead gay system worth it.

Picross 3D 2
Majora's Mask
Monster Hunter Generations
Dragon Quest 7
Gotta Protectors
A-Train 3D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you want a platformer, I'd recommend the Shantae 3DS game (Pirates Curse, iirc) over any NSMB game.