Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nice work! But didn't Nintendo say that Xenoblade Chronicles will only work on the New 3DS? Your OP implies that it will work on the normal 3DS, just with enhanced features for the New, which I thought was not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Good news, everyone! :farnsworth:

Remembered I had an old pair of glasses with anti-glare coating, so I tried those instead for my 3DS. It worked, an hour of the MH4 demo and EO4 and no headaches. I'm free to play excellent games :woop:

Now the question is, do I want a New 3DS so I have proper camera controls for MH4. Probably not gonna get much for the XL at gamestop am I.

This is the best feel good story I've read all week. :allears: Have fun playing fun games!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Don't think I can recommend any 3ds games that haven't already been mentioned. Pokemon X/Y/ORAS, 3D Land, Bravely Default, SMTIV, Etrian Odyssey games, Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton games. Kid Icarus Uprising was fun, but the controlling it was awful and made my hands hurt.

I've really enjoyed discovering DS games, though. I never had a DS and I've been going through it's games and have found some really good ones.

Dragon Quest IV
Final Fantasy III (though you should just play Bravely Default instead)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Chrono Trigger (never played the original, the port is very good)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
SMT: Devil Survivor
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
The World Ends with You

As mentioned, the DS Final Fantasy III is pretty garbage. Toss that off the list and add Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift instead.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

io_burn posted:

I don't know how I feel about Project S.T.E.A.M., on one hand I love Fire Emblem and it looks like a steampunky version of XCOM I guess but god drat that trailer is so stupid.

I'm sorry you have terrible taste. The word you're looking for is magical. :patriot:

Can't wait to punch fools in a giant steampunk Abraham Lincoln mech.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Oh yeah, there we go. Not getting the regular sized model is starting to hurt now. Oh well, at least I got my Monster Hunter bundle!

That's a really cool faceplate, and I love me some Xenoblade, but in all honesty... I couldn't go back to a smaller 3DS after using an XL for so long.

I just couldn't. The XL is just so drat nice... Here's hoping they make a Xenoblade special edition XL!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Cat Machine posted:

Most of the hate for Bravely Default (justifiably) comes from the time loop gimmick the game drops on you around 2/3 into the game. I loved it right up till then.

That part isn't even that bad, because you can just turn off the random encounters and do as much, or as few, of the sidequests as you want. Once you get to that point, you can finish the game in an hour or two with the encounters turned off. It is really not as bad as people keep harping about around here. Makes me think they didn't turn off the random encounters! Speaking of that,

Atlas Hugged posted:

The real issue with Bravely Default is that if you don't love the battle system, and I mean really love it, there is nothing else in the game to do. There are no towns to explore. There is all of like one secret to unlock. Areas are reused again and again. As you revisit these place, the only thing that changes is dialog, and I still argue that the dialog is largely bad, frequently creepy, and the story isn't worth reading anyway.

It's just so incredibly stale the entire game. The developer tacitly admits that the battle system, the core and soul of the game, isn't all that interesting because they give you the option to play the entire game in fastforward, which you will.

There are just so many bad design choices at every stage of the game. Levels don't actually matter. Job levels do, but only if you pair them correctly. You can run a level 99 party with max job levels and equipment and still get super easily wiped by bosses. Every dungeon ends with the same save point and vendor because the bosses can be tough and finding the right party to conquer a boss is basically the only meat in the entire game. So why even bother with levels or random encounters and why not just make it about jobs and bosses? It doesn't make any sense to me. It's like some dude said, "Well, it's like a Final Fantasy and those have random encounters, better include them and make them just important enough that you can't turn them off the entire game, just for most of the time."

But I've been saying this since around release and people are still praising it.

What are you on about? You can totally turn the random encounters off at any point and keep them off forever! The only time you have to fight random encounters is if you want to. Once you find the really good grinding spot, you can max out your jobs in a couple hours while you watch a movie or something.

Now, granted I maxed out all the jobs on everyone because I really liked the battle system, but you don't even have to go that far. Just get the skills you want each character to use, and done. Then you can get to the real fun stuff, which is completely destroying bosses before they can even move. :getin:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dave Angel posted:

All Phoenix Wright games, if you haven't already played them in some subsequent release form.

I must second this suggestion! I got the Trilogy on the eShop and I am loving it!

Even though I just started the third game... and it makes my brain hurt, so I can't play it for very long at a time. Still, so good!

Is it hard to track down the rest of them? I haven't even looked at prices or anything.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Pretty much this. There's a lot of little things that make JFA just a little bit not as good as the other games, the third case being a stinker being the biggest one, though I felt the tutorial was really bad too and started the game off on the wrong foot, but it's still a really good game. Just don't bother playing the third case and have a walkthrough do all the work for you.

Anyway, I just realized that the trilogy was released on the eShop a while ago. $22 is kinda steep for three games I already own and knowing Capcom's reputation I'm wary of whether of not they're good ports of the DS games or lovely ports of the iOS games. Anyone play them? Did Capcom actually work on making them good ports or just phone it in?

The eShop trilogy is the only way I've ever played Phoenix Wright, but everything seems fine to me! Music is good, sprites look good, touchscreen controls are responsive. You can even yell "Objection!" into the mic if you want.

Also, I was warned ahead of time about That Case in game 2, and it was not nearly as bad as everyone kept making it out to be. :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Housh posted:

That's insane. A normal size DS is really that small?

The DSLite was about the size of an OG 3DS. Yeah, it is that small.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Kevin Bacon posted:

Is it worth picking up a N3DS just for the games available on the system? I don't have any long commutes and I don't travel a lot, so the fact that it's portable isn't really a selling-point to me. Probably seems ridiculous (or maybe not? I've always had the impression that people get a 3DS because they need something on the go, and the alternative is... well... the Vita), but I've always kind of wanted one, and with the recent release of Monster Hunter 4 it seems a lot more attractive.

Sure it is! There's plenty of fully-fledged games on the thing that will make you forget you're playing a handheld. It's not like the Gameboy days, where all the games were automatically a lot shorter to "fit" them on the handheld. The 3DS doesn't need to "fit" anything. It just has great games!

Plus, it's super comfortable to play it while lounging on the couch, or reclining in bed, or wherever! You don't have to only play it when you're out of the house, though it's great for that too. I play it on the bus, for example.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Louisgod posted:

For every person that says it's good (ie you), 4 more come out and say it's bad.

It's bad.

No I'm going to jump in and say it's good.

It has it's flaws (oh heavens, yes), but overall it's good.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Bravely Default is a third of a good game stretched over the remaining two-thirds.

You have it backwards.

It's two-thirds of a good game repeated over the remaining third.

And thankfully the game lets you turn off random encounters, which saves a ton of time on that last third.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

No doubt about it. I got a 3ds for my niece and she played it once and said it looked ugly and went back to her ipad mini.

Counterpoint: my husband's little brother (age 10) loves the poo poo out of his 3DS and Wii U, talks incessantly about Mario and Pokemon, and has a little Mario Bros. club with his friends where they record videos about Mario on their 3DSes. :3: Kid doesn't even have a cell phone.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Housh posted:

I just bought my first batch of turnips in New Leaf. I freaked out cause after I adjusted my 3DS clock for daylight savings I remembered Joan telling me any funny business with the clocks would spoil my turnips. Luckily, nothing happened.

Are there any good New Leaf guides worth checking out as I play by my lonesome or is it frowned on to check guides like Dark Souls.

It's setting the clock backwards that fucks up turnips. If you're still playing when DST ends, I'd recommend resetting your clock before buying them.

Also why... would it be frowned up on check guides? :psyduck: Animal Crossing ain't no Dark Souls, son.

If you want some guides, mosey on over to ye olde Animal Crossing thread. There are guides linked in the first post.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Junkie Disease posted:

How is Majoras Mask vs say the original. The visual upgrade on starfox 3ds has me a wonderin.

Visually it looks pretty fantastic. Comparable to OoT 3D, if you played that. There are some relatively minor mechanical changes that I've been fine with so far but have turned some people off. Also the bosses have all been re-tweaked. Mostly for the better in my experience thus far. (Haven't fought the fourth boss yet.)

Fuzz posted:

Is the StarFox 64 upgrade any good? Looks a lot better than N64 graphics at a glance, at least.

It's good, in that it's Starfox 64 on a handheld with a couple new game modes for medal-collecting goodness. It looks a bit better, graphically, and the voice acting got re-jiggered. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference if the voice clips weren't burned permanently into my brain from my childhood.

Anyway, if you liked Starfox 64, you'll like the remake.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

This kind of got glazed over with the anime titty chat, but what's this about a Shantae: Risky's revenge 3DS re-release? It's already on the 3DS.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Crosspeice posted:

Or maybe you're a weirdo that doesn't like drawing maps?

It's me. I'm a weirdo who doesn't like drawing maps. In fact, I hate drawing maps. I tired the Etrian Odyessy demo (briefly) some time ago, unaware that I would be expected to draw my own map. As soon as I realized that's what I'd have to do, I shut the demo off and I haven't picked it back up since. I hate maps.

Perhaps it's because I get lost so easily? I want to have my map there for me, so I won't get lost. My spatial perception or whatever it is that let's you form mental maps is completely hosed, so drawing maps of any kind is just a chore. I've tried it; the results have not been pretty.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Is anyone else hype as hell for Codename STEAM

I am totally hype! gently caress game reviews. The demo was fun; that's good enough for me, plus I just love the aesthetic and the setting and pretty much everything else about the game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Man I'm so pumped right now. I just finished the eShop Phoenix Wright Trilogy a couple days ago. (No, I had never played them before; yes I feel like an idiot now.) I had ordered the next two games in the series (Apollo Justice and Investigations) from Amazon on Sunday. Came home this afternoon to find my Amazon box waiting for me! :dance:

THEN I hopped on here and found out Dual Destinies is on sale too!? Man, somebody pinch me! This weekend is going to be AWESOME.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

$15 for Dual Destinies seems a great deal so I snagged it. I'm enjoying game 1 enough that I can see myself making it through the rest.

Am I reading this correctly: if you want to even buy the DLC, you have to finish the game?

If this is true, I really dig it.

I bought the original Trilogy a couple months ago to play on the bus. I was hooked from the first case. The rest of the games do not disappoint. Trust me, you are in for a treat! Savor it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I thoroughly enjoyed all three games from start to finish. Yes, even That Case. :colbert: I thought L33tspeak dude was funny.

Then again, I also think puns are the height of humor.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

My Monado decal from Decalgirl just arrived a little bit ago! Specifically, this one, which was posted in this thread awhile back. The screen protector got in a couple days ago and I picked up a red system just yesterday. And just now, I finished transforming it into Something Awesome.

Shot with the box, just because.

Bottom

Back (Any blurriness is due to my lovely camera skills, not the skin)

Inside. I may have to change my theme now. I was using the Animal Crossing XL (aka the Poptart).

EDIT: Forgot to include one with my friend!

I think you know how he feels about it.

All in all, the skin looks gorgeous! It's so shiny and crisp. And it wasn't that much of a pain in the rear end to put on. Absolutely flawless. Decalgirl: it does what Nintendon't.

I was already using a MicroSD card, so System Transfer was totally painless. And I didn't even have to practice screwing!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have Ace Attorney games to continue binging on.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 14, 2015

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Should have gotten Matte!:smugbert:

I prefer shiny. But yes, you can get their stuff in matte, if you wish.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

kater posted:

Is this poo poo legit? I don't think I can resist spending $20 to turn my 3DS into orange icecream nonsense. The pics make it look like everything fits together pretty drat well. Is there some layer of bullshit or is this really just peeling off stickers and putting them on?

There's no bullshit! Just so long as you have a steady hand for putting on stickers. Make sure your hands and the system are clean. I recommend running the shower for awhile to lay the dust as well, just as you would to apply a screen protector.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

nuru posted:

The problem with Ace attorney is that you have to understand Ace Attorney logic to get anywhere sometimes. You may know the murderer's finger is inside the vase in evidence, but you need to figure out which inconsequential question/press combo will lead the judge to talk about how in his day they wore onions on their belts so that Edgeworth bumps into the vase and shatters it.

It's possible I just hate adventure games.

This is true. The games have their own sense of twisted logic. It's weird for me. Sometimes I get in this Zen state where I can figure everything out in an instant and I can see the crazy twist coming from a mile away. On the other hand, often the game will just blindside me out of left field and leave me thinking "Wait, WHAT?!" I love those moments.

I find that I can't play them for very long at a time, though. Eventually, it stops making sense, and I get stuck. When this happens, I don't look up an FAQ. I put the game down for awhile and come back to it later. Then the thing I was stuck on is the most obvious loving thing. I don't know why this happens. To those having trouble with the Ace Attorney games and feeling like you have to be glued to an FAQ: don't. Worse comes to worse, you can just save and brute force it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

precision posted:

It's like a theme that no matter what, every AA game has better sidekicks than main characters. This even extends to Edgeworth being awesome until he's the main character and then he becomes The Boring One. Apollo's sidekick is Trucy, right? Please tell me there's no creepy stuff with her in the Apollo game :ohdear:

I've been playing Apollo justice and I like it so far. Apollo is a doof, but Trucy is adorable. There's been no creepy stuff between them so far... weird panty obsession in case 2 aside. They act more like brother and sister.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Just finished Apollo Justice. :toot: Last case was the best one, of course, but I also liked all the music references in the third case. I know people don't like that game, but I liked it just fine, so deal with it.

Next up I'll probably do the Investigations games.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Loving my red New 3DS that I stuck a Monado decal on. (Decalgirl is amazing, guys.)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

hadji murad posted:

I just got my 3DS and am sorted with RPGs having Fire Emblem, Persona Q and SMTIV.

What are some good action games on the system, preferably downloadable.

Do you have Link Between Worlds yet? Because you should have Link Between Worlds.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Himuro posted:

it seems my only options are:

1. Buy JP New Standard 3ds, keep crap NA 3ds XL. But whoops! I want to play Xenoblade in English. So tough luck due to the New 3ds requirement. I am not buying a second NA XL. Though I could just play Xenoblade in Japanese I guess.

2. Buy JP New Standard 3ds, buy a replacement NA 3ds that is the original standard version.

Either way, both are loving stupid so I kind of lean on "don't give Nintendo more hardware cash until they take off region locking."

I don't think you read why I want a JP 3ds. I want to be able to play NA games because due to Nintendo's loving stupid region locking there is never a guarantee that you'll be able to play multiplayer with different people if they have different region systems. My friend lives in Japan and he has a Canadian/NA 3ds. His son has a Japanese 3ds. Guess what?! They often can't play together. So if a multiplayer game comes out and I'm stuck with a EU 3ds, this does not fix my problem. Also, again, English is not the point. I know Japanese.

Also why would anyone buy 3ds games digitally?

Jesus Christ, Nintendo.

Hey, I have freakishly tiny hands and I've never had any problem with the XL. Are you sure you're holding it right? I mean... there's a lot of different ways you could hold it to find something that works for you.

Also, I have a third solution for you: get a New 3DS XL and spruce it up with a cute decal. Then you get something that actually adheres to your system and not a cheap piece of plastic.

Lastly, I know you were asking rhetorically, but there are a lot of reasons people get 3DS games digitally. If I know it's a game I'll be coming back to over and over in the long term (like, say, Animal Crossing, which is a game yo play for a half an hour every day and then done), it's a lot more convenient to have it digital rather than switch out the cartridge every time I want to play. Or, say you're the kind of person who just likes to bounce around between different games, and won't play only one game for months at a time. It's a lot better to have those games digitally so you can swap between them at will. Or, let's just say you just loving hate switching cartridges? Related to this, you take your 3DS with you when you go out, or on trips, and having games digitally means less poo poo to pack. Having a largely digital library saves me a lot of space in my bag!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Does the DSTwo not work with the New 3DS? I wanted to try the fan translation of Ace Attorney Investigations 2 as god intended, but my N3DS(XL) wouldn't recognize it. I made sure to download and install the latest firmware before even putting it in the thing.

Oh, I tried plugging it into my old XL and it worked just fine, so the DSTwo isn't busted.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

And go figure. After reading your post I stuck the thing back into the N3DS, flashed to the Home screen... And NOW it's picking the thing up. Welp, whatever! I'll take it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DisposableHero posted:

So my wife very recently updated to a New 3DS as her old one started having issues with the top screen and it was out of warrantee.

She's not to into the available colors but I was thinking the Decalgirl skins would be a pretty good option on top of a black 3DS. Can anyone comment on the decal girl skins in terms of quality and resilience?

Quality: great! Once it's on it looks like it was made for the system. Resilience: hasn't fallen off yet!

Also it's nice and smooth and shiny and nice to look at. I love it!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Kin posted:

So i'm working my way through MM and it turns out i've forgotten all of it.

I've just finished the first dungeon and vaguely recall that there are some items you can get only after you finished a dungeon and before going back to day 1 (which will reset the dungeon). It's the swamp/forest temple i just did, can anyone remember what the items might be?

I also forgot how long the dungeons were and really don't want to trek all the way back through that one again even if the main item i got should help me skip some of it.

Just go to the dungeon and step on the grey, glowing platform in the first room.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

StabMasterArson posted:

I just traded my old 3DS for a new one making sure to unlink my Nintendo account and format the data etc. and now I'm trying to log in on my new 3DS and it's saying my account is already linked and that I can't use it anymore? Have I just forfeited all of my purchases because I didn't system transfer? The old 3DS is already gone. Fucks sake nintendo :psyduck:

Yes, that is precisely what you're not supposed to do.

Call Nintendo. They should be able to get you your games back, but your saves are long gone.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

My DSTwo gave me a bit of a scare today. I was messing around with it and the game I was playing froze. I flashed to the Home screen, and my system had stopped recognizing the card. No amount of popping it in and out would make the system recognize it. So, just as a test, I put Majora's Mask 3D in there instead. ... It didn't recognize that either. :derp:

A quick reboot of the system got it to read Majora's Mask at least, but now I'm afraid to use the DSTwo with it anymore. :ohdear: The thing is less than a month old and I don't want to wreck the cart slot right before Xenoblade Chronicles comes out!

Guess I'll stick to using the DSTwo in my old XL.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

Such is the fate of pirates. :unsmigghh:

You tell me where I can get a legit copy of Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (In ENGLISH), and I'll stop using my DSTwo to play it. :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Layton 7 is a mobile card game, Fantasy Life 2 is a mobile farmville, Yokai Sangokushi doesn't have an announced platform/date or anything but some promo art. Yokai Watch western game/anime/toys reconfirmed for international release in spring 2016 but nothing beyond that.

Fantasy Life is cell phones only?! EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE! Fantasy Life was one of my favorite games last year, but I have zero interest in playing poo poo on my cell phone when I have a perfectly good handheld with actual buttons right here!

Did Fantasy Life not sell well or something? :( gently caress, I'm sad now.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Huxley posted:

Non-combat Xenoblade question!

I'm just supposed to be selling all this poo poo? I have big bags and little bags and sometimes quests auto-complete because I happened to have that item, but mostly it's just filling up pages of stuff and I can't buy heavy armor without selling it.

But I don't want to find out 3-4 hours from now that white beetles or something were some huge crafting ingredient.

In general, keep the big bags and sell the little bags. Big bags are rarer loot, while the little bags are common. The only crafting you do is for Gems, which use Ether cylinders and "crystal" items. You mostly get crystals out of ether deposits but I think enemies can drop them too.

Old armor and weapons you can go nuts selling. If you don't want to equip it, sell it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How far are you because the 3D model is far more expressive in all honesty. Also difficulty wise won't kick in till the end of the game, then you unlock a harder mode (somewhat) then you unlock the standard TRUE ARENA and that'll test you more then anything

Also how do you play as Melia, tried her out and boy I don't understand a drat thing about what I'm doing with her, and according to the thread I shouldn't let the AI touch her either.

Melia- load her up with thunder plus gems. Fire off one of her buffing summons (I usually do the water one for health regen), then Summon Thunder, Summon Copy, and spam her middle Talent Art. Watch everything die.