Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Lycus posted:

That's missing the point. A good twist is also natural in-universe.

Very much agreed. It's the difference between the "it was a dream" twist in Mulholland Dr and the one in Lynch's daughter's movie Boxing Helena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

precision posted:

What the... how did they do that?!

They edit out the part where they distract the children for 10 seconds and make the swap.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Any decent (and my bar is pretty low) Saw-alikes on Netflix or Prime? If they're trashy that's fine, as long as they're watchable.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Inhuman Resources on Prime is great. It's an office-themed Saw.

Trashy and fun. Thanks!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Watched Spring Breakers based off of recommendations here. Went in blind and yeah, it's not what I thought it would be based on the first 5 minutes. About at the halfway mark I was thinking how it reminded me of Kids. Didn't realize it was the same director. But now that I've finished it, I think it would make for a good double-feature with Audition. My read on both is that they are examinations of femininity in general and more specifically, women's search for meaning and what it means to be a woman, a search to define their own role instead of the traditional role men have decreed for them.

Then again, what do I know.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The Innocents, The Sinner, Insatiable: any of these any good?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Full Metal Jacket is perfect and anyone who talks trash about the third act can go suck a golfball through a water hose.

The intensity of the training camp portion leads most people to think it's far superior after a first viewing. Every time I watch the movie I like the third act more. It's a fantastic movie from beginning to end.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Fart City posted:

Real talk, it sucks that Michael Jai White got a major tentpole special effects summer action movie that just turbo bombed, and it sucked so much rear end that he never became a household name.

Can anybody think of a similar situation? Where a dude is given that kind of opportunity and it just like, falls apart under him (but not because of him)? Taylor Kitsch maybe.

I feel like there are lots of examples of this. One might be Mickey Rourke who was roughly at a Bruce Willis circa Blind Date level of acclaim and Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man was his potential Die Hard breakout moment, until it sank his career for a decade+ and he never did become an A-list leading man

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

I don’t know how it could surprise you, I watched one episode and the characters are all obvious pieces of poo poo

It was obvious to you because you are the smartest man ever made. Take pity on us dumbkoppfs.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

10 Beers posted:

I'm watching The Wire for the first time ever on Prime. If you haven't seen it, watch it!

You lucky bastard. If season 2 seems a slog just power through it. It's a much better season on rewatches but most first-timers struggle with it. Season 3 is worth the effort to get through 2 and season 4 is quite simply the best season of tv ever made.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Tagichatn posted:

Insatiable on Netflix is actually pretty good. It looked bad and had terrible reviews but some people here seemed to like it so I gave it a shot. The first few episodes kind of suck but it gets much better. Although now in the back half it's pivoting towards drama and less comedy but does it pretty well. Lots of good heartfelt moments and 2d characters get fleshed out.

I'd recommend it.

It goes places, that's for sure.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Dammit I have to unlike Chinatown or I am a pedo :(

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

A. Wyatt Mann was a Church of Satan guy? That's perfect, libertarians and white nationalists have literally always been joined at the hip in this country.

Dang son I ain't seen that much edge since i watched the 2008 film It Might Get Loud

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

mike12345 posted:

So is Haunting of Hill House just jump scares? I'm three episodes in, and so far it's pretty meh.

There's like one or two jump scares in the entire thing that I can think of.

It's not really a scary show per se. It's an atmospheric and moody show but it's basically (don't know where I first heard this, maybe here) a family drama where one of the family members is a haunted house. It is to horror what later seasons of Louie were to sitcoms -- the ostensible framework for something that was actually quite different in nature.

If you want a legit scary movie with no jump scares, my go-to recommendation is The Tenant although I don't know if it's streaming anywhere. But Haunting if Hill House is like 6 Feet Under if there just happened to be a ghost that mostly kept to itself living in the funeral home. That's a more similar feel, tonally, than any horror movie has to it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Apparently, Get Shorty received the Fargo treatment and was made into a TV show. S1 is on Netflix and it's good although I think it is shot too "Network tv" style and would be better served with a more deliberate, artsy mood. Not that it's poorly shot, just ... uninspired?

Anyway, I love the movie but this is a good and very different take on the general plot.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

precision posted:

Jenny Lewis, Cat Power and Feist in a remake of Charlies Angels with Tom Waits as the voice of their boss

Read that as Jerry Lewis and I was completely on-board

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's very strange because he did a lot of research to make his accent authentic, even going so far as to stay with an Indian family for a length of time.

Which begs the question, WHY NOT JUST HIRE AN INDIAN GUY IN THE FIRST PLACE but Hollywood.

https://www.begthequestion.info

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Martman posted:

This begs the question, when does common usage change the meaning of a phrase?

Addressed on the FAQ page

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

Watching people suddenly defend studio interference as good, gross

Counterpoint: 90% of the time the director's cut of a movie is objectively worse than the studio cut.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I liked Cam and you're right that it takes on similar themes to Annihilation. It's fine if your reading of the film doesn't like up with the common explanation of AI/CGI but FWIW I listened to a podcast with the director who literally said that's what it is. Again, I like the movie ,but that sort of lines up with my reading of it, which is that Cam has a fairly pat, easy answer. Annihilation, meanwhile, I think is a masterpiece, and it has certainly kept me thinking much longer than Cam. Part of that is because Annihilation has more characters who have more reactions to the main question in the movie, and part of it is that the transcendent moment in Annihilation, the mime dance, worked a lot better for me than the transcendent moment in Cam, the mirror/infinite picture in picture moment. They both worked well, but the former left me spellbound, whereas the latter got me to sit up in my seat but didn't go anywhere else with it beyond the initial (amazing) conceit.

If you're interested in this theme you might try the early 80s Crichton-penned Looker. I wonder how well it has aged.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

david_a posted:

It’s easily #2 for that type of show (I don’t know how you beat The Wire). I didn’t know much of anything about it before I watched except it starred a bald dude or something but it’s absolutely top tier. Those last couple of episodes really go places and it all comes back to the pilot episode.

They get compared a lot but to me they're so different that it's hard to compare them in a way that's fair to either of them. The Wire is social commentary writ large and executed with unsurpassed vision and care. The Shield is like the best "gritty" cop graphic novel ever written that was perfectly made into a TV show. It's hard to imagine two police-oriented shows that are more different.

That said, The Wire kicks the ever-loving poo poo out of The Shield.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Netflix ones does a better job of showing the disorganization and over promises of the festival, the Hulu doc does a better job showing what a scam artist Billy is. Say what you will about them paying him for an interview but it shows exactly the kind of person he is and his responses (and lack thereof) to questions only made him look worse. They're best watched back to back, if you ask me.

Agreed that one should watch both of them, they have different angles. The wristband payment thing mentioned in the Netflix one kind of blew my mind. Like, that cemented just how drat greedy they were.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Frog Act posted:

I just watched "occupation" on netflix and it sucked rear end, more or less. has there been a single good film or movie about an alien occupation since the original "V" miniseries?

They Live

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

marktheando posted:

Good to hear that about The Crown. From the promotional stuff it looked like the feel good story of how great the queen is for overcoming all her difficulties.

That's kind of what I expected going in and I was disappointed until I realized what the show actually is, which is essentially the slow suicide of a person in order to become the symbol her country needs. Reminded me of Dune in a way tbh.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Frog Act posted:

For years I dismissed True Detective and even tried three times to watch the pilot but got bored because I wasn’t quite paying attention

Been taking dabs and watching the first season this week after realizing I had already watched the first season of The Fall and wow, it’s super good. A little cheesy dialogue wise sometimes but the cinematography is legitimately gorgeous and the characters are both morally ambiguous and distinctive without going over the top with it too much.

I gather the second season basically sucks though?

There are several great scenes and one excellent episode (the one shot like a film noir, where they go to that house) but overall. season 2 can be skipped without worry

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm looking for a horror movie on netflix
- with a supernatural monster
- that isn't a zombie or a ghost or some other bullshit that could be accomplished by putting an extra in make-up
- recent-ish
- not complete trash
- leaning more towards serious than horror-comedy

Something like The Ritual, Borderlands / Final Prayer, Spring, or even the rubber-suit antics of something like The Monster would qualify, but I've seen all of those.

Jacob's Ladder ticks every box except recent-ish and Netflix (it's on Prime). It's a fantastic movie but you've probably seen it.

E: I guess it fails your second qualification too. And the first one is debatable. I promise it is a horror movie though!

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

Yeah, but the observational nature of it, and sugar pilled with a dose of conspiracy about the government sells it. It kinda poisons any chance of discourse surrounding it for them. But wow, this guy... He even cites game of thrones lol

Just tell them if they care that much, replicate Eratosthenes's experiment and either accept the result or come up with a hypothesis that can accurately explain it.

Hell, it's easier to do today than it was in ancient Greece. Buy a length of PVC tubing, check the sun's shadow at noon, the next day drive an hour due North and check the shadow, and the day after that drive due South. Three days to find out once and for all of the Earth is flat.