Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I watched In Your Eyes recently and really enjoyed it. It's a sci-fi romance comedy type movie about two people who can see through each other's eyes, plus all the other senses. Not bad, plus it was written by a young Joss Whedon, although you wouldn't pick it if you didn't know beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Q: What should I watch on misc streaming service?

A: It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Already seen it?

A: rewatch it

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Ok I watched Chef and was really impressed by it. Not what I was expecting and tonally similar to Real Steel in terms of distant fathers connecting with their children via their passions. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also checked The Young Doctor's Handbook starting Daniel Radcliffe and Jon Hamm which is delightfully demented. Harry Potter plays a recent graduate of the Moscow School of Medicine and is sent to a terrible backwater to cut his teeth in becoming a doctor.

And finally finished the day with Automata starting Antonio Banderas. Delves into Asimov's laws of robotics and humans interactions with artificial intelligence in a post apoc setting. After dithering over whether I should watch it or not I was happy to find it was worth the effort. Not a brainless sci fi like I Robot, sort of similar to Bladerunner. If you've found yourself indecisive about watching it I think it's worth your time.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

Alternate Opinion: I haven't seen Automata but those other two were really boring!

A fair point but today was a cooking day and having them all playing in the background while working in the kitchen I was able to keep up with what was happening on screen and enjoyed what I saw. The Young Doctor's Handbook I thought was pretty good if you enjoy things like The League of Gentlemen tv series.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Sir Nose posted:

Actually, watch Spartacus first. Historically it occurs earlier, you'll see Julius Caesar as a young fellow. Then you can watch Rome and see the end of his career. Then follow that up with I Claudius and Quo Vadis, and you've done Roman history from the fall of the Republic through the first five emperors.

Is I, Claudius streaming anywhere? Would love to finally watch it! The books are fantastic reading.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I don't think it is. I borrowed the DVDs from my local library.

That's not a bad compromise at least!

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Paper Kaiju posted:

It's up on Hulu (Plus, probably); I just watched it for the first time a couple of months ago, and it completely lives up its status.

Hmm not sure if I used my free month on that yet or not! Time to find out

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

precision posted:

Holy poo poo, I knew this was in the works but had no idea the pilot was already out. Thanks! :tinfoil: :hf: :tinfoil:

If it's anything like their other pilots, don't expect it to go any further...

I really want this one to go ahead though

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

oscarthewilde posted:

Well, have I got news for you!

That is indeed good news!

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I started watching The Good Guys on Saturday and was surprised by it being amusing and pretty good. The premise is like a buddy movie with the usual straight guy with an alcoholic partner he's been assigned to look after but it somehow manages to pull it off. Part comedy part action, so far my only complaint is it's only one season, but I'm only up to episode 3. Also it has Bradley Whitford, the bad guy from Billy Madison, as the alcoholic partner, who is excellent in the role.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

My buddy and I watched this show over and over and went as 70's cops for halloween because of this show. FOGHAT!

Nice one! I really wasn't expecting the show to be any good at all. Should watch.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I'm just watching The Den. Ice previously disregarded it because it looks like a crappy Saw derivative but it is actually kinda creepy and quite well done. It's about a lady who is doing a study on webcam sociology but takes a seriously bad turn and ends up being stalked by a serial killer/psycho who targets all her online associations. The entire thing is presented via her webcam and desktop and unfortunately my laptop was sitting right behind me and started making weird beeps during it so maybe I freaked out more than was appropriate but drat they nailed it! A good creepy psychological slasher.

Then lasy night I got must if the way through The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears after a few red wines and really want to watch it sober. Fantastic imagery of an art deco Paris. Trippy visuals, weird storyline. Really enjoyed it!

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

knows a black guy posted:

How does The Rocketeer never get any love, ever? That movie ruled when I was a kid, and it rules now that I have my own kids.

I don't get it either. That movie rocks and just this weekend I uncovered my copy of the comics that were released around the same time. They really put a lot of effort into those as well.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The original Rocketeer series by Dave Stevens from back in the 80s was amazing.

That's the one!

Here's the cover:

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Chichevache posted:

:lol:

It isn't on netflix, but have they seen Guardians of the Galaxy yet?

It's on the Australian Netflix if you can access that.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I don't know if this one has been mentioned before but I just watched Time Lapse and it was surprisingly OK. Wasnt expecting anything going in. The summary is three friends stumble across a device which takes photos 24 hours in the future. They use it for personal gain but then things start to unravel. Check it out if you like messing with time thriller type movies.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Also just finished Byzantium and was very impressed. I've seen it pop up a few times but just glossed over it. The description doesn't do it justice. It's a Neil Jordan vampire film following a two women. Neil Jordan also directed Interview With The Vampire, Butcher Boy and The Crying Game. The film is stunning visually and is brilliantly characterised. Of the three films I watched tonight this was my favorite. Kill Me Three Times was so so. Simon Pegg was good though.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Lycus posted:

Time Lapse made me feel like writers are a little hard up for new ideas for time-fuckery movies, but it was so-so.

What I liked about it was the single set piece - they never showed outside the complex. Like was mentioned, it felt like it was meant for the stage, but for me this wasn't a bad thing.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Haven't watched Amazon Prime in a while and they've finally added continuous episode viewing! Workaholics binge time

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's on Netflix UK.

Where? I just checked but couldn't find it!

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I just watched it this week I'll double check when I get home. It's either Netflix UK or Netflix Canada since the other connections are always too slow for HD video.

Cool I'll check the Canada version as well. Want to watch this movie!

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I watched My Bloody Valentine last night and plan on watching Silent Night Deadly Night tonight. To continue the themed slashers, I think Jack Frost next, but what then??

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

axleblaze posted:

I'm not sure if Rare Exports is still on streaming, but if it is, that.

Looks good! It's made the list

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

How in the world does Master of None fit that description

It's the Netflix approach to recommendations. Just plonk it in anywhere and eventually you'll cave in and watch it regardless of whether it's related to the movies you've watched or not!

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Gotta say I'm three eps into Love and really enjoying it! Was only going to watch one...

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Oh my god hahaha I love it when people learn this

to contribute, the new Mitchell Hurwitz / Will Arnett vehicle Flaked is pretty watchable. There's only 8 episodes so it's not a huge commitment

I just came to post about Flaked. Watched it all today and was impressed!

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Just started watching Mr Robot and I'm hooked. This show is amazingly good. (S1 on Amazon Prime and hoping they chuck S2 up as well). Rami Malek does a crazy good job in the lead - the corridor scene in Steel Mountain was just devastating.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

I think it loses steam in the last third of season 1, but was still enjoyable. Great cinematography. Hearing that s2 might not be as good, but I haven't watched any yet.

That's disappointing to hear! The cinematography is great so at least that should stay the same.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Okay I need stuff that's on Amazon Prime to watch while engaged in the tedious activity of aerobic exercise. Amazon Prime specifically because it's the only one that lets you download and watch, because I can't get wifi where I work out (first world problems).

Movies of any genre, series, whatever you recommend.

I've watched Man in the High Castle. I started watching Alpha House but kind of lost interest after a few episodes. I've watched a few episodes of Veep and that seems about my speed. I've already seen the Sopranos and The Wire.

Tell me if Mr. Robot (the USA network series) is any good.

A lot of stuff on Prime that I'd be interested in are things I've already seen. I'm trying to make myself watch new things.

Since it's not too hard to download stuff off YouTube, any good movie recommendations that are there would be appreciated as well.

Any good TV series, especially with one hour episodes, would be ideal as I could do one episode with each workout.

I'm at home sick and have been getting through Red oaks and mad dogs which are both pretty good. Red oaks is a half hour story about a guy working at a country club in the 80s and is pretty funny, mad dogs is about a bunch of guys who get invited to their friend's mansion in Belize and things go a little crazy when the friend borrows a boat. These should get you through a few workouts.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They decided not to do a season 2.

I haven't finished it yet, but I can see why a second season might not work. Great show though.

Also seconding the recommend for Mr Robot, although I didn't see any of the end coming which was cool because it was like this after each episode: :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
The Greasy Strangler is on Amazon Prime. It's something!