Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Conan the Barbarian was apparently re-added to Netflix.

If you've never seen it, now's your chance. It's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

coyo7e posted:

Maybe I just don't get how Piper is supposed to be more culpable than the person who threw her under a bus so many times in a row, and such a terrible manipulative person because she's occasionally lied to try and protect peoples' feelings and stuff. I really like her immediate family.

Her mom is Jerri Blank's stepmother from Strangers with Candy.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 4, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Brocktoon posted:

The wife and I have our niece and nephew (7 and 9) coming over for a sleepover tomorrow night, and we're looking for something nostalgic to stream. The last couple times they were over we watched The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Everythign we've though of so far (Princess Bride, Back To The Future, Jurassic Park...) isn't available on Amazon or Netflix (for free, at least). Any good suggestions?

Stardust - it's basically the Princess Bride

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Snow on tha Bluff is interesting even though I can't understand more than one word in ten.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

LogisticEarth posted:

Regarding Creep, it was OK, but I didn't really enjoy it enough to actively recommend it to people. Apparently it's supposed to be horror-comedy? While it had a few funny parts most notably Duplass' self-jump scare at the end, it didn't really succeed at either creeping me out or making me laugh consistently. I found the villain to be more annoying than sinister, and the videographer was basically a wet paper bag of a character. That said, I wouldn't tell someone not to watch it.

I just don't like Mark Duplass so I think I'll be skipping this one. Thanks.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
The Guest is amazing. The soundtrack is also amazing.

I gave The Shield a try awhile back, and the first episode left me a little bored. I tried again, and am now hooked. It takes about 3-4 episodes to really get interested.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Is the shield on Netflix?

Hulu Plus

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Magnus Gallant posted:

The shield is on Amazon prime instant

WTF? Why am I watching this with commercials then?

*edit - no, only on Amazon Instant if you want to buy it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Rough Lobster posted:

Speaking of Justified, is it good? Heard real mixed things but I'm down with the whole lawman with a six shooter deal.

I started watching it because I wanted more Seth Bullock, but I stayed for Walton Goggins.

Don't get me wrong, Timothy Olyphant is fantastic so I still got my Deadwood fix, but the way Boyd Crowder delivers his lines is just next level.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I was bored with Wet Hot American Summer. Should I bother with the Netflix Original?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

coyo7e posted:

Also a bunch of new /+ terrible Nicholas Cage movies is up. The Outcast is really terrible, and I've never seen Windtalkers but I love the teaser picture which is Nicky Cage running toward the camera with a Navajo guy on his back, while Cage screams silently.

Windtalkers was pretty bad. I like hearing Navajo though, so that was pretty cool.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

precision posted:

Well NOW what am I supposed to watch, thread?!

Just watched 13 Assassins. That was pretty dope.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I couldn't stand Billy Eichner's character in Parks and Recreation but I just watched Difficult People on Hulu and it's actually pretty funny.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

AKMoose posted:

I recently watched it as a double bill with John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 and the two paired quite nicely.

Now watch Ghosts of Mars!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
For All Mankind is on Hulu Plus.

Just an amazing documentary about manned spaceflight, with an original soundtrack by Brian Eno.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
3 episodes in, Difficult People on Hulu is legit funny.

Just found out it's from Amy Poehler, so it makes sense why I like it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
North and North because gently caress it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Man Nightcrawler is a really creepy inversion of the "new guy tries hard and succeeds against all odds" trope. The "getting better at this" montage was great, and the inspirational music when he was moving the body, like he was finally finding the strength to succeed.

It's almost a sports movie.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 16, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I'm telling yall, Nightcrawler is a sports movie.

It's got everything. The seasoned competitor telling him he's not good enough, the "getting better" montage, the love interest, the establishment telling his maverick ways are a problem, even inspirational music playing when he finds the strength within himself to succeed at his "sport" (by violating crime-scenes).

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 24, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

precision posted:

You've probably already seen it, but Absentia is extremely good.

I agree, but people have to watch it with lowered expectations to get past the production values I think.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Masters of the Universe (1987)

Uh why is this not bolded? Dolph Lundgren as HeMan. What is not to like?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

But...but...my Daily Burn commercials. How will I ever know if I'm out of excuses?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Finishing up The Shield.

I'm surprised, but I feel bad for Shane.

5 episodes to go.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Basebf555 posted:

The urge to say something here is so strong, but I worry anything I'd say could spoil one of the most perfect t.v. show endings ever. Like, even if I said I would be curious to know if you still feel that way after the finale, that would probably be saying too much.

They make up, find a way to resurrect Lem, unburn the Armenian mob money, and fund their own private police force, right?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GonSmithe posted:

Crosspostin':

I'll watch anything Stringer Bell is in.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

morestuff posted:

I've always read that First Blood is a lot more grounded than the sequels but Rambo is popping a wheelie on a dirt bike within the first 20 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPjWrDmsZ0

If it wasn't a useful tactic, would *the* Delta Force use it?

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 5, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Wow. I went from rooting for Vic to get past Kavanaugh to rooting for his destruction. The contrast of Shane "losing" but getting to say goodbye to his family, and Vic "winning" but never getting to see his family again. Even then, he just internalizes it and goes off to cause more havoc in the world.

I used to not like Michael Chiklis because of The Commish, but drat that man has some acting chops.

That really was a masterful finale.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Is it scary horror? I guess I mean, in what way is it a horror movie? I can deal with Cabin in the Woods-style horror or Slither-style horror for the sake of a good comedy, but if poo poo's jumping out or whatever it freaks me out because I'm a baby.

You'll be fine. It won't bother you.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Good god I looked up the trailer (lol) for Foodfight and it is incredible that this was made in 2012. The animation looks at least 20 years old.

They raised $45 million for this film?

Did the production company decide "The Producers" was an instructional film? Someone walked away with $40 million in their pocket.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Lester Shy posted:

I'm getting Game of Thrones through the mail, but I need something to hold me over because I binge through the discs as soon as I get them. Are there any good "historical" political intrigue-y series on US Netflix? I checked out Spartacus, but it looked way too schlocky for me. Are either of the two series about the Borgias worth watching?

Pretty schlocky as well. One of the characters doesn't even bother to try to hide his American accent.

You could try Peaky Blinders

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I like endings that are a big "gently caress you" to the audience. I also enjoyed Funny Games

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

coyo7e posted:

Eh, it kind of took away the entire experience. It was just "here there be dragons *roll credits*" and it felt like the jurassic park water-glass scene way too much, for me. It felt like the writer had given up and was like "welp, dunno where to go from here - big boss monster and fade out!"

You mean Stephen King since that's directly from the novella that was published in 1980?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Here's a good challenge: name a cop show where the cops just do their jobs, and not in a sarcastic, cynical or obviously illegal way. I got Adam-12 and that's it.

Really? No one's thought of Cop Rock?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLm5Sn1cMyQ

I have family members who are cops, they say it's 100% accurate.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

david_a posted:

Fido was a relatively entertaining zombie comedy. The hook is that it takes place in an alternate reality 1950s where zombies have been domesticated as servants. I was hoping it would do a lot more exploring around whether zombies are still people (like some of Romero's movies) but it honestly squanders this despite strongly hinting it's going to go there. I didn't pick up on any major messages about slavery/classism or anything either, despite the setting basically begging for it. No colored zombies either, although that's probably due to being a Canadian movie :) The highlight is the nauseating 1950s aesthetic with those aquamarine land-barges, bold colored houses, housewife dresses, etc. It's worth a watch if you're in the mood for a more lighthearted zombie film but it doesn't leave much of a mark.

I love Fido. It explored some interesting angles that would probably come up in a post-Zombie apocalypse world (i.e. nursing homes having to be placed in prisons, children being taught from a young age to shoot).

It's basically an hour and a half episode of Lassie, which seems like a one note joke, but it never got old for me.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Everyone should shut up and start watching Zoo immediately. Telepathic lions, mass housecat migrations.

Episode 2 has a Jack Russell Terrier stealing souvenirs from tourists to lead them into a deadly dog ambush in an abandoned warehouse.

Episode 3 has a pack of wolves staging a prison break. All of the guards forget that they're in a prison and could just shut the door behind them to be safe from the bloodthirsty pack.

It's absolutely amazing.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 28, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Zoo as in the shithouse James Patterson novel?

Turned into a shithouse CBS TV Show.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

So it's "The Happening" with animals?

Pretty much. In the next episode it's revealed the pack of wolves apparently wiped out the entire prison, with no survivors (except for the death row prisoner they are telepathically linked with that they rescued).

It's just so very, bad and amazing. There are French characters who speak in French for the first episode and a half, and then I guess it got to expensive too pay for subtitle translators so they just switch to heavily accented English and have been speaking that ever since, even when it's just the two of them.

The first episode's climax is a tree full of housecats. Don't know how else to describe it.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 29, 2015

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

A MIRACLE posted:

Okay so they took Dead Zone off of Netflix for october.

so what are some streaming recommendations for halloween spooky scary time? I have netflix and amazon

That Paramount youtube channel has The Loved Ones. Pretty entertaining.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Banshee is loving awesome. Why am I only just now finding out about this show?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
It Follows is on Netflix canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Sleeveless posted:

This movie is worth it for just for the soundtrack, it's by the same guy who did the soundtrack for the game Fez and it's cool Carpenter-style fat synths with a little Drive mixed in for good measure.

The entire movie has a Carpenter feel. I quite enjoyed it in theaters.