Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I can't believe how bad Dexter got towards the end, I've never seen anything crash and burn so hard.

The only time Dexter ever wasn't complete trash was the scene towards the end of season 1 (I think? maybe it was 2) where he's fantasizing that if everyone knew about him they'd celebrate his actions, which would have been a good (if very dark) gag in a series that didn't constantly apologize for its serial killer protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

volts5000 posted:

I’m a complete sucker for the “ragtag team of underdogs going against the odds” trope like A-Team, Leverage, Burn Notice, etc. Anybody got any recommendations to anything similar to those?

It's a bit darker than Leverage, but have you seen Person of Interest?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

volts5000 posted:

Couldn’t quite get into that when it first came out. Maybe I should give it another try.

It's a fairly straightforward (if endearing) procedural for three seasons and then becomes something much more unique. I don't blame you if waiting three seasons for it to "get good" is unpalatable, but on the other hand, I liked both parts.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

red19fire posted:

I watched season 1, can I just skip to season 4?

At minimum, there are going to be a couple of characters you either don't recognize at all or whose allegiances have shifted significantly, and you'll have no idea where the main antagonist / conceit came from.

Watching it from season 3 might work better, now that I think of it.

The main takeway from Season 2 is the CIA assassin and the sociopathic hacker girl more or less reform themselves and join the crew, and the Machine itself is intelligent

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 14, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lycus posted:

"And he keeps her captive and makes her do these puzzles to make the AI!"

"... Why didn't the company just pay people to do puzzles?"

"Ummmm..."

Honestly you're halfway to selling me on Tau.

The entire reason to develop an AI is so you don't have to pay your employees!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Stranger Things is okay but the evil isn't nearly personified enough for it to be an "all Stephen King stories at once" adaptation. Think about it, his monsters are assholes, with only a handful of exceptions. Randall Flagg, Pennywise, the Overlook Hotel, they all have big, nasty personalities. The Demogorgon's not really much more than a dangerous animal.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

Counterpart is a wonderful entry into the genre of multidimensional spy thrillers. It's on the starz catalogue if you wanna get a free trial on prime, they have the pixar collection as well I think which is fun.

A while ago I asked about supernatural / sci-fi spy thrillers and nobody could name any (aside from Person of Interest, sort of) so I will absolutely check this out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

precision posted:

Yeah seriously I don't even like the anime and I loved it.

Death Note is good almost in inverse proportion to how much you liked the anime.

Like, the TV anime is a story about a superhuman sociopath who, while evil and more or less condemned for it, really is smarter and better than everyone around him and is only brought down my the machinations of other superhumans. There's a certain amount of class-based criticism of Light as an "elite" but it largely buys into the mythology that "elites" actually exist and simply focuses on the Faustian / moral dimension.

Wingard Death Note is about a teenage goober whose dad is a cop, and the whole film is about the petulant use of unearned power.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

It's a paid rental, but The Endless is so loving good. Indie sci-fi/horror/mystery about two brothers who escaped a UFO death cult 10 years ago and are drawn to go back.

If you enjoyed that, watch Resolution (or for other viewers, maybe watch Resolution first).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the algorithms that stare at goats

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

I honestly had major issues with the movie, especially with giving the racist and violent cop a redemption arc without even bothering having him change his core beliefs or values. Frances McDormand was incredible in it, but the movie was really overrated and I'm so glad that it didn't win Best Picture.

I mean it's not really a redemption arc, the movie is about bad people becoming different, but even worse people.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hold the Dark looks like a film perfectly tailored to appeal to my personal phobias and I look forward to it simply for the novelty of being scared by a horror movie after years of desensitization. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

How could you tell?

Around the time the fourth or fifth rapist gets his dick shot off on camera, I started thinking "wow, this is a little excessive even for Verhoeven."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wish Cosmatos had done more with the Rob Zombie stuff, i.e. when the cult catches sight of Mandy the first time and it does the 'last known photo' effect on her.

I really need to get around to watching some of Rob Zombie's films.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I liked Mandy, but there's a lot of wasted potential there. Like you've got all these hints about Mandy being the "author" of her own death, framing Red's revenge rampage as her fantasy, some hints towards the end of Red himself having a history of mystical experience / transgression, the nod towards Reagan heralding the death and corruption of the hippie era, and so on... but all of that mostly just ends up being characterization at best, and references for the sake of reference at worst.

I'd love to hear someone prove me wrong and draw all of that into a cohesive reading -- and I think the Mandy-as-author stuff comes close -- but I wasn't entirely satisfied with what we got.

e: tagged some of that stuff just in case

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 10, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Medullah posted:

You guys keep talking about Mandy, where is it streaming? I don't see it unless I'm blind.

It's a rental on Amazon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The_Rob posted:

I mean what would you get out of if they added explanations and exposition. It seems you were able to figure it out without it so I'm not sure what they could really add to the film you know?

I'm not looking for explanations or exposition within the narrative, I'm looking for these things to mean something, to make a statement of some kind. They're cool, but I don't know why they're significant, or how they relate to each other.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Finally started watching Sabrina, and I kind of like it. Some of the subplots with the friends are just bad (I’m only 4 episodes in), and the video quality might be the worst I have seen on Netflix. Shame because the imagery of the show is A+. I have to give them credit for embracing so much evil, while balancing Sabrina as a good person too. To be honest I am not sure if I would be watching it wasn’t evil. Also I might be giving it bonus points due to how much I respected Kiernan Shipka’s performance as Sally Draper. That said I am not the target audience for this (I think Riverdale went from just ok to garbage in season 2), but I’m enjoying it.

I think it's still a little bit too self-conscious. That said at the end of season 1 they tease familiars talking so the audience can understand them and that's a big (if symbolic) step in the right direction if they follow through, so I'm still on board for more.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

Wasn't it also shown that some people that watch a lot of gunplay movies get thumbnails with guns, those that watch stand ups get smiling people, etc?

Which sucks, because it deliberately sabotages your ability to get any information about what you're watching from the thumbnail.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lycus posted:

Flowers is a weird show. Silly dark comedy, silly dark comedy, oh here's a serious scene about chronic depression.

Quoting this so I can remember to look it up later, because that sounds extremely my jam.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Annihilation isn't complete trash.

It's one extremely effective horror sequence and one interesting portrayal of a completely alien entity, which make up about 10-15 minutes of the film between them, sandwiched between terrible ham-fisted exposition, flat characters, and a travelogue through an environment that isn't nearly weird enough to live up to its premise. It's not a very good movie and it's an even worse adaptation of the novel.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

married but discreet posted:

If I was an obnoxious movie person I'd call Annihilation baby's first "weird" movie, or alternatively I'd say Annihilation is to Stalker as Interstellar is to 2001.

harsh, but accurate

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

isn't Monte Cristo 2002 the one where Edmond Dantes lives happily ever after with Mercedes at the end and Albert is really his son

like could you possibly miss the point of the story any harder

gently caress that movie

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Erebus posted:

fuckin what

i mean it's kind of corny but if the alternative is that Interpol are the good guys, i'll take it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Skyline owns. I haven't seen the sequel, though -- was it by a different director or am I thinking of some other movie?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Legion is fantastic all the way through, although the middle of season 2 has some pacing issues.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hulu is really, aggressively anti-adblock and much harder to circumvent than most sites.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

I haven't seen a good movie from South Korea since

TRAIN
TO
BUSAN

Prime or netflix got any new ones since 2016?

You might have already seen it, since it came out in 2016, but The Wailing is one of the best horror movies ever made. I've heard it called "The Korean Exorcist", which is deeply unfair, because it sets unrealistic expectations that The Exorcist can't possibly live up to. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If you read The Wailing as exclusively endorsing the Christian take on what's going on, then yeah, you're not going to enjoy the movie, because there are three mutually exclusive cultural explanations for what's going on, each accusing the others of being liars and devils, and the impossibility of telling which one is true is literally the whole point. The movie is about the incredibly uncomfortable history between Christianity, native Korean religion, and Buddhism -- with the latter portrayed by a deliberately exaggerated racial stereotype of an evil/perverted Japanese man.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 25, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i'm looking for a horror movie on netflix
- with a supernatural monster
- that isn't a zombie or a ghost or some other bullshit that could be accomplished by putting an extra in make-up
- recent-ish
- not complete trash
- leaning more towards serious than horror-comedy

Something like The Ritual, Borderlands / Final Prayer, Spring, or even the rubber-suit antics of something like The Monster would qualify, but I've seen all of those.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That Works posted:

Stranger Things seems to tick those boxes I guess? 1st thing that came to mind at least.

I've seen it, and it's probably safe to assume I've seen anything comparably high-profile. I'm looking for weird indie poo poo, not even particularly out of preference but just because it's all that's left. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You've seen most of the go-to suggestions, like when I read the description of what you wanted The Ritual was my first thought. What about The Void?

Also, it doesn't exactly fit all your criteria but if you haven't seen it, why not watch the best found footage horror movie of all time, As Above, So Below?

I saw both of those, and really enjoyed both. It's on the right track, at least?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I probably ought to spring for Shudder one of these days.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Does it need to be on Netflix? There's Monsters from 2010, though I guess it's extraterrestrial, not supernatural. It's on Hulu.

I've got Student Prime on Amazon as well, if it's free via that service.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Would werewolves scratch your itch? Prime has The Company of Wolves. Folk horror, dreamy atmosphere, great sfx, and it’s kind of an anthology film.

I saw The Company of Wolves at age six; it traumatized me for years. I love it to death and it's probably a big part of the reason I'm a horror fan. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

Under the Shadow? Iranian film about djinns invading the apartment of a woman and her daughter during the bombing of Tehran. It's quite good and is only a few years old.

Someone recommended this to me ages ago and I somehow never got around to it; I'll guess I'll check it out, plus The Windmill (if for no other reason then because a Dutch horror movie about an evil miller sounds hilariously on the nose.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Jacob's Ladder ticks every box except recent-ish and Netflix (it's on Prime). It's a fantastic movie but you've probably seen it.

E: I guess it fails your second qualification too. And the first one is debatable. I promise it is a horror movie though!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

The Endless By the guys who made Spring.

I've seen these, but I've got enough good leads for now; thanks, everyone.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Under the Shadow is fantastic, I can't believe I slept on this

or how the movie managed to make a piece of cloth fluttering in the wind loving terrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a monster in Apostle? I think that one fits all your criteria.

Seen it. :v: