Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I saw Fight Club in cinemas but didn't see Heathers until last year. It felt like the other shoe had dropped, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

InterrupterJones posted:

There wasn't anything really wrong with the performances, just pretty one-note. The two best performances were definitely Michael Fassbender and Scoot McNairy, but Maggie Gyllenhaal and Domhnall Gleeson were a bit static the whole time. The other two band members were pretty underplayed, and as such didn't really develop as the story went on either. This is definitely the kind of movie that supports those character types, though, so that was likely their intent from the start.

If I remember correctly the other band members were cast as musicians first and actors second, so their parts were deliberately fairly background. Which is totally okay, the film's not really about them and doesn't call for them to do much other than play, pose and scowl.

I will warn anyone who goes in with expectations - the film is not about Frank Sidebottom and Chris Sievy, but uses the character of Frank to explore music and the notion of the tortured genius. Hopefully this should have been obvious from the start (Frank's head in the film is recognisably similar, but distinct from, Frank Sidebottom's) but I've seen some really angry reviews complaining that the film isn't a straightforward biopic and doesn't mention Timperley once.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Both Cranks are incredible experiences. Get yourself a six pack of cheap horrible energy drink and double bill those fuckers.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

swansong posted:

I can't stand by and let people watch Dredd when they should be watching The Raid instead.

They're both really good films.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Why on earth doesn't Netflix have any kind of watch offline option for mobile?

I mean I guess I understand the business reasons but my work has me doing a ton of traveling over the next few days and it would be nice to load up on and binge through the kind of stuff my wife's not so bothered about.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

its a streaming service. what you want is not streaming

Yeah I get this but plenty of other streaming services like Spotify or BBC's iPlayer have offline options.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I like Cal. He's a goofy weirdo goonlord but he's endearing with it. :)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I remember James and the Giant Peach having some loving intense sequences from seeing it in the cinema as a little kid.

This is good though. Roald Dahl firmly believed in terrifying the poo poo out of your kids.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Aliens and Terminator 2 are great films to show nieces and nephews when they're about 12-13 if you want to cement your legacy as Coolest Uncle Ever.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

magnificent7 posted:

Hey, speaking of scarring young kids, (from the previous page) my kids are now 10 and 12 and I've been hitting all the horrors.

My rule of thumb is, "Has a similar thing happened in a Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie?"

This rule comfortably includes:
- dismemberment
- big huge loving spiders
- being frozen to death
- being cut in half, beheaded, etc.
- Melting into a waxy skeleton
- Punching into a chest and pulling out a heart

etc. etc.

Of course, I DO pause the flicks occasionally to make sure they know it's all pretend. They loved Alien, Alien 2 and Prometheus. We haven't done Alien 3 yet because they've been too busy digging on the walking dead.

Yes. I know. I'm raising demons.

Not so much horror but you should see what they make of Commando and Predator.

I really wish Predator didn't have that opening shot of the ship that spoils the big left turn the film takes.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Top Secret! is great, it's from the era of comedy films where they just flung everything at the screen so even if a joke doesn't quite land guess what there's five more coming in the next minute.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

drunken officeparty posted:

Am I seeing this correctly that Netflix has Bourne 1 and 2 but not 3. Why must you do this to me netflix

It's available if you have some way of appearing to be in Canada, Mexico or South America :ssh:

http://www.moreflicks.com/titles/movies_the-bourne-ultimatum_2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Iron Crowned posted:

Is Fargo 2 on streaming already?

If you can switch regions it's on German Netflix.