Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

fenix down posted:

Hits is very watchable if you like stuff like World's Greatest Dad or God Bless America.

That's a bad comparison, because World's Greatest Dad is pretty good and God Bless America blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Try to not get pumped during the fights set to the Mortal Kombat theme, I bet you can't do it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

precision posted:

What? It just got added to Netflix two days ago.

People have been talking about it constantly since it went up, and when it was announced it was arriving soon, everyone was talking about it then, too. It's generated a good amount of discussion in a short amount of time.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

End of Watch is very good, Pena and Jake are excellent together. The villains are drawn with a very broad stroke that clashes with the overall tone but it's definitely worth a watch.

The story is definitely the weakest part of End Of Watch. The chemistry between Peņa and Gyllenhaal is worth the price of admission.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

A MIRACLE posted:

What are some good action thrillers I should check out? I've watched every comedy on Netflix I think. I like movies like shooter, and basically anything with Liam neeson

John Woo's The Killer is pretty good, even though some of the drama falls flat.

Unrelated: the '53 War of the Worlds is up, time to relive part of my childhood!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
And you can finally click to go to the next set of movies, holy poo poo it's so much faster than that slow-rear end scrolling.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I didn't realize until the very end that H. Jon Benjamin was narrating it. I'm down.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Is this going to be an Arrested Development Season 4 situation? If so :negative:

Wet Hot could easily survive a split-up cast like Arrested Development had. The groups in the movie were separated for most of the runtime anyway.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Stairmaster posted:

I don't know if you guys know this but there's this movie on netflix that's going away on wednesday. It's called Terminator 2 and you should probably go see it if you haven't.

Prepare yourself for the new one! :w00t:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Conan the Barbarian was apparently re-added to Netflix.

If you've never seen it, now's your chance. It's fantastic.

Conan is great. The score is tremendous, Arnold fights a dude who looks like Lemmy, and James Earl Jones plays the bad guy. It's a ridiculously masculine movie that's also a hell of a lot of fun.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

This is incredibly good news. The Warriors is a great, atmospheric film, and the comic book stuff takes a dump on the mood of the film.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Just watch Conan instead.

Or watch The Terminator, which is at least as good as T2, and you could make an argument for it being better.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm honestly baffled that anyone can choose (unless you've only seen the director's cut of T2). T1 and T2 theatrical are perfect movies.

This is where I'm at. They're both excellent in their own ways.

Boosh! posted:

Just started Ravenous (on Netflix) for the first time since maybe when it was initially released. The opening credits are fantastic.

Guy Pearce vomiting and a freeze-frame with the title is cinematic perfection. The rest of the movie is pretty good too, if you like dark comedy.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
When did Rocky get put back up on Netflix? If you haven't seen it, you should definitely watch it. It's a great drama, and more than lives up to its legacy as a classic.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The Conversation is up. It was the first movie Francis Ford Coppola released in 1974, and it's a knockout. Gene Hackman plays a secretive, socially-awkward surveillance worker who becomes curious about a conversation he's paid to snoop on. It touches on a lot of themes, including religion and moral quandaries presented by such a job, and the stuff about surveillance still holds up to this day. The cinematography is great, in a subtle, unflashy way. Hackman's character is very well-drawn and, of course, well-acted. Plus, Harrison Ford before he was popular! Give it a go if you're in the mood for a great 70's thriller.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Junkie Disease posted:

Netflix has The Net
Gods perfect movie.
4:3 format,
Bullock finds wolfenstien 3d has a virus if you hit escape for a blank check,
Is there a older version called "The Mail" about a shut in who has their life ruined because they have their mail read?

Oh hell yeah, I've been meaning to watch The Net for awhile.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Blisster posted:

Oh, totally forgot about Holy Motors. Really not sure how I felt about that one. Some of the sequences are really beautiful but something about the movie just didn't click with me.

The more I think about Holy Motors, the more I dislike it. Once you come up with a reading of the film, it suddenly becomes a lot less interesting because most of the mystery is gone. It also completely front-loads itself with the best stuff.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Burn Notice is a fun, if formulaic, show with a pretty good cast, Gabriel Anwar aside. And yes, it does have a lot of fun bit parts. I wish they had given Robert Patrick more to do. It's the kind of show where creating a fake missionary to make the villain of the week look insane doesn't feel out of place.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I really love the casual voiceover work where Michael tells you how to properly do spy things that sort of start out passe but then escalate into like nuggets of lunacy.

The show could never top Michael intercepting a radio signal by fashioning a receiver out of a Pringles cans and a coat hanger.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tommofork posted:

After watching Bojack Horseman I noticed an odd category while scrolling through Netflix.

:golfclap: to you, Netflix.

I got recommendations for Baby Sitter's Club and some doomsday stuff after watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

The Hurt Locker (2008)
Lord of War (2005)

Whoop whoop

morestuff posted:

Leaving Netflix in August 2015
Face/Off (1997)
Pumping Iron (1977)
Titanic (1997)

Booooo

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

Yeah, I'd strongly encourage people to watch Pumping Iron if they haven't

Pumping Iron is way better than I expected. Arnold is such a charming dick, and he's eating up the attention the film crew is giving him. Also, you see Franco Columbu use his breath to inflate a hot water bottle until it pops.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

the great deceiver posted:

It's one of my favorite documentaries ever if just for the scene where Arnold is talking about constantly cumming. I wonder if he was constantly cumming in the Governor's office.

I can't tell what my favorite Arnold moment is, that scene, the advice about screaming, or the bit where he talks about loving Lou Ferrigno

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Hey, general announcement for people who like horror, A Nightmare on Elm Street is up on Netflix. If you've never seen it, buckle the hell up.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

Along similar lines, I just found out The Killer is up there. That is worth a watch.

The Killer is a good choice. The drama aspects don't work for me, but the action is really good.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Motherfucker I just paid for a digital rental for this a week ago.

Thank's for Muphy's Lawing it onto Netflix for me :madmax:

But really, A Nightmare on Elm Street is one of the few movies I've seen that balances a well-constructed story with a bonkers screenplay so well. It throws everything at the wall, and it all sticks.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I was bored with Wet Hot American Summer. Should I bother with the Netflix Original?

Nah. It's the same style of humor, but played looser. I'm enjoying it, but I liked the movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I have definitely seen Windtalkers, but I can't tell you if it was good or bad. It's not very inspired like some of Woo's other American efforts, like Hard Target or the masterpiece that Face/Off is, and is overall forgettable.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

precision posted:

Well NOW what am I supposed to watch, thread?!

A Nightmare on Elm Street

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ChineseConnection posted:

You're in luck, its on Netflix!

US Netflix only has the 1970's version, not the Marlon Brando version that Lost Soul is about.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Enos Cabell posted:

I just watched Lost Soul last night and really dug it. The closest documentary I can think of would be Lost in La Mancha about Terry Gilliams failed attempt to get a Don Quixote movie made. Also there is Overnight about Troy Duffy (Boondock Saints) flaming out of Hollywood. I don't think either are streaming anywhere right now, though they have been on Netflix in the past.

e: forgot this one, but Jodorowsky's Dune is in that same vein

I'd love some other suggestions too

The existence of Boondock Saints is justified by Overnight. It's incredible watching Troy Duffy be given the chance of a lifetime, and then watching him squander it and burn all his bridges. It doesn't appear to be on any streaming, which is disappointing, because it's pretty good.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

coyo7e posted:

I don't think it's really that people don't care about the west, it's just that they care differently about it then we did as a society, once upon a time. Ravenous would be a prime example of a modern "Western" for instance, where the depravity and misery and desperation are all brought to the fore, as much as the scenery and the six shooters.

Ravenous owns, and it's on Netflix. It's a weird genre-hopping movie that touches on Westerns, horror, and dark comedy. Definitely a good watch if that sounds intriguing to anyone. And the soundtrack kicks rear end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-KLn_PgQg

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I've watched two films in a row many times. Maybe I should develop the thought further to say that taking two films, which have very little in common (most of the examples in this thread, for instance), watching them, then telling people they pair well as if it means something.

Every time I see it I remember the posts from years ago whenever someone posted a gif and someone else saw it and then said it goes well with (this song), only not as irritating.

Sorry everyone I'm not having a pop I just wondered why it happens.

Most, if not all, of the double bills floated here are suggested because there is something about the two movies that are similar, but they're not the same. Assault on Precinct 13 and The Warriors share a similar visual style, and are about surrounded groups holding out as best they can over the course of one night.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I'd pair Halloween III with Phantasm. Something about them more being mystery movies with sci-fi elements and infiltrating "normal" but mysterious locations links the two in my mind. I'd also do New Nightmare and Babadook, because so many similar visuals and themes carry over from the former to the latter.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Is Halloween III streaming on anything? It is one of the few always discussed horror movies that I have never seen.

Hoopla, the streaming service that my library uses, has it, but I think that's about it. I don't know if that one's available to you through your library or if you can just buy a subscription to it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The_Rob posted:

Everyone just skip Rocky horror and go to Phantom of the paradise. It's better in every way.

:agreed:

K. Waste posted:

I've also yet to see Phantom

You should probably see it before posting about its themes, duder.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My main problem with Shock Treatment is that the songs are lousy but what's her face was the ideal replacement for Susan Sarandon. Plus its nice to see Rik Mayall in a movie.

Jessica Harper, star of Suspiria and Phantom of the Paradise as well!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Overall that's why I think I like Shock Treatment more. It's more focused on a message than Rocky Horror, and it builds upon a central thesis. Phantom of the Paradise is still better than both, though.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
If you have a chance, watch Purple Rain with an audience. It completely changes the movie when you have a group of people who are really into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Judakel posted:

Purple Rain is a very bad movie.

Someone needs to purify themselves in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.