Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I watched Stories We Tell tonight thanks to the Good Movie Dump in the OP. It maybe strains just a little too hard, but I thought it was mostly terrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytq4VZ2Nyxg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Thwomp posted:

Just a standard reminder that Hannibal (Season 1) is available on on Prime Instant. Season 2 is also there but for purchase only.

It's still totally worth it as the show is fantastic and the third season is due to start airing on NBC this summer.

Season 2 is going up on Prime on the 28th.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Chichevache posted:

The dog episode is probably the most beautifully profane bit of television I've ever had the privilege of watching. It is a masterpiece.

There's a moment where he absent-mindedly licks his fingers and it's just terrific

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Robocop remake is something I wish was just like 10% better. There's a lot of interesting grist there, but it's a big lump dramatically.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I honestly have similar issues with the original, but the light touch goes a long way.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Netflix stuff for March. Kind of a light month, but Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt looks funny, and I've been meaning to see Life Itself and The Man With The Iron Fists. How to Train Your Dragon 2 is probably a big get, as well.

quote:

March 1
30 for 30: Of Miracles and Men (2015)
The Brothers Grimm (2005)
Evelyn (2002)
Finding Neverland (2004)
Mercy Rule (2014)
Monster High: 13 Wishes (2013)
Patch Adams (1998)
Rules of Engagement (2000)
Teen Witch (1989)

March 5
The ABCs of Death 2
Food Chains (2014)

March 6
Aziz Ansari Live at Madison Square Garden (2015)
My Own Man (2014)

March 9
After the Fall (2014)
Cesar Chavez (2014)
The Angriest Man in Brooklyn (2014)
Tyler Perry's The Single Moms Club (2014)

March 10
Monster High: Haunted (2015)

March 11
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)

March 15
Marvel & ESPN Films Present: 1 of 1: Genesis (2014)

March 17
Dummy (2002)
You're Not You (2014)

March 19
Life Itself (2014)

March 20
God's Not Dead (2014)

March 23
November Man (2014)

March 27
Frankie & Alice (2010)

March 31
Ask Me Anything (2014)
The Man With the Iron Fists (2012)

TELEVISION
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (season 1, March 6)
Archer (season 5, March 7)
Glee (season 5, March 7)
A Different World (complete series, March 15)
Third Rock From the Sun (complete series, March 15)
Bloodline (season 1, March 20)
Mad Men (season 7, March 22)
Garfunkel and Oates (season 1, March 25)
Turn (season 1, March 25)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What is that ESPN/Marvel thing.

Capital S Synergy

quote:

Marvel Entertainment and ESPN Films are proud to announce the feature-length documentary “1 of 1 – Genesis” and short film series “1 of 1 – Origins,” two all-new projects combining the powerful storytelling sensibilities of these two entertainment leaders for the very first time. Both the documentary and the short film series will provide viewers a unique look at some of the world’s most successful athletes by mixing the award-winning non-fiction style of ESPN Films with classic Marvel comic book art, design and creative animation to truly bring a unique perspective to the journeys of these key figures.

The documentary film, “1 of 1 – Genesis,” is currently available on Digital HD through select digital retailers. It explores the connections between Marvel’s mightiest Super Heroes and the world’s greatest athletes while attempting to answer the age-old question of nature vs. nurture: Are top athletes born or created?

The “1 of 1 – Origins” short film series will launch this summer on SportsCenter and across ESPN’s digital platforms simultaneously. Each short film focuses on a single athlete, all of whom have, like all Marvel Super Heroes, a defining story of the origin of their powers in their ascent to greatness in their sport.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It looks like Netflix bought that Pee-Wee/Apatow movie, too

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

weekly font posted:

Man With the Iron Fists was acceptable because the theater was only my friend and I and we were super blazed. Even with that, it was still just okay. I imagine if I watched it stone sober I'd find it very bad.

My expectations are low, but I enjoy RZA: Maverick Auteur even if the solo stuff he puts out tends to be crap

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Smoking weed and watching kung fu movies is a proud tradition.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Hm. Never heard of it.so the second one is worth watching though? It seems to have decent reviews.

E: oh it's not on Netflix nm

It will be in March.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

red19fire posted:

Robert Rodriguez's Mariachi trilogy is great, also has these companion short movies (in the DVD extras :corsair:) called 10 Minute Film School that give great insight into his process. They're all on youtube for a 90's blast from the past.

His cooking schools are better.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

What's weird is that they never really acknowledge the elephant in the room- that they're primarily competing to voice trailers, but trailers these days rarely use voiceovers. It's not a huge deal because the plot still works with that knowledge, and it's mostly about sexism in society as demonstrated by this particular industry (and by "voices" in general, with a nice sidebar on the vocal fry / "sexy baby" trend), but I also think they could have fit it in the plot, which makes it curious that they didn't.

I liked the movie too, but this plays into some of the weird tone problems it has. It takes some elements very seriously, then goes for broad, doofy satire in moments like the big ending. Ken Marino and Rob Corrdry feel like they're acting in completely different movies.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm just glad that Ken Marino finally has a real career.

Definitely. I watch the just-OK Marry Me most weeks to see him, Tim Meadows and John Gemberling on a regular basis.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

One of the best running gags in the State-spinoff comedies is that every character can turn into the world's biggest rear end in a top hat on a dime if there's a funny line in it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Is there a good searchable site that collects what's available for streaming on Netflix and Amazon Prime (and other sites maybe)? It'd be nice to have a go-to site to look things up on instead of searching three or four separate places.

canistream.it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Last night on Amazon I watched CineD favorite Punishment Park. It's a pseudo documentary from 1971 about an alternate history (though not that alternate) where radical protesters and draft dodgers are rounded up and given prison sentences by civilian tribunals but can defer their sentences to try their luck in a punishment park. It's mad dope yall.

Co-signed, it's the rawest movie I've seen in a long time.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

TV always feels like it needs more context than other media, though that's probably not the case anymore.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

forever whatever posted:

Is there an episode of X-Files that was shot in the style of the reality show COPS? I feel like a friend told me I should watch that episode for some reason like, years ago. It's possible I'm confabulating the whole thing though.

X-Cops, seventh season. Written by Vince Gilligan.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Force Majeure went up on Netflix at some point — I enjoyed it a lot. It's funnier than the description makes it sound.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah. The cast is game, but it doesn't know what kind of movie it wants to be and isn't really funny.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Coming to Netflix in April. Solid stuff like Hot Fuzz, Bound, The Babadook, National Treasure and They Came Together, plus stuff I've been meaning to see like Noah, Goodbye to Language and A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. Also Daredevil.

April 1
And Now ... Ladies and Gentlemen... (2002)
Bandolero (2000)
Barnyard (2006)
The Beautician and the Beast (1997)
Bound (1996)
Buffalo Soldiers (2001)
The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course (2002)
Down to Earth (2001)
Leprechaun 3 (1995)
Leprechaun 4: In Space (1997)
Leprechaun 6: Back 2 tha Hood (2003)
Suicide Kings (1997)
Sunset Strip (2000)
Underworld (2003)
Whiteboyz (1999)
Wrong Turn at Tahoe (2009)

April 2
Life Partners (2014)
Sinbad: The Fifth Voyage (2014)

April 3
Starry Eyes (2014)
The Quiet Ones (2014)

April 7
Preservation (2014)

April 9
Pioneer (2013)

April 10
The Awakening (2013)
Broken (2013)
Burning Bridges (2014)
Confusion Na Wa (2013)
Finding Mercy (2012)
Finding Mercy 2 (2014)
Flower Girl (2013)
Forgetting June (2013)
Knocking on Heaven's Door (2014)
Lagos Cougars (2013)
Lies Men Tell (2013)
Mad Couple (2014)
Mad Couple 2 (2014)
Matters Arising (2014)
October 1* (2014)
Onye Ozi (2013)
Ties That Bind (2011)

April 12
The Identical (2014)

April 14
The Babadook (2014)
Goodbye to Language (2014)
Kink (2013)

April 16
Hot Fuzz (2007)

April 17
Chris D'Elia: Incorrigible (2015)
They Came Together (2014)

April 18
Noah (2014)

April 21
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)

April 26
The Nutty Professor 2: Facing the Fear (2008)

April 27
National Treasure (2004)

TELEVISION
All Hail King Julien (season 1, April 3)
Derek (special, April 3)
Halt and Catch Fire (season 1, April 8)
Marvel's Daredevil (season 1, April 10)
Video Game High School (season 3, April 13)
Baby Daddy (season 4, April 17)

Being removed:

April 1
28 Hotel Rooms
Annie (1982)
Astonishing X-Men: Dangerous
Astonishing X-Men: Torn
Astonishing X-Men: Unstoppable
Baby Geniuses: A Trip to the San Diego Zoo
Baby Geniuses: Animal Adventures
Chalet Girl
Clue
Color Splash Collection: Collection 1
Coneheads
Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th: Part 2
Friday the 13th: Part 3
Friday the 13th: Part 4: The Final Chapter
Friday the 13th: Part 6: Jason Lives
Friday the 13th: Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Get Shorty
Good Morning, Vietnam
Guess Who
Income Property Collection: Collection 1
Inventing the Abbotts
Jane Eyre (1944)
Jeepers Creepers
Jeepers Creepers 2
Les Misérables (1935)
Madeline (1989)
Miral
Murder by Numbers
Mystic Pizza
Mystic River
Pee-wee's Big Adventure
Philadelphia
Rachael Ray's Week in a Day Collection: Collection 1
Reindeer Games
Selling New York Collection: Collection 1
Sense and Sensibility
Shadow of the Vampire
Taking Lives
The Amityville Horror (1979)
The Cable Guy
The Karate Kid (1984)
The Karate Kid Part II
The Karate Kid Part III
The Quick and the Dead
The Whole Nine Yards

April 10
Sleeping Beauty (2011)

April 12
Paranormal Activity 4: Unrated Edition

April 16
The Woman Who Wasn't There

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 18, 2015

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Take This Waltz is almost a great movie, it just has five or six scenes of clunky, overwritten dialogue anchoring down all the good performances and nice photography

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'm just a little torn on Force Majeure — the premise is interesting enough that I might've liked a deeper dive instead of just a series of punchlines, even if the joke is a good one.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think they made a good choice, because a more serious take on it might have been punishing.

Yeah, that's probably a big part of why it works so well. They take you right to the emotional edge before turning things over to farce.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Not a perfect fix, but this makes Netflix's web interface slightly less lovely.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Depending on your taste, you could try Mubi. It's a curated rotation of 30 movies, with a new one every day. It leans more towards the indie/obscure, but it does give the option to download for offline viewing. $5.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if you haven't seen The IT Crowd it's on US Netflix and sorta scratches the same itch

edit: i just realized the rich rear end in a top hat in Calvary was one of the dudes on Black Books. knew i'd seen him somewhere before.

Shaun of the Dead, as well.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

stickyfngrdboy posted:

He's called Dylan Moran and he's a very well known comedian.

I mostly know him as the guy from Black Books, Calvary and Shaun of the Dead

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ravenkult posted:

Can I get some recs for movies similar to Rear Window? I've seen Body Double, Disturbia and The Burbs.

Also any movies about secluded cabins, houses, wilderness and so on.

Not the exact same, but maybe try The Conversation.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Man, some of the hospital footage in Life Itself is just crushing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

cyberia posted:

It doesn't need to be on Netflix specifically but I couldn't find a 'recommend a movie thread' sooo can anyone recommend a good movie to watch as part of a double feature with Die Hard?

For future reference.

(And Point Break)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bonestorm had the same problem Slumber Party Alien Abduction had, where for the first few minutes when it's just a video of kids loving around it's pretty fun but when the monsters show up it turns to badly shot boring dogshit

I thought the same thing about Chronicle. The format can be really intimate, it'd be interesting to see someone run with that in a quieter way.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I think someone (Hundu?) recommended Snow on tha Bluff as something along those lines. I saw it was up on Netflix, I'll hit it eventually.

Chichevache posted:

I almost bit on this crap opinion, but then I recognized your avatar and remembered you just don't like fun. It is ok, different strokes and all, I just want to make sure impressionable readers have that background information so they aren't swayed.

Nah, it's a dope take

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

neonnoodle posted:

Netflix has devolved badly in the last 3-5 years. I know it's not their fault but the catalog is now like 85% B-class documentaries/documercials, horror sequels, and occasionally a good movie or TV show. It seems like they hardly add anything older than 30 years ago to the streaming catalog anymore.

What I want is pretty much the streaming equivalent of channels like TCM, but most older films are only streamable a la carte on services like Amazon and VUDU. There is the Warner Archive but that is pretty B-quality stuff and they know it. Hulu is good for the Criterion Collection, but what do you do when you want to watch older movies that are... I dunno, middlebrow? Like old musicals, comedies, etc.?

You could borrow someone's WatchTCM password.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Could you elucidate? Looking for more quality indie fare, i.e. in the mold of Short Term 12 or Blue Ruin.

Short Term 12
We are the Best!
The Kids Are Alright
Ida

Blue Ruin
Old Joy
Bad Turn Worse
Night Moves (Amazon Prime)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Roberta Williams was pure evil.

The fact that strategy guides/hintbooks are still published in physical print and somehow sold boggles my mind, given that you can find insanely detailed walkthroughs for every game ever with a 2 second google search. I guess frustrated 8 year olds' parents keep them in business? I thought the new generation of children were born tech-savvy so it still doesn't make sense to me.

A healthy cross-section of dorks are completists

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Why does netflix put "a netflix original" next to a bunch of BBC shows on US Netflix?

They have exclusive U.S. rights.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

When is Daredevil going up?

Midnight pacific time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The first couple episodes remind me of a Whedon joint with better camerawork and a bigger stunt budget