Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Loki_XLII posted:

So what exactly is the deal with Hola? I got it to keep up with Better Call Saul even though I have lovely cable that doesn't even give me AMC, and I see that Netflix is going to crack down on it. Any idea what this means? Is there any danger in losing my Netflix account if I keep using it?

As far as I've heard, they're only cracking down on non-US users watching stuff on US Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

NESguerilla posted:

Can you try to sell me on this? I keep hearing it's good but the concept sounds really bad and I can't bring myself to watch it.

Opening storyline is a mom and son covering up a murder together. It's often darkly funny and Vera Farmiga is great.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I would absolutely never rent God's Not Dead, but I might have to watch it on Netflix, preferably with my horrible atheist friends.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

probably to prison. this is the last season right?

I don't think it's been announced as the last season, and people are just guessing based on the UK series being three seasons.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'll second that. Peep Show is fuckin' funny.

Justed started watching Misfits and, heh, I wonder how many Game of Thrones people I'm gonna see. Already Ramsey, Pyp and Mama Stark.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 3, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The 90s were chock full of shows about conspiracies and UFO sightings. That stuff was big back then.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I didn't like it at all, but I'm personally not a fan of the "alternate universes" premise, so the characters and such have to be really great in order for me to get into it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

Alternate Opinion: I haven't seen Automata but those other two were really boring!

As for Automata, I thought the first half was entertaining enough, and the latter half was really boring.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

gmq posted:

I think the main problem with this season is that Frank didn't have a chance to manipulate and cajole people into doing his bidding. Without that the series loses a lot of its charm.

Yeah, the plot just didn't go anywhere fun and crazy this season like previous seasons did. So though I much enjoyed previous seasons, I thought Season 3 was boring.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

red19fire posted:

I thought it had potential for Frank to meet his match in the Russian president, and Congress to collectively realize they'd been played hard, but none of that really went anywhere, at least until I gave up around episode 5. Stamper is great as always, but I just couldn't weather the rest of the show.

Not-Putin was the best part of the season, but that storyline ended with such a whimper.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

I see people mentioning Bloodline and I'm thinking THIS is back on Netflix and getting a lot of positive remarks from people?!

No, it's a new series.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

That was actually a very well-known actress (though I didn't really like her here either.)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's probably just not your jam.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

david_a posted:

Yeah, good stuff. Finished ep 3, Teddy is becoming really unsympathetic and I sorta hope Tawney gets a divorce because their relationship seems so incredibly awkward. I kinda wish I re-watched S1 because I can't remember the specifics of what happened between Tawney and Daniel. I don't remember anything too damning but she's acting like it was a big deal. Or maybe it was, comparatively, because of how stilted her relationship is with Teddy.

It was kinda weirdin' me out how isolated Tawney was during Season 2. Like how nearly all of her scenes were with Teddy. Though I'm sure that was the point. She didn't really do anything in Season 1, she just kinda developed feelings for Daniel and that's a big deal for someone as conservative as Tawney.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I remember liking Three Kings a lot, but I just realized that I had totally forgotten that it was between the wars.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

People used to ask this question about shows on cable all the time. "Original" has always meant "owns the distribution rights for the first local run".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Wilhelm Scream posted:

The ads on Hulu really aren't that bad,

Except for the Doctor Who guy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Seemed like another bad pilot to me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

It was a pilot for a show that never took off. I had a feeling about that towards the end when it was clear none of the main characters was going to die. Serial sci-fi TV shows are huge on that "no main character is ever actually in mortal danger" thing, so it was a dead giveaway.

Someone really wanted to remake Sliders, but didn't want to do a remote control again. Too obvious. So how about a big ol' building instead?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Is Between the first Netflix original that's being dribbled out weekly instead of a full season binge release?

It's because it's airing on normal TV in Canada.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Better Call Saul aired on TV in the US.

There's a pattern.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

So why did they make a new website instead of you getting a GO log-in?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ascension was aggressively boring, couldn't get through it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

I quit after the first episode. I'm guessing there's some kind of twist about their mission not being what they think--like Earth was actually destroyed by nuclear war and they're going back in time to fix it or something dumb, but I wasn't even motivated enough to google it. It's like somebody at the network saw that mad men was popular and demanded a sci-fi mad men and then never checked up on it after that.

Yeah, that was my exact thought. All they wanted was Mad Men in Space, so they slapped together a crappy story around it and dropped Tricia Helfer into it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Did you watch The Road and feel like you didn't get quite enough horribly depressing apocalypse stuff and could use a little more? Then watch These Final Hours on Netflix.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 15, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

fliptophead posted:

I don't know if this one has been mentioned before but I just watched Time Lapse and it was surprisingly OK. Wasnt expecting anything going in. The summary is three friends stumble across a device which takes photos 24 hours in the future. They use it for personal gain but then things start to unravel. Check it out if you like messing with time thriller type movies.

Time Lapse made me feel like writers are a little hard up for new ideas for time-fuckery movies, but it was so-so.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Man in the High Castle, ep 2: I can't wait to see how many horrible things happen to Frank in the full series.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

It was also the only good McPoyle episode,
The Gang Gets Invincible is bad?

As far as stinkers go, I have no urge to ever rewatch Frank's Brother.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 10, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If you're really hard up for a cookie-cutter "motley crew of people that don't trust each other live on a spaceship together, fly around and shoot things" show, then watch Dark Matter.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Breaking Bad didn't have good ratings at the start, but the critics liked it. They started climbing after it went up on streaming, I think. And they shot up during Season 5.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

So Bloodline's alright without Danny?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I liked Happy Valley S1. It is very bleak, though, that's true.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I liked the cast, but I thought it was pretty weak. And it's probably the least dark cult in all fiction, so I wouldn't watch it for that.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 22, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I assume there's just a lot more competition for licenses in the US.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Returned: A cancelled single-season remake. I absolutely should've known better.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Stranger Things: Wait, did the teenagers do anything? Their fight with the monster seemed fruitless. Or did they just serve to distract the monster while the adults looked around?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

Lucas incapacitated the demigorgon when he basically rolled a natural 20 on his slingshot attack. After he hit, it was pinned to the classroom chalkboard by Eleven before she says goodbye and kills the fucker. She wasn't strong enough to take it out on her own but after it was slingshotted she could finally overpower it with her psychokinetics. Without their bravery the demigorgon would continue to terrorize the town, and the only scientists who really knew how they might stop it were already dead.

The teenagers. Will's brother and Mike's sister.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

I appreciate the summary. I'm curious what it's about in the sense that, say, Breaking Bad is about the destruction caused by a man selfishly chasing his need for validation and respect, not in the sense that it's about a high school chemistry teacher making meth. Does that make sense?

It's about a man trying to readjust to the world and start his life after losing more than a decade in a world where most people hate him for something he might not have done.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 21, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Marcella: So Marcella just does random poo poo for no reason when she blacks out?

I really liked seven episodes of that show.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Slandible posted:

It was picked up for a second season, so maybe they will go into detail what's wrong. Still enjoyed everything from this season.

Maybe. My issues with the finale were more about execution than not getting all the details. For example, I'm fine with the Jason stuff not being concluded, because that's obviously a hook.