Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Robocop 2014 puts out some great ideas that are alternative to the original but are more relevant today that are absolutely worth exploring but I think it didn't stick the landing. With that being said, I absolutely adore the original so I can't have an unbiased opinion of it. Some of the action stuff not counting the terrible ED209 fights are...serviceable.

I have a grandfather with dementia that is quickly becoming more of a problem and an uncle with Alzheimers, so It's Such A Beautiful Day and Nebraska have been really loving important in my understanding of how they now experience the world. With that being said, I find both films are charming as all hell but they hit so close to home that they can absolutely wreck me for days after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The Babadook was great until they played that stock dinosaur roar. Completely killed the mood for me and took me right out of the film.

Oh my god everything else about the film is great but that goddamn Pterodactyl noise grinds it to a screeching halt.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

GORDON posted:

I am probably slightly older than a certain age, but I get the stereotypes... I have peeps in Seattle and have spent months in San Fran (they hate it when you call it that) and such.

I am sorry but Nobody calls San Francisco "San Fran."

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

GORDON posted:

The second time some hipster douche tried to correct me when I said it, I started saying it on purpose in their presence as often as I could. I still do. like now.

San Fran.

San Fran.

I've never heard anyone call it that before. Did you make it up?

E: yeah, if you want to piss one of us off the go to is usually Frisco.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 20, 2015

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

dongsbot 9000 posted:

"ess eff" if anything but San Fran is a dope nickname because literally no one but Midwestern tourists say that. When San Fransicoers say "no one calls it that", they aren't being defensive; they are being dead serious.

Yeah, SF is the one I hear the most, but like LA most people usually refer to specific areas.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Did people hate Showgirls because it was utterly abhorrent?

Because while that is true, I found it to be really enjoyable because of how over the top and weird it is.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe I was paying more attention than you or have a higher tolerance for this poo poo, but to me the VHS films are all decent at acclimating the viewer to locations because they walk you through the places they'll be running through screaming later on in the first half of the segments. The only ones that don't do this to some degree are the wrap arounds and the ones that take place outside or at more than one location.

The Evans segment does the best job of this, by far, though.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

morestuff posted:

I think someone (Hundu?) recommended Snow on tha Bluff as something along those lines. I saw it was up on Netflix, I'll hit it eventually.

I loving love Snow on tha Bluff. It's absolutely up there with the best found footage.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

WHowever recommended Babadook can gently caress right off.

I can see someone getting really annoyed at the screaming child and internalizing the existential dread a parent would feel for their child in distress. Personally the thing that pissed me off about the film was the goddamn stock Pterodactyl sound at the film's climax, but it's great horror. The imagery is affecting and unique, the acting was phenomenal and emotionally at certain points it made me want to drive out to a cave in the woods, curl up in a ball on the floor, close the entrance with a giant boulder, and stick my fingers in my ears.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

What ruined The Babadook for me was that I wanted it to eat that stupid kid. Holy poo poo that kid was a little poo poo.

Like I said that's an acceptable reason to not enjoy the film, but thematically it's one of the most important aspects of why it works.

E: Watched the first Garfunkel and Oates episode and it's a Garfunkel and Oates version of Flight of the Concords. It's absolutely fine as its, but does it transcend this and become something more at some point?

Also, why is Rob Huebel a puppet? Are there other puppet characters or is this explained at some point? Does this make any sense by the end of Season 1? Is there an Avenue Q thing or something?

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 6, 2015

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

cat doter posted:

it's like flight of the concords in the sense that it's a sitcom with music comedy and music-video-y bits but I'd say it's tonally a bit different and focuses more on what being a female comic (and being a woman in general) is like which i think is enough to distinguish it

Now that I think about it more, you are right. I'll give it a couple more episodes.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I saw that Atari documentary last night and yeah it's kind of good. The Atari stuff was really interesting.

I am liking how between this and Incident at Loch Ness Zak Penn is making himself out to be this whiny "What is this...thing? What does it do? Can you say that in English so normal people can understand? We can't use it in the shot?" Guy.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I just noticed the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers got put up at some point. It's good, if you never seen it you should probably watch it. It's got Donald Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum, and Leonard Nemoy, along with some amazingly creepy parts. Donald Sutherland sleeping in the garden is an absolutely classic scene.

I watched it for October this year and I really liked this one. It's a bit off-kilter and extremely paranoid. It's in '70's San Francisco and it makes very good use of the loation, and you get the quintessential versions of those three guys.

You also get that iconic ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

When is Daredevil going up?

Friday?

E: It's up.