Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I was completely unaware that Review with Forrest MacNeil was adapted from an Australian series. The US version got pretty drat dark, but the original is, by series end, one of the blackest comedies I've seen in quite a long time.

It's called Review with Myles Barlow, and it's on Hulu. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Emphatic no, but the various individual performances are fun and funny.

Agreed. Chris Evans is unrecognizable and mega creepy, Shannon's great as always, and Ray Liotta is Ray Liotta. It tries super hard to be Goodfellas and fails on just about every count. It's got its pluses, but it was just so drat dull and disappointing. It doesn't seem like you should be able to make a boring movie about Michael Kuklinski, especially with a cast like that, but here we are.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

A robot bites a baby's head off in the ABCs of Death. Everything else is not as good.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Also coming out on the 27th: season 9 of Trailer Park Boys. I hope the new season is as good as the last one, which was a bit of a surprise, if I'm being honest. I wasn't really expecting much, but I thought it was pretty drat good.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

V/H/S 3: We're Goin' Viral?! is up. It's really loving stupid. The skateboarders fighting the Mexican skeletons was weirdly compelling, but everything else was pretty bad, especially the framing device or whatever you call it. We're still doing the spooky ice cream truck thing, huh?

Admittedly, the goon with the magical cape was pretty funny.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The third V/H/S was as bad as the first two probably should have been but somehow weren't.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

gently caress yeah! Empire of The Sun is a brilliant, amazing film. Every dad should show that to their young sons.

Before or after Die Hard?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I finally got around to watching [Rec] 3. That was, uh, an interesting shift in tone from the first two. I didn't dislike it, but I sure wasn't expecting it.

Is the fourth one more in line with the rest of the series, or does that one play like a Dead Rising adaptation, too?

Also, I was pretty jazzed to see King of Kong was on Hulu! I watched that and Chasing Ghosts this afternoon. I find that whole cast of characters so fascinating, and never having seen Chasing Ghosts before, I was pleasantly surprised as to how nice a companion piece it was to King of Kong.

Seriously good watching if you haven't gotten around to them yet. Billy Mitchell is a fantastic low-stakes comic book villain, and his gang of henchmen are priceless.

Edit: On the topic of video game docs, Game Over was a boring piece of poo poo. The history of Atari stuff was sorta neat, but the rest was so goddamn grating. I don't have a very predominant bully instinct, but I wanted to kick the snot out of that annoying weirdo with the Delorean.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 20, 2015

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

"If you can't figure out what my initials are, you're not paying close enough attention."

"T.I.E.?"

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

That Jen Kirkman special is kind of rough.

Kirkman's good as a personality, and I've always thought she was fantastic in any kind of interview I've ever heard or seen her in. I am not a fan of her stand up, though. I'd say the same for Artie Lange and Bob Goldthwait. Especially Bobcat. His Netflix special was pretty okay, but I've heard him tell the same stories elsewhere to much better effect. Plus, lots of bonus Jay Mohr bashing.

edit: speaking of streaming content, her segment on Drunk History was pretty good, and I always crack up at how she sobs about Jim Morrison's place in history at the end. I've practically been there a few times myself.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 31, 2015

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Hubbardologist posted:

the Wachowskis

Oh, no...

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Daedra posted:

Thanks to you that said to watch Peep Show. Is there anything else out there like Trailer Park Boys / Peep Show?

If you've got Hulu, I'd suggest giving Review with Myles Barlow a shot. It starts off very silly, but it gets pretty loving dark in a hurry. I enjoyed, though, fair warning, I was on pain meds when I watched it.

It got remade in America to Review with Forrest MacNeil, which is not quite as good, but it stars Andy Daly, so somehow it's even better.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Pander posted:

Anyone seen Dragons: Race to the Edge yet? I love the how to train your dragon movies (yes I'm a child shut up), didn't really watch the riders of berk series (tried watching before I watched either movie, wasn't much intrigued), was wondering if anyone who liked the movies had an opinion.

I watched a few episodes with my kid this morning (no judgment), and it's nothing special. I think Jay Baruchel is the only holdover from the cast, and there are a few spectacularly bad Scottish accents in there. I think Fisto or whatever Hiccup's dad's name is still alive for some reason. I don't know, it was early.

For the record, we enjoyed Rider's of Berk just fine, ie it didn't annoy me when it was on. They seemed to maintain the spirit of the movie decently enough for a TV spinoff.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

In the Line of Fire (1993)

I really like this movie because of the Malkovichiness

It's my favorite Malkovich performance. He plays a pretty cookie cutter villain, but he's so completely unhinged and intense that he elevates the character and the movie itself fantastically. Sort of like what Jeremy Irons did for Die Hard with a Vengeance.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Its a pretty scary performance, I was 9 when it came out and Malkovich's character scared the crap out of me.

That scene where he's taunting Frank on the phone is fantastic, and when he screams about "showing me some goddamn respect" and slams the receiver down is goose bump material. He sells it like a champ, and it makes you wish he actually gave a poo poo about acting.

I think the movie really undercut his character by giving him MOTIVE!, because I thought he played better as a random obsessive nobody. Adding pathos and trying to justify his assassination plot with some halfassed burn notice claptrap was completely unnecessary. Again, like Irons in Die Hard with a Vengeance. Making Simon Hans's brother was stupid and pointless.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I think Cage mostly sucks and is bad and stupid, but I would put Leaving Las Vegas firmly in the "must watch" category. He's got a handful of truly good performances IMO, and I'd say it qualifies as his best.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Don't know where you're getting that from. They stream about 4.5 - 6 minutes of ads per 21 minutes of television.

I just went through all of Fargo on Hulu and I think there were 6 30 second ad breaks every episode. But something like Brooklyn 99 can get a little ridiculous. Maybe they double up on stuff that runs currently? Never had that issue with Comedy Central stuff, either.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Seriously, it's really no more scary than an episode of Goosebumps. I loved the movie, had a great time watching, plan on watching it again soon. But it isn't even a little scary.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

precision posted:

You'll have to pay $4 or $5 to watch it but the new Bobcat Goldthwaite movie Call Me Lucky is absolutely loving phenomenal and I have no clue how I've never heard of Crimmins before now.

e: it's on Amazon

I'm so pissed that I have to go to a stupid wedding for someone I don't even know this weekend instead of going to a screening and q&a, like, two blocks from my house for Call Me Lucky on Saturday. Bobcat did one for God Bless America a few years ago, and he was awesome. Not a great movie, but he was showing it to a hometown crowd and everyone was way into it.

And yeah, very good movie. I'm 50/50 on Bobcat's stuff, but Call Me Lucky is well worth five bucks.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The only Edgar Wright film I project that didn't blow me away was World's End, and that was out of disappointment of it merely being good. I feel like he set up an impossible task of satisfactorily wrapping up a three film series where the first two were just so damned great.

I'll qualify Scott Pilgrim inasmuch as I was expecting to hate it and had a great time. I almost don't want to watch it a second time.

e: I watched Spaced again recently, and I guess I don't think it's aged very well. Still a good time, though, and head and shoulders over any slacker comedy of that era.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 18, 2015

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Who, Gorilla Grodd? Gorilla Grodd is awesome.

There are some questionable fx on the Flash, but I'll give them credit, I was expecting the CGI gorilla to look waaaay worse.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Glamorama26 posted:

You have taken the fun out of a butt based chat. I don't even know anymore.

Watch your mouth, pal.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Call Me Lucky is a good movie.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

precision posted:

Oh poo poo, what happens? I've only watched the first episode and it wasn't bad at all I thought...

I watched the first three episodes before work the other day, and I thought they were painfully unfunny. I watched up through episode eight, and it definitely picks up quite a bit, but this season is... bizarre. It's a bizarre season of Trailer Park Boys.

The stuff that doesn't land, like J-Roc's fake Mexican accent, and anything involving Barb's lesbian gang, is flat out excruciating, though.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

david_a posted:

It’s incredibly hard to give up on a show when you’re invested in it, though.

I finally stopped watching Heroes three or four episodes from the series finale. I never went back to see how it ended, either. I am weirdly proud of that.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

Just finished Evil Genius, which is a really good murder-mystery documentary. Up next is The Keepers since it was recommended on here awhile ago.

Evil Genius was great, but the smoking gun as to whether Brian Wells was in on the heist or not was unconvincing and disappointing. It was really lame as far as dun-dun-DUNNNNN moments go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I first watched Full Metal Jacket in a tenth grade film history class and that scene where Pyle blows his brains out in that bathroom still ranks among my top five movie moments almost a decade later. If you've never seen Full Metal Jacket you need to drop whatever you're doing and watch it right now. It's your patriotic duty.

It's an amazing movie followed immediately by a pretty good movie.