Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is The Act of Killing Director's Cut worth the extra 37 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
30 for 30: Broke is a great one for understanding how all those big money athletes end up, well, broke. I also liked The Real Rocky and Muhammad and Larry for some boxing triumphs/tragedy. No Mas was merely OK; as a character study it was interesting, but Duran's continued delusions made the ending a bit unsatisfying.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is the Netflix-Cartoon Network deal over? Looks like all their stuff is leaving at the end of March, including stuff they don't even have yet like Regular Show S3 & 4 (?).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Didn't they saw off the legs of the RoboCop suit to make it fit the new actor in the third one? Or was that for the somehow even worse TV movies?

(My "favorite" part of Robo 3 is Nancy Allen's performance. If you want a textbook example of phoning it in I don't think you can do any better. I think she chews bubblegum during 100% of her scenes)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
RoboCop 2 chat:
This was a movie I loved in high school but when I watched it several years later it really, really doesn't hold up. It's sorta similar to Predator 2 in that they ramp up the gore and violence but miss the core of what made the first one a hit. I suppose there are worse things to watch once; there are some action scenes that are OK and the humor occasionally works. It is a fine example of that 80s action excess that isn't really around anymore.

Someone mentioned Frank Miller's involvement and I wanted to expand on that a bit. Miller wrote the original script for RoboCop 2 (he's actually in the movie too as a scientist). However, the studio wisely thought it was unfilmable and yanked a lot of stuff out of it. I've heard that when Irvin Kershner (the director of Empire Strikes Back) was brought on to save the film he edited it even more, sometimes even doing daily rewrites. I don't know if he was going to retire anyway, but RoboCop 2 ended up being the last movie he directed.

For years afterwards Miller claimed that they had ruined his original script and the movie would have been much better with his original vision. Well, someone inadvertently called his bluff and adapted the original script into a comic book which was even worse than the movie. In retrospect it actually improves the standing of the second movie, because if that dreck was the starting point it's amazing the end result wasn't totally unwatchable.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I liked The Adventures of Baron Munchausen more than I expected to. There aren't that many movies that are so unafraid of being outright fantasies. Parts of it get really drat weird, too. I definitely liked it better than Time Bandits. I think it gets taken off on Sunday so ya better hurry.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Daedra posted:

I've seen Peaky Blinders, Arrested Development, Louie, Black Mirror, X-Files, Dexter, Freaks and Geeks, and Twin Peaks. I didn't like Dexter and hated Twin Peaks. The rest were all good.

The Fall
Top of the Lake
Breaking Bad

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I'm seriously considering trying HBO Now for a few months. How often do they alter their movie lineup?

Netflix keeps your account around after you cancel so I wouldn't lose my queue, right?

I'm never in danger of running out of stuff on Netflix but it rarely feels like stuff I absolutely want to watch. Maybe being away for a few update cycles will make it feel fresher.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Junkie Disease posted:

Outside of HBO series (which is a ton), a lot less movies. You will run out of movies you want to watch if you use it like you might use Netflix. But if you like their shows you have a ton to see.
I'm assuming that it's the same content as HBO Go so I looked through the website. Percentage-wise it might be the same amount as stuff I want to watch on Netflix, but that only works out to like 5-6 movies total since the selection is so much smaller. On the other hand, if they cycle through them fairly fast it might not be that bad. A lot of those movies I can't imagine Netflix ever getting, either.

But yeah, it's obviously mainly worth it for the TV shows.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Donnie Brasco - pretty good mob drama, but a big step below Godfather/Goodfellas tier. Pacino steals the show as a low ranking mob hitman. He looks like a downtrodden used car salesman most of the time and the movie does a good job of subtly showing (and not telling) why he's never moved up the ladder much. I'm pretty sure Michael Madsen is naturally the most sleazy, vaguely-dangerous-looking dude alive. There's a couple of moments that felt a bit hammy for what they were going for (Lefty telling his woes and the Sad Music cutting in was the most noticeable) but I thought the weakest part was actually Johnny Depp. His accent was pretty bad and I just never bought him in the role. Most of the time he felt a bit detached and he permanently played the character so stiff as if he was totally new to this undercover thing and was afraid to open his mouth at all without being spotted.

The Bicycle Thief - this movie has haunted my queue since I first got Netflix but I finally vanquished it. Pretty brutal :smith:. Equally brutal was the subtitles; it felt like they gave up when there was more than one character talking and just didn't print anything. I feel like I'm probably missing out a bit.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Is that Steven Soderbergh biopic on Che Guevara any good?
Yes! Part 1 is more of a guerrilla war movie with some top-tier urban fighting scenes. It's all bright and optimistic about the future. Part 2 is a lot murkier and colder, both literally in the color pallet and the mess that was the supposed South American revolution. As entertainment they're good, but I would say for the combined length it really doesn't do a whole lot to explore his inner thoughts. I don't know a great deal about the guy but I think The Motorcycle Diaries does a better job of showing where he was coming from.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

forever whatever posted:

Any recommendations on films that have protaganists/antiheroes that are complete misanthropes a la DD Lewis's character in There Will Be Blood? I always seem to identify with characters like that in film and in fiction. Thanks.
Comedy answer: I'm sure those Atlas Shrugged movies will have you well covered.

As for non-terrible stuff that's streaming, Groundhog Day comes to mind (other than the ending). I would say the latter parts of Breaking Bad also has a few characters like that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Leper Residue posted:

Danger 5 is some of the worse try hard comedy I've seen since Tim and Eric. It felt like a bad sketch that just kept going and going. Now netflix is going to keep recommending stuff cause I watched it but I at least know to avoid those things so I guess some good came out of it.

I think they have a way to remove things from your watched list now.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dr Monkeysee posted:

The campfire scene where they ask Shreck what his favorite part of Dracula was is straight-up genius. The rest of the movie is weird and interesting but ultimately just kinda ok.
The director is kind of an oddball. He's only directed two other movies: Suspect Zero, which was apparently doomed from Hollywood shenanigans, and his first film Begotten, which is, uh, unique. I've seen Shadow but it didn't leave much of an impression on me; I think "weird and interesting but ultimately just kinda ok" is perfect.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Apollo 18 is a stupid, lazy waste of 86 minutes. The scenario is so idiotic they should have embraced how stupid it was and ran with it but instead chickened out and gave us that unsatisfying mess. If the ending third had turned into Evil-Dead-2-on-the-moon I would have forgiven it. Mining axes as weapons! Space zombies! Strap a rocket to the moon buggy! Zero-g combat with a giant rock monster! Just do something more interesting than a limp collection of insipid jump scares.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
So Trailer Park Boys S9 was released last week. Overall I would say it wasn't as good as S8 (which was better than it had any right to be), but it picked up at the end. It was mainly the new character that I just didn't find very funny. The Saskatche-quach bit was probably my favorite part, although it was pretty obvious to me early on that it was gonna be Sam Losco. Still, I'm a total sucker for that character because he's the greasiest motherfucker I've ever seen. George Green was also just kind of... there, and didn't really do anything.

Wikipedia claims seasons 10/11 will be made at some point too. I hope they keep Willy Goat if they make them!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

whatshesaid posted:

Re: Rectify. Christ. I'm on episode 2 of season 2, and there's seriously something in my eye. :sigh:
Recommended.
Yeah, good stuff. Finished ep 3, Teddy is becoming really unsympathetic and I sorta hope Tawney gets a divorce because their relationship seems so incredibly awkward. I kinda wish I re-watched S1 because I can't remember the specifics of what happened between Tawney and Daniel. I don't remember anything too damning but she's acting like it was a big deal. Or maybe it was, comparatively, because of how stilted her relationship is with Teddy.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I thought you said Dreamscape and was hoping to see how well it held up.
That's been on there before. I didn't think much of it; sort of a mediocre mix of Altered States and Inception. I never saw it before so maybe some nostalgia would have helped.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

GORDON posted:

I quit in the middle of the second episode. Couldn't stand any of them.

The first season is a bit of an outlier and I almost gave up on it too. It's too grounded in reality so it comes off as making fun of poor uneducated people for being poor and uneducated. The second season is vastly superior and further seasons quickly lose any similarity to reality.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is there no more UFC on Netflix? where could I find some?
They had UFC events on Netflix? News to me. The chances of streaming their shows outside of their own service going forward is nil.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is The Winds of War worth watching? I'm intimidated by the first "episode" being 148 minutes. I have vague memories of seeing parts of the sequel mini-series War and Remembrance (which is not on Netflix) but it's been too long for me to remember if it would have held up.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
So The Babadook wasn't entirely what I was expecting, but more importantly, how did I know exactly what the "pterodactyl" stock sound effect was?! Is it actually the same sound effect reused in 800 billion movies or is there some simple audio technique that happens to create it?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That sound effect is in Doom for gently caress's sake. It's probably on every royalty free sound effects CD.
:goonsay: I've been playing that game for literally decades and it is definitely not in there (it may be in Duke Nukem 3D). I'm sure it's in every sound effects library by now, but it had to have come from somewhere. I thought maybe it was Rodan, but that's not quite it from the clips I've found.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
One of the imp wakeup sounds is similar (15 seconds in if the url doesn't work), but not the same. The one I'm thinking of is higher pitched and more... dinosaury.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don't think it hurt the film much, but it seemed a bit incongruous. I probably should have brought up the origins of the sound in a different thread.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Has anybody else signed up for HBO Now? I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel but the stream was a bit weird; oftentimes it looked like the frame rate was below 20. The odd thing was that the picture quality never degraded. I wonder if it was just badly encoded, but that seems somewhat unlikely.

I have to say that the Apple TV app for it is fairly lackluster compared to Netflix. You can't add TV series to your watchlist and it doesn't even seem to track which episodes you've seen. I also realized that I miss the Netflix ratings. They seem to do a good job of predicting how I would rate a movie (and yet the actual recommendations are garbage :confused:). Browsing though movies I've never heard of without that clue feels a bit limited.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I've seen mainly the big prestige series (Wire, Sopranos, Carnivale, Rome, Generation Kill, Newsroom). I'll probably take a look at Deadwood since I know that is well-loved. Treme I haven't seen but I've heard more mixed things about that. I'd be especially interested to hear if any of the HBO Latino series are actually any good
I'm halfway through True Detective and it's amazing so far. Only eight episodes too.

If you're into WWII stuff, Band of Brothers and The Pacific are only ten episodes each.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Viginti posted:

While we're on the topic of Netflix technical issues, I watched Undertow on there for the first time a few days ago and it was really, really weird quality. There were sections - the first and third quarter of the film - that suffered from strong motion blur (It wasn't just poor picture quality or buffering, it was specific to objects in motion and replicated exactly when you rewound) and others that had this strange lined quality. I'm pretty sure that Gordon Green must have just shot the thing on an early digital camera and that hasn't translated well to the compression, but I wonder why it got put up like that, or if it was just my machine and i'm being an idiot.

(I am fully aware that the time-stops are intentional)
Occasionally the video itself is just bad. Dredd had weird problems with stuff being doubled, like they didn't do the 24 -> 30 FPS conversion correctly. Sounds similar to what you're describing.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

precision posted:

When I Googled "watch Seinfeld online", the link for watching it legally on Crackle (where it's been for years) was just above the news story saying "Now that Hulu had bought Seinfeld you can finally watch it online". Nice research team guys, nice
To be fair, something on Crackle might as well not exist because it's pretty much the worst streaming experience possible.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

precision posted:

Every now and then Crackle has a movie that's really good and not available elsewhere though. The PS4 app is totally fine so I check it every now and then and get surprised, like recently they had The Devil and Daniel Johnston which is a really amazing documentary. If it's still on Crackle everyone should watch it
Do they still shove commercials in algorithmically chosen (IE random) locations?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah, they announced a while back that all the CN stuff is now on Hulu, which is probably why the Netflix content was a bit neglected before they finally pulled it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

drunken officeparty posted:

Donnie Brasco is a pretty good movie.
Pacino was excellent but I didn't think much of Depp. He always looked vaguely awkward like he was constantly in fear of being uncovered at any moment - I thought it was hard to believe the others would actually trust someone that always has his guard up like that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jenny Angel posted:

Could anyone please recommend any really good TV shows where someone plays Sonic the Hedgehog to the sounds of mournful strings? Hoping there's something like this on Netflix.
I don't even know WTF this post is but I think Rectify is the closest you will get.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

wa27 posted:

I find Netflix's predicted ratings to be scarily accurate.
The recommended ratings are usually incredibly close for me but the recommended content is complete trash. The eternal mystery.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I decided to cancel HBO Now, at least for the time being. There are two main problems with it:

- The apps are terrible. You cannot add a TV series to your watch list, only individual episodes. This is annoying but doable with a miniseries (make sure to start from the end because the watch list is a stack!) but going through a full show is offensive. Even worse, it does not remember which episodes you've already watched. It is extremely annoying to have to manually browse to the next episode you want to watch every time you turn it on.
- The real killer is that the network capacity just isn't there. All the fancy content is useless if you can't actually watch it. I would say I'm happy with Netflix speed 90% of the time; HBO Now is more like 40%. I can't remember watching a single thing that didn't noticeably drop frames from time to time (we're talking less than 20 fps). It is tolerable on weeknights but weekends are a disaster. I was trying to finish S1 of The Wire this weekend and I got booted out of the stream at least 30 times. After midnight on Saturday, early Sunday afternoon, it doesn't matter.

I'll probably try it again at some future point, but right now paying nearly twice as much as Netflix for a primitive service that barely works just isn't worth it.

I'm afraid that this problem will continue in the future as more and more content becomes available to cord-cutters. It's unrealistic to think that every single channel/media group will be competent enough to create a useable streaming service.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I'm wondering now if the stutter frames I see on HBO NOW are a server side network thing instead of compression issue.

I definitely notice it in their series stuff and my internet is very fast.
I kinda wondered if it was an encoding thing since it seemed to stutter suspiciously similarly the same if you rewind and play a scene again. Either way, they have a lot of problems to work through before it's worth it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NESguerilla posted:

Is HBO now on different servers from Go or something? Been using it for years and it seems fine. I mean, the interface sucks but it streams fine.
Yes, I believe they are 100% separate services. HBO Now was built using the MLB.tv streaming platform whereas Go is a homegrown solution as far as I know. I can only assume they realized that Go wouldn't scale up properly so they decided an entirely different system was needed. I'm sure both systems are fine for people lucky enough to live close to a content server but I was under the impression that Go was even jankier than Now.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

LloydDobler posted:

Makes you wonder why they wouldn't just outsource the whole goddamn thing through Netflix or Amazon. Zero infrastructure to build, solid network already in place, solid interface already in place. Just pass the data files over. Hell I'd pay an additional $10 or whatever to Netflix for the "HBO access pack" or whatever they wanted to call it.
Yeah I thought of that exact same thing too. Netflix/Amazon probably don't want multiple tiers though and would prefer to include fancy content in the base offering and jack up the rates. Bundling all over again, in other words...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
So after HBO Now was unusable last weekend and I decided not to renew, it's been flawless this week :psyduck:

I've mostly been watching boxing since I don't want to get sucked into a series I can't finish before my subscription runs out but (amazingly) I didn't have any hiccups watching Citizenfour tonight. Really good documentary on Snowden, by the way. I had no idea his girlfriend moved to Russia to be with him. It leaves you feeling a little optimistic by the end, but that John Oliver bit about Snowden a few weeks ago where nobody even remembers who he was kinda measured my reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

pahuyuth posted:

Ohhhhh poo poo I had no idea it was coming back soon. Hell yes, watch Rectify.
It starts on SundanceTV next week, so we're a bare minimum of 6 weeks from it hitting Netflix. I'm guessing it will actually be a few months before we see it.