Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Adding to the Nightcrawler white noise here, but whoo boy was it a great film all around. Lou is a TRUE Randian superman.
(This is from a few pages back but I just watched the movie)
At first I thought Lou was autistic, then maybe a psychopath, but around halfway with that grotesque dinner conversation I realized that he's really a true-blue Objectivist. I think a diehard Randian would consider this an aspirational film, just like how certain people somehow think Scarface is a character to look up to. The self above all! Altruism is for parasites. Rick had to be eliminated for the higher good; it was the only rational option. Chilling how by the end Nina was worn down and seduced by it - she wasn't exactly a moral champion when we first meet her, but by the end... "I think Lou is inspiring all of us to reach a little higher" - delivered as poor Mr Ethics can only stare in wide-eyed despair at the cynical discarding of substance. Was this a metaphor for how news media has fallen in love with pandering to the basest scare stories in a self-serving quest for the all powerful dollar, truth or community concerns be damned? I think so.
I can sympathize with the earlier concern someone had of overselling the film with too much hype though; I thought it was very good and Gyllenhaal was exceptional, but I'm not sure it was more than that. I'm not in a hurry to re watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

neonnoodle posted:

An Honest Liar is the documentary about The Amazing Randi. I will be watching that. :allears:
Ooo, I overlooked that! It was sold out at the only local showing at a film festival. I hoped it would show up on Netflix :)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Does anybody have any info on why Jodorowsky's Dune isn't available for streaming anywhere? You can buy it from various services for a little under $15 but there's no rentals at all. It seems like the kind of movie destined to show up on Netflix at some point.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Warriors must have popped back on recently because the cover stood out in my list. Still a strange movie. I wish gangs in real life wore absurd matching costumes (Baseball Furies :allears:). I had seen the Director's Cut with the overt comic book stuff when I watched it the first time but I'm not sure which version I liked better. It's still a better comic book movie than most actual comic book movies, though. I love how the little snippets at the beginning when the chief is filling them in on the meeting tell you all you need to know about the characters.

Also I finished Bloodline recently (Netflix original series). I thought it was... OK. It felt too padded with melodramatic soapy stuff; 8 episodes would have been better than 13. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but it felt like they didn't set out to make the best show they could, they tried to optimize for one where you really wanted to watch the next episode. The way they stretched out reveals over multiple episodes got a bit annoying. Kevin's character was also pretty annoying and pointless. I did feel bad when Danny was finally murdered though. :( The hooks they put in for the second season seemed like obvious gimmicks and I'll probably skip that one.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Loki_XLII posted:

Does this version of The Warriors have the comic book transitions or not?
No.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

X-Ray Pecs posted:

This is incredibly good news. The Warriors is a great, atmospheric film, and the comic book stuff takes a dump on the mood of the film.
Eh, it's already uses so many comic book-ish shots that I don't really see the problem. Like how they awkwardly stand perfectly still when talking to each other, or the shots of the underlings reporting to the sunglasses dude where it's just their heads at a right angle, or showing just the mouth of the DJ... I saw the "Ultimate Director's Cut" (that's seriously the name) several years ago so my memory of the changes isn't that fresh but I don't remember it being a big deal.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Have you seen the version with the panel transitions?
Uh, yes? But it's been several years like my post says.

"Ultimate Director's Cut" = comic book transitions

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
So I tried watching Longmire but I bailed after 25 minutes or so (when he gets punched by the Indian). Is this series worth trying again at some point?

I started watching Broadchurch instead and it seems far more engaging after one episode.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

precision posted:

It's not exactly bad, but it's telling that the demo it's super popular with is 30+ year old Southerners. Like when my girlfriend worked at Wal-Mart she said so many rednecks bought the DVDs of that show it was insane.

Basically it's like a lower rent Justified I guess, or a high rent Walker Texas Ranger.
Hmm, yeah, that was kinda the feeling I got. I figured it would get a bit better than the pilot but it didn't seem like the type of show that would really become amazing. I'll keep it in mind if I somehow run out of better shows to watch :)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Heavenly Creatures was not quite what I had expected, but I still think it was as good as I had been led to believe. I had no idea it was a 50s period piece, nor that it was based on a true story (and both Pauline and Juliet are still alive!). Somehow I thought it would have been a bit more grounded, but of course it's Peter Jackson, so the elaborate fantasy sequences shouldn't have been that much of a surprise. They fit though, and the movie does a good job showing the two girls obsessions bleed into their reality without being too hokey (Pauline constantly calling Juliet Deborah was honestly creepy). I thought the murder was suitably horrible without being gratuitous.

Has Peter Jackson ever made a movie that didn't have a ton of effects shots?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

precision posted:

Dust Devil is actually very, very good. It stars the incredibly underrated Robert John Burke (Robocop 2, many Hal Hartley movies)
This threw me for a loop because I couldn't place him from pictures. He is not in Robocop 2, he is Robo in the atrocious Robocop 3. I don't know how that is supposed to be a good thing.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Do I have to watch the 1996 Island of Dr Moreau to enjoy Lost Soul? I first saw Best Worst Movie before Troll 2 (back-to-back at a film festival) and it was still very enjoyable.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Don't the fighters also dip down slightly after launching from the deck?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Lost Soul was pretty cool and, like everyone said, I don't think you need to have seen The Island of Dr Moreau to enjoy it (I was actually kind of surprised by how little of the movie they showed). Are there other documentaries about terrible movies worth watching (not necessarily on Netflix)? I've seen Best Worst Movie too.

Jesus Camp was a pretty depressing documentary. The film makers claimed that it doesn't take any sides, which is mostly true except for the clips of the radio show interspersed throughout. Since it's 9 years old I'm terrified to look up happened to any of the featured kids (I would not be shocked to learn that Rachel has three kids). I was pleased to learn that the camp got shut down after the documentary aired.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

I don't remember The Hurt Locker being marketed the same way stuff like Lone Survivor and American Sniper were, it was marketed more as just a really tense action/thriller.
I don't remember the official marketing but at the time I definitely got the impression it was supposed to be some harrowing literal depiction of what actually happened over there.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

Those shots looked like that in the theatre too, I assume its a purposeful choice by Mann but I don't know enough about technical stuff to explain it.

The scene where Cruise sees a wolf and that Audioslave song plays is awesome, as is the movie in general.
They shot it on digital in order to have very dark scenes (specifically to see lights out the windows in the skyscraper interior); I assume the cab just wasn't very well lit.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Since I watched Lost Soul a few days ago, I decided to re-watch Richard Stanley's Hardware. It's, uh, colorful? It has a bit of cheap B-movie charm, but ultimately it's really let down by the killer robot, which is just... not that cool. The Mark 13 is pretty slow and lumbering, looks extremely goofy, and doesn't show much personality. The aesthetic of the movie is 90s cyberpunk as hell (it didn't surprise me at all that it's based on a 2000AD short comic) but nothing else really rises to that level.

I started to watch Dust Devil but it's 4:3 and the 86 minute version, which according to Wikipedia has the maximum amount of studio fuckery. Is this version worth watching? Are any of them?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I got around to watching Runaway Train after the effort post and discussion a bit earlier in the thread. Seeing "Story by Akira Kurosawa" was a pleasant surprise since I had forgotten most of the details in the write up. The only other role I can remember Jon Voight from is the super sleazeball creep from Heat, so his force-of-nature performance in this blew me away. The actual "runaway train" aspect never becomes tiring and the movie refreshingly doesn't rely on tropes like a passenger train escaping harm in the nick of time or having the controllers radio instructions on how to stop the train (like what they parodied in Airplane!). The ending was also much more poetic than what you would expect from a low-budget action movie. Recognizing Danny Trejo and what I think was the senile old guy from Twin Peaks was a fun bonus.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The worst soccer related film is Hooligans at War: north vs south, and I mean by a very long way, so if I were you I'd stay away. It makes Green Street look brilliant.
Are you counting United Passions?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Since I had somehow never seen them, I watched Scream 1-3 over the weekend (I prefer creature features over slashers so they were never high on my list). If you somehow don't know what they are about, they are self-aware slasher movies where the characters constantly reference other horror movies and spell out their expected tropes. There's some meta-commentary on violence in media woven in too. The first one (and most of the second) was way more clever and entertaining than I expected. These three (Scream 4 is not on Netflix) go full circle; by the third, the franchise has developed its own tropes and has basically turned into what the first movie was satirizing. I was amused that, even though there's nothing explicitly supernatural about the movies, the masked Ghostface killer is exactly the same throughout the series (even voiced by the same guy) even though there's supposed to be different people under the sheets.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

regulargonzalez posted:

Bloodlines is amazing (except for the last 10 minutes). Slow burn show that was right in my wheelhouse. Those aforementioned final 10 minutes aside, I'd give it an A+
I'd give it a C+ to a B- depending on how charitable I'm feeling. Some stuff really works (poor Danny :() but I felt it was a bit too drawn out. I agree that the last 10 minutes were unbelievably lame and it put off any notion of bothering with the second season for me.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Junkie Disease posted:

Narcos is fun, but man does it have HBO DNA in terms of nudity quota. My biggest issue is some of the writing often is decent to even great at times, but it does take some dips into pure corn. I would recommend it if you have more then a passing interest in Escobar.
I have two episodes left and I'm a bit confused how there will be another season. Does this season not end with Pablo's death?

Does anyone know how historically accurate the series is? The only stuff I know about Pablo is from the ESPN The Two Escobars (which would be a good companion piece if it's still up). The sorta half-documentary approach of the show is a bit odd. It feels like the series is historical exposition with some drama bits interspersed.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Junkie Disease posted:

I'm assuming if Pablo is talking to less than 5 people the entire conversation is assumed and fabricated. The explosivo episode had me laughing at the serious scenes.
From some quick Wikipedia reading it appears that a lot of it is stuff that everyone assumes more or less happened, but the series only presents one of many theories. I guess that makes sense, since if Colombia is only half as corrupt and messy as is depicted in the show, there's probably haven't been a lot of definite investigations. I was surprised that the slutty reporter and even his wife are fictitious characters, although they are probably heavily based on the real versions (they are both still alive so I wonder if they were avoiding any slander charges).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Starks posted:

narcos is very good but very weirdly paced. they basically zoom through like 10 years in the first five episodes and then the time progression gets way slower. Its almost like they planned for a 1 season show and then halfway through they learned they were gonna do another one. I hope they don't try to drag it out longer than one more season.
They only have about a year left to cover. It would be mildly amusing if the time scale keeps decreasing. Season 4 will be the last ten hours of Escobar's life!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I am continually amazed how bad of a job Netflix does in recommending me movies. It thinks I'll give this movie five stars, yet the Recommended section is filled with movies I've already seen and whatever happens to be the highest budget movies they currently have rights to. :argh:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
You can't mention The Twilight Zone without The Outer Limits. For the longest time I thought it was the same show! From what little I've seen of Outer Limits it seems to be a bit more explicitly sci-fi than Zone, which occasionally is more pure fantasy. It's on Hulu I think.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Fido was a relatively entertaining zombie comedy. The hook is that it takes place in an alternate reality 1950s where zombies have been domesticated as servants. I was hoping it would do a lot more exploring around whether zombies are still people (like some of Romero's movies) but it honestly squanders this despite strongly hinting it's going to go there. I didn't pick up on any major messages about slavery/classism or anything either, despite the setting basically begging for it. No colored zombies either, although that's probably due to being a Canadian movie :) The highlight is the nauseating 1950s aesthetic with those aquamarine land-barges, bold colored houses, housewife dresses, etc. It's worth a watch if you're in the mood for a more lighthearted zombie film but it doesn't leave much of a mark.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I love Fido. It explored some interesting angles that would probably come up in a post-Zombie apocalypse world (i.e. nursing homes having to be placed in prisons, children being taught from a young age to shoot).

It's basically an hour and a half episode of Lassie, which seems like a one note joke, but it never got old for me.
Yeah, that part is good, but I wish it did more explorations of that other than just mentioning it. I thought for sure there was going to be some twist about what was really happening in the wild zone outside of these sheltered Utopias but that didn't happen either.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The first episode was clearly the worst. Much too outlandish to be taken seriously, especially when you consider it's a stodgy British politician.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Plus the first episode is actually a documentary.
:thejoke:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nate405 posted:

This is confusing to me because Night of the Living Dead is in the public domain. You can watch it on archive.org, dozens of YouTube channels, etc.
I don't know how that works with the different encodings of the movie though. In college my friend bought a bargain-bin copy while I splurged on a deluxe DVD. The picture quality difference was staggering. I would think the company that spent money restoring a print and carefully encoding it would have some control over it, otherwise everyone would just rip it and resell it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sleeveless posted:

Apparently the acting in Let The Right One In is really bad (made worse by the really bad dubbing that they do fir Eli) but since most American fans don't speak Swedish they don't have any grounds to judge it on.
Where did you get that from? I didn't remember anything standing out. Most Swedish reviews I've seen praised the two kids and especially Lina Leandersson.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I've heard critics like The Good Wife and maybe a few other dramas. I think network sitcoms are the real dinosaurs - who are the monsters that watch these shows!? It's the same awkward unreal laugh track crap we got in the 90s.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I end up watching way more shows streaming than movies simply because of the time commitment. Watching a 1hr episode every day is easy to squeeze in; watching a 2hr movie is a bit more cumbersome and basically prevents you from doing much of anything else.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know if this is new or not, but I just learned that Paramount has a Youtube channel with a decent offering of free movies.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzMVH2jEyEwXPBvyht8xQNw/
Huh, I noticed quite a few movies on there that are also on Netflix. This is probably a good indication of how highly some studios view Netflix...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

speshl guy posted:

Just caught Top of the Lake on Netflix. Huge fan of Elizabeth Moss and was intrigued by the comparisons others drew between it and Twin Peaks as I was a huge fan of the first season of that show... but I don't quite know what to make of this one?

It is an objectively well-shot series, beautiful cinematogrophy, and it flies by with a merely 6-hour runtime, but I just don't know if I liked it or not. I don't think I need time to process it or anything as all the mysteries get tied up [a little too neatly] by the end, and it wears all of its themes and influences on its sleeve.

Did anyone else feel similarly about the show?

One complaint I did have was that for some of the more serious events it seemed like the characters just did not give a gently caress, but all of the instances of rape and misogyny were handled with the care they warranted
I thought it had one twist too many. I was kind of frustrated the main character didn't see that nonsense coming earlier. It also felt like it was shoved in there and got wrapped up very quickly. It's been a while since I watched it so I barely remember any specifics.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Cheesy is just about the last word I'd use to describe Candyman.
Have you forgotten the pimp coat?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anybody use HBO Now on a Apple TV 3? I read somewhere that the app in the newly released ATV 4 finally allows you to add a TV series to your watchlist; I'm curious if this has been back-ported to the "app" on the 3rd gen.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Drive Angry has The Accountant who is a henchman for the Big D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Does anyone who has Amazon Prime/Netflix think that Hulu adds to the content or is it more of the same?

I'm really tempted to get Hulu just because of the Bond collection and Seinfeld. I've looked through the catalog and it seems pretty good so far. The new episodes for tv series also help a lot.
I'm considering switching over to Hulu for a while for the different TV shows (some of which used to be on Netflix...) and the Criterion Collection movies. My Netflix queue has dwindled down to stuff that I'll probably enjoy but I'm not necessarily super excited about watching.