Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

So, the list of titles being added/leaving Netflix in January has been released, and it's ugly.

I'm honesty thinking of cancelling my subscription until they get some decent new stuff. That's a whole lot of quality movies (or at least interesting ones) that are going away in exchange for what... Meet the Parents?

Wish I understood the intricacies of movie licensing for streaming, cause it really seems like Netflix is getting screwed here.

Wow, there's like 3 things i want to see in january. Maybe I'll give it a break for 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

david_a posted:

Can anybody give an overview of The Shield? It got added to Hulu recently. All I know about it is that it's about police, starred some bald guy, it's dark or something, and is supposed to be good. I thought it was set in NY but apparently it's LA. I watched the pilot which was a bit shaky but still entertaining. I wasn't really prepared for how old it looked (the Kid Rock song at the end was a bit embarrassing). How does this show hold up?

The Shield came out right around the same time as The Wire, and was FX's first attempt at a serious drama and serial programming. It has some of the blackest gallows humor and darkest storylines until True Detective in my opinion (on basic cable, by the way), and I think it suffers a bit from 'edgy for edgy's sake' in some of the early episodes. If I recall, Season 4 was when the production staff found out they were definitely getting 7 seasons and that's where the central story starts building momentum like a freight money train :v: into possibly the best finale ever on television. In short,

Regnevelc posted:

It's loving awesome.

Chichevache posted:

In addition to the other great things mentioned already about The Shield, it is heavily inspired by the corruption in the LAPD Rampart division. So when you start going "holy poo poo this is loving unbelievable", keep in mind that significant parts of the show are based in actual scandal. :aaa:

Really, it is one of the best shows I've ever watched and is incredibly satisfying.

The show was originally named Rampart, but they changed it because they figured it was too much of a local LA reference. Almost every incident in that wikipedia article appears as a plot point in The Shield.

Now I have a hankering to rewatch S5-7 for the fourth time.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 18, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Battle Creek is a pretty solid show. I love Dean Winters' curmudgeon act, and its enough of a police procedural but not so bad that you can predict the culprit in the first 5 minutes of the show. And created by Vince Gilligan of Breaking Bad :dance:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 22, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

quote:

One of the best pilot TV episodes we've seen in ages was for Amazon's Mad Dogs, a drama led by Shawn Ryan of The Shield and Terriers fame. It stars Christopher from The Sopranos, Billy Zane, and Steve Zahn as old friends who are vacationing in Belize until things go very dark and very weird. Sit back, click play, and enjoy this thrill ride. The whole season premiered today and the last 15 minutes of the pilot will have you on the edge of your seat.

You had me at Shawn Ryan.

:getin:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

red19fire posted:

You had me at Shawn Ryan.

:getin:

Quoting myself because this pilot episode is loving insane.

magnificent7 posted:

Wait - so Kurt Russell is in two suspenseful 2015 Westerns featuring his awesome mustache? Does that seem odd to anybody else?

The movie looks awesome. But it's not streaming yet, (at least on Netflix). But I can't wait to see it.

Kurt Russell could easily be a time traveller from the 1860s. in Hateful 8 and Bone Tomahawk he's basically the human embodiment of a Single Action Army revolver.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My two least favorite contestants in the entire history of the show are Marcel and Ilan. What a couple of little fuckin' weasels.

Was Marcel the one who served sriacha ice cream to children? I just remember him yelling about NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT REAL COOKING IS NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD or somesuch nonsense.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I'm like halfway through Paris By Night, and if nothing else, this movie is loving cool and the lighting is tremendous. I also recommend Spirals if it's still on netflix. French people are just cool.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Is Nip/Tuck any good though?

I have seen every episode of Nip/Tuck and it's impossible to answer this question. I'd say after season 3 just fast forward past any scene that doesn't involve one or both of the main doctors or Joely Richardson. The 3 main actors have great chemistry, and it's charming even as they're enjoying chewing scenery in later seasons. By contrast, I would also say that the son is IMO one of the worst-written characters on TV, ever.

Maybe the most interesting thing is that the Nurse Linda character is an actual doctor and was one of the plastic surgery consultants on the show. Also the season 3 finale is the highest rated FX episode ever, also the season that won a Golden Globe.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Hobo with a Shotgun Part II is a better description, I think. It's seriously uncanny how hard Turbo Kid bites off HwaS.

It's almost the exact same plot, isn't it? Unlikely Hero finds The Weapon of Justice, fights back against Oppressive Overlord & His Minions to a Retro-Synth soundtrack. Like a TV tropes mad-lib.

It just made me think the producers saw the success of HWAS on kickstarter, and made their own me-too script to hit the same notes, just with lasers.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

That is a really cynical way to view how one film may have influenced the other.

You're right, I realized like halfway through Turbo Kid that it was almost exactly the same as HWAS and started groaning through the rest of it.

harley posted:

Movies like Turbo Kid and Hobo with a Shotgun are trying so hard to be cult films it comes off as insincere and lame.

This is more what I meant. HWAS was more of a homage by someone who gets what makes a good exploitation film, whereas TK was more "me too, but with lasers!"

Also Netflix seems to have uploaded a whole lot of mid-90s straight to video movies, so I'm going to be spending this week like I'm in 8th grade watching the USA channel after school.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Antifreeze Head posted:

Having cast off his nerdy upbringing, Steve Urkel finds himself a quickly rising star in the Chicago police force. His combination of brains and brawn have made him a stand out in the eyes of the commandant. He is selected to head up a new internal affairs cold case task force. At the top of the pile of folders he finds on the desk in his new office is a familiar name: Winslow.

Follow Urkel as he has to investigate his much beloved former neighbour, Carl, who was the lead suspect in the case until some evidence was mysteriously misplaced back in 1993. Is Carl a dirty cop or is it a frame up? Is the disappearance of Waldo Geraldo Faldo related? Will Laura, the object of his boyhood affection, have the key that unlocks the puzzle spread before him?

Find out by watching all six episodes of the mini series Family Matters-er this October on Netflix.

I was thinking more like Carl/Urkel as True Detective season 3. Years after the disappearance of Judy shatters the Winslow family, clues found at the scenes of seemingly unrelated crimes point to her involvement and a coverup that implicates City Hall. Carl can only trust one man, a nerdy former neighbor to help him unravel the case, and redeem himself.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

mysterious frankie posted:

Big twist is that Steve, under the control of a split personality, killed Judy.

URKEL: *standing over the desiccated corpse, a rush of repressed memories assaults Steve as a look of horror spreads across his face* Did... did I do that?

Stefan's big reveal to Carl: I........ Did..... Do...... That...... (draws gun)

ROLL CREDITS

Although I do want to see that Rust Cohle uninterrupted biker infiltration scene with Urkel and Waldo.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Frontspac posted:

Is Blue Mountain State good? The cover and the ad just made me think it was some dumb "tits and sports and parties, brah" thing. Like Entourage for college football people.

It is exactly what you think it is, but it's also pretty funny. The main character guy is a soap opera actor, so it's hilarious to see him on general hospital or whatever chewing up scenery. Also, keep in mind that the goat mascot guy was a producer on the show and basically forced himself into episodes as THE WACKY HEDONIST SEX HAVER CHARACTER.

Seconding that it's more like EBD, but for cable tv.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

Does this season still have boring characters whose stories go nowhere and add nothing? That and the iffy acting made me really really regret watching the first season.

You're thinking of Jessica Jones :v: Daredevil owns.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Daredevil mid-season status: owns.

I was on the fence about Jon Bernthal, but he's pretty decent. But, Castle having a brain injury is such a stupid cop out.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

Joe Bob Briggs devoted like 20 minutes to explaining the theater and its history when he showed Pee Wee's Big Adventure on Monstervision. That man know his smut.

Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZx0ijwAvow

flashing back to trying to adjust the vert hold on my parents' TV. Also Joe Bob Briggs vaguely reminds me of Norm McDonald.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Accident Underwater posted:

I love House but I do think it worked better broken up by weekly tv formatting. Since 90% of the episodes follow a similar template it doesn't work too great trying to binge watch.

My favorite episode is when Dave Matthews played a brain damaged musical savant and they taught him to tie his shoes him by removing half his brain.

I think this is why the later episodes have a lot of style and cinematography changes. Most of the reviews were 'House is great but formulaic procedural medical drama', so Season 3 or 4 incorporated the Survivor style team selection episodes. House was also the first show to use a Canon DSLR to film broadcast TV.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Wow, Bosch is like a who's who of The Wire alumni.

Titus Welliver is amazing, show is great.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Wow Liza Schlesinger is loving terrible. Avoid that one at all costs.

Could have saved a bunch of time by watching the first 10 minutes of her last one.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Jolo posted:

I'd be curious to hear someone list something that was terrible when it came out but is good now. I can think of lots of examples that are the reverse of that but can't think of any that were bad and are now good just by virtue of time.

Wasn't Star Wars panned by critics in pre-screening, then became a blockbuster upon release? The story I've heard is that Ebert was the sole critic who predicted Star Wars' success before it was released, making him the king of film critics; and jealousy of that 'lucky guess' is why Armond White is a contrarian dick on every film he reviews.

regulargonzalez posted:

People really didn't like Willow when it came out and it's decently respected now.

But the best example I can think of is Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. It was savaged at release. Booed at Cannes. There were two more Twin Peaks films that were cancelled due to its harsh critical and box office reception. And now it's viewed as one of the most insightful and honest looks at incestual sexual abuse, as well as an awe-inspiring performance by Sheryl Lee. And some of the more incomprehensible Lynchiness has been decifered over the last couple of decades.

I loved Willow when I was 8 and saw it in theaters, It's on Prime now and still good.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Alterian posted:

Lies. I went looking for it and you can't even pay to rent it.

gently caress. I think I watched it because it was on the Expiring Soon list a few months ago. Apologies, hopefully it’ll be back soon because it’s great.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Has anyone given the prison movie Shot Caller (currently on Prime) a spin? I watched Brawl in Cell Block 99 the other day and this came up on my recommends. Trailer looks interesting.

I liked it well enough. Jon Bernthal is great in everything, and the rest of he cast is solid character actors.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

The trailer seems to give away every major story beat of the movie, is there to it than that?

It's not really treading any new ground in prison gang movies if that's what you mean. But it's a lot of solid work from solid actors, violent and visceral fight scenes, solid cinematography; there's nothing terribly lacking and I don't feel like I wasted my time. Brawl in Cell Block 99 was more arcade-y and felt like an homage to exploitation films, Shot Caller feels more measured.

I would also recommend A Ghost Story on Prime. I would describe it as hitting the same notes as Interstellar in half the time. If I saw this after a brutal breakup, I'd see it 8 more times and cry at each screening. It sets a reasonable goal and achieves it perfectly.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 27, 2018

red19fire
May 26, 2010

precision posted:

Brawl in Cell Block 99 is explicitly a fantasy (a dark one). I mean the prison system is terrible, but the film takes it into literally absurd territory, and it owns.

Right, it's almost like Hobo With A Shotgun in its gleeful violence.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I honestly thought Don Johnson's character didn't make a lot of sense. Is he being sadistic to the protagonist because he's on the take from cartel guy (I don't think I caught anyone's names and if I did, they didn't really stick), or is he just being sadistic to the protagonist because he's a total rear end in a top hat? If the former, what the gently caress is that last shot about? It's not like he stands to gain anything from revenge given that everyone in the cartel who actually matters is a pile of red mush, and they establish that he knows more or less what's going on, so he doesn't have any real reason to believe that the protagonist will cause him any more trouble. Did he basically just blow the guy's head apart for random shits and giggles?

He's a total sadist prison warden to be sure, but in the short term he merks Vaughn as an immediate reaction to being misled about and then seeing his dead guard. And he also has to send a message to the rest of the prisoners that he's in absolute control over life and death in CB99.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Babylon Berlin. I'm not sure what's going on exactly, but the second episode is insane and good.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

:siren: LOGAN LUCKY IS ON AMAZON PRIME EVERYBODY, PLEASE REMAIN CALM :siren:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Man From Nowhere is on Prime. It’s a very solid Korean action thriller, I would argue better than 90% of Hollywood action films.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is youtube red worth the price? I'm moving out of my house with shared netflix/hbo/etc, and I'll only have amazon prime video at my new place.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

Oh yeah? That was my first rated R movie. I secretly watched it on HBO when I was 12, I remember thinking it was incredible. It's been a number of years since I last watched it. Here's to hoping the Tom Cruise fatigue as of late doesn't ruin the movie retroactively.

I will fight anyone with Tom Cruise fatigue syndrome. He’s in trash movies but elevates them through endless charisma.

Also there’s a Batman & Harley Quinn animated film on amazon that’s insane so far. Half an hour in and Harley has boned down with Nightwing/Robin and done karaoke in a henchperson-only bar.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Fart City posted:

Mission Impossible 2 has a sword fight with motorcycles instead of swords, and I still find it tedious as gently caress to watch. The first flick is Good Fun De Palma, but MI:3 owns bones exclusively through PSH’s performance.

I loved the Facemaker double-cross by Ethan at the end of 2, and the motorcycle chase was basically a 5 minute advertisement for Triumph. I think 3 was where I first noticed PSH shredding scenery in movies he knows are trash, and should be what he's best remembered for. He elevates Along Came Polly to a loving master class in not giving a gently caress and out-acting everyone.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

No mention of Arrested Development? Had the show ended at 3 seasons it would have been remembered as a great, funny series that ended a bit prematurely.

But then they decided to do season 4 and 5 seven years after it ended and, well, :stare:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Small Town Crime is good. I am a monster fan of John Hawkes and it’s a really solid neo-noir private eye film.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a fairly straightforward (if endearing) procedural for three seasons and then becomes something much more unique. I don't blame you if waiting three seasons for it to "get good" is unpalatable, but on the other hand, I liked both parts.

I watched season 1, can I just skip to season 4?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Lycus posted:

I mostly know Ben Foster from 3:10 to Yuma, but I can't recall of him lately.

He's a fantastic actor, like Philip Seymour Hoffman, who knows when he's in a garbage movie and transcends the bad movie by chewing up the scenery around everyone else. He has bit parts in the Tom Jane Punisher and 30 Days of Night that are just fantastically stupid and fun.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

married but discreet posted:

What Takashi Miike movie to watch on Prime? There's a lot!

There’s one called Dead Or Alive that’s very Miike or 13 Assassins on Netflix is one of my all time favorites. I think Yakuza Apocalypse might still be on one or the other.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

I watched Baywatch on Amazon over the weekend.

Don't be like me and watch Baywatch on Amazon.

Baywatch is stupid and campy and a great exercise ‘this is going to make a billion dollars based on the Rock’s presence alone so who gives a poo poo’.

Snowman is incredible in that the sweeping landscape shots in the first 5 minutes are the only competent filmmaking in the entire 2 hour run, and the rest is absolute trash.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

precision posted:

Talking of which, Rollerball (the original) is on Hulu and it is still a stone classic. James Caan is so good.

Thief is also on Prime, Caan loving defines cool.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I watched The Rover and Good Time within the last few days and holy poo poo Robert Pattison is a really good actor. Who knew?

I think he's even said that he played along while shooting & promoting the twilight films, knowing they were going to be garbage, just so he could get paid.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

Miami Vice is a pretty superb film with amazing casting and some of the best gunplay in recent cinema. Colin Ferrell's mustache is pretty top notch as well.

It's peak Michael Mann in the best way. It shares a very similar look and feel with Collateral. It's a love letter to dimly lit urban landscapes at dawn/dusk.

I think it was in the DVD extras that Mann specifically set out to emulate the look of camcorders with Collateral and Miami Vice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Alright, I enjoyed Jack Ryan, despite not being able to stand John Krasinski. Definitely worth a watch.

The best part for me was the final episodes reveal that Jack was a loving moron USMC officer who got all his men killed was really visceral for me as a veteran, because my battalion also had a moron officer who also got like 14 people killed by being a loving moron and later wrote himself up for a silver star for the incident. How on earth he got hired by the CIA after that seems like a huge plot hole.