Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Darf posted:

PEAKY BLINDERS

is real fuckin good even though it has one of the worst titles ever. I'm a big Sam Neil fan and I could watch Tom Hardy's character all day...:munch:

If waking up at 7 and drinking whiskey/eating cigarettes is your thing then check this show out

Oh man, seconding this. Peaky Blinders is beautiful, gritty, and just really GOOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Same here. She loves Only God Forgives though, so I think I'm keeping her.

That movie is amazing. One of Ryan Gosling's best roles after Drive.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Mr. Toodles posted:

Nightwatch and Daywatch on Netflix are pretty fun Russian imports. I watched Daywatch first because Netflix kept recommending it to me (don't know why they recommend the sequel of something when the first is also available). Pretty good effects and they play around with the subtitles to reflect what is happening.

Oh man, these movies are great. I'm a big fan of the books, and they stay pretty true to them.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

weekly font posted:

Man With the Iron Fists was acceptable because the theater was only my friend and I and we were super blazed. Even with that, it was still just okay. I imagine if I watched it stone sober I'd find it very bad.

ah yes, the ever popular "lol only good stoned" movie goer.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

That Works posted:

I gave Nightwatch a chance a few years ago and just didn't 'get' it. I'm not averse to some cultural wierdness in foreign films but it was just odd. Especially the video game fight scenes. Can anyone suggest why I should give it another go or am I just better off moving on?

I'd move on, the second is weirder. I enjoyed the video game fight scenes, but...it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I liked both Nightwatch and Daywatch. The second one is played for comedy a lot more.

yeah, I definitely agree! My favorite part is when they switch bodies

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Definitely watch Seven before it leaves. The Grey is a surprisingly good film, and is more existential drama than Taken with wolves, which is how it was marketed. If you like horror, Fright Night is a blast.

Original or Remake? It's my opinion the original is the superior one. :colbert:

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I haven't seen the the remake, so I only pass judgement on the original, which is a lot of fun. Is the remake even on streaming?

It is fun in it's absolute campiness. It was, but I believe it's gone.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

mr.capps posted:

You can't really diss the conspiracy episodes too much because Alex Krycek mostly only appeared in those and he is great.

Krycek is awesome :allears:

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010
Just finished watching Houdini and it's pretty good. Adrian Brody makes a pretty good Houdini and it's a more interesting look at his life. It's worth a look at!

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Just noticed Perfume: The Story of a Murderer got re-added.

Awesome, awesome movie. Watch it.

Seconded this. It's a beautiful movie.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

The Time Dissolver posted:

I remember thinking Pontypool was all in the dialogue and the visuals of the film were mostly extraneous. Phoneposting though so can't check if it's on NF.

Yes to both!!

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Malloreon posted:

Also OSS 117: Lost in Rio, a French parody of Bond/Hitchcock/spy movies starring eventual Best Actor winner Jean Dujardin, expires in 100 minutes.

i can't stress how good the OSS 117 movies are. Jean Dujardin is amazing.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

I've got a problem with pussy.

My favorite birthday I ever had was gathering a group of friends who had never seen Showgirls before, taking a bunch of acid and then watching the pandemonium break out as Showgirls blew all their goddamn minds. :lsd:

that sounds amazing. I'm going to remember that for my next birthday.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

forever whatever posted:

I actually saw Tusk last year in theaters, and just noticed it was on Prime. I get a kick out of hatewatching movies sometimes; personally, if someone genuinely likes it, or Smith films in general, that's cool. I just thought it was hilariously bad.

Actually, lately I've been hatewatching more stuff then I probably should. Isn't The Babadook and A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night supposed to be streaming soon? Because I'm seriously looking forward to both of those. I saw It Follows downtown the other night and I thought it was an awesome horror flick so I'm in the mood for more of that sort of thing. I think I might check out Housebound tonight, the consensus seems to be that it is a good one.

Housebound is awesome. I really enjoyed it.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

cat doter posted:

what's the editing on the fight scenes like? it's not a lot of fast cuts and shaky cam is it? that always ruins fight scenes for me

No, not shaky cams. There are a few cuts, but they're in places where cuts would be warrented. Otherwise it's matt murdock just beating the ever-loving crap out of baddies. :allears:

I was so worried this would turn into the crap that we got years ago. But So far it's great.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

That Works posted:

Hot Fuzz just came up on Netflix.

my favorite movie of all time. Seriously the cornetto tril is some of the best comedy imho. :allears:

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Chichevache posted:

It goes without saying, but Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is still an absolute masterpiece of a film. I turned it on for something to have on in the background and it lured me in all over again.

I never get tired of this movie. It's just so visually pretty and has some great lines.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

House is very bonkers...in a good way.

house is so surreal and I love it.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

precision posted:

It's pretty good and improves at a steady clip throughout the season. I definitely recommend it for fans of period piece stuff. It's no Peaky Blinders quality-wise but it's as good as something like Ripper Street

Peaky Blinders is the poo poo.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I found all of these really entertaining:

The Den
Troll Hunter
Oculus
Devils Pass

Troll hunter is amazing. I've watched it several times and it never gets old.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

elestupendojudio posted:

Has anyone said Daredevil in here? Because I am loving this poo poo. Do recommend heartily.

I binged that poo poo in a day and now i'm crying over the fact the second season won't be until spring 2016

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

precision posted:

Some people also just really, really hate subtitles for legitimate reasons (don't want to have to wear glasses, has trouble reading fast and also paying attention to the action).

That's what annoys me most about people who are like "subtitles for everything, never make a good English dub because gently caress you". That's like saying you can't enjoy The Stranger unless you read it in the original French, when the author himself once said he preferred the English version of his own novel, and it also ignores people who honestly can't deal with subtitles very well.

e: to be clear, in 99.9% of cases I would say to watch everything subtitled because even if you don't understand the language, the actors' tones of voice and inflection and so forth are very important, but the OPTION should be there for people who don't like them or can't enjoy them fully

I usually have subtitles on everything because i'm HOH and it helps me catch whatever i've missed.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Hector and the Search for Happiness is pretty loving bad.

I thought it was kinda cute. But then again, I like simon pegg so.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Conan the Barbarian was apparently re-added to Netflix.

If you've never seen it, now's your chance. It's fantastic.

i watch it just for the scene where he straight up punches a camel in the face.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Grand Piano and Fermat's Room are pretty fun thrillers. Fermat's Room is Spanish language though, so be prepared to read subtitles.

Grand Piano is the kind of movie you go in not expecting anything great but then it just blows you the gently caress out of the water. I love elijah wood's performance.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Cinema Paradiso is on Netflix and terrific if you haven't gotten around to seeing it yet.

my favorite movie, it's always worth a watch.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Cinema Paradiso has always eluded me. Do you care to elaborate on why it's your favorite movie?

I think it's because film has had such an impact on me growing up, so the relationship between the main character/the old projectionist really makes me happy. I also think it's nostalgia as well. I used to watch it with my grandmother and it was her favorite movie too. Also, I watched it when I was young and really loved it?

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

K. Waste posted:

The ideal double-feature with Nightcrawler is Welcome to Me.

I would watch the poo poo out of that.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

fishtobaskets posted:

Speaking of cool openings, I watched Once Upon a Time in the West last night (on Netflix) and was just blown away by the opening scene.

If you like the opening of Once Upon a Time In The West DEFIANTLY watch Preist there's a lot of images that mirror scenes from it. Plus it's just a great movie overall, I think.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I saw Drive Angry on blu ray 3D -- someone told me I HAD to see in 3D the scene where he gets in a gunfight while mid coitus with a prostitute.

best scene.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

thatttt pretty much was my reaction

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

8mm, bitches

this.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Speaking of animal flicks, I couldn't stop laughing during White God during the "dog fight" scene, which is clearly footage of two dogs playing with each other overlayed with an audio track of dogs fighting.

It's kind of like in Cujo; once you notice that in the scenes where Cujo is directly "attacking" someone that he's actually just licking them to death, the whole movie's tone changes. In the scenes where Cujo is attacking the car trying to get in, they made him do that by putting his favorite toys in the car and then telling him to go get them.

Oh my god I thought I was the only one who noticed that. I enjoyed it as a double bill with white dog, which was, in my opinion, the better movie.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

Hell yes. I liked a lot of things about Fargo but Alison Tolman was the best thing.

I totally agree. I also loved Mr. Hands. Being Deaf, seeing a deaf character get a solid role made me happy :')

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

yes, let's focus on that, the old as poo poo meme that I wasn't mentioning.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Hot Fuzz is one of the best comedy films ever made.

yarp.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Is What We do in the Shadows available to rent anywhere? All I can find is a buy option and it's been out for months.

I finally got around to watching a trailer for it and it looks funny as gently caress.

Edit: Oh wow it went up on UK netflix this week, but the US gets nothing. That sucks!

I remember seeing it just last night.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wait, what's ATK on? I've only ever seen it streaming on their website.

netflix :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Just noticed that Hulu Plus has a decent collection of classic horror movies.

Zombie. City of the Living Dead. Motel Hell. Cannibal Holocaust. Hellraiser. Candyman

Cannibal Holocaust :stonk: Just hearing the opening music from that movie creeps me out.

Candyman is great in it's cheese.