Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

How does this hold up? I saw a preview for it a while ago and I really dug it.

It's really good. A complete classic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm enjoying the show, but not without reservations. the narration's pretty drat bad, and the cop character they introduce a couple episodes in is just the worst.

David Tennant's killing it, though.

The cop character is an annoying butt.

I really love how tennants killing though. The Purple Man is a serious mofo and is not to be trifled with, and david's clearly letting this come across.

I really love it so far, and am going to watch the rest today.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Rob The Mob is on Netflix and I really enjoyed it.

One of my faves. If you like that genre, look for The Take starring A young Tom Hardy. It's not on netflix/hulu/amazon (at least I think so) but it's so worth a watch if you find it.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

This is the best advice in all 165 pages of this thread.

agreed.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Slandible posted:

The Babadook, Occulus, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night I think are all still available for horror.

girl walks home alone at night is a great girl power movie, and beautiful.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Accident Underwater posted:

Only God Forgives is up on Amazon. It combines Ryan Gosling's emotionless approach from Drive with uncomfortable incest and erectile dysfunction imagery. It also has a gorgeous neon color palette and really cool score. It is really excellent.

this movie is the poo poo

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Parachute posted:

How It's Made
New Yankee Workshop

new yankee workshop is now my sleep show. Thank you.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I think I know this guy it's count fagula

Hey man. We're werewolves not swearwolves

WHAT ARE WE?

-mumbles- werewolves not swearwolves

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

flatluigi posted:

I ran out of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, what's a good similar show to watch?

Murder She Wrote is the closest thing I can think of, or Poirot

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

precision posted:

Watched Experimenter on Netflix the other night. It's very good and I'm surprised I had never heard of the study before. The second half kinda meanders but it's still highly recommended for sure.

Really? I've never met anyone who doesn't know about the milligram studies and the long term affects it had on the test subjects. It's a fascinating thing to me. If you're interested in more about it, read the book "the learner" by chip kiddo.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

cat doter posted:

I can confirm that daredevil season 2 does, in fact, rule

so much. I was more than happy with it. SO MUCH BUTTKICKING.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

fishtobaskets posted:

I really enjoyed The Hallow. I love a good creature feature, the more unusual the creature the better, and this movie delivered in spades. motherfucking spriggans hell yes. Plus as mentioned it was competently made, with solid performances & special effects.

Hush is another recent horror flick that Netflix recommended highly (4 stars) that I didn't like nearly as much. The premise and performances are solid, but it just failed to do anything interesting with the tension & dread it built up in the first 20 minutes.

I LOVED Hush. Being deaf, it was great to see a horror movie premise I could connect to. Made it all that more horrifying.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Stevie Lee posted:

Usually I hate everything Australian, but I watched the first three episodes of The Strange Calls last night and got more laughs out of it than pretty much anything else I've watched this year. Not sure when it got put on Netflix since it's from 2012, but I just noticed it. The old guy's dumb faces get me in almost every scene.

SECOND, and he just gets weirder weirder.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The French show and movie are quite good.

The movie is one of my favorites, based off a book called Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvis (who wrote Let The Right one in).

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Whoa, I had no clue. I guess I should read it...

Not to clog up the post with book recommendations, i'll just say every one of his books is amazing.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Are they all available in English?

yup!!! :) I got most of my copies from barnes and nobles

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm sorry to keep posting about it but I'm now halfway through Stranger Things and this show is loving fantastic. I want this 80's almost blood dragon riff nostalgic soundtrack too.

it has the best soundtrack, I would pay $$ for it. Especially if it's on vinyl

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Awesome Welles posted:

I watched it about a month ago, I can't remember the last time I was so emotionally drained from a documentary like that. :(

that document just...god, people can be so horrible.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Ohvee posted:

Galavant is on netflix now. I never had a chance to watch the second season but the first was so much better than I could have ever expected.

I went through both seasons in two days. I *love* this show.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's good on Netflix in terms of explicitly supernatural horror? I like creature features, cosmic / ancient evil, or someone's psychological scars represented as a literal monster better than ghosts or Christian-flavored demons.

The town that dreaded sundown is a good one

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

This doesn't meet any of their request in any capacity, other than it's a horror movie. And it's not really an exploration of psychological scars, at best it's a look at mass hysteria in small towns.

Alright then.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, more people need to see A Mighty Wind, I love that movie.

I love this movie so much :')

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yea, San Junipero loving wrecked me. So good, and really liked the change in tone from most of the other Black Mirror stuff.

that episode came out of NOWHERE and I loved it.

My favorite episode is still White Christmas, though.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Slandible posted:

I went through all of the new Black Mirror today. Last two were alright, but the first four were very good. San Junipero episode really stood out as the best.

that episode first had me going "hm, I don't get it, this is kind of stupid," but the relationship between the two girls kept me watching and HOLY poo poo was it a payoff.

My favorite episode will always be white christmas, though.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

Can anybody recommend some recent-ish inspirational movies that leave the viewer feeling good, for example The Martian and Creed. Streaming or not is ok. This week sucks.

Hot Fuzz on Netflix US is pretty awesome and good for a few laughs. It always manages to pick me up.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

fishtobaskets posted:

Groundhog Day is timeless, and I know it's incredibly sentimental and cheesy, but I have a soft spot for Mr. Holland's Opus.

goundhog day is timeless and one of my favorites!

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I didn't know people were making it out to be. I mean, it's a better Shaun of the Dead, and I can watch either one on any given day. That doesn't mean it's a laugh riot. It's just amazingly well put together.

Shaun of the Dead is my favorite movie ever. :') But you're right. If I had a choice, i'd watch Shawn before Hot Fuzz.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

Whoever recommended High-Rise has horrible taste.

If you like weird hosed up psychedelic movies with editing and writing that makes you think you're tripping balls, and a horrible over the top and pounded-in-your-face class warfare theme, then I guess it'd be up your alley. None of the characters make sense at all. Literally every single person in the movie is a psychopath.

Not even Tom Hiddleston's acting and a bunch of titties could save that horrendous piece of poo poo. Watch the first 10 minutes and if you don't like it, skip it. I trudged through and regretted it.

I agree with this, sadly. High Rise was just like the book. Slow, a little clunky, and..just trying to hard, I guess? I loved Tom in it, but if he hadn't been in it, I would have just cut my losses and skipped to the end.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

It's not the learning about - it's the jizz-splosion jokes that inevitably show up. I'm not uncomfortable with sex topics, just these odd moments that spurt into the jokes and I want to cringe.

Nope - checking him out thanks.

the best bit he does is "the salt and pepper diner"

if you're not crying with laughter by the end of it....I dunno man.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

precision posted:

Lemony Snicket is god tier

agreed.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Tier of being bad?

It's actually pretty solid. It follows the books (from what I can remember), the acting is pretty good, and Patrick W. Is killing it as Lemony Snicket. Better than the movie that came out years ago and tried to smash all the books together.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

Gangs of New York is on Amazon Prime and you fuckers need to watch that poo poo post haste. Daniel Day Lewis firing on all cylinders is such a joy to watch.

it truly is.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Pycckuu posted:

Swiss Army Man is on Amazon Prime and its hilarious if you like dark comedy. Also you get to see Daniel Radcliffe's hairy rear end in a top hat.

I watched this movie last night and both cried and laughed. Definitely worth a watch.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Timby posted:

He's also an incredibly chill dude in-person. Also remarkably awesome? Robert Irvine.

Alton is a good dude. I met him on his "Eat your science" tour.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

I love that director, but he is not for everyone. That said, Seconded.

THIRST IS MY poo poo. Third-ed?

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Yuri is also a name
Yuri on Ice is aweome. One of my favorite Anime's of 2017

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not big anime but Akira owns and so does every Miyazaki film. And grave of the fireflies. :cry:

:cry: god that movie hosed me up

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Sandy Wexler is worth watching if only for the Beavis and Butthead prank phone calls during the end credits.

I watched this last night and thought it was a cute movie. But yeah, the end credits are the best part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

I finally got around to watching the Black Mirror Christmas special and god drat I haven't felt this bad since, well, uh, watching other episodes of Black Mirror I guess.

That ep hosed me over something good.