Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

I started watching Peep Show because I love David Mitchell on all those british game shows, but dear god is it hard to watch. I end up pausing it every couple minutes because I can't handle how awkward it is.

It's one of the greatest comedy shows ever made you should stick with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

I don't know if you guys know this but there's this movie on netflix that's going away on wednesday. It's called Terminator 2 and you should probably go see it if you haven't.

It'll be back

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The original Terminator is many times better than the sequel.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

precision posted:

Plenty of 8 year olds can handle Alien. That's not a "goon" thing, especially if you're over 30 and didn't have parents that were terrified of showing you anything but Thundercats.

Lol this is crazy talk. Yeah let's show our 7 & 9 year old niece and nephew one of the scariest horror films ever made, their parents will love us for the week of sleepless nights we've given them.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 10, 2015

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I watched creep just now while making curry and it was garbage.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Hard Eight is still his best film for me. Inherent Vice is worth a watch, though.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I didn't think The Guest was great, but I'm sure part of the soundtrack (when the military police guy was driving the blond daughter) is ripped from (or heavily influenced by, anyway) The Terminator.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Action films are great fun. The Guest isn't really fun. The first half was promising, but then it turned into a really bad action film out of nowhere, which would have been much more forgiveable had the action been any good. It was Blacklist level action. Which means not very good.

The lead guy was decent looking though I expect to see more of him.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Hurt locker is good, yeah. Really good, in fact.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

precision posted:

Hurt Locker is good, but not as good as like, Generation Kill.

Comparing two very different things here.

Hurt Locker is a really good film. If I'm supposed to care about inaccuracies in fictional material now let me tell you I'm going to go over nearly every war movie ever made and come back with lists. LISTS!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I think people maybe feel that way only because it was set in Iraq. It was written by a frigging journalist, it's hardly telling everyone 'this is exactly accurate'.

one complaint according to Wikipedia is

a number of errors—among them wrong uniforms, lack of radio communication or misbehavior of the soldiers—would prevent service members from enjoying the film.

which actually made me laugh.

Hopefully no policemen have watched any film ever made which features policemen because they're gonna be really annoyed at most of them.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I don't understand people watching two completely unrelated films as a double bill. This is a phenomenon I've witnessed in this thread/forum and nowhere else ever.

This isn't meant as a criticism necessarily.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

You've never watched two movies in a row?

I've watched two films in a row many times. Maybe I should develop the thought further to say that taking two films, which have very little in common (most of the examples in this thread, for instance), watching them, then telling people they pair well as if it means something.

Every time I see it I remember the posts from years ago whenever someone posted a gif and someone else saw it and then said it goes well with (this song), only not as irritating.

Sorry everyone I'm not having a pop I just wondered why it happens.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Murgos posted:

So, could someone take a stab at enumerating some iconic double bills? Direct sequels or movies in a shared universe are probably sort of trivial examples but what about two different movies that make watching both more than the sum of the individual experience?

Failsafe and Dr. Strangelove comes immediately to mind but what are some others?

This is closer to what I meant than what I actually said!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

Under The Skin/Lucy.

See now you're just making things up

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

Lucy is Under The Skin in reverse, with more car chases

By which you mean terrible

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Nice edit!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Green Street 2 also has pretty much nothing to do with the first one. I go back and forth on whether Green Street 2 or Goal! 3: Taking On the World is the worst soccer-related movie I've seen.

The worst soccer related film is Hooligans at War: north vs south, and I mean by a very long way, so if I were you I'd stay away. It makes Green Street look brilliant.

I hated the original green Street so never bothered with any sequels but if they're worse than the original they must be terrible.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

david_a posted:

Are you counting United Passions?

Haha I forgot about that. I'm not going to watch it to confirm how bad it is though.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's always been a little rich rear end enfant terrible, the bad boy of trust funds and all that.

I agree. Never liked him at all.

My favourite food thing on Netflix is chefs table. Would like more.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Asnorban posted:

Yeah. I can totally see not liking Hannibal, but saying it sucked balls is weird. There's a level of craft and care there that is extremely rare in television (especially network television.) Full disclosure I loved Hannibal.

I didn't enjoy Hannibal at all, and I think the people behind it have a much higher opinion of it than it deserves. It was well produced, though, and it's a good thing that such creative shows are still getting made.

Tv (and film, for that matter) producers should learn that aiming for one particular audience, rather than every living person with a telly, isn't a bad thing.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I've only just started watching the flash and it's just ok. Better than arrow, worse than Daredevil. Some of the effects would have been considered bad twenty years ago though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Sense 8 was pretty good I'd recommend that as well.