Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Watch The Overnighters, a documentary that just went up on Netflix about a North Dakota pastor who takes in the various men, some with shady backgrounds, who come to his town looking for work from the oil boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The Babadook scream is really, really jarring if you played a bunch of video games in the 90's

Power Rangers too. I wanna say the Green Ranger's dragon robot made that same sound?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Does he play a knife like a flute to summon his Dragonzord, because if so that's a fuckin sweet detail that I'm sad I forgot about

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still really apprehensive about watching Dredd since the leaked script I read was revolting as gently caress. Someone say nice things about its aesthetic so I can work up the courage to watch it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

It Just Got Worse posted:

IIRC, it read as being incredibly mysogynistic with regards to anything involving Mama, and her death scene in particular reads as if the writer was getting off on it . Like, the script has a strong vibe of being written by a guy with some seriously hosed-up views towards women in general, and who is doing a really, really bad job of repressing said issues. For what it's worth though, I went in with pretty much the same apprehensions and didn't have a problem with the film itself.

Ding ding ding ding ding

Specifically the script draft I read was suffused with terror about female sexual agency, especially in the form of Mama who was at the time written as an obese, older, very unattractive woman. For a bit of fun, here are the lines in the script about the scene you mentioned in your spoiler tag:

"CUT BACK TO - SLO MO of MA-MA's continuing fall. The fat woman screaming . . . Alone. Looking down, just as she - hits the ATRIUM floor. Head first. Very slowly. Hypnotic to watch… Her skull crushes, flattening. And the rest of her massive body follows. As the body is slowly pulped, GO TO -"

It's that kinda vibe everywhere, with the sense that holy poo poo, everything about this slutty uggo ought to be met with terror and/or scorn. It even bleeds over to Anderson in a way. In the actual film, my understanding is that the scene between her and Wood Harris y'all have been mentioning plays out by her making him see a vision of Mama biting his dick off, like she did to a guy in her backstory, right? In the draft script, the scene is the same except there's no mention of dick-biting at all, the horror is just that oh my God you're getting blown by an unattractive woman, live in feeeeaaaaar.

Like, every indication I have is that that weird poo poo got ironed out in a later draft of the script, or in between the script and the shooting proper. I have every indication that the film is at least reasonably dope. It's just so loving bizarre basically that what everyone's recommending as this really cool action film with a sick aesthetic and a couple neat subversive elements started out as that.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It's because Headey is in the first 300. She does a good job, as she is apt to do, but she doesn't really steal the show like Green does.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Gladney posted:

There was a sequel to 300? Did anyone else not know that?

If it makes you feel better there was a period of a few months where I'd think to myself "Wait, they're making another Sin City?", and then "Wait no, they're not, they're just making another 300. I got confused because of Frank Miller."

Repeat a week later with the movies reversed.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm really happy to hear these things about Noah, since the posters tended to show a glowery beardman on a field of brown and gray. Like the most un-Aronofsky thing possible.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I mean I feel like the film is more than enough of a serious exploration - poo poo is Jungian as gently caress.

But yeah it's hilarious as all get out and I especially love the comedy achieved by camera movement or the lack thereof. "You're the best-looking guy in this bar" was one of the best-directed scenes of last year, which is weird to say for a scene with no cuts and no camera movement other than a slow zoom that starts midway.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Could anyone please recommend any really good TV shows where someone plays Sonic the Hedgehog to the sounds of mournful strings? Hoping there's something like this on Netflix.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

david_a posted:

I don't even know WTF this post is but I think Rectify is the closest you will get.

It's a post about how much I like Rectify, yeah. That happens about midway through the first season, which I just watched to refresh my memory for the second.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Since we're on the topic of documentaries, I'm in the market for one that features a central figure at least as preposterous as Billy Mitchell. Who you got?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't see what's so unrealistic about a train - we have many in the real world, and they operate just fine, sometimes even in the cold

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

morestuff posted:

End of Watch is very good, Pena and Jake are excellent together. The villains are drawn with a very broad stroke that clashes with the overall tone but it's definitely worth a watch.

Big Evil has the best explanation possible for his villain name.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

K. Waste posted:

Pain and Gain is a great movie to prime yourself for appreciating the conscious absurdity latent in all Michael Bay films. I'm so glad that I only saw Armageddon after Pain and Gain and not before.

The one time I've really appreciated the willful density of film reviewers at large is when all their reviews of Pain & Gain had this lurching undercurrent of "It's like he's... he's satirizing all this Michael Bay poo poo, but... but that can't be"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Leto and Cage do great jobs in that but honestly my favorite performance is Hawke's. He's just so well-cast as a tough, goodhearted guy who's trying really hard to act like he has more influence in this situation than he really does.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

regulargonzalez posted:

Bloodlines is amazing (except for the last 10 minutes). Slow burn show that was right in my wheelhouse. Those aforementioned final 10 minutes aside, I'd give it an A+

Why what happens

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

red19fire posted:

It really would have worked as a one-season biopic, it's not long after the end of the 1st season when Escobar dies in a rooftop gun battle with US Marines.

I don't doubt it would, but I was actually surprised by the sheer briskness of Narcos' pace. Season 1 felt like it could've easily been three seasons - the first's finale is the end of Escobar's political ambitions, the second's finale is the Avianca bombing, and the third's finale is what we got. I definitely appreciate them going at their actual pace - I don't think I could've put up with a season of surly paranoid bloodthirsty prison Pablo.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

Holy moly Welcome to Leith is good. It's edited like a horror movie, musical cues and all. It almost reminded me of Evil Dead at some points. Very fitting for the subject matter.

Also holy moly is it depressing.

Some of the framing is absolutely incredible, like the fact that there's a CNN report about Donald Sterling getting run out of the NBA for his racist rant playing behind Cobb as he checks into the motel towards the end

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I talked about it a bit in the Gimme Blood thread (which, holy gently caress, why did I stop posting in that?), but the most interesting thing about Goosebumps to me is how much self-loathing and guilt is embodied by the RL Stine character in a movie where the actual RL Stine has a cameo role. Homeboy let himself get coded as a child abuser, it's wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed the first season but was always waiting, at least a little bit, for it to stop being such a mess of completely miserable people self-sabotaging at every turn. When I saw Cameron's nightmare gamer house in the first episode of season 2, I realized that the show and I might be talking past each other

Is the rest of season 2 in that vein? Like, obviously it's far from an objectively bad direction for it, but it definitely wasn't what I was interested in and I'll probably only check out season 2 on Netflix if I hear it ends up in a different direction