Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
The episode of The Flop House podcast about Food Fight was pretty fantastic. They really seemed to be struggling to understand what they had seen and how they felt about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jack Gladney posted:

Foodfight is up on Prime and it is indescribable agony to sit through. It's like a much more nakedly cynical attempt at what the Lego Movie does, except it's also incomprehensibly ugly and badly plotted. I read on wiki that the movie was finished by an insurance company after the studio defaulted on its debt to them, and you can really tell that insurance salesmen made this film.

It's fascinating that anyone believed that there would be a market for a movie about product mascots, and also that a ton of conglomerates clearly revoked permission to use their logos and mascots after seeing the thing. There are rows and rows of blank white boxes between occasional Swifers in tons of scenes. Mr. Clean and Charlie Tuna are about the only brands left. It's kind of fun trying to figure out which national brands were changed to generic characters at the last minute.

It also has the insidious message that the store brand is evil and an enemy to kids' beloved food products, not that any kids could make it that far into the movie without getting motion sickness.

You really can't comprehend how bad this movie is until you see it, but under no circumstances should anyone ever see this movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Foodfight spends a lot more of its runtime homaging Casablaca than it should. It's a real shitpile of a film.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
A weird amount of the film is also dedicated to sexualizing creepy badly rendered CGI people.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

A weird amount of the film is also dedicated to sexualizing creepy badly rendered CGI people.

Yeah, I really don't think the kids film needed a gratuitous crotch shot of the cat lady.

I watched it back when there was a 24 hour stream of it. Best advice I can give is don't.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Starks posted:

narcos is very good but very weirdly paced. they basically zoom through like 10 years in the first five episodes and then the time progression gets way slower. Its almost like they planned for a 1 season show and then halfway through they learned they were gonna do another one. I hope they don't try to drag it out longer than one more season.

It really would have worked as a one-season biopic, it's not long after the end of the 1st season when Escobar dies in a rooftop gun battle with US Marines.

Also no mention of his man-eating hippos on his estate, just dumb birds. Though a scene of Pablo throwing someone to be eaten by a hippo would be unbelievable, it absolutely happened.They've found millitary-clothing-clad arms and boots containing human feet in the stomach of one of his hippos.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

red19fire posted:

It really would have worked as a one-season biopic, it's not long after the end of the 1st season when Escobar dies in a rooftop gun battle with US Marines.

Also no mention of his man-eating hippos on his estate, just dumb birds. Though a scene of Pablo throwing someone to be eaten by a hippo would be unbelievable, it absolutely happened.They've found millitary-clothing-clad arms and boots containing human feet in the stomach of one of his hippos.

There was one throwaway line at the end of a scene that was along the lines of "now let's go see my hippos."

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Good god I looked up the trailer (lol) for Foodfight and it is incredible that this was made in 2012. The animation looks at least 20 years old.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Good god I looked up the trailer (lol) for Foodfight and it is incredible that this was made in 2012. The animation looks at least 20 years old.

They raised $45 million for this film?

Did the production company decide "The Producers" was an instructional film? Someone walked away with $40 million in their pocket.

NerfHerderEX
Aug 13, 2015

GG!

Foodfight was actually supposed to be released in 2003, but the release date kept getting pushed back until the producers defaulted on a loan and the film was put up for auction. The investors then commissioned the film to be finished as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Nerf Herder EX posted:

Foodfight was actually supposed to be released in 2003, but the release date kept getting pushed back until the producers defaulted on a loan and the film was put up for auction. The investors then commissioned the film to be finished as quickly and cheaply as possible.

IIRC a bunch of their hard drives were stolen partway through production so they had to go back and redo a lot of it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

precision posted:

Popeye is absolutely bizarre and also really drat good.
My favorite story from a friend who used to work in Hollywood was that Robin Williams had all his cocaine shipped to him in the hollowed-out fake Popeye arms during filming.

The very definition of living the dream.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I haven't really cared for Kristin Wiig in the past, but I don't think she's ever going to find a better showcase than Welcome to Me. I'm kind of surprised she didn't write or direct it.

Great supporting cast, too: James Marsden, Linda Cardinelli, Tim Robbins, Joan Cusack, Alan Tudyck, Loretta Devine, Jennfier Jason Leigh, Jack Wallace, etc. It's up on Netflix.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

caligulamprey posted:

My favorite story from a friend who used to work in Hollywood was that Robin Williams had all his cocaine shipped to him in the hollowed-out fake Popeye arms during filming.

The very definition of living the dream.

That is amazing.

morestuff posted:

I haven't really cared for Kristin Wiig in the past, but I don't think she's ever going to find a better showcase than Welcome to Me. I'm kind of surprised she didn't write or direct it.

Great supporting cast, too: James Marsden, Linda Cardinelli, Tim Robbins, Joan Cusack, Alan Tudyck, Loretta Devine, Jennfier Jason Leigh, Jack Wallace, etc. It's up on Netflix.

Totally agreed. I watched it first like three weeks ago, something like that, and there's something about it that keeps gnawing at me, just like that great Alexander Payne movie Citizen Ruth. I wanna watch it again soon.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST, LEONARRRRD! :unsmigghh:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

They raised $45 million for this film?

Did the production company decide "The Producers" was an instructional film? Someone walked away with $40 million in their pocket.

The Producers thing actually was the case behind that recent poo poo animated Wizard of Oz movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

I haven't really cared for Kristin Wiig in the past, but I don't think she's ever going to find a better showcase than Welcome to Me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Totally agreed. I watched it first like three weeks ago, something like that, and there's something about it that keeps gnawing at me

have you guys seen The Skeleton Twins? because that's one of the two movies i've seen from the past year i've become completely obsessed with

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Every frame of the human characters looks like this. They just wobble and stagger around no matter what they're saying or doing, even if they're just talking to each other.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

have you guys seen The Skeleton Twins? because that's one of the two movies i've seen from the past year i've become completely obsessed with

I think she's really good in Skeleton Twins, but the part itself is a little narrow. Welcome to Me is basically her unpacking her entire persona, it's really interesting even if the movie kind of peters out.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Foodfight is a movie where generic products are literally Nazis who try and put all the beloved corporate mascots (which they call "Ikes", supposely short for "icons" but way too close to a certain other anti-semitic term to be coincidence) into camps and exterminate them. Their leader is a woman who at one point tries to seduce the hero of the movie by wearing a skimpy schoolgirl outfit and dancing with him, whom he later rebuffs by calling her a "cold-farted itch". Wayne Brady voices a chocolate squirrel who constantly makes jokes about wanting to jizz on women and Larry Miller voices a gay bat in a leisure suit who makes Midnight Cowboy references.

I don't regret watching it just as a trainwreck and a curiosity, but the pacing is so bad that once the shock wears off you're going to be bored for long stretches in between the concentrated doses of :wtf:

Evil Mastermind posted:

You really need to see it in action to appreciate how terrible the animation is, and how awfully they squandered people like Christopher Lloyd and Ed Asner who have done fantastic voice work elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2TV4lupHME

Jack Gladney posted:

Every frame of the human characters looks like this. They just wobble and stagger around no matter what they're saying or doing, even if they're just talking to each other.

They very clearly tried to cheap out by using motion capture for the humans and having them just thrash around everywhere to try to emulate cartoon movement. But considering how bad the actual stretch-and-squash animation for characters like the poo poo weasel are it's not really that big of a step down.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One of the reasons the animation is so terrible is because near the end of the project the hard drives containing all the completed work were apparently stolen. If you can find one of the trailers with the original animation, it actually looks pretty decent, like an actual animated movie. The version we have now is the "OH poo poo WE HAVE TO REDO THIS FROM SCRATCH IN LIKE THREE MONTHS" version.

What's really batshit insane is that director Lawrence Kasanoff thought that this was going to be such a breakout hit that he was going to be able to license Dex Dogtective, Chocolate Dan, and all the rest of those hideous characters as "freelance" corporate mascots. Need a cartoon character for your generic cereal? Hire Sunshine Goodness to appear on the box!

The movie really is a "you have to see it to really understand how bad it is" situation. Words do not do it justice.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

This image is so grotesque I can't imagine hatewatching it. I can't imagine watching it for any reason, not even to make myself deeply uncomfortable, which is my reason for watching a lot of movies.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of the reasons the animation is so terrible is because near the end of the project the hard drives containing all the completed work were apparently stolen. If you can find one of the trailers with the original animation, it actually looks pretty decent, like an actual animated movie. The version we have now is the "OH poo poo WE HAVE TO REDO THIS FROM SCRATCH IN LIKE THREE MONTHS" version.

What's really batshit insane is that director Lawrence Kasanoff thought that this was going to be such a breakout hit that he was going to be able to license Dex Dogtective, Chocolate Dan, and all the rest of those hideous characters as "freelance" corporate mascots. Need a cartoon character for your generic cereal? Hire Sunshine Goodness to appear on the box!

The movie really is a "you have to see it to really understand how bad it is" situation. Words do not do it justice.

I think this is the original trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81uIhu8qrrs

I mean, it looks a little better but still unfinished. I am fascinated by the story of this "film" but on y'alls recommendations I will spend my free time with just about any other movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mescal posted:

This image is so grotesque I can't imagine hatewatching it. I can't imagine watching it for any reason, not even to make myself deeply uncomfortable, which is my reason for watching a lot of movies.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
That loving weasel god I forgot how it moved and now you've reminded me of its horrors?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh god you just suddenly triggered the memory that Dex Dogtective was voiced by Charlie Sheen and Sunshine Goodness was voiced by Hillary Duff, way before their careers crashed.

If anyone's interested, the New York Times had a good article on the making of Foodfight and its convoluted development cycle.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I really wish I'd caught that in the theater.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Now that Foodfight and Delgo have been released the only big, mysteriously unreleased animated movie that I have to look forward to is Big Bug Man, which has a similarly outdated cast in that it was the last role Marlon Brando had before he died.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

White God :stare:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

God could you imagine her head on her body? Could you imagine?

I liked Hand Of God on Amazon prime but any show that has Bubbles and Hannibal Chow together is watchable. Hell boy plays a judge who works for God hunting crime with his visions.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Junkie Disease posted:

I liked Hand Of God on Amazon prime but any show that has Bubbles and Hannibal Chow together is watchable. Hell boy plays a judge who works for God hunting crime with his visions.

I admit that this is kind of a dumb pet peeve of mine, but if you've clearly seen most of the guy's work maybe it would be worthwhile to learn his name? The dude's been working for like 20 years at this point. And if you know his name, referring to him by random characters he's played isn't really that funny.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

It good.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Basebf555 posted:

I admit that this is kind of a dumb pet peeve of mine, but if you've clearly seen most of the guy's work maybe it would be worthwhile to learn his name? The dude's been working for like 20 years at this point. And if you know his name, referring to him by random characters he's played isn't really that funny.

I didn't know his actual name, but I understood his post.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I didn't know his actual name, but I understood his post.

We're in the movie discussion forum, I really don't think its necessary to post based on the possibility that some people can't learn an actors name over the course of multiple decades. Ron Perlman has had major film and television roles for many years now, people posting in here should know who he is. I mean, I could understand if this were 1997 and he had really only been in City of Lost Children, Alien Resurrection and Enemy at the Gates.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Who cares?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Hellboy account spotted.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Basebf555 posted:

the dude just wants his rug back

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

red19fire posted:

I don't doubt it would, but I was actually surprised by the sheer briskness of Narcos' pace. Season 1 felt like it could've easily been three seasons - the first's finale is the end of Escobar's political ambitions, the second's finale is the Avianca bombing, and the third's finale is what we got. I definitely appreciate them going at their actual pace - I don't think I could've put up with a season of surly paranoid bloodthirsty prison Pablo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

We're in the movie discussion forum, I really don't think its necessary to post based on the possibility that some people can't learn an actors name over the course of multiple decades. Ron Perlman has had major film and television roles for many years now, people posting in here should know who he is. I mean, I could understand if this were 1997 and he had really only been in City of Lost Children, Alien Resurrection and Enemy at the Gates.

on the other hand he's pretty much a textbook character actor: people don't really know his name or acting ability in my experience but if I go "y'know, that guy who looks like a caveman and was in Hellboy/Sons of Anarchy" they go "OH THAT DUDE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

thatttt pretty much was my reaction