Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hat Thoughts posted:

I dunno if you're gonna get the audience you'd want for your aggressively depressing war film, although that might just be reductive thinking.

That's why you advertise it as a whiz bang action film. Sort of the military equivalent of Bridge to Terabithia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is the full version of Metropolis the "definitive" one or is it worth seeing the other one up too?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Does Bigelow have anything lined up? she's definitely one of my all-time favorite directors

She's doing a Bowe Bergdahl movie in addition to the above.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kuddles posted:

It's actually a kind of mindset for certain actors depending on where they learned the craft that the important thing is to always keep working, whether you like the role you are in or not, because you never know when people are going to stop offering you opportunities. When you take that in, it actually explains why a lot of actors from a certain era, especially character actors, but even people like like De Niro or Pacino keep showing up for stuff that seems below them.

Yeah, I seem to remember a major reason why Gary Oldman was in the Harry Potter movies was that no one would offer any other major roles for like 3 years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Franchescanado posted:

That seems odd. The first two movies, while not great, were HUGELY successful, the books were already incredibly popular and hitting their peak, and the role he was being offered was pretty crucial in the series as a whole, and the movie he was being offered was directed by Alfonso Cuaron, who just became famous for Y Tu Mama Tambien. Why would he balk at that offer? Who would?

It's more that he didn't have anything for a long time and then suddenly Harry Potter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

I just want more Cutthroat Kitchen :(

I wish they'd put up the Chopped: Grilled edition or w/e. It's basically Chopped but you get really unique stuff too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay so I'm three episodes into Sword Art Online and does this show ever become about anything other than its protagonist's vaguely defined sense of guilt?

Like so far there's been no real development of the story, no development of other characters (they keep disappearing between episodes), not much about the setting, the plot seems to jump over various things without explanation... it's like they have a good enough premise but no idea what the Hell to do with it.

Maybe they're just going for a very episodic approach but it seems like a waste to go through half an hour's worth of setup for a unique premise for yet another "wandering swordsman" show.

Edit: And Episode 4 is where they start having scenes of a little girl in her underwear and she reminds the hero of his sister. Yeah this ain't going anywhere good.

Yeah, the first episode seemed mildly interesting but it ended kinda poorly for me. Also I looked up the synopsis and it just didn't look good at all.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The_Rob posted:

Are you really just sitting around waiting for the ultimate family dog movie?

I thought that was Marley and Me. :troll:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't know if Narcos keeps up the Goodfellas-esque feeling throughout the whole series, but I'm liking it so far.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I've been meaning to see Person of Interest so I'm glad that's up.

Also I finally get to see Lawrence of Arabia, now to find 4 hours of free time. :shepicide:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, because none of those changed the core business of watching movies.

But if there plans are to stop renewing deals with studios, then that completely interferes with watching movies.

They signed a deal with Disney to get their new releases up only weeks after the movies come out in theaters. They're not dumping studios entirely.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

K. Waste posted:

edit: DEAR WHITE PEOPLE IN STREAMING ON NETFLIX SO WATCH DEAR WHITE PEOPLE

Oh sweet, I'm definitely watching this during the weekend.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

feedmyleg posted:

I love how dark the ending of The Mist goes, but it feels like a total misfire to me. The most terrifying thing that could have happened in that film is that the crazy fundamentalist woman was right and it was the end times and her horrifying interpretation of the Bible and humanity was righteous. I get that it's not the ending they were going for, but it was the ending I was anticipating and was disappointed by not getting.

I thought she did get it right because she said to sacrifice the group and the Mist went away after he did.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Here's a good challenge: name a cop show where the cops just do their jobs, and not in a sarcastic, cynical or obviously illegal way. I got Adam-12 and that's it.

Do they have to be protagonists? Because otherwise you could do a lot of crime focused movies, like Wolf of Wall Street or Lord of War (e: I guess this one does have him leave Nic Cage out in the middle of nowhere for two days).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

I think you could argue that Reno 911 is one of the more realistic cop shows that has ever existed.

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYnGLOJ1X4k

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sarchasm posted:

I'll agree with this. Let the Right One In is too bloated. In the worst example of this it devotes about twenty minutes of screentime to a minor character's slow (and ultimately meaningless) transformation into a vampire. In general it seems too bogged down in the baggage of its source material. The removal of these scenes from Let Me In goes a long way towards making it a better film.

The more slavish adaptation is not always the superior. I'm typically not a fan of American remakes, but Let Me In is definitely the version I recommend.

They actually did change the weirdest part of the book, which is that when Eli drank the old caretaker's blood, it turned him into a vampire monster and it turns out that dude's a pedophile and went out to go gently caress Eli or something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

morestuff posted:

Alpha and Omega 5: Family Vacation (2015)

In 15 years someone is going to be incredibly nostalgic over the Alpha and Omega franchise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I rarely watch movies so this isn't surprising to me at all. Like Hugo and Transformers 4 are the only two movies I've watched since June or thereabouts.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

david_a posted:

I end up watching way more shows streaming than movies simply because of the time commitment. Watching a 1hr episode every day is easy to squeeze in; watching a 2hr movie is a bit more cumbersome and basically prevents you from doing much of anything else.

Yeah this too, also it's usually not 1 hour but closer to 45 minutes. You can finish two episodes in the span of an average kid's movie (which is itself much shorter than an average film today).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'll believe movies have diminished cultural relevance when a majority of toys aren't movie tie ins.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

I wonder if the big chain theaters are ever gonna figure out that they would probably make more profit on snacks if they lowered the prices and also served food that wasn't sub-gas station tier garbage? I mean surely there are a lot of people like me who would buy a coffee or some popcorn or whatever if it wasn't marked up 1000%

I mean five fuckin' dollars for a bottle of AquaFina. Do they really make more by relying on people with no impulse/money control rather than the sane rest of humanity?

Coincidentally, I just found out today that my theater (a Cinemark) is now serving Starbucks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Oh no! Now a month of Netflix is almost 3/4 of a non-3D movie ticket.

3/4 of an IMAX ticket for me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The only part I didn't really get was how the guy who was gunned down at the beginning of the film and later taken to a Russian black site ended up back in the UK as a teacher but that's kind of a minor thing overall.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Hulu is better as an actual live-TV replacement, at least in the sense that you don't have to pay for cable anymore (if you care about commercials, you're still kinda hosed).

I use Netflix primarily to catch up on series and movies that I haven't seen before/in a while, and in that respect it's very good at what I want it to do. There's a lot of turnover in the catalog but I'm not the type of guy who likes rewatching The Wire every year or whatever so I'm fine with some stuff leaving. Though hopefully I'll get around to seeing Lawrence of Arabia before it leaves.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

morestuff posted:

Is there any reason Carrie-Anne Moss fell off the map after the Matrix movies? It's not like she has a lot of range, but she does steely really well. You figured there'd be character work for her out there.

I mean she's been in at least one film a year since 2003 (except 2011), plus some TV and Video Game stuff (she was the Asari mob boss in Mass Effect 2). She's not a mega star but she gets work .

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Iron Crowned posted:

With current theories though, Marty never actually returns to his home universe anyway, and in the universe where the Twin Pines Mall still exists, well:

I guess that begs the question of "where did the New Timeline Marty go?"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Force Awakens

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kuddles posted:

A lot of the religious right shunned the movie long before it even came out because, unsurprisingly, they didn't like the fact that the people polluting the earth were portrayed as the bad people God doesn't approve of.

I think the child murder was more of a turnoff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

James Woods Fan posted:

I liked Luther's first season but holy poo poo does it become dopey after.

The D&D murder twins was the highlight of the whole thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LORD OF BUTT posted:

This is unrelated to anything currently being discussed, but if anime is your thing, like, at all you should check out Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works on Netflix

The plot is pretty dumb (it does take some neat turns and the setting is ridiculously cool, but it's so laden down with Dumb Anime Bullshit that it ends up canceling out) but the plot is basically an excuse for people to beat/shoot/sword the poo poo out of each other, and the show delivers on that in spades

I just finished Fate/Zero and it's basically the same, except I think it's a prequel to that one.

Iskander. :allears:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LogisticEarth posted:

So is Making a Murderer good-infuriating or bad-infuriating? Like, don't miss it, or don't bother with it? Because all I keep hearing is how how much it pisses people off, and not much else. :v:

It's a documentary that shows you a case where no one should be convicted based on the obviously planted evidence and coerced confessions and yet some people still are.

Whether or not he did it doesn't really matter, it's that the way the investigation was processed makes it really scary if the police decide they don't like you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gaz2k21 posted:

Which would you guys say is better? Prime video or Netflix? I have Netflix USA at the moment but often can't decide what to watch and find myself scrolling for hours.

If your issue with Netflix is that you have too much to watch, then Prime is not going to help you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wa27 posted:

I feel like Always Sunny is one of those shows that will live on in syndication forever after it finally ends.

It is the next Seinfeld after all.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So I was bored today and I saw Lee Daniels' The Butler was on Netflix so I decided to watch it.

Overall I'd say it's a pretty good movie. I remember a lot of people criticizing it for trying to downplay the Civil Rights movement, but what it's really about is the Civil Rights experience from a middle class black perspective. Cecil Gaines grew up as an Alabama sharecropper and saw his father murdered right in front of him. This instilled in him a sense of caution about directly opposing the white man. At the same time, he fights to get his children a better life, and by the time the film really kicks off he has a comfortable middle class house in DC (his wife is Oprah).

While he's generally the perspective character, we're clearly not meant to sympathize with him. He is set in his ways, and this leads him to fight regularly with his son, Louis (David Oyelowo, who is MLK in Selma ). Louis is the character that we most often identify with throughout the film. Early on, he questions why there's not a single white student at his high school graduation. He eventually joins up with the Freedom Riders (and is attacked there), is jailed multiple times, and eventually joins the Black Panthers. Comparisons can be drawn to Jenny from Forrest Gump, but he takes a very different track. While he does leave the Black Panthers because he finds them too extreme, he never really gives up his rebellious spirit, eventually being jailed again in the 80s for protesting apartheid.

Being that this is set in the White House, there must be some discussion of the Presidents. In general I would say they're trying to get the tone of the Presidents off first, and then make them not look too bad. Robin Williams as Eisenhower is the only one that kind of breaks this trend, but James Marsden as JFK and Lieb Schreiber as LBJ definitely get their personalities across. A special mention to John Cusack as Richard Nixon, who gets his scumminess across early on as Eisenhower's VP, and then later on as he's drunk on the couch during Watergate. Last but not least, it's really interesting how the right haircut can make Alan Rickman seem like Ronald Reagan from a distance (although the accent kind of poked through).

If I had criticisms about this film, it's primarily at the beginning. We get this extended look at Cecil's past, including his father getting shot and his mother getting raped, which later leads her to be "sick in the head" (as he put it). This is accompanied by a voice over which is basically Cecil telling you how he felt. I get that it was kind of hard to get the point across, but it felt very lazy, even though other voiceovers in the film weren't nearly as jarring. We kind of know who Cecil is by the time he gets tapped for the Butler position, at least as much as any of the other black butlers.

In summary: The Butler is a story about a conservative black man struggling with his fears of the past and experiencing the tumultuous change that occurred in our nation 50 years ago. 8/10

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What was the timeline in the Butler, anways? It seemed like by the time he was on old dude, he had been around for like 200 years.

He was apparently born sometime before 1926 (Wikipedia says he was 7 then, so 1919) and the final shot of the movie is right around Inauguration Day, 2009. So dude is right around 90 at the end of the movie.

Also the thing about his wife dying right before the election actually happened to the guy that this movie is based off of, which sucks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enigmahfc posted:

Just wanted to quote this to say holy poo poo the rest of the world gets much better stuff then the U.S.

Indeed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Watching Happy Valley (the Penn State doc) right now and holy poo poo. The college kid with the Paterno portrait is the worst.

(I also only realized about halfway through what the logo on his shirt was)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So in 30 for 30 news, Elway to Marino is pretty good if you're into the NFL draft and it's impressive to see who was drafted when and how everyone turned out (The guy drafted last in the first round lasted from 1983-2002, while one guy near the top lasted like six games before he was cut).

morestuff posted:

It applies to new movies starting this year, so Disney stuff released 2016 onward shows up on Netflix a few weeks after the films leave theaters.

I think they also said Star Wars would show up either first or exclusively whenever it does show up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I'm pretty sure Dr Who comes up for removal once a year but is always back like a week later. Something something BBC negotiations I guess.

It definitely happened last year at the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I just watched June 17, 1994 and it's a really interesting look at the popular perception of OJ and other events during that time.

The darkest part is of course the audio of OJ in the car, while the most inappropriate is the baseball announcer making the joke of "OJ's at the US Open. He's already got 2 under".