Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Movies expiring on March 1 that might be worth checking out:

The Charlie Chaplin Collection actually expires March 15 but it's good ol' Charlie doing his Chaplin thing!

The Elephant Man is a David Lynch film about the Elephant Man.

The Ice Storm is an Ang Lee film about white people in the 1970s in a cold location. It has an ensemble cast!

Detention has received universal acclaim in this thread, so catch it soon or forever hold your peace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Malloreon posted:

There's no expiration date showing up for the x-files in my queue anymore, so there should be plenty of time to watch it all!
I have no idea about this particular instance, but often expiration dates show up only a few weeks before the thing expires.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Anyone have any good recs for movies set in Greece? I just found out I'm going on a trip with work at the end of the month and wanna get into the mood. I have Netflix, HBO go and Amazon Prime. Thanks in advance!
Netflix has Electra.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The best part about Dredd is that it doesn't spend more than a few minutes telling you about the setting upfront, since you learn about that stuff throughout the movie. Just go to a comic book store and find the first in whatever collected series of Judge Dredd comic books they have. If it seems cool, you'll probably like the movie. If you liked Starship Troopers and RoboCop, it's like those but more violent and bleak.
If you liked Starship Troopers and RoboCop and wanted those movies except instead of the self-awareness and irony you want a movie that literally just worships the guy who shoots all the bad guys, then you'll love Dredd!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is before midnight good?
It's the best of the three and they are all loving amazing.

In entirely unrelated news I just watched The Silence. It leaves streaming in 6 days so I figured I should catch it before it's gone. It's pretty good - not tremendous or anything, but worth watching. It's a crime drama set in Germany and it's all fairly grim and unhappy - someone gets murdered, people aren't thrilled about it, etc. Good performances all around.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sir Nose posted:

How is Danger 5 for kids?
As long as you're okay with your kids seeing lots of violence, sexual innuendo, swearing, alcohol use, smoking, and jokes they won't understand, it's totally fine.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Three Kings is a masterpiece.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The sound is in X-COM: UFO Defense, at least.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AKMoose posted:

Seconded. I would love to hear any good Hulu Plus Criterion Collection recommendations, there is so much available on there that it can be intimidating to sit down and select something to watch.
Here are some to watch. I got tired of deleting the length after each movie so you get to put up with that after a lot of the movies:

Häxan (1:46:50)
Safety Last! (1:07:42)
I Was Born, But ... (1:30:15)
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (2:00:48)
History is Made at Night (1:37:03)
Pygmalion (1:35:34)
There Was a Father (1:26:52)
Day of Wrath (1:37:01)
Rome Open City (1:42:45)
Women of the Night (1:13:41)
Drunken Angel
Orpheus (1:35:36)
Summer Interlude (1:35:45)
Umberto D. (1:29:08)
The Life of Oharu (2:16:15)
Ikiru (2:23:03)
I Vitelloni (1:47:34)
Summer with Monika (1:37:36)
The Wages of Fear
Fear
Sansho the Bailiff
French Cancan
A Man Escaped
Elevator to the Gallows
Kanal
The Cranes Are Flying
The Music Room
The Ballad of Narayama
Ashes and Diamonds
Pickpocket
Shadows
The Virgin Spring
The Housemaid
Breathless
Devi
Eyes Without a Face
The Letter Never Sent
The Warped Ones
The Bad Sleep Well
Yojimbo
La notte
Il Posto
Pigs and Battleships
L'Avventura
Viridiana
Through a Glass Darkly
Divorce Italian Style
Il sorpasso
Sanjuro
Ivan’s Childhood
Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman: The Tale of Zatoichi
Harakiri
Vivre sa Vie
L'eclisse
The Bakery Girl of Monceau
The Organizer
The Big City
The Silence
High and Low
The Fire Within
The Insect Woman
Shock Corridor
Woman in the Dunes (2:26:57)
Pale Flower (1:35:56)
The Soft Skin (1:57:30)
Gate of Flesh (1:29:56)
Dry Summer (1:32:01)
Intentions of Murder (2:29:54)
All These Women (1:16:37)
Persona (1:24:02)
Wings (1:24:42)
Vive le Tour (18:56)
As Long as You've Got Your Health (1:08:00)
Masculin Féminin (1:44:13)
Closely Watched Trains (1:33:09)
Andrei Rublev (3:25:57)
Daisies (1:13:12)
Au Hasard Balthazar
Marketa Lazarová (2:45:47)
La Collectionneuse (1:26:14)
Mouchette (1:21:09)
Belle de Jour (1:40:11)
Samurai Rebellion (2:01:23)
Weekend (1:43:46)
Profound Desire of the Gods (2:54:44)
Faces (2:09:53)
Innocence Unprotected (1:19:30)
Boy (1:37:40)
L'enfance nue (1:22:49)
Salesman (1:31:08)
My Night at Maud’s (1:50:13)
Claire’s Knee (1:45:42)
Gimme Shelter (1:31:42)
Walkabout (1:40:40)
Murmur of the Heart (1:58:23)
The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (1:59:31)
Scenes from a Marriage (2:49:36)
The Spirit of the Beehive (1:39:13)
Amarcord (2:03:48)
Alice in the Cities (1:51:44)
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1:33:29)
A Woman Under the Influence (2:26:41)
Fear of Fear (1:28:29)
Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai Du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (3:21:26)
Mikey and Nicky (1:46:25)
Opening Night (2:24:02)
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1:48:34)
Coup de grâce (1:36:39)
Cría cuervos...
The Ascent (1:48:55)
The Last Wave (1:45:27)
Autumn Sonata (1:34:02)
Vengeance Is Mine (2:20:23)
Permanent Vacation (1:14:34)
My Dinner with Andre (1:51:26)
Veronika Voss (1:44:29
Fall Guy (1:48:04)
Sans Soleil (1:43:58)
L'Argent (1:24:28)
Stranger Than Paradise (1:29:05)
Secret Honor (1:30:36)
Vagabond (1:45:24)
Mala Noche (1:17:37)
Down By Law (1:46:40)
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Wings of Desire
The Vanishing
Mystery Train (1:50:09)
Close-Up (1:37:36)
The Double Life of Véronique (1:38:11)
Night on Earth (2:07:58)
Man Bites Dog (1:36:45)
Thunderheart (1:59:32)
Three Colors: White (1:31:37)
Three Colors: Blue (1:37:57)
What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1:57:53)
Hoop Dreams (2:51:41)
Three Colors: Red (1:39:11)
La Cérémonie (1:51:44)
La Promesse (1:34:24)
Schizopolis (1:36:48)
George Washington (1:29:56)
In Vanda’s Room (2:50:33)
Revanche (2:01:58)
The Great Beauty (2:21:09)
The Rules of the Game (1:46:35)
Children of Paradise (3:09:19)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

morestuff posted:

There's a lot of good stuff in there but I don't know that it solves his problem of having too many choices
I thought about that, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to whittle it down, and this is certainly fewer than "all the movies" so at least it helps a bit, right?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You would think that if it were going to suggest movies related to Kiss Me Kate it would suggest Love's Labor Lost, All Night Long, Romeo + Juliet, Much Ado About Nothing, Coriolanus, and Hamlet, which are all streaming. But sure, Gilmore Girls and Shrek make sense.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

coyo7e posted:

Does hulu have any way to keep track of what I've watched? I was watching The Shield on Crackle and after a couple days I couldn't even remember where my place was and the navigation was poor enough that I gave up.
Your account has a "history" tab that shows you everything you've watched. I cleared out my history recently but it had poo poo from like, 6 years ago that I didn't remember watching (SNL skits).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
To the people who recommended Runaway Train, thanks - that was a good movie. If I hallucinated everyone recommending it and nobody actually recommended it, then I can go ahead and recommend it. It's got a loving train, that's for sure.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

COOL CORN posted:

Any suggestions for a really good nail-biting thriller? My wife asked me to find something that fits that, and I'm sure there's a gem out there somewhere.
3 Days of the Condor maybe?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I wish it was on streaming, but I have to recommend the original Diabolique
The "What Should I Watch on Streaming?" That's Not on Streaming Megathread.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

precision posted:

If you're thinking about rental-streaming Inherent Vice I would recommend you go ahead and just buy it on blu-ray because it is probably my second favorite Paul Thomas Anderson movie. Just fantastic.
Counterpoint: it is my least favorite Anderson movie.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Simplex posted:

I fell like everybody should watch Wing Commander. It's not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination. Quite to the contrary it deserves a place in the Hall of Fame of some future version of Mystery Science Theater. However, it is fascinating how unbelievably absurd the movie is. There are three things you need to know about Wing Commander:
1. The sound effect they use for the enemy fighters is a slightly modified version of that stock WW2 dive bomber sound effect you've heard in every WW2 documentary ever.
2. There is a sequence where the entire crew of the ship has to remain deathly silent as an enemy destroyer passes overhead and pings away searching for them with it's sonar.
3. The entire movie takes place in space.
Seriously, the entire movie comes across like the entire production crew really wanted to make a WW2 movie, so they petulantly went ahead and made that movie, then half-assed some poo poo they could slap onto to it so they could use the Wing Commander license. George Lucas, when he made Star Wars, ripped off wholesale some action sequences from some WW2 movies. When they made Wing Commander they failed at ripping off George Lucas' idea of ripping off action sequences from WW2 movies, and it is a glorious trainwreck to behold.
4. Jürgen Prochnow is in the movie reprising his role from Das Boot.
5. At one point a damaged fighter crashes on the flight deck (in space). They roll out the space bulldozer, and it pushes the fighter over the side, where it falls down off the side. In space.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Point Break is an accurate depiction of undercover police officer procedures.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

hemale in pain posted:

Housebound is an awesome comedy horror. I want to say it feels like a children's movie at heart but that sounds like I'm calling it poo poo, which I'm not, but it's just light hearted and does a bunch of things which are really silly but work great.
Is it scary horror? I guess I mean, in what way is it a horror movie? I can deal with Cabin in the Woods-style horror or Slither-style horror for the sake of a good comedy, but if poo poo's jumping out or whatever it freaks me out because I'm a baby.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

You'll be fine. It won't bother you.
OK, thanks. Follow up question to everyone else: is Raskolnikov2089 loving with me? Thanks in advance.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Bad Timing and Kagemusha are in the "best of the 80s" category.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
In a couple of days, Armadillo and Poetry are both leaving Netflix streaming. Both are worth checking out if they seem like something you'd like.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Whoever has a ton of movies in their queue may want to check it because I've got like 70 movies being taken off on October 1st, looks like not renewing the Epix deal is gonna take a big chunk of stuff off Netflix. Luckily most or all of it will still be on Prime and Hulu.
gently caress! Can I watch 8 movies by then, I wonder?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Chantel Ackerman's movies are free on Hulu for a while because she died.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Loki_XLII posted:

dang, this jessica jones lady sure has some real jessi cajones.
Oh my god.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
My "My List" on Netflix says Man on Wire is leaving February 1st.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If anyone subscribes to MUBI and a 3 hour and 15 minute fake documentary about the 92 people whose last name begins with the letters 'FALL' who are listed in a directory of people affected by the VUE (Violent Unknown Event) and also about birds sounds good to you, I'd definitely recommend watching The Falls - you've got 30 days until it leaves MUBI.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Blue is the Warmest Color leaves Netflix streaming in a few days so I watched it. It's male gazey as gently caress, especially when it comes to its ideas bout how women have sex with each other, and the director clearly thinks he's making a different movie than the one he made, but if you can live with that it's a really good romance movie.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DeimosRising posted:

Have you read/how did you feel about the comic?
Nope, never read it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That list of things coming to/leaving streaming omits Mandingo which is only available until March 1st.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Why are Netflix's star ratings always so hosed up? I've rated hundreds of movies (generally pretty high, too - it's tough to get lower than 3 stars unless I really dislike the movie) and Netflix still does poo poo like t his.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sarchasm posted:

Odysseus is a major player in both The Iliad and The Odyssey, and I think a handful of people in here have their wires crossed as to which is which.

Iliad: The siege of Troy, where the Greeks (of whom Odysseus is a high-ranking leader) eventually sack the city.
Odyssey: Odysseus fucks around on the Mediterranean for ten years attempting to get home after the war.
The sacking of Troy (along with the Trojan Horse, etc.) occurs in the Oydssey, not in the Iliad. The Iliad ends before the war ends, and we learn about the end of the war in a flashback in the Odyssey. In fact it occurs in a flashback narrated by Odysseus so maybe he just made all that poo poo up and someone else thought up the horse. Or maybe there was no horse.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Does Bojack Horseman get better than the first episode? I watched it and didn't laugh once, but I've heard people rave about the show, so I'm wondering if that's just pilot episode mushiness or if I'm an rear end in a top hat with impossibly high standards.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix is slowly but silently separating their streaming and DVD business. I can't imagine their reasons for wanting to do so changed just because the Internet had a poo poo fit when they tried it in the open.
At one point they even renamed the DVD service to "Qwikster" to make the separation more obvious. "Slowly but silently" is like the worst possible way to describe it. They yelled about it so loud that people laughed at them and they changed the name back to Netflix.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Because it's an amazing movie?

For anybody reading this: the next time you watch Burn After Reading, do it with the fact that Brad Pitt's character is illiterate in mind.
Just watched this movie and it's amazing, but no, Brad Pitt's character isn't illiterate, is he? He literally reads something from a computer screen at one point. One of the main features of illiterate people is that they can't read.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Just barely. He only says single words, and covers it up with a lot of "and poo poo, and spy poo poo"-type talk. Maybe "barely literate" is better? When he's holding the note in the "good Samaritan" scene to Malkovich, he has to sound out the words. I dunno.
I mean he's clearly an idiot, but that hardly seems like the sort of thing you need to point out to people so that they notice it when they watch the movie. It comes across pretty clearly.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Beyond the Hills leaves (US) Netflix on December 16th. I haven't seen it yet but I'm gonna watch it before then because I hear it's really good.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

On an unrelated note ,Terriers is still on Netflix and is also still one of the most perfectly made TV shows of all time.
The cancellation of Terriers is one of those modern day tragedies.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Lucky Number Slevin is on Netflix. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet.
Counterpoint: this is the worst movie I have ever seen. If you have archive access, you can dig up the thread I made which is devoted to how much I hate this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Netflix sucks so bad now.
Perennially I see people complain about Netflix but really I've never really understood it - Netflix always seems to have way more movies I want to watch than I could ever get around to watching. Right now, on my list, I've got 13th, Heroes of the East, Come Drink with Me, Real Life, Amadeus, The Host, Grizzly Man, About Elly, Carlos, Happy People, Melancholia, Snow on Tha Bluff, Meek's Cutoff, To the Wonder, Confusion Na Wa, The Hunt, Starlet, B for Boy, Charlie's Country, Hard to Be a God, The Immigrant, The Double, A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, October 1, Horse Money, Phoenix, Tokyo Tribe, Do I Sound Gay?, Goodbye to Language, The Look of Silence, Life Itself, Girlhood, Winter Sleep, Point and Shoot, Li'l Quinquin, Jauja, La Sapienza, The Duke of Burgundy, Two Days One Night, Housebound, Welcome to Leith, The Forbidden Room, Chuck Norris vs. Communism, Arabian Nights vols 1-3, Entertainment, (T)ERROR, and The American Side on my list, not to mention TV like A Very Secret Service, Out 1, The Get Down, Lady Dynamite, Louie, Rectify, Black Mirror, Southcliffe, The Spoils of Babylon, etc., plus the standup like Maria Bamford: The Special Special Special. And they add stuff all the time - anyone who hasn't seen Boogie Nights needs to watch it when it's added, for instance.