Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Hannibal (the film) is gorgeous and hilarious at times. The first hour is so useless though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Such a shame that Millennium isn't on streaming.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I stopped watching the Spirit when the first scene took like twenty minutes to finish. The writing and direction was too poor to sustain such pacing.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Netflix sent me an extra disc for some reason. Looks like I get to watch Banshee along with my Strike Back and Person Of Interest discs.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I recommend The Dark Valley to anyone looking for a dark western.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Tried to watch Revanche on Hulu but...there are no loving subtitles.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

david_a posted:

I decided to cancel HBO Now, at least for the time being. There are two main problems with it:

- The apps are terrible. You cannot add a TV series to your watch list, only individual episodes. This is annoying but doable with a miniseries (make sure to start from the end because the watch list is a stack!) but going through a full show is offensive. Even worse, it does not remember which episodes you've already watched. It is extremely annoying to have to manually browse to the next episode you want to watch every time you turn it on.
- The real killer is that the network capacity just isn't there. All the fancy content is useless if you can't actually watch it. I would say I'm happy with Netflix speed 90% of the time; HBO Now is more like 40%. I can't remember watching a single thing that didn't noticeably drop frames from time to time (we're talking less than 20 fps). It is tolerable on weeknights but weekends are a disaster. I was trying to finish S1 of The Wire this weekend and I got booted out of the stream at least 30 times. After midnight on Saturday, early Sunday afternoon, it doesn't matter.

I'll probably try it again at some future point, but right now paying nearly twice as much as Netflix for a primitive service that barely works just isn't worth it.

I'm afraid that this problem will continue in the future as more and more content becomes available to cord-cutters. It's unrealistic to think that every single channel/media group will be competent enough to create a useable streaming service.

I didn't renew for the same reasons. I caught up on GoT, which is cool. The stream quality kept fluctuating though, getting real soft and cheap looking. I have zero problems with Netflix and Hulu on my Apple TV, so I assume it was the service itself.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Confession Of Murder never lives up to its dope intro, but it's still entertaining. Some ill advised CGI tho.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
It was so disturbing I couldn't get through it. I sound like a puss saying that but it's true. This was like ten years ago though.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I considered I Saw The Devil a mid-tier film in the ranks of Korean crime/revenge films. I just didn't think it was great.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Chichevache posted:

The plot is mid-range, the cinematography and choreography are absolutely top-notch though.

I'll agree with that. It was visually fantastic.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Commitment was the worst Korean movie I've seen. It isn't bad. It's just...eh.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I remember trying to watch the third Transformers movie after cocksuckers said it was the best one. They lied. It was rancid. The first one is still okay.

The Lost Boys is still a fun time.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yeah Welcome To The Punch isn't good. I laughed in the beginning when McAvoy hops out of the car and strikes a cool pose while listening for the motorcycles. On a completely empty set of streets too because apparently the city is desolate like I Am Legend. It's just an intensely stupid movie.

Watch Blitz instead.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I recommend Locke and Eastern Promises fans check out the Jason Statham film Redemption. It's from the same director/writer and it's pretty good. Uneven, but an honest attempt by Statham at something deeper and I still think about it occasionally.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Ravenous owns. Gonna watch Conan and Terminator today.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Hulu has Miami Vice, Crime Story and Wiseguy streaming.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Showtime's stand alone service has better picture quality than HBO Now.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Is there anything worth watching on Showtime aside from shameless?

Penny Dreadful is pretty good. They have a couple of decent movies like Twelve Monkey's and An American Werewolf In London. I'm just using a free month and cancelling.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

NESguerilla posted:

Taken 3 looks terrible, but is is fun terrible or unwatchable? The first one was kind of s guilty pleasure.

It's on HBO at the moment.

It's loving awful. Don't watch it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I liked Season 2 of TD. Season 1 of TD is good but I find the praise overblown. It isn't anything new if your used to crime fiction.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Ammanas posted:

So my choices of movies are huge hits from 1997 (how has someone who likes movies not seen boogie nights yet?) Or awful new-wave 'feminist' revenge horror? Exciting

If you can handle subtitles I'd check out Carlos. It's a three part miniseries and it is excellent.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Watch Golgo13 or Cowboy Bebop on Hulu Plus.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
A Fistful Of Dynamite is on Hulu Plus.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I recommend Henning Mankell's Wallander on Netflix for your crime drama fix. I've never seen Branagh's Wallander, but I've seen good reviews for it.

Netflix is missing the first season of Henning Mankell's Wallander. It didn't affect my enjoyment of the rest of the show.

CV 64 Fan fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 12, 2015

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I liked Luther's first season but holy poo poo does it become dopey after.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

speshl guy posted:

Oh... oh my God... I have been owned :fuckoff:

uhh.. so anyway for those who enjoyed The Man from Nowhere the director has another film on netflix in a similar vein called No Tears For the Dead and it follows a lot of the same beats but manages to be a little darker, at the cost of not being as endearing as the former.

I didn't like No Tears at all. The action was well done I guess.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

drunken officeparty posted:

Collateral is the one with Thomas Cruise and Jamie Fox right? It was a good enough movie that at the end you can say "hey that movie was pretty good", but there isn't anything special or great about it.

That nightclub scene was dope. Also the gun audio.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Wheelman was pretty dope. Still sad Grillo isn't Frank Castle. Crossbones was utterly wasted in the Captain America films.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
License To Kill owns. It's basically a Joel Silver production.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I enjoyed the remake of The Crazies. That ending was brutal.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

HerzogZwo posted:

Wait, is this on (free) streaming? If so where, I've been wanting to catch this for a while!

Watched it on Starz through Amazon.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Timby posted:

You mean Sahara? Breck Eisner is not going to get confused for a good director anytime soon. (Not that Turteltaub is any great shakes, either, but he can produce some enjoyable fluff.)

Hey the Crazies remake was entertaining.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I use Hulu to try out anime. I am enjoying Gungrave so far.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Heads up, it completely goes to poo poo in the second half. It's a video game adaptation and the first half is the writers filling in the barely-there backstory with whatever they thought was cool, but then they get to the actual game and the show turns into little more than recreations of the boss fights.

UGH. That is super disappointing. How is Darker Than Black or Ergo Proxy?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Thanks. I'll check out Darker. gently caress that is sad regarding Gungrave. I was like "Man I wasn't expecting all this Yakuza poo poo but it's cool" and I was anticipating the switch to what looked like crazy monster poo poo.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I have to mention it whenever it is brought up: Dreamcatcher is in a tie with Ecks Vs Sever as the worst film I paid money to see in a theater. It's just...loving dreadful.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Recognized him from the glorious Headhunters

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Jason 3 was cool. I liked how huge he looked. It really felt like the older couple (were they actually older? They sure as hell seemed it but some of the characters are college kids) was just there to up the body count. That scene with unmasked Jason in the window and then busting through the door was actually creepy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I didn't care for Byzantium. It's pretty but all of his films are. I think Company Of Wolves is a lot better.