Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Brazil hits more notes for me, but Baron is fantastic.

Edit: I was talking about Brazil and someone else wasn't .

Brazil is an amazing and hilarious paranoid look at the helplessness of Man vs. Establishment. That soundtrack, too...

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

drat, I was sad when Philip Seymour Hoffman died but I just watched The Master for the first time on Netflix and now its really hitting me hard. This guy was like one of the top-3 living actors we had going when he died, it loving sucks.

Have you seen Synecdoche, New York? It is an amazing movie, but can be very hard to watch. The main character is obsessed with the fact that he is dying, and knowing how he died adds a bittersweet but honest weight to the performance.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I haven't no. I need to go back and see everything he's done, I've really only seen the more well-known stuff where he's rarely the lead.

Him and Dylan Baker steal the show in Happiness as well, so check that out if you get the chance (it's a dark, weird movie, so be warned) .

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm binging through the early Toho Studios kaiju films. It is a fever dream.

Any you recommend?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Some people in the last thread enjoyed Absentia, but I thought it was boring with some of the worst characters in a movie. It tries to be a commentary about grief, but mixes in giant bug monsters with the folktale of the Brothers Gruff. Me and my roommate paused the movie with five minutes to go and tried to guess how all the pieces fit together, which is infinitely better than watching the real ending that only makes a little bit of sense. Also, the detective character who talks while smacking his chewing gum loudly and showing his teeth was horrible.

Oculus is great, though. I

I watched We Are What We Are recently. It's a good movie, but I don't really care to watch it again. The whole thing is uncomfortable to watch. Great atmosphere, effects, and a weird world. The child actors were wonderful. I liked it.

Frank is great. Half of my friends loved it, the other half thought it should have ended with the album recording. The ones that loved it thought it had a sad ending, the ones that didn't thought the ending was very happy. Fassbender was excellent. If you've been in a band, you're more apt to enjoy the awkward relationships throughout. I hope Stephen Rennicks does more music projects. I wish I could find more catchy experimental bands like the Soronfrbdfjexoemrbs.

I was thinking of making a list of horror movies up on streaming since it's a new thread. Would anyone be interested, or should I spend my time doing something else?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'll do it after I get off work.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Horror Movies Worth Their Weight in Blood

Classics

Rosemary's Baby
Fright Night (original)
Evil Dead 2
Nosferatu
Re-Animator
The Amityville Horror (original)
Day of the Dead
Friday the 13th
Hellraiser
Scream
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Night of the Living Dead
The Omen
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Goon Favorites

The Host
The House of the Devil
Stake Land
Fido
Oculus
You're Next
From Dusk Till Dawn
The Hole (2009)
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
The Innkeepers
Nightbreed: Director's Cut
Horns
Let the Right One In
We Are What We Are
Bad Milo!
V/H/S
V/H/S 2
Pontypool
The Awakening
Arachnophobia
The Legend of Hell House
Funny Games
Ju-on: The Grudge
eXistenZ
The Lair of the White Worm
The Toxic Avenger
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead
Nightmares in Red, White and Blue - (Documentary)
Nightmare Factory - (Documentary

B-Movies

Black Sabbath
April Fool's Day
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (Hammer Horror)
Black Sunday
Bay of Blood
Satan's Little Helper
Jack Frost
The Fly (1958)

Love it or Hate it

American Mary
The Blair Witch Project
The Conspiracy
Devil
Escape From Tomorrow
Grave Encounters 2
Jug Face
The ABCs of Death
Human Centipede
Human Centipede 2

Sequels Worth Mentioning

Friday the 13th series
Scream series
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2
Hellraiser 2

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 24, 2015

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm watching Cool Runnings tonight. Everyone I know grew up loving that movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Man With The Iron Fists is incredibly fun. The original cut was four hours, and I wish it were available somewhere. Such a great world.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you can't enjoy a low-budget kung-fu movie that starts with a fight scene set to Wu-Tang Clan's "Shame on a Nigga", then you won't like it. I didn't go into it for acting. I went in it for weird characters, costumes, fight scenes and hip-hop music, and had a good time. There are worse ways to spend two hours.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
ABCs of Death 2 is okay. I liked it better than the first because it wasn't as fecal-centric, but it still varies wildly. I did like the surreal stop motion video for Delouse, if only for how bizarre it is.

I didn't finish either of them, if that is any indication.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

There's a bunch of stuff expiring in March off of Netflix, what's must-see before it goes? http://wgntv.com/2015/02/24/whats-new-on-netflix-in-march/

Assume I've seen none of it.

Someone mentioned Cool Runnings is leaving soon, and I rewatched it last night . It's a fun Disney family movie that still holds up very well with John Candy playing the straight man coach. I haven't met anyone that dislikes this movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you've ran through every good horror movie that Netflix has, and you for some reason don't feel like re-watching them, then ABCs of Death is okay. There are some shorts that I like, but it's really not worth watching the whole thing for, like, five(?) good ones.

I just made a list of horror movies on streaming for this thread, so there's really no reason to watch ABC's other than you've ran out of everything else. If you really need a horror anthology, you have both V/H/S movies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Looks like they got rid of all the MST3k episodes and gave us Groundhog's Day.

I love Groundhog's Day.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

Here's a weird one: What's good on Netflix that doesn't actually have to be watched? I just had a minor eye procedure and I'd like to be able to set the iPad beside my bed and listen to something with my eyes closed. I've already burned through my backlog of podcasts and an audiobook, I'm not picky at the moment.

Berberian Sound Studio would be an interesting experience.

Any Ken Burns documentary.

How are you picking the movies?

...How are you reading this post?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Criminal Minded posted:

I love basically all of the first two VHS movies and my favorite bit is still the bro rape short from the first one.

The bro rape short was the best. Sets up the tone, and legitimately creeped me out. Everything else has been hit or miss after that one.

"I like you."

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you like B-Movies and the title Wolfcop sounds fun, you'll probably enjoy it. It's not a great movie, but it's fun, the physical effects are good, and the second act was funny. Just get past the terrible credits and let it get some traction. At 78 minutes, it didn't overstay it's welcome.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 6, 2015

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

God's Not Dead was great. At some point a Christian man literally stands triumphantly over the corpse of a recalcitrant atheist while texting the God Revolution into existence. It's terrible. I love it. I want more of this flavor of Stupefying Bimbo Christ in my life.

I had a co-worker who unironically loved this movie with enthusiasm. I refuse to watch it because of her, and with the way goons describe it, now I'm terrified for her children.

Should I just bite the bullet and watch it?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The sidekick in Wolfcop is hilarious.
"Hey, don't forget to kill someone on the way to the car!"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good documentaries on Amazon or Netflix on creativity and/or creative people. I'm trying to stay productive with my own pursuits, and watching documentaries about others really helps fuel my work ethic.

A few examples:

Beauty is Embarrassing
The Devil & Daniel Johnston
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Jack Kerouac: King of the Beats
Gonzo
Bukowski: Born Into This
The Scream Factory
The American Scream
Birth of the Living Dead
Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns
Greenwich Village: Music that Defined a Generation
No Direction Home
Exit Through The Gift Shop

I'd prefer a concentration on an individual, and their medium doesn't have to be specific, just something about creativity and the act of creating.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Narp?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to everyone that suggested create documentaries. It's been a big help. Ray Harryhausen is the poo poo and I wish his movies were easier to stream besides paying for them on YouTube.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, Charles especially.

"How perfectly god damned delightful it all is to be sure."

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They added a season of Bill Nye the Science Guy on Netflix.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hulu sent me an e-mail saying every episode of Seinfeld will be streaming at the end of next month.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Cutie and the Boxer will be leaving on the 14th. It's a great documentary if you're interested in struggling artists fighting for their passions and their love/hate for each other. It left me conflicted and moved in a good way, and creative individuals will get a kick out of it. It's also very well shot.

Anything else really good that will be leaving soon?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

She got a root canal from George halfway through, but was supposed to be doing her own movie at the same time.

Is there more to this story?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also, the new season of Bojack Horseman should go up in July (as far as I know).

I'm excited to see The Guest. I missed it in theaters and enjoyed You're Next.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

The cast list is completely insane.

"Weird Al", Kristen Wiig and Jon Hamm in every episode?

Alexandra Stamler? :swoon:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
While I think Punch Drunk Love is easily his best, I still think that The Wedding Singer holds up and is the most enjoyable movie from his original popularity.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

Yo, toss me some show recommendations - Orphan Black just ended its season, I just blitzed through Sense8, and I’m debating a rewatch of Lost but before that I’d love to know if anyone could recommend some shows that are similar to those three - dramas with overarching arcs and a supernatural/sci-fi mystery-type bent. If it’s available for streaming on Netflix US or Amazon Prime Video that’d be preferable, but any recommendations would be nice.

I’m starting to go through the X-Files since I’ve never watched more than a few eps and I’m liking it, though it’s definitely a lot less serialized than I’m looking for. Twin Peaks works, but that's mostly its own thing really.

Of course, the worst thing that can happen to a show like this is to have it be cancelled before it resolves well so tell me if it doesn't so I don't end up hosed over!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I watched Nightcrawler yesterday, and it was fantastic.

If you missed the few pages where everyone recommended it, here's another reminder.

It was a movie over two hours long, and it felt like it was maybe an hour.. I'm glad Jake Gyllenhaal is taking weird roles and nailing them again. Beautifully shot, great acting, great plot, etc.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My childhood was full of inappropriate movies of my dad let me watch: a fun action/survival movie (Rambo); a funny movie about golfing (Caddyshack); a thriller about people on a rafting trip (Deliverance). These were all before I was 10.

Disney has quite a few of their classics on Netflix. Someone mentioned Goosebumps is on Amazon, but the much better and more kid-friendly Are You Afraid of the Dark? is on Amazon.

There are lot of great summer movies that aren't traumatizing: Heavyweights, Camp Nowhere, The Sandlot. They may cost $3 on amazon, but they pack a huge nostalgia punch for everyone I know.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In the same vein of Labyrinth and Dark Crystal, there's always The Neverending Story. I loved that movie as a child, even though the wolf monster scares me.

It holds up very well, and it's themes have become more relevant than ever.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

You aren't the first person I've heard that from, it's about the only memorable part of it.

I only remember Dax Shepherd asking a fat character "Do they call you Semi because you're the size of a Semi, or because you're semi-retarded?"

I like Dax Shepherd. I know he doesn't have a wide acting range, but I wish the guy got more work.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The One I Love is great, especially since I only remember there being three actors in the movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I watched The Guest last night and loved it. Adam Wingard has great soundtracks for his movies. I liked the 3rd act, too.

Then I wanted something lighter and binged through the first four episodes of Bojack Horseman season 2, and it's awesome. They're really mixing the elements together well, letting the characters live more, while still bringing a cynical weight to the drama, which I love. The chicken episode is hysterical.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

So it goes. This is the old adage that it is impossible to make an anti-war film as a "war film", because all war films glorify war. Even filmmakers sometimes naively forget the transformative power of the medium. The magic mirror flatters.

Chichevache posted:

What are your thoughts on Jarhead?

Do people watch Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket and think it glorifies war? They are absolutely horrifying depictions of war.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My father was a marine and had me watch one of his favorite movies, Full Metal Jacket, when I was about 8-10. I was, obviously, horrified, and it completely turned me off from ever joining the military, supporting war, or making heroes out of troops because they chose to be troops.

I don't see how someone can watch that movie and walk away thinking it's pro-war, pro-military, or anything even close to that. It's insane.

I can understand someone watching The Guest and thinking "being military is cool, I'd be like a superhero'. But watching FMJ and signing up for the military is insane.

I worked with a large amount of prior military, got to know a lot of great guys, but it's insane how many laugh about gunning down groups of people for the hell of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

So what you're saying is that after seeing Titanic you vowed to never set foot on a boat again?

While I get what you're going for, I don't see there being a major correlation. One is a criticism about the military desensitizing people into "killing machines" for a war and the horrors entailed, the other was a romance special effects blockbuster of a famous disaster of a ship. Either way, I wouldn't enjoy either realities.