Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

https://vimeo.com/76500637

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Akarshi posted:

I just watched Antichrist . drat...what was that all about? Is the final takeaway that humans are evil and nature can bring it out? There are lots of inverted biblical analogies in it, but what does it add up to? Also, it's pretty easy to read as misogynistic, but at the same time thinking it's misogynistic seems too 'easy', like Lars is deliberately courting this sort of response - especially with the hiring of a misogyny consultant.

It's not so much that humans are evil by nature. But, what is 'nature'? According Dafoe's 'Him,' 'nature' is explicitly part of some quasi-new age, therapeutic psychological framework: 'Ah! You're depression is just an irrational but natural response to your feelings of shame and guilt regarding the death of your child! You must confront nature in order to come to terms with this! Then you will be 'free' of your irrational emotions!' Within this framework, 'nature' is this inherently self-contradicting artifice that serves a post-hoc rationalization of what Gainsbourg's 'Her' should be - i.e., sexually submissive, loving to her child, emotionally volatile and requiring the strict attention of paternalistic authority, etc.

You see these themes expanded upon (and, I think, in a superior way) in Nymphomaniac and Melancholia. The twist is that 'Her' doesn't need therapy. She really didn't love her child. She really wasn't happy with her marriage. Everything that 'Him' believed was a lie.

The horror of it comes from the fact that Von Trier proposes that this construct of 'nature' that 'Him' imposes is no less misogynistic than the one that just assumes that women are naturally diabolical, the antithesis of the divine Adam. This is represented via 'Him' watching the procession of ghostly women fleeing Eden after 'Her' - the Antichrist of the title - sacrifices herself such that their 'sins' are forgiven and their souls are liberated from this patriarchal artifice. It's inverted Christ-imagery that makes Lylith into the Christ figure, assuming a deliberately diabolical form to counter the patriarchal God who is just as diabolical because he has damned scores of innocent women.

So... thanks for making me want to watch Antichrist again!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Heaven is a weird little legal thriller by Tom Tykwer that is probably best viewed knowing as little about it as possible. It's quite good.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The Asylum's Hansel Vs. Gretel is up and it's actually a fairly endearing B-movie. It's definitely so exceptionally bad that it becomes somewhat good, and even if you don't finish it, the first half-hour to hour or so of it are great for a good yuck or two. It's got that classic, self-effacing quality of a B-movie where the basic conceit of the setting and characters constantly implies this greater speculative universe that is never effectively addressed, explained, or expressed through misc-en-scene. This is my first Asylum movie, and I certainly don't regret seeing it as much as some of the merely mediocre stuff you could be watching.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It's not particularly scary, but it's really, really good.

EDIT:

So, after a couple days of mediocre-to-dumb bullshit movies, I finally stumbled upon a hidden gem in the rough that is Netflix Streaming. It's called After the Fall, and the first thing you need to know is to not be fooled by the poster art which makes it look like some kind of Tony Scott riff. It's a very heart-felt, very conflicted drama that can be a tad on the nose at times but overall provides a lot of melodramatic punch.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 26, 2015

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Force Majeure is quite good. It's not in my top ten of 2014 or anything, but it's definitely slid into my top twenty.

edit: eh, maybe not even top 30. It's still mad good, though.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 26, 2015

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Let's Be Cops does suck.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I can't agree on that. V/H/S/2 is better than either V/H/S or Viral. It's the closest to being a new media version of Creepshow. The other two are basically just Videodrome, once writ too small, then again writ too large.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The first two episodes of Garfunkel & Oates were pretty great, but the second one was absolutely amazing, especially with the twist, totally straight-faced pro-gay activist anthem at the end.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I'm giving my official recommendation to Something, Anything, that rare good Christian independent film that you didn't even know you needed to see to assuage your incessant narcissistic cynicism.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Noah rules.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Chichevache posted:

:agreed: I still want to see the director's cut, but the final product is a pretty solid film.

I don't know. I agree that it's solid, obviously, and I see and hear that a lot, but I always felt the version of Noah that we got wouldn't have gained much from more of anything. It completely flies in the face of the ideological subtext of the actual Noah myth in terms of man's right to and ownership of the world via some divine covenant. And like all Biblical adaptations, the material it actually covers is rather terse and minuscule by written design, a historical record rather than a subjective narrative, so there's considerable embellishment. The result is basically a post-apocalyptic fantasy.

Noah is constrained by the nature of its source, so the more you stretch it, the more convoluted it inevitably gets. The makers of Noah did a remarkably good job of crafting an epic fantasy story that doesn't require nor expect any sequels, and where the ideological perspective is made refreshingly textual by the inclusion of God as an actual character. It's basically a movie about a nostalgia for religion, even including a virgin conception and interpolations of early Genesis myths but with some apocrypha and Midrash thrown in. It's a condensation of Judeo-Christian spiritual history, but one with a deliberate twist ending, where the daughters of God are two girls.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 21, 2015

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Also Miller's Crossing is loving fantastic. One of my favorite films of all time.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Gen chat cross-post: Starry Eyes is pretty loving stupid.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Viginti posted:

Counter-point: Is it, though?

Yeah, it is. It's a casting couch horror story that predicates all its tension on the one-dimensional desperations of its protagonist, and where the villains do literally nothing to disguise their sadistic, parasitic motives. It's just a rarified version of a cliche that's been punted around by exploitation filmmakers for decades, using threadbare moralizing to excuse exactly the sort of salacious sadism and exploitation it pretends it's satirizing.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The old canard about aspiring actresses sleeping their way to the top. It's Betty's audition from Mulholland Drive but ten times longer and worse.

This. All of the abstraction in Starry Eyes is just a hack's version of the surrealism in Mulholland Drive. The thing is that with Mulholland Drive, Lynch cares a loving lot about the viewer understanding why Betty/Diane fall in love with the Hollywood dream, that you sympathize with her perspective by seeing that while the casualties of the industry are terrifying, the sheer visual and musical might that this produces is equally compelling.

Kölsch and Widmyer have zero sense of this. They don't care about their protagonist beyond her being a self-destructive waif who allows the passive-aggressive bullying of one woman (another one-dimensional exploitation film caricature, this time of the jealous oval office) to push her into 'selling her soul' to a trio of filmmakers who are framed as unambiguously sleazy from the get-go. Combine this with the film's cheap production value (there's no difference between watching the scene in which she dreams of her audition, and watching it as if it's just another cheaply staged scene), and you actually have something that strains the credulity of the viewer even more than a god drat David Lynch movie.

It's a dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I also didn't care at all for A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, so maybe I'm just in a pissy mood today. Or maybe it's because I've been watching Kenneth Anger and everything else looks poo poo by contrast.

Yves Saint Laurent, on the other hand, is an understated romantic biopic that I found thoroughly pleasant.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Nah, Noah is better than Pi.

edit: Neither is as good as The Fountain, though.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Pi can't poo poo all over anything. It's caught somewhere between Clerks and Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

I also don't think Requiem for a Dream is such hot poo poo. Come at me.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Luckily, Aronofsky became a better filmmaker over time, so I don't have to worry about what came first but wasn't as good as what came after.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

precision posted:

Seeing Natural Born Killers in the theater on acid with my best friend was the defining moment of the 90s for me

I've only done acid once and I managed to watch An American Tail and Mystery Men. They were good choices.

Then I stayed awake the rest of the night with my friends writing poetry and listening to IDM music. Like ya do.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
W. is also pretty good and way weirder in tone and style than one might imagine. It basically takes the idea that George W. Bush's life story is Mr. Smith Goes to Washington gone wrong and runs with it.

(It's also streaming.)

edit: There's even a shout-out in one scene to The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The World Made Straight is a tad undercooked, but it's quite good.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Jack Gladney posted:

It's also about the ugly feelings you're not supposed to have about your children.

Pretty much. Obviously grief is a really crucial component of the film's themes, but the ambiguous line between repressed feelings of hatred and actual neglect/abuse seemed like the more prominent feature of the story.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I'm going to highly recommend a 1998 neo-noir called Break Up that's streaming on Netflix right now. It peters out towards the end, but it's superbly shot thriller that is very much made in the mold of New Hollywood films. (Which is fitting, because it stars Bridget Fonda.)

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
If you're a big fan of music, or a musician, and especially if you like jazz, I highly recommend the documentary Keep On Keepin' On.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Holy poo poo, watch the 2014 documentary Love Me on Netflix. It's a thoroughly fascinating, non-judgmental, simultaneously disturbing documentary on mail order brides.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Sammus posted:

Is that the one where the Australian guy ends up moving to some lovely eastern european country with a woman who was scamming him?

That and more. That and so much more.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

NESguerilla posted:

The worst was the fat dork (with the steampunk collection) getting scammed and pulling up another bikini model photo at the end and talking about how he thought it might work out. Wanted to slap him out of his chair.

I really liked how for once the southern Baptist was my favorite character in the whole movie.

I actually have a Ukrainian friend whose mom was a mail order bride. I asked him to watch the documentary, so I'll report back if he ever watches it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Nah, he was the one who was like, when he arrives at their first, like, ball or whatever is like, "None of these women are in an appropriate age range for me," and then proceeded to call bullshit on the entire thing in refreshing increments throughout the movie.

edit: That one who got engaged in the first night is legit presidential assassin material. I'd keep an eye out for that one.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
That's what I mean though. This was his version of Lee Harvey Oswald defecting to the Soviet Union and then very quickly having all his naive conceptions smashed by the iron fist of "Your dream doesn't matter." This guy is already a lit fuse. Now it's just a matter of who's around him when there's no more fuse.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

K. Waste have you ever seen Mail Order Wife by Gurland and Botko?

I haven't. Too bad Netflix don't got it.

edit: Trailer's already great - "I expected her to be here and she's here." Gold.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Loki_XLII posted:

I was just browsing Netflix, and what possible reason would anyone have to watch Goodbye to Language on there? Isn't the entire point of thar movie the 3d gimmicks?

A significant amount of the movie is actually in 3D, and even many of the 3D parts aren't executed in such a way as to, like, create a sense of immersion or fill you with awe or anything. The actual gimmick of the film is that the 3D is just an option, one way of looking at an image that isn't necessarily 'the right way.'

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

computer parts posted:

Fruitvale Station is now on Netflix if you want to watch Michael B Jordan in an amazing and tragic role.

Seriously so good watch it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
C/P from GenChat: Go the gently caress on Netflix and watch the gently caress out of this documentary Dawg Fight. This is the poo poo.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
As Above, So Below. Still one of my top ten movies from last year.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
If you're into Bollywood, or anthology films, or films about films, you'll love Bombay Talkies. So loving good.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

morestuff posted:

Snow on tha Bluff is still up there, I think.

This. I don't remember how many times this movie has come up, but every time it does, I'm repping it hard. Seriously great poo poo.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Anonymous Robot posted:

Dawg Fight is good.

I done told you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Anonymous Robot posted:

Fuckin Tree man :smith:

Don't forget Chauncey.

edit: And Jimmy got locked up. Fuckin' b.s. possession charge, too.