Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Act of Killing is just straight up the best documentary I've ever seen.

As much as I hate "it's the best (blank) I've ever (blank)" proclamations, I think I'd have to agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Chichevache posted:

Detention is Heathers for the Adderall and Facebook set.

I'm not a fan of Detention but I can't argue with this characterization.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

K. Waste posted:

This has nothing to do with my overt dislike for Edge of Tomorrow, but with my relative indifference to it. Age of Extinction did a much better job of making me feel apocalyptic shock and existential dread than Edge of Tomorrow.

If there's one thing the Transformers movies are good at it's instilling a sense of existential dread into the audience.

Edge of Tomorrow is pretty great. Robocop 2014 is okay. There are a couple great scenes, but neither of them involve action.

Edit: If nothing else, Robocop 2014 should be commended for having a scene of body horror in a PG-13 film that's almost as effective as anything in the R-rated original.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 22, 2015

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The Babadook was great until they played that stock dinosaur roar. Completely killed the mood for me and took me right out of the film.

I don't remember that. I'm pretty sure I'd handed over my suspension of disbelief entirely by that point. I woud've called it credible if Superman had flown in the window and wrestled Mr. Babadook into submission.

Also I watched Oculus over the weekend. I'd almost go as far as to say that it's less horror than a puzzle box thriller, but I don't know if I'll have anyone to agree with me on that score. The creepy mirror stops being creepy real fast but you're still left with a nice mind-bending plot with some clever edits.

I think the movie just commits the sin of showing too much--its creepy mirror people aren't threatening and look goofy when the camera lingers on them for too long. I think the movie would've been much scarier without that physical presence, instead relying entirely on invisible malevolence. There are still a few good scenes of body horror though--Karen Gillan with a mouthful of lightbulb, Jeeeeeesus--and the editing that mashes together the present with the past is very well done.

I'd say it's worth a watch, if not a rewatch. Solid B. The director has another movie up on Netflix called Absentia, I might have to check that out, too.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

a worthy uhh posted:

“How old is this rock?”

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied “4.6 billion years, you stupid Christian”

“Wrong. It’s been 5,000 years since God created it. If it was 4.6 billion years old and evolution, as you say, is real… then it should be an animal now”

Got a chuckle out of this, thanks.

Glad to Hear about ABC's of Death 2 as well. I heard good things about the sequel but lukewarm things about the original. I assume that as a horror anthology there's no reason I can't skip straight to part two?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Robocop 2 commits the cardinal sin of completely wasting Tom Noonan which is far worse than any of the minor blunders committed by the remake.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's pretty great. Take a drink every time there's gratuitous phallic imagery.

This post is going to show up on a coroner's report somewhere near the words "alcohol poisoning."

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Not sure how you get all that from it, it's very badly acted, badly shot, and really (really) badly written.

The quality of X-Files varies from episode to episode and really varies from season to season. I won't argue that there are some clunkers, but there are also some really great episodes in the mix. I wouldn't write off the entire series based on (what sounds like) your bad experience with season one.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is pretty amazing if you liked 30 Rock at all. It's fantastic in general but that's an easy hook.

forever whatever posted:

Yea, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt owns, owns hard. I didn't even know who Ellie Kemper was but she's hilarious. If you think Tina Fey is funny than this is a funny and good show.

Can confirm both these posts.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I wasn't poo poo talking I was giving an honest opinion. I should try and remember that sci fi fans are a very defensive breed.

Only one person said you were poo poo-talking, the vast majority of people who talked about The X-Files approached you with a lot of candor and helpful advice about the relative pros and cons of the show.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Here's a weird one: What's good on Netflix that doesn't actually have to be watched? I just had a minor eye procedure and I'd like to be able to set the iPad beside my bed and listen to something with my eyes closed. I've already burned through my backlog of podcasts and an audiobook, I'm not picky at the moment.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Leper Residue posted:

So I actually watched Sonatine tonight and wow. Not at all what I was expecting, but I loved it. It is all the things you said it was, and has kind of stuck itself into my brain cavity. Though you left out sad. Not depressing, or downtrodden or grimm, just genuinely sad. I think I'm gonna give it a few days and watch it again.

I've said it before in this thread, but the paper sumo scene in Sonatine is one of my favorite scenes in all of film.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions on things to watch while my eyes are recovering, by the way. Last night I listened to a good chunk of Prohibition while resting my mangled eyeballs, it worked pretty well.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

morestuff posted:

Coming to Netflix in April.

April 14
The Babadook (2014)

April 21
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)

The Babadook might be my favorite movie of 2014, and I was just prowling video on demand services for A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night earlier this week. April looks like a real good month for horror.

morestuff posted:

Being removed:

April 12
Paranormal Activity 4: Unrated Edition

April looks like a great month for horror.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Bound is a worth a watch just so you can see what kind of films the Wachowskis would've made in a world without wire-fu and CG.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Hewlett posted:

Force Majeure is an awesomely dark comedy/drama mined from the simplest of situations - a family at a fancy ski resort deal with the fallout of seeing their father panic and leave them for dead in the face of an avalanche that turns out to be nothing. The central performances are great, the resort itself takes on a bit of an Overlook Hotel vibe, and you'll be surprised how funny it is.

Been wanting to see this for a while, had no idea it was on Netflix. I'll definitely be checking that out this weekend. Thanks for this.

Also, Carrie Brownstein's scream in Portlandia's Battlestar Galactica sketch always makes me laugh. It's just so perfectly timed that I can't help but crack up.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Frisco (gently caress all yall) is big enough that I often hear people talk about the Mission or Sausalito or whatever.

That's pretty common in almost every large-ish city I've ever lived in, honestly. Even mid-size cities like Louisville have their own named districts.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

FrostedButts posted:

"While I was writing my written review, a certain force came over me that made me type 'I hated this movie! Hated, hated, hated, hated this movie!'"

There are a lot of great stories floating around about the fallout from this review, but my favorite came from the original author of North shortly after Roger Ebert died. I'll butcher it if I try to type it out from memory, so here it is copied and pasted directly from The New Yorker.

quote:

I was on tour promoting a book I’d written when someone I was having lunch with in a Chicago restaurant pointed him out.

I became transfixed. I watched him eat. I watched him laugh. And, when he got up, I watched him as he worked his way to the men’s room. Within seconds, I excused myself and did the same.

So there we were. Downstairs in the men’s room of a restaurant.

“Roger…?” I heard myself say as we were both exiting.

“Yes,” he answered.

A beat of silence. One that he appeared to be using to figure out where he may have known my face. And one that I used to figure out what I was going to say next. It was clearly my turn to talk. Some twelve years after that review.

“Alan Zweibel,” I said.

Another beat of silence. One that he appeared to be using to tighten every muscle in his body.

And one that I broke by saying, “And I just have to tell you, Roger, that that sweater you’re wearing? I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate that sweater.”

One last beat of silence.

Then I smiled. And then he smiled.

Then I started laughing.

And then he started laughing.

And then we shook hands.

Rest in peace, Roger.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

ravenkult posted:

Seen both Cabin in the Woods and Resolution. Guess I've seen 'em all!

Have you seen Honeymoon? I'm not big on it personally, but it might be up your alley.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Chichevache posted:

I definitely agree that the segments are weaker as horror, I'm just not sure that they were even intended as horror. Like the skateboard one in particular. I had an absolute blast watching that scene, but it felt more like what I imagine Evil Dead to be (shut up, I know I need to watch that and I will do so someday.) than an actual horror film.

Evil Dead is a (mostly) straight-faced horror film. Evil Dead 2 is where things get goofy.

And you're right that you need to watch them, but you done hosed up because Evil Dead 2 was taken off Netflix just today. Hopefully it'll be back soon.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

precision posted:

Human Centipede is a pretty good film that didn't need imitators (or the godawful sequel).

Is Tusk an imitator or a parody, though?

I'm sure it's awful either way, I just don't want people getting the impression that this is an earnest attempt at body horror.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

WHowever recommended Babadook can gently caress right off.

The Babadook is absolutely everything I want in a horror movie. That said, it's a slow-burn film with more existential dread than spilled entrails, and that's not the kind of thing that gets universal traction among horror fans.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but it'll go over big with the House of the Devil set.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Skywalker OG posted:

Like I said that's an acceptable reason to not enjoy the film, but thematically it's one of the most important aspects of why it works.

The really scary thing about The Babadook is how it very slowly walks you up to this place where you know what's happening is wrong but you sympathize so deeply with the main character that you understand how she got there.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

I just watched Atari: Game Over. If you can get past the awful title and the ten minutes of screentime they devote to Ernest Cline driving around his loving De Lorean it's actually pretty good. Nice historical document for retrogame nerds that turns into a brief but earnest examination of "worst ever" labels and why those statements are pointless, self-serving Internet hyperbole.

It's only an hour. If you like or ever did like video games, you should watch it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Gilok posted:

Four episodes in, I'm prepared to say Daredevil has the best fight scenes I've ever seen in a series.

I'll second this. Just watched the first couple episodes and the fight choreography outclasses a lot of the stuff in big-budget blockbusters.

The series looks really good too. Great colors and lighting.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

A lot of ink has been spilled about the Bard's opinion on cock, but alas we are no closer to any definitive answer.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Just finished Showrunners which is about producing television. Fascinating stuff.

I also watched this and got a little frustrated with it. It felt like 90 minutes of people telling me why being a showrunner is difficult without ever actually demonstrating it.

Don't get me wrong, I have no trouble believing that it's an extraordinarily difficult job. But if everything is on fire constantly then show me a peek at that chaos. Let me see a concrete example or two, don't just cut away to another interview of another showrunner saying "Yeah, this job is nuts."

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I kind of want to see a Director's Cut of The Babadook that does nothing but remove or replace that one sound effect, and see how people's reactions change.

The director's cut unfortunately replaces the effect with an exuberant "Yoshi!"

Seriously though it's one bad sound effect in an incredible film. The reaction does seem a little exaggerated at this point.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

ChineseConnection posted:

I also liked the way they made Fisk more of a real character, but holy poo poo his Mandarian is so incredibly painful to listen to. Like, skip the scene painful. The actor is trying to imitate the inflection and cadence of the Chinese crime boss, but it comes out sounding like a Mickey Rooney caricature.

His Japanese isn't any better, but I certainly didn't read any racist overtones to it. The only people who pick up that his Mandarin isn't up to snuff are people that speak Mandarin.

The Mandarin aside, if you want to talk about racist overtones in Marvel productions we could always talk about The Mandarin.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the King's Speech is okay. it's neither a movie that deserves the fawning praise of the Academy nor the heavy backlash from Oscar haters. it's just a serviceable little movie.

The King's Speech is fine, yeah. It's sort of like The Mighty Ducks, but with speech impediments instead of hockey.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

precision posted:

Whatever happened with Joel wanting to do an MST3K reunion on Netflix?

I'm pretty sure those guys are making too much money with Rifftrax to care about reviving MST3K.

Joel missed the boat, I guess. It's a shame, he seems like a really humble and likable person.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

DangerDummy! posted:

"If you can't figure out what my initials are, you're not paying close enough attention."

"T.I.E.?"

BM

Because by that point it should be blatantly obvious that he's a piece of poo poo.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

david_a posted:

I decided to cancel HBO Now, at least for the time being. There are two main problems with it:

Seconded. The content is absolutely worth the asking price, but not the implementation.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

oh hey Nightcrawler is up

That is a movie that people should watch. Really great stuff.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

computer parts posted:

Also that last fight was very long and didn't do much.

That just means that it's stylistically consistent with the rest of the franchise.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

I watched The Babadok and liked most of it even though I missed the first 10 minutes. Why, at the end does the Babadok begin acting like a scared and abused dog? They stop denying it so it's not as powerful but then lock it up in the basement and treat it like a pet? I'm usually not stupid about these things.

You should probably watch the first ten minutes.

You can never eliminate a family trauma like that. The death of the husband/father will always linger and always be in the background of the mother's and son's relationship.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

When I was a junior in college my two favorite professors both independently recommended that I watch Buffy and they were both right. The first season is a little hokey but oh the places it goes.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Alterian posted:

The Iron Giant is only $3 on amazon as well.

Yes, let's trade terror tears for genuine sadness tears.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

precision posted:

Monsters is a really great atmospheric horror movie. It's like the 28 Days Later of Kaiju movies.

It's also the movie that landed Gareth Edwards the director's chair for Godzilla.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Jack Gladney posted:

Is Human Target still up? That seems to hit a lot of the same beats. Agents of Shield, too, in its own way.

Agents of Shield gets a little more poo poo than it deserves. The first season wasn't great by any metric, but season two is lots of fun with Inhumans and Kyle Maclachlan completely off the loving chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

precision posted:

Changeling is up on Netflix. It's a drat fine film directed by a young man named Clint Eastwood and starring up-and-comer Angelina Jolie in a noir horror story.

I got really excited for a minute because I thought this was the George C Scott film The Changeling, which is also pretty great.

The Changeling is up on Youtube, so if you want to watch a horror movie about changelings you have some options!