Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

morestuff posted:

Diabolique actually is streaming, on Hulu.

And it's pretty rad. It's a good suggestion.

Coherence is another option. It was free for Amazon Prime a few months ago, no idea if it's still free or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

origami posted:

I'm not mad though just disappointed

I'm a bit disappointed too, but I acknowledge that it might just be an issue of branding. I wanted a thriller / horror experience, so the final act really threw me when it went full on Made For Cable. I might give it another shot when I'm in the mood for something a little more loose and goofy.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

NESguerilla posted:

It's been a bit since there has been a Netflix horror discussion in this thread. Anyone notice any gems in there lately? I think I may have already watched most of what is worth watching, but I could go for a decent competenty directed horror film tonight.

Watched Dark Skies last night and it wasn't terrible. it pretty much shits out at the end but I thought it was entertaining at least.

You've probably seen it already but the original Nightmare on Elm Street holds up better than I expected. Might be worth a (re)watch.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

NESguerilla posted:

Is this 1408 you guys are talking about streaming anywhere?

It's available for rent from Amazon but it's not on US Netflix.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

precision posted:

I maintain that Let Me In is actually superior to Let the Right One In

I'll agree with this. Let the Right One In is too bloated. In the worst example of this it devotes about twenty minutes of screentime to a minor character's slow (and ultimately meaningless) transformation into a vampire. In general it seems too bogged down in the baggage of its source material. The removal of these scenes from Let Me In goes a long way towards making it a better film.

The more slavish adaptation is not always the superior. I'm typically not a fan of American remakes, but Let Me In is definitely the version I recommend.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Not gonna spoiler a movie this old, sorry.

You were using spoiler tags for this movie yesterday.

I guess we could pretend you're not just being arbitrary and actually adopt this as some kind of metric. If it's 7 years, 3 months, and 28 days or less since domestic release, please use spoilers. Seven years, 3 months, and 29 days after domestic release, it's open season. Please update the OP.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

morestuff posted:

The Nightmare (2015)

My Shocktober list just got a little bit cheaper!

Heard great things about this and regret missing it in theaters. Eager to finally check it out.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It Follows is on Netflix canada.

It Follows is great. Looks and sounds like a million bucks, and leaves the viewer with a lot to think about once the movie is done.

It's not for everybody, but it's a pretty great flick if you like your horror equal parts smart and scary.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Samfucius posted:

Out of all my friends I had only one who did not like this movie, and she was totally unable to articulate why. Ever since then I've been curious, did anyone else who generally likes horror movies not like It Follows? Why?

There will always be a vocal contingent who cannot enjoy a horror film unless the bodycount hits the double digits. It Follows is not for them.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Action Jacktion posted:

I don't know what Taggart is named for but its logo makes me wonder:

Taggart is the name of the protagonist from Atlas Shrugged.

Don't ever read/watch Atlas Shrugged.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

What's the gayest movie? Top Gun?

Erebus posted:

Predator.

Predator isn't even the gayest Schwarzenegger film. That honor goes to Commando.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Every thread I follow has had a butt conversation this week, with varied degrees of butt jokes and people accusing the butt jokers of being creepy.

Is there some kind of planetary alignment I don't know about? Here's an easy softball lob for someone to make a Uranus joke, don't let me down thread!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

WizardVan posted:

I knew nothing about Mr Show Version 2.0 so it was a nice surprise. So far its great

I'm only two episodes in, but yeah, it's good stuff.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Junkie Disease posted:

I say this with a heavy heart, whatever Netflix paid for Bob and David was too much.

Such a great cast.

I'm halfway through the new season and I'm loving it. It does a great job of recapturing the tone of the original. Why don't you like it?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

dreadnought posted:

On a side note, are there any other good movies about chefs or cooking, on streaming or otherwise? I'm talking fictional, so not like Jiro Dreams of Sushi or anything like that. The only other good one I can think of is The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, but that's about food in the same way, say, 2001 is about space travel.

If you're into Japanese cooking I suggest Wakako-zake. It's a series of twelve very short vignettes about a foodie who likes to sample traditional Japanese dishes on her way home from work. I watched the whole thing on Youtube in about half an hour and was thoroughly entertained, and even learned a few things about Japanese food in the process.

Here's the first episode. It's two minutes long. It's great.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

moller posted:

Oh man, I watched this anime a while ago and it made me pretty sad. Perhaps I was projecting a bit but the person watching it with me felt the same way.

It's lovely that the main character is able to glean contentment through a bit of hedonism but the enormity of what she's so stalwartly repressing hangs heavy over the whole thing.

She's miserable about her work, and has no one in the world to talk to other than herself. It's stated outright that she's a "christmas cake," and it seems like she's given up any hope of making meaningful social contact.

Each vignette seems like a suicide note about a delicious dish.
Was this just me?

:(

Yeah. Like a lot of people she's obsessive to compensate for or cover her anxieties. She's just chosen to be obsessive about food.

I certainly don't think it's as dark as you do though. I'd label it a comedy before anything else, though it's a little darker than it initially seems.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Ammanas posted:

It's a chore to find something decent I haven't seen.

This isn't a problem I have, but have you considered using https://www.instantwatcher.com? A lot of people prefer it to Netflix's interface.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Ammanas posted:

So my choices of movies are huge hits from 1997 (how has someone who likes movies not seen boogie nights yet?) Or awful new-wave 'feminist' revenge horror? Exciting

Canceling your service is always an option.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah Jessica Jones is just kinda OK. Jessica herself is portrayed as your standard grizzled PI, the rest of the supporting characters are all kind of lackluster, and the vilian is more annoying than menacing, which I think may be a problem with casting or something. The show stretches a lot to try and be shocking with regards to violence but it comes off really forced. Superpowers are treated as deus ex machinas far too often.

Contrast that with Daredevil where you had a lot of well worn tropes, but they all seemed to mesh better. The vilian is slightly unusual, there's a lot more plot progression, not as many spin off side stories, etc.

I'm still a few episodes from the finale so I'll hold off on any opinions about the series as a whole, but David Tenant is the best part of this show by leaps and bounds. He's just the right mix of menacing and disarming. He's never on camera with another character that I don't sit up a little bit, expecting something horrible to happen. He's a huge improvement over the typical MCU villain that's just The Hero, But Evil.

I don't think he's quite up to D'Onofrio's Kingpin, but he's really, really good.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

coyo7e posted:

He doesn't hit me nearly as hard as, say, Moriarty in the new Holmes show with cumberbatch for instance

I think you and I must be exact opposites. Moriarty in the new Holmes did nothing but annoy me and make me roll my eyes. He was so over the top that I could never take him seriously as a threat.

I loved Sherlock anyway, though.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

wa27 posted:

Monster Squad is about on par with the Goonies, in terms of how much of it holds up for an adult watching it today. I can't imagine someone liking one and disliking the other. Plus it's got the Universal Monsters all together so that automatically makes it cool. :drac:

Not true. I just watched both for the first time this year and I was really entertained by The Goonies.

Monster Squad, though...

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

I'm pretty sure we can label this entire derail unnecessary. I think the only people not sick of it are the people still posting about it.

In the interest of changing the subject, Kumiko the Treasure Hunter just got added to Amazon Prime (US), and it's a movie that got a lot of great buzz this year. It's about a Japanese woman who becomes obsessed with the movie Fargo and travels to America to hunt down the suitcase full of cash that Steve Buscemi's character buries but never recovers. Just like Fargo, it's based on a true story.

I'm really interested in checking it out later tonight and I know that Fargo isn't a true story, you goddamn pedants.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

All this talk about anime reminded me that Kumiko the Treasure Hunter was awesome and that everyone should see it. It's live-action, but it's Japanese, so eh, close enough. It's a really beautiful film, maybe the best-looking movie I've seen in 2015 aside from maybe Mad Max. Even a shot of Kumiko flushing the innards of a VHS tape down a Japanese toilet is somehow a compelling, memorable image.

It's free on Amazon Prime if you're in the US, and if you don't have Prime it's probably worth the cash to just go ahead and rent it. Seriously one of my favorite movies of the year.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

morestuff posted:

January 9th

Goodnight Mommy

This movie is extra hosed up. Definitely worth a watch for the horror crowd. It's the one movie I've seen this year that actually made me squirm in my seat. Shame the big twist is such an easy guess, but it doesn't detract from what makes the movie great.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

NeoSeeker posted:

What are some good horror movies on netflix?

The Babadook

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

I will gladly trade the entire Rocky franchise for season ten of It's Always Sunny. I'm okay with January, even looking forward to it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Yeah, I suggested The Babadook because even though it has a couple BOO moments they aren't used in place of actual dread.

Under the Skin is another great option.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

There's a lot to laugh at here, but it annoys me to no end that they cut between two identical camera angles with slightly different focus.

What is this?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

I don't want erotic Dracula, I want erotic Ms. Dracula, GOD.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

regulargonzalez posted:

Yes and no. Like it or not, English is the de facto lingua franca of the world circa 2016. All movies in any region should have English subs imo; assuming that the only people in Japan who watch Netflix are fluent in Japanese and pretending that tourists and business travellers don't exist is rather short-sighted and ethnocentric.

Not having my language available everywhere is super ethnocentric, you guys.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

It was fun while it lasted.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

mysterious frankie posted:

That's my impression so far. I also feel like what I think is the twist is too obvious in order to get me to me let my guard down, and I'm going to feel like a real rear end in a top hat when I realize my foot's in the snare.

The final twist is pretty obvious, but it's the mid-movie twist that really caught me off-guard and makes me recommend the film.

Good movie. Super hosed-up.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Blind Rasputin posted:

First time I've tried this and holy poo poo. There has to be a catch, right? They don't ban users for using this? It's amazing this is free.

It's going to cost $7 for a lifetime subscription once it's out of beta, but that might not matter now that Netflix has pledged to start cracking down on international proxies. It's a shame, too. I've been using Netflix way more than usual since discovering Smartflix.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Darker roast has less caffeine due to the heat breaking down the caffeine oils or whatnot. It also has a more bitter flavor.

I personally feel that the drying methods are more important than the roast - african blends tend to have the flavor of the dirt they were left to dry on, for example.

What he means to say is, "Yes, French Roast is dark."

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Cocoa Ninja posted:

World of Tomorrow is on Netflix. It is great.

Edge of Tomorrow and World of Tomorrow are very, very different films.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Minority Report just makes me wish I was watching The Fifth Element instead.

Yup.

Lurdiak posted:

Edge of Tomorrow kinda turns very generic at the end, but it's a very funny and fun action movie in an era where those are fairly hard to come by.

Yup.

I also liked Edge of Tomorrow way better than World of Tomorrow, which I thought was just a bit too precious.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Accident Underwater posted:

Only God Forgives is up on Amazon. It combines Ryan Gosling's emotionless approach from Drive with uncomfortable incest and erectile dysfunction imagery. It also has a gorgeous neon color palette and really cool score. It is really excellent.

I liked Only God Forgives and was surprised to learn just how negatively audiences reacted to it on release. I don't normally pay attention to critics, but the bile that this movie inspired is really something special.

From a recent AV Club article:

quote:

In a film culture that elevated the likes of Sam Peckinpah, Martin Scorsese, and Quentin Tarantino to the status of gods, Only God Forgives was seen as going too far. Where Drive won raves, Only God Forgives was lustily booed at its Cannes debut. Winding Refn critics saw the film’s unapologetic, unrelenting nastiness as proof that the filmmaker was all style and no substance, a provocateur whose films had gorgeous visuals but fatally lacked a soul and a conscience. They called it everything from “an unwatchable atrocity” (New York Daily News) to “just about the worst f--king thing I’ve ever seen” (New York). Rex Reed opined that Only God Forgives “may not be the worst movie ever made, but it is unquestionably in the top five,” while Jeffrey Wells dipped deep into his big bag of forceful adjectives and deemed it, “a poo poo macho fantasy—hyper-violent, ethically repulsive, sad, nonsensical, deathly dull, snail-paced, idiotic, possibly woman-hating, visually suffocating, pretentious.” He then claimed, “I felt violated, shat upon, sedated, narcotized, appalled, and bored stiff.”

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Jack Gladney posted:

The end of The Fury is the only reason they made The Fury. It's better than that internet-famous Turkish (?) movie that ends with a dude getting shot by a rocket and exploding, with text that explains what happens to the characters afterward.

It was a Philippine production, and it's called Blood Debt.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

coyo7e posted:

As much as I want to watch peewee again (not at all) or encourage the career of a sex offendor.. You can have your peewee adventure, not ever gonna watch it.

And such was the severity of his ghastly crime that Paul Reubens was eventually condemned to 75 hours of community service. You could almost get that much for littering in a public park.

My advice is not to let anyone's masturbatory predilections prevent you from enjoying something. Especially if that something is the work a man as funny and brilliant as Paul Reubens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

kuddles posted:

It's weird. I know several other people who are too hung up on Paul Reuben's past to watch his material, which I find ridiculous. I understand the specific issue with his primary work appealing to children, but still, masturbating to porn in a porn theatre of all places decimates a guy's reputation for all time in a world where celebrities like Roman Polanski, Chris Brown, Michael Vick, etc. basically got a couple tough years and then everyone looks the other way.

Having a body of work aimed at children is definitely part of it, but the other big piece to the puzzle is that the other guys you mentioned are straight.

red19fire posted:

Daredevil mid-season status: owns.

I'm prepared to corroborate this. I don't usually binge-watch things but I just can't find a good stopping point.