Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Martman posted:

This begs the question, when does common usage change the meaning of a phrase?

Only when the original meaning has been completely decimated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I haven't seen anyone mention it, but Hereditary is streaming on Amazon Prime and it's a great slow-burn horror film.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Mammal Sauce posted:

Hopefully, Magicians the only one that is furry/beastiality themed or I'll have to give up on these other Syfy shows, too. Looking forward to Happy! otherwise.

The infamous fox scene is so disappointingly tame. It's hard to believe that it inspired so much pearl-clutching.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, regardless of how tame or graphic it is, it falls into the category of "poo poo I do not want to look at."

It's soap opera sex between two adults intercut with nature documentary footage of two foxes playing in the snow.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

... that's an odd way to show someone getting raped by a fox demon, which is what I understand to be happening in the scene.

There's a rape scene in Magicians (and it's a doozy) but it has nothing to do with foxes.

Have you seen the show? It feels like you're conflating two scenes that you know by reputation.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

mystes posted:

Sarchasm seemed to be denying that the first thing happened?

Sarchasm posted:

There's a rape scene in Magicians (and it's a doozy) but it has nothing to do with foxes.

I forgot that the demon possessing that guy was specifically a fox demon because nothing about the scene has anything to do with foxes. This makes me technically incorrect and/or a secret advocate of bestiality.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Inspector Hound posted:

.. which Robocop

E gently caress it, i think the new Robocop was better, just that scene where they slowly reveal which parts of him are robotic while he just mourns in disbelief still makes me uncomfortable to think about

That's a great scene. I also really like the scene where he Skypes his family and spends an inordinate amount of time prior to the call trying to crop out all metal from the image because he doesn't want them to see what he's become.

Better than the original though...? You might be alone on that one.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

precision posted:

Having now watched both, I gotta give the edge to the Hulu Fyre documentary. It pulls way less punches. You can tell the Netflix one was made by people who have an interest in putting the best spin on it they can. Hulu one makes it clear that the dude was a straight up criminal and con man. Netflix one skews too often toward "he just flew too close to the sun" and "but seriously look how good of an idea these things were"

Didn't the Hulu documentary pay the organizer of the festival a six-figure sum to consent to their interview?

I'm thinking you should probably just avoid them both.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Stairmaster posted:

was devilman crybaby actually produced by netflix? I thought they just put netflix original in front of all the anime they distribute in the west.

They label anything licensed from abroad as a Netflix original. That includes anime and live action.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Do any of the streaming services have a respectable library of Hammer Horror? I'd be willing to pick up a new sub for a couple months just to go back and hit some of the high points.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

You can do Amazon streaming rental for a lot of them but that’ll add up.

Yeah, I was hoping to get a little more for my money than renting every movie individually but I guess I don't have a lot of options.

Thanks!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

A good rule of thumb to start is just stick to anything that has the combination of Peter Cushing+Christopher Lee, bonus points for if it was directed by Terence Fisher.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the tip. Those are definitely two of the faces I intended to watch out for, knowing which director to associate them with is a big plus.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Queen Combat posted:

I should probably watch

TRAIN
TO
BUSAN,

shouldn't I?

I dunno, I kinda think

IT'S
OVER
RATED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm looking for a horror movie on netflix
- with a supernatural monster
- that isn't a zombie or a ghost or some other bullshit that could be accomplished by putting an extra in make-up
- recent-ish
- not complete trash
- leaning more towards serious than horror-comedy

Something like The Ritual, Borderlands / Final Prayer, Spring, or even the rubber-suit antics of something like The Monster would qualify, but I've seen all of those.

Under the Shadow? Iranian film about djinns invading the apartment of a woman and her daughter during the bombing of Tehran. It's quite good and is only a few years old.