Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i kind of forget that netflix will often remove many movies that you have watched in the past from the menus that you surf (other than the "previously watched menu"). my gf made her own account, and i was surfing its menus and going "holy poo poo there is actually a lot of very good movies on here. theyve just been removed from my menu".

Yea, the best way to make sure you know about stuff you've seen before is to actually use a PC and manually browse to the bottom of each genre category, and all of the stuff you've already watched will be sitting at the bottom, at the very end of the list. Then if you feel like watching again you can add it to your watchlist from there. I do that every October because there's always a bunch of great horror movies I forget Netflix has because they assume I wouldn't want to watch them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Iron Crowned posted:

You fool! The Netflix Defender will be here soon

I mean in a way it is a testament to how good Netflix's original content is.

Black Mirror
Stranger Things
Castlevania
Russian Doll
Bojack Horseman
F is for Family
You
Devilman Crybaby

Are all top tier shows.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

punk rebel ecks posted:

Black Mirror
Stranger Things
Castlevania
Russian Doll
Bojack Horseman
F is for Family
You
Devilman Crybaby

Are all top tier shows.

You forgot Mindhunter :colbert:

But there's at least 5 garbage shows for each good one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Imagine if Netflix had the same kind of sorting and filtering options that Letterboxd offers. I'd actually use the loving service, then.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

punk rebel ecks posted:

Black Mirror
Stranger Things
Castlevania
Russian Doll
Bojack Horseman
F is for Family
You
Devilman Crybaby

Are all top tier shows.

You is actually a Lifetime show, surprisingly. I would add Big Mouth and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt to the list too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You is actually a Lifetime show, surprisingly.

It's a Netflix show now. Lifetime cancelled it and Netflix scooped it up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Black Mirror
Stranger Things
Castlevania
Russian Doll
Bojack Horseman
F is for Family
You
Devilman Crybaby

Are all top tier shows.

Plus two new seasons of MST3k

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Plus two new seasons of MST3k

I already said there were at least 5 garbage shows for every good show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember when Netflix started doing the originals it was a lot of good shows (and Hemlock Grove). Though even the good shows they started with took a huge blood-filled dump and died, quality wise, before too long. House of Cards and OITNB both went to poo poo by what, season 4?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Netflix technique was go prestige first to get traction and headlines, then start pumping out a bunch of stuff that tailored for each of their demographics regardless of potential critical reception. It's a cynical business model but an effective one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't watched that show yet unfortunately.

However, I forgot to add Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

Iron Crowned posted:

To be fair what network doesn't have such a split?

The general philosophy is to throw poo poo at the fan to see what sticks. I'd also like to ad that Netflix's exclusives are much more unique compared to what you will find in television. An adult action anime inspired American animated series? Pseudo-E.T. for adults? I doubt that these series would have gotten greenlit.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Lycus posted:

It's a Netflix show now. Lifetime cancelled it and Netflix scooped it up.

Oh cool, I had no idea!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I already said there were at least 5 garbage shows for every good show.

Some of the best episodes of MST3k have been in the new seasons.

Unless you just don't like MST3k, which is fine.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Mindhunter eps 1,2,9,10 is pretty much my favorite David Fincher thing. Binging that show and Zodiac is a great little Saturday.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I found Sex Education to be really enjoyable. It’s pretty cookie cutter but one of the better versions of that type of show out there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just watched End of the loving World.

:stare:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Zodiac is on Netflix right now. There's never a bad time to watch it!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I can't enjoy that movie now that we know Ted Cruz is the real killer.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

was devilman crybaby actually produced by netflix? I thought they just put netflix original in front of all the anime they distribute in the west.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Stairmaster posted:

was devilman crybaby actually produced by netflix? I thought they just put netflix original in front of all the anime they distribute in the west.

They label anything licensed from abroad as a Netflix original. That includes anime and live action.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stairmaster posted:

yes. most of their anime is licensed (ie Fate, Seven Deadly Sins, etc) but Devilman was 100% funded by Netflix and made specifically for them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yes. most of their anime is licensed (ie Fate, Seven Deadly Sins, etc) but Devilman was 100% funded by Netflix and made specifically for them.

Castlevania is in the same boat, right?

fishtobaskets posted:

Mindhunter eps 1,2,9,10 is pretty much my favorite David Fincher thing. Binging that show and Zodiac is a great little Saturday.

I do like that it occasionally calls out profiling as being dumb bullshit. Well, one scene did. Criminal profiling doesn’t work but the history of it and interviews they did are fascinating, and the dude they got for Ed Kemper was perfect.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Castlevania is a Netflix show, yeah.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Season 1 of Castlevania was a made for DVD film Frederator had that couldn't get published. So Netflix sliced it up into 4 episodes. Season 2 is ground up Netflix.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Castlevania is so insanely mediocre in nearly every way possible for an anime that I’m kind of impressed, and a little confused about what Netflix saw in it.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 8, 2019

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
So what was up with the watermelons in Russian Doll? Did her mom like have a plan to like make watermelon art? Or was she just that bonkers that an enormous amount of watermelons=permanent freedom?

also i'd be interested in hearing what previous posters thought was unfair about the ending

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

One More Fat Nerd posted:

So what was up with the watermelons in Russian Doll? Did her mom like have a plan to like make watermelon art? Or was she just that bonkers that an enormous amount of watermelons=permanent freedom?

also i'd be interested in hearing what previous posters thought was unfair about the ending

I have some weird idea in my head that the same thing happened to her mom, and that's why she went crazy but I'm mostly basing it off of clues that turned out to be things in Nadia's influence on the time loops. I thought her mom destroyed the mirrors in the house because mirrors were some sort of key to the cycle, but it seemed to be a red herring.

I'm interested in what's "unfair" also, maybe that Multiple-Deaths-Nadia is with No-Deaths-Alan and vice-versa, so both are with their partner who didn't grow with them. Or maybe the tunnel solved all that and brought it all into one timeline, who knows.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LifeLynx posted:

I have some weird idea in my head that the same thing happened to her mom, and that's why she went crazy but I'm mostly basing it off of clues that turned out to be things in Nadia's influence on the time loops. I thought her mom destroyed the mirrors in the house because mirrors were some sort of key to the cycle, but it seemed to be a red herring.

I'm interested in what's "unfair" also, maybe that Multiple-Deaths-Nadia is with No-Deaths-Alan and vice-versa, so both are with their partner who didn't grow with them. Or maybe the tunnel solved all that and brought it all into one timeline, who knows.

its unfair in the sense that they learned to appreciate each other in that shared experience and now will go through life with a person they know intimately that also just met them. They have a shared experience the other one will never know.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

Yeah, they are together at the very end. The timelines merge, though they haven't noticed yet.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 8, 2019

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Franchescanado posted:

Some of the best episodes of MST3k have been in the new seasons.

Unless you just don't like MST3k, which is fine.

IT IS NOT FINE

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

That wouldn't make sense because Nadia's mother killed herself a year after Nadia went to live with the other lady.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

general thread question. where is the best place to find out if and where something is streaming? something has to be better than my aimless googlin

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

ptkfvk posted:

general thread question. where is the best place to find out if and where something is streaming? something has to be better than my aimless googlin

Justwatch.com is accurate 99% of the time.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Got around to watching Velvet Buzzsaw. Thought the satire was too weak, and the deaths were boring.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lycus posted:

Yeah, they are together at the very end. The timelines merge, though they haven't noticed yet.

it’s not explicitly that and I think it works best with each in a hosed up place with someone that will help them. A lot of the show is about how life is basically impossible to navigate without someone else who, if they havent been there, at least can sit there with you when it’s bad

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Finished Russian Doll, and it surpassed the hype. That ending shot was perfect. I guess I watched too much Black Mirror, because I thought for awhile that they were in a VR type thing that she helped designed. The kicker to the game/therapy/? was you had no idea that you were in a VR world.. I was a little worried about a season 2 being forced (the show seemed like it was meant for 1 season), but I did read it was pitch as a 3 season series.

Also started Forever last night. I thought the show was about something else, so I was shocked where it went in the first few episodes. Only 3 episodes in, but it is really great. Also I just love Maya Rudolph.

Edit: I don't know how I missed that Maya Rudolph has been married to Paul Thomas Anderson since 2001.

Iron Crowned posted:

& forgot GLOW, Master of None, Haunting of Hill House, and The Crown which are all top tier. They even have a nice mid-range of shows (Ozark for example, and Stranger Things should be here cause not top tier), the best baking show on TV, Nailed It, and the best reality show airing, Terrace House.

I am a long time HBO Sunday night show fanatic (since OZ & The Sopranos), and I would pay that extra $10-15 a month just to watch a show (or two depending on what came on at 10) on Sunday night. So what we get for Netflix is well worth the value despite the 1 good show to 5 bad shows ratio. I would guess that Netflix has more great series than any other service or network in the last 5 years.

That said I really could care less about the movies part. I might only watch 2-5 movies a year on HBO and the same with Netflix.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 8, 2019

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is the Crown top tier? I’ve not watched any but as a subject of these awful people I can’t imagine a more tedious thing than a show about the royal family.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

marktheando posted:

Is the Crown top tier? I’ve not watched any but as a subject of these awful people I can’t imagine a more tedious thing than a show about the royal family.

As an American I found it fascinating, and the show's acting is top notch. There were a lot of things I learn about the royal family (like the whole Princess Margaret and Peter Townsend affair), but of course they might be obvious to one of their subjects.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

nate fisher posted:

As an American I found it fascinating, and the show's acting is top notch. There were a lot of things I learn about the royal family (like the whole Princess Margaret and Peter Townsend affair), but of course they might be obvious to one of their subjects.

Does it include price Phillip being a racist piece of poo poo who constantly cheated on the queen? Does it mention his sister was married to an SS officer? I got the impression it was a puff piece that glosses over anything uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

marktheando posted:

Does it include price Phillip being a racist piece of poo poo who constantly cheated on the queen? Does it mention his sister was married to an SS officer? I got the impression it was a puff piece that glosses over anything uncomfortable.

Yes in season 2 does go into Phillip's cheating, and the show shows Phillip (in flashbacks) being raised by Nazis (it even shows him at a Nazi parade if I remember correctly). They also include that the Queen's uncle collaborated with Nazis. I can't remember if they went that much into the racism, but show has not been that kind to Phillip. I am sure there are things it does gloss over, but in now way would I call it a puff piece.