Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Whaaa? I thought Maggie and Domnhall were fantastic. True, the characters are less rangy than Scoot and Fassbender but that's kind of what the movie's about, these people under the sway of this magnetic, unstable person. At times it does read like a Portlandia sketch though.

According to IMDB Johnny Depp was originally up for the Frank role. I can't imagine how much that would derail the genuine heart of this film.

I really liked that the movie (spoilers for the ending) didn't really downplay Frank's mental illness. He was *never* an untouchable genius, just a weirdo who surrounded himself with other weirdos, and the movie could have very easily fallen into the trap of being too twee but doesn't because it stays grounded to the fact that he's a weirdo and his music is strange and inaccessible. It makes the meeting of the parents scene less of a revelation and more of a gut-punch to the main character. Hey dummy, Frank's ill. It's not a gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

mr. why posted:

Does anyone know if the first half of Mad Men season 7 will be going up on US Amazon/Netflix before the rest of it premieres? I can't remember if Breaking Bad's half-season went up before the rest of it aired.

Breaking Bad's went up I think on the same day the rest of the season aired so Mad Men will likely do the same thing. I definitely didn't have to wait for all of Season 5 to air to see the first half.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Willam Dafoe is great in it as Max Shreck, and it's got Malkovich as Murnau the director. It's a weird but cool movie.

The campfire scene where they ask Shreck what his favorite part of Dracula was is straight-up genius. The rest of the movie is weird and interesting but ultimately just kinda ok.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

kaworu posted:

I don't think people realize just how incredibly influential Three Kings turned out to be as a war film. To my best recollection, it was the very first film made about Operation Desert Storm, and it came out during a very interesting period of time socially and politically; after Desert Storm, but before 9/11. I could talk a lot about it I think but I don't really have fully formulated thoughts about it all at the moment, I need to watch it again.

I remember reading somewhere that one of the things that made Three Kings special was it had the lowest shots fired of any war film, but every bullet mattered.

I like that because it sums up the entire feel of the movie as these American soldiers wander around in this strange quasi-war zone so particular to modern warfare (and Desert Storm in particular) that hadn't been captured on film before.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 9, 2015

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
Yeah I agree, O'Russel is hit or miss with me but I *love* this film.

The setting is so strange and you can feel it in every frame. It looks like a war movie except saturated with the politics of the conflict to the point that it's overwhelmed and removed the action. It's got American soldiers over here. Iraqi soldiers over there. Innocent civilians caught in the middle.

Except no one's shooting at each other. There's no battle lines. The two armies move freely through each other, ignore each other, barter and gab (the film takes place after hostilities ended in Desert Storm). Neither side cares about the other and they're busy putting together their post-war agendas. It does this amazing job of draining war of all its moral clarity via banal geopolitics instead of the animal savagery and chaos of a Vietnam film.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 9, 2015

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

W. is also pretty good and way weirder in tone and style than one might imagine. It basically takes the idea that George W. Bush's life story is Mr. Smith Goes to Washington gone wrong and runs with it.

(It's also streaming.)

edit: There's even a shout-out in one scene to The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

Thandie Newton's Condoleezza Rice performance is just the weirdest thing.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
I liked it but I wanted more, and weirder, angels.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

morestuff posted:

Noah is significantly weirder than I was expecting.

I found it less weird than expected but only because CineD hyped up the weirdness for me.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The more I think about Holy Motors, the more I dislike it. Once you come up with a reading of the film, it suddenly becomes a lot less interesting because most of the mystery is gone. It also completely front-loads itself with the best stuff.

I really like this movie but if I was being completely honest its goodwill rests a lot on the kick-rear end accordion train in the Intermission. The rest of the movie works for me except the very end when the cars are talking to each other in the garage. I just don't even know what that's going for.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
The oddest aspect is the movie was written and directed by Chris Roberts who was the brain behind all the games and yet the movie is some weird alt-version of the games where everything is slightly wrong.

Like, it feels exactly like an adaptation by someone with no familiarity with the source material.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

I love how dark the ending of The Mist goes, but it feels like a total misfire to me. The most terrifying thing that could have happened in that film is that the crazy fundamentalist woman was right and it was the end times and her horrifying interpretation of the Bible and humanity was righteous. I get that it's not the ending they were going for, but it was the ending I was anticipating and was disappointed by not getting.

The Rapture actually does this, more or less, and it's the only time I've seen a movie have the guts to carry through on its religious apocalypse premise without being one of those loony megachurch productions starring Kevin Sorbo or Kirk Cameron.

Basically the main character believes god has told her the end times are coming, go out into the desert, wait for a sign, then kill your child. She does everything except the last part, the rapture actually happens, and god's like welp you didn't do what i told you and she goes to hell. THE END.

Unfortunately it's not a very good movie so the narrative kick of seeing the premise followed through is tempered by it's lame-o made-for-tv production values.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

CheesyDog posted:

That's almost exactly the opposite of the ending of the movie.

Haha I really misremembered the daughter thing but anyway God is real, the apocalypse happens the end. Anyway the themes it explores deserved a better movie but it did stick to its guns.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
8mm is gross.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
Newsradio was some sort of comedy wizardry because they also made Andy Dick tolerable.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Ha ha yes I know I was being flippant. I prefer my Pacino to be like Carlito or the coach in Any Given Sunday though.

She's got a... GREAT rear end

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
Lamenting that the butt you saw on screen is not the actual butt of the actress on screen is pretty creepy, folks.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

No, I don't think it really is. Now if he was lamenting the lack of unsimulated sex in Irreversible, that would be creepy. Wanting to see a pretty woman naked? That sounds pretty darn universal to me.

Butts are great. Being upset the movie tricked you into thinking you got to ogle a particular person's butt but it was actually a different person's butt has a gross sense of entitlement about it.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

speshl guy posted:

I really liked Any Whitfield in the role and I wanted to give Liam a chance but whether it was his fault or the writers', he was basically indestructable and... boring... throughout the remainder of the series. Overall I had a lot of fun with it and glad I picked it back up, but I just wish we got a little more substance with our exploitation historical epic.

I feel like they were shooting for more of an epic hero approach in the latter two seasons. Spartacus has transcended his lowly gladiator status and become the myth of history we all know.

I found the bigger problem was they didn't ever really figure out how to approach the ultimate resolution of the slave revolt in a coherent way. You spend 3 seasons watching these characters get smarter and stronger and more clever in dealing with Rome, but it all still has to end with everyone dying and losing to the bad guys and the show kinda just went "welp" when they got there. So the whole series ends on this unsatisfying downer.

edit: also a want a whole show about the 3rd season's Caesar. He's so often depicted as this grand statesmen but the half-cocked rogue Spartacus went for would be right at home negotiating his own ransom with Coriscan pirates.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 4, 2015

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

speshl guy posted:

However, I felt the climax of the series and Spartacus' personal retribution was the defeat of Glaber so in a way there was this overlying sense that the entire final season was just an epilogue.

Yeah that's true. Up until then Spartacus's revolt was driven largely by vendetta and thus very personal. I think they did a good job depicting how the revolt had escalated to the point that Rome had to get serious but season 3 was definitely "Our Heros vs The Mechanistic Apparatus of State". Crassus et. al. were just doing their jobs and didn't give a poo poo who Spartacus was or why he was doing anything.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Filthy Hans posted:

I was disappointed with the second season of Broadchurch. Changing the focus from a murder investigation to court drama meant the new investigation felt like an afterthought. Also I am unfamiliar with British law but the trial seemed rather preposterous to me would the admissibility of a confession really be argued in front of the jury? That's extremely prejudicial, don't they have pre-trial hearings like an American grand jury to handle that? Also do they have any rules of evidence whatsoever?

I just started this but am ambivalent as I thought the first season was ludicrously melodramatic at times. The performances are strong but the story is sort of silly and overwrought.

I felt the same way about Luther. Maybe British crime dramas just aren't my thing.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

*grabs you by the lapels* Watch Southcliffe!!!

I have not even heard of this! Am I going to regret it?

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Filthy Hans posted:

In addition to Southcliffe which has already been recommended, Happy Valley and The Fall are both really good British crime dramas, give them a try before you abandon the genre

The Fall has been on my list for a while. I'll check these out but I'm dumping Broadchurch. Blech.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
Both Broadchurch and Black Mirror have been described as dark but I felt they crossed over into misanthropy. Black Mirror in particular was well done technically but unpleasant to watch. British television needs to talk some stuff out :ohdear:

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

alansmithee posted:

That said I think it's a fair bit better than The Fall, which seemed like a parody of a dark crime drama that didn't realize it was a parody.

That doesn't bode well 'cuz that's how I would describe Luther.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Parachute posted:

Jacob's Ladder doesn't have any jump scares? Maybe it's time for a rewatch.

It has at least one so I think that list is bullshit.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure Dr Who comes up for removal once a year but is always back like a week later. Something something BBC negotiations I guess.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

I'll even go so far as to say that Machete itself was better as a trailer than an actual full length movie.

I'm not sure why this is a surprise to anyone.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
Farscape is fun to see all the random Australian actors rotate through. Like half the cast of Fury Road pops up at some point or another.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Knightmare posted:

I'm a few eps into Luther and not sure if I can hold on...does it get significantly better at any point?

Man I'd heard so much great stuff about this show and then I watched and it's goofy as gently caress. If you're not into it just stop.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Mescal posted:

Lady Dynamite. I almost loving love it, but somebody did that thing where you write the script after filming and poorly dub it in when you can't see the actor's mouth. Continually, for the entire series.

I haven't seen Lady Dynamite yet but the amount of obvious ADR in Kimmy Schmidt is legit distracting. I keep wondering what the production cycle looks like when so many one-liners are clearly dropped in later.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I didn't notice it much the 1st season, but it is extremely noticeable in the 2nd season. Titus looks like a ventriloquist on occasion.

Yeah I don't remember having a problem with it in Season 1, though I do remember being distracted by it on occasion in 30 Rock too. Maybe rewriting jokes after shooting is de rigueur for Fey et. al. but it happens often enough it starts to make the production feel a little amateurish.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
I'm not sure you do get the business as you're talking about Netflix movies as if they follow a box office profit curve. Netflix movies don't have profits over time, they either bring in new subscribers or they don't. And I highly doubt having Adam Sandler in their lineup would drive away subscribers that otherwise want Netflix content like Beasts of No Nation or Orange is the New Black or something. How The Big Short did vs Pixels isn't relevant. It's more analogous to whether HBO should drop Taxi Cab Confessionals because people who like the Sopranos don't watch it.

I mean, a few people maybe but I'd be very surprised if it had any negative effect on their bottom line.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Franchescanado posted:

Is an Adam Sandler movie really going to bring in a new audience, or pander to the one they already have?

Well, Netflix has already stated it's their most popular movie, so any discussion has to reckon with that fact unless you think they're lying. Whatever you think of Adam Sandler, Netflix's investment in him seems to have worked.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
My favorite part of TOS is how new and unestablished it is in hindsight to the 30 years of newer properties built on top of it. It's fascinating to watch the show work out what the Star Trek universe is and isn't. And almost no technobabble because the show's attention span for the fake science and tech behind everything is basically nil.

My least favorite part of TOS is it's a 60s television show which means it's nearly 30 episodes a season and most of the episodes have to fill 50 minutes with 20 minutes worth of story. It's slow. And very often extremely boring.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

There are a few episodes where they go to a planet that is basically the 60s with one thing changed: "this planet is basically Earth but a virus killed all adults!" "This planet is basically Earth but America is the Roman Empire!" etc.

It's part of the broader symptom of "this planet is basically Earth but mumble mumble whatever sets were leftover from other shows this week".

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Added both of these to my list. In Captain Phillips when he's in shock after being rescued I was like :aaa:. Road to Perdition has my favorite Tom Hanks performance, but that scene is some of the most incredible acting I've ever seen.

It really is amazing. I thought the movie overall was sort of unremarkable (beyond Barkhad Abdi's performance) but that closing scene blew my mind and stayed with me for a long time afterwards.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
Watch up through Margot Martindale's first appearance (ep 4 I think?). That's when it begins to turn. If you're still not into it then it's ok you can just not like stuff.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

Franchescanado posted:

I agree that Bojack isn't a-laugh-a-minute type comedy, but Season 2's episode "Chickens" felt like writers saying, "Okay, let's just be a straight comedy one time," and it's hilarious. I've had friends that gave up on the show watch it and love it.

A straight comedy episode maybe but built on a very disturbing premise of how meat-consumption works in a world of anthropomorphic animals.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

So Netflix is getting into a bad habit of adding movies to streaming but not making it explicit in their DVD rentals which new releases are available for streaming. Used to be I could just scroll down my queue and see new additions with a nice little "STREAM" button next to them. First noticed this with Rams.

I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix is slowly but silently separating their streaming and DVD business. I can't imagine their reasons for wanting to do so changed just because the Internet had a poo poo fit when they tried it in the open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost

TychoCelchuuu posted:

At one point they even renamed the DVD service to "Qwikster" to make the separation more obvious. "Slowly but silently" is like the worst possible way to describe it. They yelled about it so loud that people laughed at them and they changed the name back to Netflix.

Guys, c'mon. It's like none of you read my post. This is what I'm referring to. They said "we're gonna seprate this out into 'Quixster'" and everyone flipped their poo poo and they walked it back. At that point there were no public plans to make them distinct lines of business and Netflix has been silent on the matter since then.

Over the last few years they've been de-emphasizing the DVD site, quietly rebranding the DVD portion, and now things like not syncing streaming status with the DVD queue. "Slowly but silently" is exactly how they're playing it.