Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So, talk to me a little about The Killing and Happy Valley. I'm about 10 episodes into S1 of The Killing and I like it though I find the political poo poo to be boring. I like the cast just fine, I just hope it pays off big in some way down the line. Do the later seasons improve or drop in quality?

I've only seen the first 2 episodes of Happy Valley and I quite like it. In this thread or another I saw a pretty strong positive non-spoiler reaction to the end of S1 so I guess that's a good sign. I think it was something like "FUuuuuuuuUUUUUUCK"

e: at least I hope that was a positive

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Now I'm very curious, and I'm a glutton for punishment, so...... See ya on the other side of S1!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hahaha, you're the killing me. I can't wait!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm hoping Happy Valley has a better reputation around here...

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
How is The Path? I like Hugh Dancy and cult poo poo, so I may give it a whirl if the word is good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Slandible posted:

Is Prison Break worth sticking all the way through? First season was good, but it's gone far south after starting season three.

It's dumb but it's a fun kind of dumb. Plus you may want to finish to get prepared for the revival that will air sometime in 2017 I think.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I just started Penny Dreadful last night and made it through the first three episodes. Fairly impressive as I typically don't like movies or TV that takes place much before the 1920s but I was glued to the screen. I hope it stays good throughout.

It does stay good :) Eva Green is a treasure.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 12, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Deliverance fun fact: Billy Redden, the actor that played Lonnie the Banjo Kid, works at the WalMart in Clayton, GA. I often pass through there on my way to go backpacking and have stopped at the store hoping to meet him. I haven't had any luck with that, but one of my hiking buddies has and said Billy is very nice and willing to sign autographs and answer questions about his experiences on the set. From what I've read he has no idea how to play the banjo, and the scenes with him "playing" the banjo were actually done with a real banjo player reaching around from behind Redden to play the instrument.

"Paddle faster!!"

isaboo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 13, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm gonna watch the gently caress out of Kalifornia because I love Brad Pitt's character to death. "Put yer titty up, Adele!"

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Oh drat, I'm definitely going to watch I'm Not There. I'm completely, totally, 10000% in love with Cate Blanchett and I especially like it when she plays notable figures.... Hepburn, Queen Elizabeth, etc so I'm sure I'll love her take on Dylan.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
What say ye all about Marcella on Netflix? I fell in love with Anna Friel as Chuck on Pushing Daisies and I love a good British crime thriller so it should be right up my alley.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Really digging Hulu's original series Chance with Hugh Laurie. Ethan Suplee does really good work given the right material and he fits well here, and it's nice to see Paul Adelstein (Agent Kellerman from Prison Break) again. That dude plays a smarmy rear end in a top hat very well.
Like another poster said, go into it blind and don't expect anything like House.

The 3rd season of the Netflix original The Fall starts at 12:01AM Saturday, and even though I think it's a bit weak for the serial killer genre I do quite enjoy looking at Gillian Anderson.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 28, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Angel Heart has been a favorite of mine since I saw it in the theater in '87 and it does indeed kick rear end. My favorite experience about that film was when one night at Blockbuster I convinced one of my super duper exceedingly evangelical Christian friends (I've been an atheist all my life) that it was a rom-com and that she would love it.
She flipped out at the first sight of Louis Cypher and didn't speak to me for a month. She still brings it up almost 30 years later but laughs about it now. Yes I was am an rear end in a top hat.

So yeah, watch that poo poo. Lisa Bonet so hot.

Seriously though, it is a really good film and Mickey Rourke is exceptional. In my English class in college I brought up the fan motif that is prevalent throughout the film and we all spent a couple of days talking about it. I'm totally going to read that 11000 word essay about it that someone linked earlier in the thread.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 31, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

fishtobaskets posted:

Into the Inferno is Herzog as gently caress.

I loved this poo poo. It's much more than just looking at volcanoes... the Ethiopia and North Korea segments were especially cool. I've been to a couple of the Indonesian locales featured in the film so that was a real treat for me. Herzog is a loving world treasure.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 2, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

coyo7e posted:

Richard Dreyfuss knocks it out of the park most of the time, so you should just IMDB him.

This is so true. One of my favorite actors of all time along with Gene Hackman. The only Dreyfuss thing I remember actively disliking is Krippendorf's Tribe.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

I met a lot of SHARPS and Actual Racist Skinheads in the 90s and seriously "red laces, black boots" just meant you were racist. Red and white laces for Boneheads, Purple laces for gay SHARPS, black laces for regular "I'm not racist" SHARPs, green laces for "I'm really into the environment" SHARPs, etc.

At one point there were a lot of people very concerned about shoelaces.

I think yellow was meant to signify general hatred in the hardcore racist skinhead crowd (i.e. The Dentists, The Ventz, White Boss, Skrewdriver) And let's not even get started on the color of suspenders.

I hated having to deal with those shitheads- I was a bouncer for many years at some pretty gnarly venues. I need to watch Green Room I guess.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 27, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just finished Green Room. The wife and I loved it... she played some Minor Threat after we were done watching it, the crazy bitch. Jeremy Saulnier is 2 for 2 in my book after this and Blue Ruin- can't wait to see what he does next.

Gonna miss seeing what Anton Yelchin would have become. I really took notice of him in Alpha Dog along with Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster, and loving Justin Timberlake. Goddamn I love that movie.

Hell, even Odd Thomas (still on Netflix afaik) was watchable thanks to Anton... and after smoking a couple of bowls. The CG and voiceover sucked though.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 27, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I enjoyed Ben Foster in Pandorum and he is in the new Inferno flick with Tom Hanks so at least he's in a big title though the reviews haven't been great and I haven't seen it anyway.

Bully and Hell or High Water look cool, gonna give those a look.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Blind Rasputin posted:

Hey this new movie on Netflix called Spectral is rad as gently caress.

I was gonna ask about that one. The cast looks pretty good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Ugly In The Morning posted:

On an unrelated note ,Terriers is still on Netflix and is also still one of the most perfectly made TV shows of all time.

This is so true and every time I see it in my queue (every day) I get so goddamn mad that it wasn't renewed

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just binged through The OA which premiered on Netflix today.

Really gripping in some parts but off the wall silly in others and I can see the ending pissing lots of people off. Go into it blind i guess.

Not sure yet if i hated the whole of it overall but it certainly was a thing. :stare:

isaboo fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 17, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Inspector Hound posted:

I want to like The OA but i can't shake the feeling it was written by someone whose kid is an iredeemable piece of poo poo

I thought the first episode was really good but about around episode 4 it really started to weaken and just got more and more corny from there. There's very little development for a couple of what should be more important characters and some really unnecessary scenes The second scientist researching the NDEs. Wtf?! Came out of nowhere and added nothing. I watched it through to the end because I'm a glutton for punishment and I can't help but feel a really good premise was just totally wasted and the ending was just bleh, really? .

isaboo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 17, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Barely made it through the first episode of Travelers. Bad pacing, horrible dialogue. Not watching any more of this as I feel it's probably gonna be worse than The OA

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
After initially barely making it through the first episode and not really caring to see any more, I gave Travelers another chance and I really like it. Just watched the episode featuring the team's primary mission and was surprised to see a pretty exciting concept there. All of the team members are drat cool but Marcy and Trevor are the best. It's no Continuum or 12 Monkeys but I'm enjoying it overall.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

ChickenMedium posted:

Encino Man holds up because it's not a Pauly Shore movie, he's just in it. Go down a Brendan Fraser or Sean Astin rabbit hole instead.

Brendan Fraser has had such a frustrating (for me) career. I liked The Mummy and he was great in Gods And Monsters and The Quiet American. Monkeybone , Bedazzled (Elizabeth Hurley :swoon:) and Blast From the Past were fun but everything else he has done has just been kinda bleh.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 7, 2017

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Watched Dope on Netflix. Holy poo poo, what a fantastic film. Loved the caper plot, humor, soundtrack... everything.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Gangs of New York is on Amazon Prime and you fuckers need to watch that poo poo post haste. Daniel Day Lewis firing on all cylinders is such a joy to watch.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
re: Leo DiCaprio flicks I loving love The Beach not because it's any good but rather because of Tilda Swinson. I find her strangely attractive. It's definitely one of my guilty pleasure movies.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
^^ that scene was the one that made my wife and I decide we needed to binge Patriot and with 3 episodes left we've loved every second so far.

The entire cast is good but Kurtwood Smith is just killing it, and John's songs are brilliant

Also the episode in which John puts the guy in the backpack was gold :getin:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My favorite part of GBBS is Sue Perkins.

I haven't watched an episode of GBBS yet but I added it to my queue as soon as I saw her name. Always love her on QI

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
What's the name of the Korean film in which a guy lives on a small island in the middle of a river, makes shelter out of stuff he finds, grows food and communicates from afar with a girl that lives in an apt building on the mainland?

Really wanna see that one again.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yes! Really beautiful and touching film and surprisingly funny and romantic.
I'll watch Tom Hanks' Castaway whenever it is on, but Castaway on The Moon shits all over the former in every way.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 26, 2017

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Is Rectify on any steaming services?

Yep, all 4 seasons are on Netflix.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Like Legion, Patriot is most definitely worthy of an immediate binge if you have not seen it already.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Things I've learned lately from this thread:

* GLOW is really, really good

* I get Brie Larson and Alison Brie mixed up. Also I confused Gillian Jacobs with both of them. I am dumb.

* Spam wusubi is delicious

* coyo7e has a sad and undeveloped palate

isaboo fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 28, 2017

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So Okja is directed by Joon-ho Bong and stars the bewilderingly and oddly attractive Tilda Swinton?! Sign me up right the gently caress now. Gonna watch the hell out of this one.

My wife does not understand my attraction to Swinton but goddamn I have been in love with her since The Beach and of course Michael Clayton.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

A MIRACLE posted:

What does any of this have to do with Spam

Hello friend. Might I direct you to this post of mine in the sardine thread and this recipe.

Netflix related- does anyone else absolutely love The Finder? This is one of those cancelled shows like Terriers that deserved another season at least imo. I really like Geoff Stults and of course Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP) and it's got just the right amount of quirky. Much like
Stults' other cancelled-too-soon show Enlisted. Goddammit stop cancelling shows like this! :argh:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

Jackie Earl Haley's plotlines in season 1 were amazing. WHICH ONE'S MY DAUGHTER AND WHICH ONE'S A COW??

If you want more Joseph Gilgnun you should really watch This Is England. You should be able to still watch it on the BBC website.

whoa, Jackie is in Preacher? I never made it past the first 3 episodes or so. Gonna give it another shot.

Also, sweet new avatar you have there, Precision. Best show of the year IMO

Speaking of True Blood, Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette) died. RIP

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ha, I've been meaning to ask you fuckers about The Stanford Prison Experiment. Definitely gonna watch that one if it has your endorsement.

As for Patriot, Michael Dorman is absolutely perfect as "sad man in a suit". Dude can sing pretty well too. He's also up there as one of the best to deliver a simple "gently caress.", which he does quite a lot. Also, Cool Rick owns. Goddamn what a fantastic show. If any of you haven't seen it, binge that poo poo posthaste.

Also the theme song introduced me to Vashti Bunyan's music. Love it.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I finished Goliath last night and really dug it all. While I didn't care much for the Patti character at first, she really grew on me and the actress really nailed the role. Looking forward to season 2... there will be another, right?

With this one and Patriot Amazon is really starting to compete with Netflix for good original content.

Working my way through Bosch season 1 now.