Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

That Works posted:

What do ya'll think of Black Sails? I have the Starz subscription added on to Amazon Prime and am curious if it's worth checking out.

This show will be the deciding factor on whether or not I add the Starz subscription so I'm curious too. The gist I've gotten (which is oddly similar to Spartacus) is that the first few episodes contain all the stereotypes you'd expect from the subject matter, then the show gets more character-driven after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

That Works posted:

What do ya'll think of Black Sails? I have the Starz subscription added on to Amazon Prime and am curious if it's worth checking out.

I got Starz for a month, and binged every episode in a month or so. Overall I really liked it, and I will get Starz again when the new season starts. To be clear it is not HBO level, but it is the favorite thing I have watched on Starz outside of Spartacus. Like Spartacus there are a lot of things you have to overlook, but if you do it sure is fun.

Also you do know that Black Sails is a prequel to Treasure Island? There is no official prequel, so they are making it up as they go. if you have even a slight interest in pirates it is worth it.

Edit: I was trying to be clearer before I got quoted. Sorry.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 10, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nate fisher posted:

I got Starz for a month, and binged every episode in a month or so. Overall I really liked it, and I will get Starz again when the new season starts. To be clear it is not HBO level, but it the favorite thing I have watched on Starz outside of Spartacus. If you have even a slight interest in pirates it is worth it.

Also you do know that Black Sails is a prequel to Treasure Island?

I didn't know that!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

That Works posted:

I didn't know that!

Not to get too spoiler, but there is an overall story arch about a certain character's rise. Knowing what happens in Treasure Island makes it a little more fun.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

GonSmithe posted:

I also really loved Lost River but it's definitely not for everyone.

Lost River is like a dark fairy tale about crippling poverty.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nate fisher posted:

Not to get too spoiler, but there is an overall story arch about a certain character's rise. Knowing what happens in Treasure Island makes it a little more fun.

I recognized a name from Treasure Island, but just kinda thought it was a hat tip to the story. Cool.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

K. Waste posted:

K, church, what am I streaming tonight?

Netflix options
- The Sting (1973)

HBO Options
- Black Mass (2015)
- Jem and the Holograms (2015)

The Sting is hands down a top 20 all time movie. possibly top 10.

Black Mass is technically very good, but tedious and uninteresting as a narrative.

Jem and the Holograms is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I was sneakily hoping it would be as self-aware and undercover-smart as Josie and the Pussycats from a decade ago, but no dice.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

K. Waste posted:

Netflix options
- Life (2015)
- A War (2015)
- Cemetery of Splendour (2015)
- The Big Short (2015)
- Da Sweet Blood of Jesus (2014)
- The Sting (1973)

HBO Options
- Black Mass (2015)
- Suffragette (2015)
- Lost River (2014)
I would definitely encourage you to watch Cemetery of Splendour in the near future.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Malloreon posted:

The Sting is hands down a top 20 all time movie. possibly top 10.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

K. Waste posted:

Netflix options
- Life (2015)
- A War (2015)
- Cemetery of Splendour (2015)
- The Big Short (2015)
- Da Sweet Blood of Jesus (2014)
- The Sting (1973)

HBO Options
- Black Mass (2015)
- Suffragette (2015)
- Lost River (2014)

The Big Short and The Sting

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The Big Short is the perfect movie to show your friends when explaining how everything got hosed up, but I don't know how I feel about it as a movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Junkie Disease posted:

Terminator Gyniesus is unsafe at any speed.

Truly the worst decision I've made in the last month

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

The Big Short is the perfect movie to show your friends when explaining how everything got hosed up, but I don't know how I feel about it as a movie.

It had a lot of great performances. I thought Christian Bale stole the spotlight and really nailed the character with all the weird tics, but everyone that I discussed it with kept talking about Steve Carell stealing the show.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

I feel pretty much the same way. I thought all the individual performances were solid, and it's an important story to tell, but the pacing felt a little weird and the narrative arc fizzled more than it should have. Compare it to Spotlight, which had similar strengths, but also presented a taut, tense narrative and a denouement that left me crying in the theater.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Is Prison Break worth sticking all the way through? First season was good, but it's gone far south after starting season three.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Slandible posted:

Is Prison Break worth sticking all the way through? First season was good, but it's gone far south after starting season three.

SEason 4 is a heist if I recall correctly

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

fishtobaskets posted:

I feel pretty much the same way. I thought all the individual performances were solid, and it's an important story to tell, but the pacing felt a little weird and the narrative arc fizzled more than it should have. Compare it to Spotlight, which had similar strengths, but also presented a taut, tense narrative and a denouement that left me crying in the theater.

I felt the same as well. I liked the individual characters and scenes but some of the 4th wall breaking narrative stuff (Margot Robbie random cameo) just felt unnecessary and like they were trying to make the movie "different" just for the sake of being different. It didn't add anything to the story or plot (which were both very good). Felt like a clumsy director decision that probably should have had an editor remove.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

I felt the same as well. I liked the individual characters and scenes but some of the 4th wall breaking narrative stuff (Margot Robbie random cameo) just felt unnecessary and like they were trying to make the movie "different" just for the sake of being different. It didn't add anything to the story or plot (which were both very good). Felt like a clumsy director decision that probably should have had an editor remove.

I liked those scenes. They were always delivered during the most dense part of the exposition, and were used to define terms and factors that I wasn't aware of, so it provided a tongue-in-cheek break that added information. Margot Robbie just happened to be the pretty face they chose (and now she's everywhere).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slandible posted:

Michael Rappaport is a manic delight in the final season. Check him out at least.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 11, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Slandible posted:

It's dumb but it's a fun kind of dumb. Plus you may want to finish to get prepared for the revival that will air sometime in 2017 I think.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Prison Break season 3 was kinda weak but I thought it was OK and then picked back up during season 4.

I just started Penny Dreadful last night and made it through the first three episodes. Fairly impressive as I typically don't like movies or TV that takes place much before the 1920s but I was glued to the screen. I hope it stays good throughout.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 12, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I liked those scenes. They were always delivered during the most dense part of the exposition, and were used to define terms and factors that I wasn't aware of, so it provided a tongue-in-cheek break that added information. Margot Robbie just happened to be the pretty face they chose (and now she's everywhere).

What bugged me was that they already had a narrator, they could have done the explanation easily enough with just that. Instead it was a complete segue to something else that had no bearing on the story to explain something that did. Just seemed a bit silly and hamfisted.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I just started Penny Dreadful last night and made it through the first three episodes. Fairly impressive as I typically don't like movies or TV that takes place much before the 1920s but I was glued to the screen. I hope it stays good throughout.

It does stay good :) Eva Green is a treasure.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 12, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

pahuyuth posted:

It does stay good :) Eva Green is a treasure.

Everyone's always clamoring about some kind of premium TV miniseries that adapts some Alan Moore comic and I feel that PD does it as well as it's possible to.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

That Works posted:

What bugged me was that they already had a narrator, they could have done the explanation easily enough with just that. Instead it was a complete segue to something else that had no bearing on the story to explain something that did. Just seemed a bit silly and hamfisted.

The Margot Robbie scene in particular felt like a self-conscious pop culture nod to Wolf of Wall Street, which also featured jarring segues, breaking the 4th wall, and Margot Robbie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I just noticed that Deliverance is on Netflix. If you haven't seen it or think you know it through cultural osmosis, you should fix that as soon as possible. Deliverance is so much more than Dueling Banjos and "squeal like a pig" and it deserves to be seen in full by many people.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Watched The Big Short. Kinda felt like Spotlight mashed up with Wolf of Wall Street, for better or worse. I enjoyed it quite a bit overall.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Comparing The Big Short to either Spotlight or The Wolf of Wall Street really doesn't do justice to the stylish hackie-ness of it.

It's really a lot more like other 'print the legend' movies, 24 Hour Party People, Party Monster, Experimenter, the latter two also being rather 'not great.'

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, The Big Short felt extremely similar to 24 Hour Party People, and because of that I found it really quite enjoyable. It rides really close to the smug, fourth wall breaking YouTube mashup video style though, which would probably turn some people off.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Man, I still can't get over how bad the subtitles for The IT Crowd are. Two or three times per episode there will be an "(unintelligible)", when what is being said can be understood pretty clearly. And for the whole episode featuring the "Cuke" brand name gag, the subtitles just said "Coke" every time.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Also subtitles straight-up ruin the timing in comedies as well as (most) horror movies.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Slandible posted:

I remember it picking up a bit but it's been a while. It was fun watching the brothers ham it up in season 1 of The Flash, and I can only hope that in season 2 they get to break the clockmaker guy, aka T Bag, out of prison. That would be one hell of a reunion party.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

I remember it picking up a bit but it's been a while. It was fun watching the brothers ham it up in season 1 of The Flash, and I can only hope that in season 2 they get to break the clockmaker guy, aka T Bag, out of prison. That would be one hell of a reunion party.

They're on some other superhero show where they do time-travel heists or something, possibly as the same characters. It seems to have much of the Prison Break vibe.

How did they get Sarah Wayne Callies back after having her character get decapitated between seasons? They went public with saying it was because she wanted time off to give birth to her child , which seems kind of lovely to do and say.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I just noticed that Deliverance is on Netflix. If you haven't seen it or think you know it through cultural osmosis, you should fix that as soon as possible. Deliverance is so much more than Dueling Banjos and "squeal like a pig" and it deserves to be seen in full by many people.

Agreed. Some of the scenes that aren't as famous blew me away when I watched it all the way through for the first time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

comingafteryouall posted:

Agreed. Some of the scenes that aren't as famous blew me away when I watched it all the way through for the first time.

I'm pretty sure 90% of the time when I make references to Deliverance, I'm the only one who's actually seen it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Deliverance fun fact: Billy Redden, the actor that played Lonnie the Banjo Kid, works at the WalMart in Clayton, GA. I often pass through there on my way to go backpacking and have stopped at the store hoping to meet him. I haven't had any luck with that, but one of my hiking buddies has and said Billy is very nice and willing to sign autographs and answer questions about his experiences on the set. From what I've read he has no idea how to play the banjo, and the scenes with him "playing" the banjo were actually done with a real banjo player reaching around from behind Redden to play the instrument.

"Paddle faster!!"

isaboo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 13, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

comingafteryouall posted:

You mean every scene showing Burt Reynold's sexy chest-hair

Which came first, Convoy or Deliverance, when it comes to heart-throb actors in vests?

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Which came first, Convoy or Deliverance, when it comes to heart-throb actors in vests?

Cool Hand Luke was surely a decade before

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just finished The Big Short. I didn't...not like it? And I guess I learned some stuff. It wasn't bad.

Steve Carrell is pretty good and you can easily forget it's him acting, but Christian Bale is just on another level of acting but you can still see him as him. If that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

donquixotic posted:

Cool Hand Luke was surely a decade before
Paul Newman was an amazingly sexy guy without a vest but kristofferson and Reynolds were more of the hairy chest flash on the pan type.

I'd pay money to see Justin Bieber as Rubber Duck in a Convoy remake.

But watch Long, Hot Summer.