Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I just received an email notifying me that Robocop 2014 was just added. What's the general consensus on it? The pg-13 rating is off-putting considering the content of the originals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Mash posted:

Netflix just got Let's Be Cops and I enjoyed it, a solid 7/10. Then again I'd watch anything with Jake Johnson and Damon Wayons Jr. in it so :shrug:

American Netflix? It's only giving me suggestions based on Let's Be Cops.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Netflix is a goldmine for indie and foreign genre films.

Hulu Plus has tons of foreign movies also.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I received an email today from Hulu for a Michael Bay series called The Last Ship. Has anyone here watched it? I know... I know... Michael Bay, but I love Bad Boys 1&2 and Pain and Gain. IMDB says 7.3, but I've seen some 6.x stuff that is better than 8.x-rated shows.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Currently in the middle of the original Assault on Precinct 13 and I really like it. Not much dialog, but the Carpenter score makes up for it.

Also watched a movie called Favor on Hulu that turned out to be OK for a low/no budget thriller.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Now it looks like Hulu on the Wii.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The Wrath of Kahn is the movie that terrified me as a kid after seeing it in the theater. I'd flip out anytime a bug got near my ear thinking it would crawl into my ear and eat my brain.

Buckaroo Banzai might be a good one for nostalgic purposes if it's still streaming. I loved that movie when I saw it in the theater.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Currently watching Three Kings after sitting in my queue for months after a few mentions of it in this thread. Really like it so far and wish I'd watched it sooner.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

david_a posted:

The first episode was clearly the worst. Much too outlandish to be taken seriously, especially when you consider it's a stodgy British politician.

The first episode was not very outlandish if you have been reading the news lately.

Yaws posted:

I just click on the little Prime icon on the side and all the videos that pop up are ones you can stream without paying. What are you talking about?

Same.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Arrow is schlocky trash but is also fun and good. I've been binging it lately.

I love Arrow for the same reason. It's good in the same sense that the 60s Batman is good. I haven't been able to make it through an episode of the Flash, though. It's just boring, imho.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 16, 2015

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

NESguerilla posted:

Taken 3 looks terrible, but is is fun terrible or unwatchable? The first one was kind of s guilty pleasure.

It's on HBO at the moment.

My wife and I rented it awhile back at Redbox when Comcast went out because some dipshit in our addition put in new landscaping, cut the line and killed cable on one side of the street for 3-4 days. There are a lot worse ways to spend an hour and a half, but it isn't nearly as entertaining as Taken. Especially when we did a double-feature with Kingsmen: The Secret Service which is a pretty fun watch.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

drunken officeparty posted:

Honestly it's news to me that "gay" is even a genre of movies at all

I'm guessing you don't have Hulu because that is literally one of the genres.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Doctor Butts posted:

I didn't even know half of the good movies on that list that are leaving, were even on the list.

That's how I always feel. I think it's because I browse the catalog and stream via devices (Roku, PS3, Wii, and LG G4) that suck at showing the catalog. I need to get on my pc and actually add a bunch of movies to my queue. I did that once and found a bunch of 70s horror and exploitation movies that I had no idea were on there otherwise.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Has anyone watched Mad Dogs all the way through? I'm going into episode 6 tonight but not sure I want to continue. The pilot hit the ground running, but it's been steadily downhill since then.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Just got an email about 12 Monkeys on Hulu. Being a Syfy show, I'm guessing it falls between mediocre and horrible. Anyone watched it?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Parachute posted:

Hey, Backseat Modding Meltdown Guy, maybe next time when you make the post you can do exactly what you just said.

Or, better yet, just stop being such a weird petulant baby about inconsequential poo poo.

Now I remember why he's on my ignore list... autism.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I was happy to see Animaniacs pop up, but it looks like it was ripped from an old box of VHS tapes someone found in their parents' attic.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Wheeee posted:

an ageless Gillian Anderson.

My wife and I watched season one of The Fall and all of Blue Collar and I think both Gillian Anderson and Tiffany Thiessen sold their souls or something. Both look better now than in the 90s.

I've been thinking about starting The Path but is it just about the struggle with the cult or does the cult aspect just lead to the poo poo hitting the fan at some point? The IMDB description just sound like the whole series is a man's daily struggle between "cults are good" and "cults are bad".

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

outy posted:

It only matters because you won't pay an extra couple of bucks a month.

Smartflix sounds cool until I realize that I don't have an HTPC and since I'm not a millenial, I don't want to watch stuff on a laptop screen 1/15 the size of my TV.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Sandler needs to be the wise-cracking crime boss in Bad Boys 3 with Bay at the helm with plenty of poo poo blowing up.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Jack Gladney posted:

Everyone should watch Rock and Roll Nightmare and Zombie Nightmare. The other Rock and Roll Nightmare is, uh, really something. I'm not sure that it's a movie, but it's something.

We really need those little flags showing the country we're from like some forums have so that we can identify movies that aren't on our country's Netflix especially since their cracking down on VPNs, etc.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

NESguerilla posted:

Is wayward pines worth watching at all?

I liked season 1 and kind of wished they'd just left it at that. I bailed on season 2 after a couple episodes because it revolves around Ben Burke and he's probably my least favorite character (it might be his incredibly punchable face).

I'm really looking forward to Stranger Things. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Prison Break season 3 was kinda weak but I thought it was OK and then picked back up during season 4.

I just started Penny Dreadful last night and made it through the first three episodes. Fairly impressive as I typically don't like movies or TV that takes place much before the 1920s but I was glued to the screen. I hope it stays good throughout.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 12, 2016

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

precision posted:

A Scanner Darkly is a goddamn masterpiece, ya jerks.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Think of it this way: The creators were drawing from their own childhood, which is fitting in a show that's a homage to Stephen King's It and Stand By Me.

Yeah, why do people hate the 80s so much? If the story is good, who cares what decade it's set in.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I've only seen the first season, but I'd say 3-4 episodes in it gets much better.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Yeah, back when I first subscribed to Netflix in 2010, the horror selection was pretty decent but you have to wade through a sea of crap to find the few treasures they have.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah it was super forgettable but I remember enjoying it enough.

The only memorable part was the Eminem interview.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

A little late for Halloween, but if you're looking for some campy 80s horror and have Hulu, check out Intruder. Somehow I'd never heard of it, but it's a decent slasher that takes place in a grocery store after hours. Bruce Campbell and both Ted and Sam Raimi are in it along with one of the girls from Sleepaway Camp.

Although I thought it was good overall, it contains possibly the worst fight scene ever recorded on film.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It was cleaned up for the Blu-Ray release. Is it in HD on Hulu?

No. It looked OK, but wasn't HD.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Timby posted:

Studios would never allow that.

Only place I've seen it is on the Shout Factory channel. However, they have two versions of the movie so it's either or. No control over shutting it off, etc.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Because it's an amazing movie?

For anybody reading this: the next time you watch Burn After Reading, do it with the fact that Brad Pitt's character is illiterate in mind.

I think this and Pitt's role in 12 Monkeys are my favorites of his.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I tried to watch the Night Manager last night and couldn't do it. Not sure what I was expecting, but I thought it was boring as hell and couldn't bring myself to watch the second episode.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

This is a little specific, but anyone know of any horror, action or sci-fi movies streaming on Amazon, Hulu or Netflix where people are trapped in a building, ship, spaceship, etc.?

A few random examples I can think of:

Intruder (1989)
Cube
Alien
Event Horizon
Descent
Saw and sequels
Deep Rising
Green Room
Devil
Frozen (stuck on ski lift, not Disney)
Some (German?) Alien rip-off with lots of sex that was on Hulu for a long time

Hell, even The Glass House or Panic Room.

Would prefer good or so-bad-its-good (like the Alien rip-off) suggestions. I just like movies where the characters are trapped in some way.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

No I haven't. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Started marathoning The Magicians last night on Netflix and it's pretty good. I've never read the source material so I don't have any opinion on how close it is to the books, but the show is entertaining.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Perestroika posted:

I kind of dropped the books when furry sex/rape started becoming a recurring theme, so chances are some distance from the source material is probably for the best.

Oh....... :stonk: Hoping it strays from the book quite a bit.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I haven't either. Not set in a period of time I'm interested in.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

coyo7e posted:

It's bad. Kinda funny but bad. Got 2/3 through and went to bed. Didn't care what happened. But hey its Dominic Purcell Manu Bennett or whatever

Also, the explosion effects look like the ones used on ATHF and while I don't mind breasts, there were times I kept wondering why people were just sitting around topless.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Trying to figure out why I've never watched Longmire before now. Great show so far!