Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It's been on Amazon for a while now, but The Rover popped up on Netflix and you should check it out if you haven't already. A low-key post-apocalyptic western with Robert Pattinson and Guy Pearce. It's the kind of movie where the characters wear ratty sneakers and t-shirts as opposed to boots and leather jackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Tainen posted:

I feel like this is a movie most people will hate but I just finished Cure For Wellness and thought it was very creepy and was beautifully shot. It’s streaming on HBO.

The basic premise is that a man is sent by his company to retrieve a coworker from a recovery clinic in the Swiss Alps and as it turns out everything there is not on the up and up.

I agree that this was beautifully shot, but the story is extremely well trod ground and the 2 hour 30 minute runtime is completely unjustified.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I get wanting to watch something to want to form your own opinion, but this is basically watching kids line up to put their hand on the hot stove to see if it will also burn them. Like each of you are describing how your hand is burnt very well, but it's weird when a new kid tries.

LOL dude what's with the histrionics? It's a TV show from proven talents that has been getting mixed reviews.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

For as much as everyone seems to hate the Blair Witch reboot, I actually thought it was pretty spooky and I liked it more than the original which never really made much of an impact on me, despite seeing it in theaters right when it came out and a bunch of dopes thought it was real. The characters in the reboot are abysmal but I actually thought it was pretty good as a horror movie.

Yeah I really liked this one too, I thought it was very effective. People hated it for some reason.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Spring Breakers owns and is basically Bully (2001) + Miami Vice (2006), two more movies that own.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

mother! was too stressful for me, I had to turn it off around 30 minutes in.

The River Wild, on Netflix is a pretty good 90's thriller movie starring Kevin Bacon as a bank robber on the run who takes Meryl Streep's family hostage while they're on a whitewater rafting trip.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

So Black Panther is fine. People are seriously talking about it as a possible Best Picture nominee/winner?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

If anybody wants to see a good as hell 70's action thriller, Mr. Majestyk is streaming on Prime. It stars Charles Bronson as a bad rear end melon farmer (literally) who goes to war with escaped convict Al Lettieri and his henchmen (and the police department, and some small time local hoods). It's got a great car chase, a righteous soundtrack, and was clearly an influence on Tarantino.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

The Apostle is like practically every other Netflix original movie. All the right ingredients are there but it never really cooks up into anything special. It just feels Netflix-y.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I don't know what the process for Netflix Originals is, but Christopher McQuarrie is very open about how he works with the studio and tests and re-tests and re-tests his movies and even if he disagrees with the studio or test audience notes, he'll sit down and examine why he might be getting those notes and is always willing to try to figure out what isn't working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm looking for a horror movie on netflix
- with a supernatural monster
- that isn't a zombie or a ghost or some other bullshit that could be accomplished by putting an extra in make-up
- recent-ish
- not complete trash
- leaning more towards serious than horror-comedy

Something like The Ritual, Borderlands / Final Prayer, Spring, or even the rubber-suit antics of something like The Monster would qualify, but I've seen all of those.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a monster in Apostle? I think that one fits all your criteria.