Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Devil's Pass is worth a watch if you can still handle found footage horror. I thought the setting was pretty good and entertaining. Some decently creepy sound design too. I'd recommend watching with a good pair of headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watched Honeymoon last night and I'd say avoid it. It really just went nowhere.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

This showed a four star rating, and horror movies above 3 are usually hard to find so that is the only reason I watched it. It was supremely disappointing story wise, but it was fairly suspenseful and the actors did ok. Mostly though it was boring, boring, maddening, and then BAM body horror scene out of nowhere and then worthless ending (minus the anchor scene).

Yeah that's pretty much it in a nutshell. I could have forgiven some of it's other flaws since it had it's moments, but the ending was just so unbelievably lame it made the whole movie feel like a waste of an hour and a half.

Also, I watched it for the same reason heh.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 20, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The temporary pull down got me to finally get around and watch peep show in order. I'm in season 5 right now and It's seriously gotta be one of the funniest shows ever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gerdalti posted:

Finished Season 2 of Bates Motel tonight, and it's really quite good. Dark, and a bit predictable, but still quite good.

Can you try to sell me on this? I keep hearing it's good but the concept sounds really bad and I can't bring myself to watch it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Just noticed Housebound got added to Netflix

Yes! I kept almost renting this on demand but figured it would be up soon. I hear it's great.

Thanks for the recs on Bates Motel people. Going to start that up soon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The cover of "The Fluffy movie" makes me irrationally angry.

Edit: also just found out from that Crystal Skulls special that Netflix uploaded that it's a real thing people believe in after watching the episode of Peep Show last night with them. I seriously thought that was something they made up as a joke for the show.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 23, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Housebound is pretty rad. It's all over the place in a good way. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially anyone who likes Sam Raimi.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

"Franchescanado" posted:

I was thinking of making a list of horror movies up on streaming since it's a new thread. Would anyone be interested, or should I spend my time doing something else?

I would.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Oh American Mary. I really don't like excessive gore, but that movie is just so loving weird I actually enjoyed it...and I felt really ashamed afterwards.

I avoided watching it for quite a while because the cover made it look way campier than it actually is. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is weird as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I want to see Kevin Sorbo play a smug atheist that gets owned by a thoughtful Christian.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hm. Never heard of it.so the second one is worth watching though? It seems to have decent reviews.

E: oh it's not on Netflix nm

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched half of the first half of the first episode of HOC probably 5 times over the last few years. I don't know why I never get around to watching it. I'm sure I'll like it, but the premise doesn't interest me that much. One of these days though...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the iceman worth a watch?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hm. How about Young Ones? I wouldn't mind watching some Michael Shannon tonight but that ones got pretty meh reviews too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sold. Thanks!

Edit: It's got the kid from he Road in it. He must have a real apocalyptic look about him.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 1, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every time I see Ken Marino in something's get excited until I realize he's a bit character and usually cast as a d bag.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Guy Young was not a bit character!

True. He still kind of fit in the sense that ken Marino tends to pop in for a season or a few episodes of a show and get cast as a D bag. He kind of just had the same kind of deal on Togetherness. I miss his lovable self on Party Down.

At least he got to be funny on Eastbound, his character on togetherness didn't really get to do anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watched the first episode of Bates motel and it's pretty drat entertaining. For some weird reason I thought it was some NBC evening show, so the rape scene kind of came out of nowhere.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If comedy sounds good, I just finished Peep Show and it was one of the funniest shows I've ever watched.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mr. stefan posted:

The X-Files is a great show if you remove basically everything involving the core mystery. The cockroach and two-faced monster episodes are both fantastic.

I suffered through all the conspiracy episodes when I was a kid in the hopes that the next one would be a one off. I always thought the main story was so boring. Luckily, I think about half the episodes are self contained and worth watching if I remember right. Should be fairly easy to filter out the crap with Netflix descriptions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah totally. The lack of payoff ruined it. Mysteries that don't get resolved in a reasonable time just start to irritate and bore the poo poo out of me very quickly. Same reason I thought Lost was garbage and quit watching it in the second season.

Interesting that Vince Gilligan went on to make Breaking Bad which IMO has a perfect balance of "whats going to happen next!?" and satisfying resolve.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The intro to the ABC's of death 2 is incredibly off putting. I'm not expecting Citizen Kane out of this but creepy girl singing "la la la la" with a xylophone banging in the background seriously?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kimmy Schmidt isn't my style of comedy at all, but it seems pretty good for what it is. Still pretty entertaining.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AKMoose posted:

The director's follow-up, Alps, is also well worth watching for Dogtooth fans--the actress who plays the female lead in Dogtooth repeats.

Fake edit: To the questioner, have a nice vacation. :)

Nice. Dogtooth was really good. I'll have to check that out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are there any sites renting It Follows? I was gonna go see it today until I realized it's only playing in NY and Hollywood. Seems like one of those movies that would have a streaming release but I'm not seeing anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ah. Thanks :cool:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished both seasons of Bates Motel. Can't say I was as fond of it as a lot of the thread. It was moderately entertaining, but overall just seems like a pretty mediocre show. it felt like a WB teen show with a lot more rape to me.

Also, my god that show had some of the worst making out/sex scenes, and the loud sloppy kissing noises were like nails on a chalkboard.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Heh, I was just watching groundhog day and didn't realize a teenage Michael Shannon was in it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He was like, heroin thin when he was young.

Yeah, with a weirdly high voice as well. Dude's balls must have dropped when he turned 30.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm actually sort of impressed at how off the mark my top picks are. I've had Netflix since before streaming was around, watched and rated hundreds of things, and they still find a way to make a list of only things I actively dislike or have zero interest in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I thought it was some weird glitch that the loving Ralphie May special was always recommended with the one star rating. I even tried watching it, hated it, rated it one star, and Netflix is still telling me to watch it.

Yeah it's funny that they are pretty good at predicting star ratings and don't use it in any useful way. My top picks are pretty much nothing but Family guy related stuff, really bad Spike TV reality shows, bad standup comedians, and Law and order type stuff.

90% of what I watch on Netflix is Drama and Indie Horror. Two genres it has never recommended to me once. It's kind of just a silly thing, but I would honestly love a good top picks section. I can find 5 or 6 things on my own that I wan't to watch every time I'm browsing. It would be kind of nice if Netflix started using the information I've been giving them for probably 9 years to find some of them for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Aziz ansari's Netflix branded MSG show was fun. One of the funniest bits is actually a brief bit of crowd work. Comedy is of course in the eye of the beholder but I think he's fine.

Yeah I thought it was pretty hit or miss. That bit was great though. Some of the stuff about cell phones was pretty good even if it was really safe. Some of his stories were really rambley and lead up to the lamest punchlines though. The poo poo about Ja Rule was pure :wtf:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Cable Guy is a pretty good, weird movie and I don't know why it got panned so much when it came out. Watching it again I can only assume it was too dark for what people wanted out of Jim Carey at the time?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GORDON posted:

Does Portlandia ever get any better? I have watched the first five eps of the first season, and as much as I enjoy watching hippies and hipsters get mocked, the show barely makes me smile from time to time.

I think it's pretty funny, but I think ymmv depending on how much time you have spent around the types of people that they lampoon irl. Practically every character is a spot on parody of someone I've known or run into over the years which is 90% of what makes it funny to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

Have you seen Honeymoon? I'm not big on it personally, but it might be up your alley.

Man. I'm gonna say it's probably not worth the risk. lovely, extremely unsatisfying, boring movie.

Glad more people are watching Housebound because it's fantastic. For all of the hype Babadook and It Follows are getting, it's kind of lame Housebound slipped under the radar because it's by far the best of the three.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

alansmithee posted:

Haven't seen It Follows but imo Babadook is quite a bit better than Housebound. That said I think they try to do very different things and both are worth seeing, definitely.

Yeah different strokes for different folks. Housebound just felt more original to me and Babadook felt like something that I've seen a bunch of times before. They are both good and absolutely worth watching though.

Might just take a chance of VHS 3. I thought the first two were garbage but pretty entertaining. Was 3 even in theaters or was it a straight to VOD thing? poo poo, come to think of it I don't even know if 1 or 2 were in theaters.

Edit: is Hell any good? If not, any other lesser known apocalyptic stuff worth watching on Netflix?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 3, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

forever whatever posted:

Tusk is on Amazon Prime. I can't really put into words how awful this film is and it actually makes me sort of giddy that Kevin Smith is allowed to keep embarrassing himself this badly. It is truly an unmitigated shitbomb.

I had zero expectations going into this and I still couldn't believe how bad it was. Kevin Smith has to be the luckiest, most untalented man in show business.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You mean to say he hadn't been smoking weed since high school?

No, he just recently started smoking weed and became some sort of pot authority believe it or not. I only know this because a radio show I like relentlessly makes fun of him. Otherwise, I would have assumed the same.

There really are no words for how bad Tusk is. I'd almost say it's worth watching to gawk at. You can read the stupid synopsis and get the general idea, but watching it is the only way to get an idea of how bad the characters are and their stupid podcast (yes it's about podcasters) or the completely cringe inducing romance sub plot.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, what is wrong with Flight of the Concords? that show was great.