Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Just noticed Housebound got added to Netflix

New Zealand horror-comedy. Good stuff.

Thanks for this recommendation, I loved it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Chichevache posted:

It gets a bit wacky at times, but Confession of Murder may be the most unrelentingly hosed up Korean thriller I have seen. Everything is set up beautifully, so I didn't actually have any trouble suspending my disbelief. The fights and chases are absolutely fantastic. There is one scene that uses some slightly noticeable CGI, but the scale of the scene is so impressive it is hard for me to fault them for it. Cinematography and transitions that are on the level of Park Chan-wook as well.

If you enjoyed Yellow Sea, I Saw the Devil, or any of the Revenge trilogy, this movie is probably for you.

Thanks for this tip, I've seen all the standard Korean thrillers and was jonesing for something new.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Parachute posted:

Speaking of McNaughton, is The Harvest(2013) with Michael Shannon worth checking out?

Noooooooooooo. I love Michael Shannon, and he was the only reason I watched it. It was terrible, and I felt embarrassed for him.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Timby posted:

I honestly thought it was decent. I kind of wonder if the guy above me is thinking of The Iceman, which was really, really, really loving bad.

That's cool, I'm glad you liked it. I just got a huge made-for-TV vibe off of it. I've seen The Iceman as well, and couldn't finish it. You're not kidding about that movie.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

How does The Rocketeer never get any love, ever? That movie ruled when I was a kid, and it rules now that I have my own kids.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Charlie Work really lived up to the hype. That was incredible.

Agreed. I've kinda cooled off on Always Sunny over the years, but I watched that ep last night to see what all the fuss was about, and it was solid. Is the rest of the season pretty good?

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

kuddles posted:

Speaking of Hulu, The Grinder is hilarious and a much better show than it has any right to be.

Yes everyone please watch this show, I love it so much.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The premise sounds incredibly lame in a Watch Underscore Dogs way. Is it legit good or guilty pleasure good?

Legit good, it's worth your time to check it out. Not perfect of course, but as far as USA network standards go, I'd say it's "holy poo poo" good.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Glad to see so much Bo Burnham love. His style of comedy is right up my alley, but he's pretty divisive among my friends. I saw him in Boulder on the Make Happy tour, but still really enjoyed watching it again on Netflix. I think what. is still his best special though, that thing is just completely solid.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I just caught most of Me, Earl, and The Dying Girl on HBO (should on Demand or GO) and I loved it, Still need to see the ending but it was shot so energetically, and given the subject matter, surprisingly light.

Yeah this movie is so, so good. Absolutely loved it.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Wasn't it Randall park? He's amazing in fresh off the boat

I've been loving this show lately since I watched season 2 on Hulu. Randall Park and the lady who plays his wife are just so great. I also enjoy the two younger kid actors. The Eddie Huang character is pretty obnoxious and the only dull spot though.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Patriot is certainly living up to the hype for me. Thirty minutes into the first episode I knew it'd be one of the best shows I've watched, and it hasn't let up over the next few episodes. What a unique show!

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

I agree with the sentiment that Season 1 of Bloodline was fantastic, and that the last scene twist, and continuing the show afterward is unnecessary. That being said, I did end up begrudgingly watching the second season (I got the hots for Linda Cardellini okay??) and ended up enjoying it as well, and I'll be watching season three when it drops.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

pumped up for school posted:

Everything about Patriot clicked for me. It gets my vote for best original series on a streaming service. After the first folk song, I was hooked. Called my wife at 1am and said "you need to watch this right now." I binge watched it from a hotel room and was genuinely pissed when I ran out of episodes.

The humor, the direction (especially the urinal scenes and outdoor shots by the concrete pipe yard), and the relative mundane-ness of covert operations relative to other "spy shows/films" - all just worked for me. Like stressing out over a bag of money when in other venues it seems like every spy agency has infinite funds.

Couldn't have said it better myself, I just adored that show, and I recommend it to everybody.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Hey guys? Creed is good. It's really, really good. I was in tears. Ryan Coogler, Michael B. Jordan and Tessa Thompson are going places. And Stallone's clearly been there.

I thought the movie was fine, but my jaw dropped during the single take scene during his first professional fight in the middle of the movie. That's one of the most well crafted pieces of cinema I've ever seen, and I thought the final fight couldn't compare to it!

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

I enjoyed Death Note. I'm no fan of anime though, so I went in with no prior knowledge or expectations.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

fishtobaskets posted:

I'm a little surprised nobody's posted about The Good Place yet. It's light, enjoyable fluff and Ted Danson is great in it. I've been surprised by all the sensible chuckles. Everything Disjointed fucks up horribly from a sitcom perspective, The Good Place gets right.

Janet owns, also.

E: i coulda sworn it was a netflix original, thus the tone of my post. It all makes sense now.

Just watched through this over the weekend, and it was fantastic. Really looking forward to where it goes next.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

it does the impossible by making Charlie Hunnam a good actor.

Whoa. Now this I gotta see

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

god peaky blinders is soooo boring. Thing happens, thing happens, Betrayal!, thing happens, not really betrayal, oh no they're hosed, but really they had a plan all along. Sums up every single season.

Man I hate to say it, but you're not wrong. I had this feeling while watching season 4, and I think so much time passes between seasons that I didn't catch onto it before. Also I thought Adrian Brody was hilariously terrible this season.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

If you liked It Comes at Night (I did), you should catch the director's first movie Krisha, on Prime. Wrote, directed , and edited the whole thing, shot in his mom's house using a lot of his family members as cast. It was hard to watch, but great. That dude is a real talent and really knows how to move a camera.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Fargin Icehole posted:

Patriot Season 2 when

Probably later this year. They just announced some cast additions about a month ago, so I'm sure they're shooting right now.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

I believe Hulu has Kung Fu Hustle, which for my money may be the funniest good time movie ever made.

Edit: I just realized it's only the dubbed version, no option for Chinese with English subtitles. Don't bother!

knows a black guy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 18, 2018

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

The English dub is pretty well done I thought.

That's cool, it's just the first two times I watched it had subtitles, so it was too jarring for me.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Just finished Cobra Kai. I really, really enjoyed it. Just a quality show not relying on nostalgia to appreciate.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is it worth the ten bucks for a month of YouTube Red?

It's five hours of quality entertainment if you want to measure it that way. However, like most streaming services, you can get a free month of Red as a trial like I did. I also got some laughs out of Do You Want to See a Dead Body? Definitely not paying for Red after the month is up though.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

david_a posted:

Edge of Tomorrow

I kinda feel sorry for the guy over getting sucked into this cult, but I don't know anything about all the creepy stuff you mentioned.

-------

Is Peaky Blinders S4 worth the effort? I thought things were getting a bit ridiculous in S3. There's so many things to watch I have to start triaging.

I'm afraid not. The formula is worn pretty thin at this point, and Adrian Brody is laughably bad.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Queen Combat posted:

I liked S2 more than S1 but either way it's definitely a show to watch.

I also liked season 2 significantly more than 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

WarEternal posted:

First Reformed is on Prime. Amazon's been pretty good about getting poo poo I actually want to watch.

Thanks for the heads up on this, been wanting to check it out.