Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Fart City posted:

But the story doesn’t work without a five page interlude about how the town mailman suffers from terrible farts???

Hahaha; what’s his deal with those tangents anyway? I remember reading Cujo (IIRC) as a kid and it went on this tangent about one guy’s habits, down to describing how stiff his bedsheets were due to all the dried semen on them due to his constant masturbating. Back then I was like ‘Yo what the Hell is this all about?!’

E: to contribute, I found Four Lions and Dave Made A Maze are currently on Hulu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Prime has a show called ‘Sentosha: Battle Wheels’.

The cast is apparently all Japanese comedians/celebrities so we have no idea who they are, but it’s a goofy demolition derby type show.

You can skip the first episode if you just want to get to the car challenges, because that one is just introducing everyone.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ElMudo posted:

Is it like a live action Wacky Races?

I considered calling it that in my post, actually.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I dunno if anyone besides me is into old black and white serial films, but I found one on Prime called The Monster and The Ape.

It’s classic goofy, corny old sci-fi and I am having a blast watching it.

On that note, anybody know where I can find other old serials on streaming?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Nihonniboku posted:

Season 2 of Jack Whitehall: Travels with my Father is up on Netflix. It's a really funny and charming show where Jack travels with his father, a conservative, upper crust, posh English father around Southeast Asia in season 1, and eastern Europe in season 2.

Oh man, that’s awesome! Season 1 was great. I loved the episode when they were given the Luk Thep doll.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Nihonniboku posted:

You're in for a treat then!

...Is the dad still carrying it around?!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Nihonniboku posted:

Yes! And then some!

Episode 2 I lost it when border patrol opened their luggage.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Basebf555 posted:

How the gently caress can Murphy's death have more gore and blood added? It's over the top and horrific as it is.

IIRC, the gratuitous violence on the hand/arm mutilation and the headshot were originally toned down, and maybe the excessive number of bullets they riddle him with.

One thing I never get tired of in Robocop is how much personality and panache all the villains have. It’s a drat near perfect movie.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Just watched Lowlife on Hulu. It’s broken up into four interconnected chapters with each focusing on one character’s dealings with a crime boss named Teddy. (These characters include a rage-a-helix luchador, and a guy with a very unfortunate prison tattoo). It’s kind of hard to say more without giving away a lot of the plot.

I hadn’t heard of it before, but I loved it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Anybody else watch Norsemen on Netflix?

It's such a fun, goofy show.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

tweet my meat posted:

Pan Shot was by far the most moving of the various stories, I still tear up thinking about it

I thought that was the thinnest/weakest story, but there was just something about that ending.

I do have a question about the segment with the prospector. Was it based on something? I feel like I read a story with a similar plot.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Field Mousepad posted:

Probably was, they base stories off of old tales and myths and whatnot on the reg.

I found it finally. The short story was written by Jack London, also called 'All Gold Canyon'.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I was lukewarm on the first season and only made it a couple episodes in, but the new Mac and Me episode knocked it out of the park.

:aaaaa:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

veni veni veni posted:

Oh it’s actually a really well made doc. The people it follows are just loving appalling though. Especially irl Slurms McKenzie but they all just seem like god awful people.

I finished it against my better judgement lol.

The only person I liked in that doc was the guy that was in the Britney Spears music video that was like 'lol nah' about a social media presence.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think Netflix algorithms work very well.

Netflix once recommended I watch Penguins of Madagascar because I had watched Cocaine Cowboys.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

InterrupterJones posted:

and I bet Haley Joel Osment is a bit sad he won't be in the next season (I know it's still possible he could show back up), but I'm sure he had fun being relevant again.

Hey, Haley Joel Osment's been making money off of the Kingdom Hearts franchise for the past 17 years.
:sora:

Watched Hulu's Fyre Festival doc yesterday, and it was ridiculous, particularly the bits with Billy McFarland on camera. I'm interested in what track the Netflix one will take, since Elliot Tebele is an exec producer on that.

If you want something silly, Catwalk is a documentary on Hulu about competitive cat shows; and part of what kept me so riveted was how goddamn salty one of the women progressively got about point margins separating her cat and another woman's cat for first place.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Thanks guys, all of you bringing up The Shield made me finally realize that for years I've been confusing it with that Dennis Haysbert show The Unit.

I'm finally gonna give The Shield a watch.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hubbardologist posted:

I came here to basically post this. It's.... like.... amazingly bad. Like a movie made by an AI that only watched Smokin' Aces and John Wick -- two very different films -- and was not able to reproduce any of the aspects of what made those films engaging. Down to the adopted dog getting murdered... by the protagonist.

edit: for the record, i made it about 20 minutes before stopping.

We stuck it out, and I regret it. Mass deserved better.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

K. Waste posted:

Am I the only one who feels like the best celebrity stunt-cast for Ted Bundy would be Pauly Shore?

They're coming out with a Bundy movie this year that debuted at Sundance.

Zac Efron plays Bundy. When I first heard that, my reaction was :rolleyes:, but...

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

If CNNGo counts as streaming, check out Three Identical Strangers (sorry if I'm late to the party on this one).

It starts off super heart-warming. A guy starting community college learns he has an exact double and meets his identical twin, and they'd been separated at birth via adoption. The story goes viral in the news, causing their triplet to find out about them!

I loved the part about the three of them all first meeting each other, but by the end I was just so sad for the three of them after they'd come to find out the story behind their separation.they were specifically separated, to three distinct 'classes' of family as part of a 'nature vs. nurture' psychology experiment

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Larry Charles's Dangerous World of Comedy is an absolute trip; but it veers into :stare: territory at times; he goes around interviewing people in different countries about how they use comedy to deal with their situations.

Episode 2 he's in Liberia talking to General Butt Naked asking if his unit of child soldiers used humor during the civil war and his 'humorous anecdote' is horrifying.

Episode 3 is kind of a low point because he wastes part of the episode interviewing those shitbirds weev and Baked Alaska

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Zwabu posted:

They remade the French prison movie Papillon? The one that had starred Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman?

Yeop. Only now it's Charlie Hunnam and Rami Malek.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 18, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Unzip and Attack posted:

I got about 20 minutes into Abducted in Plain Sight and just had to turn it off. When the dad reveals he was "fooled" into giving his neighbor a handjob I figured watching any more of that poo poo would sorely tempt me to break my tv. I don't know that I've ever been so angry watching a show in my life. Parents waiting 5 loving days to report a missing child? The sheer, crystalline stupidity of those parents really should constitute criminal neglect at a minimum.

That was the point we shut it off too; because there was no way it couldn't get worse and more infuriating.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone watching Dangerous World of Comedy with Larry Charles?

I kind of wish I could go back to not knowing who General Butt Naked was :stare: or do I? I don't know.

I thought it was a really interesting series (those two U.S. 'trolls' in ep 3 aside), but yeah, that interview was really tense, and I said after first watching it his mention of the 'humorous' things they did in the war was :yikes:

If you want to read more about General Butt Naked, this is a pretty interesting article from a couple years ago:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/03/14/general-butt-naked-the-repentant-warlord/amp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

veni veni veni posted:

There are a lot of things he said that were sort of hilarious in the darkest, most hosed up possible way. Like, he felt bad and turned to jesus because he didn't want to kill the last toddler he murdered, but only because the kid was cute and clean so he wanted to find a less desirable kid to hack open with an axe and eat alive (he didn't mention how they did it, but I read up on him a bit last night). Of course when he couldn't find one he still killed Then he goes on to talk about how he likes to watch Kids Say the Darndest things. or the part where he goes up to the guy who's legs he cut off and is aggressively and antagonistically is like "hey! Brother forgive me. You have to forgive me!"

I literally cannot believe that guy is just walking around like its nothing after committing some of the worst atrocities I've ever heard of. because he "found Jesus. How the gently caress he is not dead or rotting in jail somewhere is beyond me. But I guess that kind of stuff isn't that uncommon. Remind me of the guys from "The Act of Killing" a lot.

Honestly? The International Criminal Court wasn't founded until 2002, so it doesn't hold retroactive jurisdiction on his atrocities; and he went before Liberia's Truth and Reconciliation Commission and basically said, 'Yeah I did it, I repented and turned to the Lord' and the TRC just basically shrugged it off and said 'okey-dokie'.

If you're interested in learning more about what went down in the Liberian Civil War, I can name a few documentaries about, it most of which you can find on YouTube.

The interviews with the former child soldiers, the 'clowns' and 'Special Forces' just broke my loving heart.