Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Horns was way better than I thought it'd be. Yes, even the extremely goofy last 20 minutes. Shame it telegraphed its twists so hard though.

Radcliffe can act alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jack Gladney posted:

As an American, I have to say that Shaun Ryder on UFOs is the most insane thing to me. It's just some fat bald guy who yells everything and slurs his speech talking to people about spacemen for no reason that I can determine.

I guess it's a vanity project for some British guy who used to make EDM?

The Happy Mondays weren't remotely EDM, they were original rave music/britpop and they were very good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jack Gladney posted:

He does come across as very charming, and just really excited to see hills and lakes in other countries. He also gets bored really quickly with kooks who don't share his ideas about UFOs.

It's also worth noting that the whole "when I was a kid I saw a UFO" story is real but that it happened while he was on Ecstasy or LSD. It's documented briefly in the film 24 Hour Party People (which I don't think is on Netflix anymore sadly).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chichevache posted:

Detention is Heathers for the Adderall and Facebook set.

Speaking of Heathers

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/03/26/heathers-facts/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Netflix really needs to add Pump Up the Volume for the ultimate double feature with Heathers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chichevache posted:

Sirens is a comedy about Chicago EMTs written by Denis Leary. It feels exactly like Leary wrote it. If you want to watch a Denis Leary tv show then this is it. If you don't, don't.

Netflix keeps recommending this but I had no idea Denis Leary wrote it. Sold.

fake edit: that cop show he had in the early 2000s was really good, isn't it on Netflix? I know it was like 5 months ago

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paper Kaiju posted:

The show was called The Job.

Yes, that one. I really liked it actually, when I watched it last year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

I was with you up until Blair Witch 2. I haven't seen it, but my somewhat fading memory tells me it was pretty poorly received. Is it worth the time? It's not a true sequel (or prequel, I dunno) is it?

Blair Witch 2 is a very nearly perfect satire of the horror genre around the early-2000s and is a pretty fun and funny film. It leans even more heavily on the inspiration the original film took from Loaded (which is a great New Zealand film that's on Netflix).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Another recommendation is Kids for Cash. Really depressing look at the famous conflict of interest case of a judge who imposed incredibly harsh sentences on juveniles in Pennsylvania for ridiculous charges while at the same time taking more than $1 million in finders fees for the construction of a for-profit detention center where all these kids were sent. Just a disgusting but unsurprising consequence of the insanity that is the private prison industry.

The most depressing part of that for me was when they actually interview the judge and you get the impression that he actually just had a hosed up childhood and even without the money he would have done the same thing to those kids and truly believed it would somehow help them.

e: in fact the film points out he was sentencing kids like that before the money, doesn't it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sirens actually is really funny. It stars like five different people who all talk like Denis Leary thinks teamsters talk but somehow that isn't obnoxious. I never watched Rescue Me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Brain Games is pretty fun and has some pretty :monocle: illusions. Plus it's narrated by Neil Patrick Harris :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NESguerilla posted:

Can you try to sell me on this? I keep hearing it's good but the concept sounds really bad and I can't bring myself to watch it.

Just give it a shot, it is seriously way better than the concept sounds on paper. Honestly you can just pretend it has no connection to Psycho other than the hosed up Norman/Norma relationship, and even that was only hinted at in Psycho (I don't remember if the sequels expanded on it because they are bad movies).

Losers Take All is a really fun little 80s-punk-rock band movie, got some solid tunes and jokes and just a good time all around.

Frank is also way better than it has any right to be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Human Tornada posted:

We Are the Best is a fun and good movie on Netflix US. It's about two 13 year old Swedish girls who start a punk band even though they can't play any instruments. The girls are likable and the acting is very believable. Overall a cute movie and an easy watch.

Confirmed, this movie is great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Oh, re: Miike, is the Japanese version of One Missed Call kind of taking the piss out of the Ringu subgenre of technology-horror films? I haven't seen it in years but I remember it being funny in that way, but sadly it isn't on Netflix. Should I bother watching it again or am I misremembering a bad horror film?

No, it was genuinely really good.

Though if you want a film that was definitely intentionally taking the piss out of Japanese horror tropes, look for Sion Sono's EXTE (he's the guy who did Suicide Circle, Strange Circus (which is on Netflix), Cold Fish (which no longer is on Netflix, but is on Amazon I think)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Leper Residue posted:

This is the korean movie by the way, not the movie based on the book. The movie is also a lot of fun and is more horror comedy than straight horror.

Also, The Host is not really a "goon favorite", that movie got rave reviews across the board from people I know and critics alike.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Oh American Mary. I really don't like excessive gore, but that movie is just so loving weird I actually enjoyed it...and I felt really ashamed afterwards.

I love that movie and I also love that the most disturbing things in it aren't gory at all (Betty Boop :gonk: )

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know how long it's been on there, but all 4 seasons of The Thick of It are on Hulu. It's the dude who created the very similar-in-concept HBO show Veep and it is even more hilarious because the people have funny accents. If you don't watch it you're a loser or something.

If you're allergic to paying for Hulu Plus (I'm not sure if it's on free or not) there's a 2 month free trial option for PS4 and probably other platforms too. Assuming you're an adult and own a debit card it's worth it for free.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can't wait until both Detention and Snowpiercer are off Netflix.

And I loved Detention. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man I have been really curious to see God's Not Dead but didn't ever want to pay money for even from Redbox so :allears:

Also Teen Witch rules

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For my part I thought ABCs of Death 2 was actually much more mediocre. The first one at least had a couple memorable/good sequences, the second one is just really forgettable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NyxBiker posted:

They should announce it at the start of the last season in my opinion, it pisses me off when i'm watching a tv series and I discover only after the last episode that it has been the last episode of the last season. I hope it doesn't happen with stuff like TWD.

I think they will announce the final season of House of Cards, and since they didn't, season 3 won't be the last.

Also, Season 3 features the girls from Russian band Pussy Riot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

So Showgirls actually loving rules.

That was never in doubt by anyone who realizes it wasn't, at any stage of its writing or filming, a serious drama.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No way, Starship Troopers is a literally perfect film.

I'm serious, there is absolutely nothing that could be done to improve on it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hat Thoughts posted:

What would you prefer

Space Marines

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

Because Robert A. Heinlein's book was just so good....

Well, it is the only Heinlein story where the main character isn't an author self-insert who time travels and fucks his own mother.

e: I kid, Job: A Comedy of Justice had no motherfucking and was actually pretty good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I agree with this. I need to check out Basic Instinct, which is also an American movie of his that's available on Netflix.

It's "OK" at best. Mostly boring.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

poo poo, I forgot about Basic Instinct. It's definitely not as good as Total Recall or Starship Troopers, but it's definitely slightly better than Showgirls.

No loving way. I haven't watched Basic Instinct since like, the 90s, but no loving way is it better than Showgirls. I will watch it again just so I can type a big effortpost proving how wrong this opinion is. :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first 3 seasons of The Boondocks are great though. So watch those.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Absentia is way better than I thought it would be. The cover art for it and even the description are pretty bad. And there are a couple spots with cringeworthy infodump dialogue but only a couple. Like Kill List I would say go in blind because it's way more interesting than the premise would suggest.

e: Also Tank Girl is now up and is officially the most early-mid-90s thing ever in the best way

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Edminster posted:

said by a person who has clearly never seen Hackers

I've watched Hackers a truly embarrassing number of times.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why is Houdini so early 2000s bad at times. Like the soundtrack which is LOUD FOR NO REASON and I think I heard a Marilyn Manson song.

Still enjoyed it but drat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My gf has been watching Kimmy Schmidt. It seems like something I would normally hate but I just... can't hate it.

I bet it would be fascinating to watch while on ecstasy or LSD, if only for the colors

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Run-DMC were awesome.

Teen Witch is way weirder than I remember.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rectify season 1 is my favorite season of television ever.

Season 2 is a bit less good, but there's also more of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LogisticEarth posted:

I liked Rectify but I'd cool the hype jets a little bit. It's good television with a lot of solid moments but the story is fairly straightforward and it seems to be missing some kind of spark/mystery* that really drew me into it. I'm looking forward to season two but not scrambling for it.

I can't find the clip on YouTube but the scene where Daniel explains his prison rape to Teddy is not hyperbolically one of the best scenes I have personally watched on a television program. I know it sounds like hype but for me the show, and especially season 1, is just a loving incredible meditative thing that I have watched at least 4 times all the way through, which is not something I can say about many movies and even less TV shows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

I've never described a film as revoltingly stupid, but Bad Johnson is revoltingly stupid.

With a name like that, it would have to be brilliant or absolute dogshit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For my part Netflix is scarily accurate in predicting how many stars I will rate something, with very few exceptions. Even when it's something I wouldn't normally watch at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chaotic Flame posted:

Weirdly enough, I have one or two stand ups in my queue and have yet to be recommended the Ralphie May special. :iiam:

I've watched a lot of Patton Oswalt, Louis CK, Carlin, Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Chelsea Peretti, and Netflix hasn't tried to push Ralphie May on me yet.

I actually remember him getting his start on Last Comic Standing so I've hated him for a very long time. :\

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Aziz Ansari is good at telling funny stories about people more famous than him. His Kanye stories are the best.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Noah is a pretty good get for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Why are they removing Clue though? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The craziest poo poo that's in Noah is mostly poo poo that's actually in the Torah, the Old Testament, or the Apocrypha. There is remarkably little that he just flat-out made up.