Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

Resolution and The Endless are in the same universe and share a couple of characters. There's also Spring (which I haven't seen) that I think has loose ties to the other two films. Pretty sure the creative duo behind them have at least one other in-universe film in the works

edit: can't find it now but I posted a link in some other TVIV thread about the writer/ directors talking about how they've fleshed out a lot of their universe for more films

I know, but I thought outright saying that would spoil the holy poo poo moment that I had when the movies crossed paths :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When you're accustomed to corridors, every turn is a twist

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

I haven't seen Sunshine, but yeah gently caress 28 Days Later is that goat

I'm not gonna pretend Sunshine is anywhere near his best movie, but dude, you need to see it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Sunshine shreds

It's prob my third fave Boyle

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They do the same thing with every big movie now

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A Thousand Junkies on Hulu is not like, life changing or anything, but it scratches that "90s indie slacker movie" itch really well. Great soundtrack too

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Hulu documentary about the Fyre festival is great (Fyre Fraud)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had somehow completely missed hearing about the festival at all until today and I'm starting to wonder if the whole thing really existed or if these documentaries are part of the scam

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having now watched both, I gotta give the edge to the Hulu Fyre documentary. It pulls way less punches. You can tell the Netflix one was made by people who have an interest in putting the best spin on it they can. Hulu one makes it clear that the dude was a straight up criminal and con man. Netflix one skews too often toward "he just flew too close to the sun" and "but seriously look how good of an idea these things were"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sarchasm posted:

Didn't the Hulu documentary pay the organizer of the festival a six-figure sum to consent to their interview?

I'm thinking you should probably just avoid them both.

No idea how much they paid him, but the Netflix one has spin. "In 48 hours they had sold 95% of their tickets" is, at least from the information in the Hulu one, very inaccurate. The Netflix one also kinda makes the Magnesis Card sound like it was cool but flawed, whereas the Hulu one shows you what kind of hilarious losers actually fell for it, etc

The Hulu one just generally has way more info, the Netflix one is slicker.

I wouldn't say to avoid either of them though, even compromised documentaries can be interesting and the footage is lolworthy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

I think paying the guy a few hundred thousand was probably worth it because his interview adds a ton to the documentary in terms of exposing him as the con man he was/still is. The dude has probably already blown that money on bullshit anyway and is onto whatever the next grift is.

Yeah his interview segments were hilarious. One wonders how such a bad liar managed to con so many people

Also, Ja Rule comes off as a turbo douche

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He got jail time for wire fraud

Watch the Hulu one, the dude did a lot more than just "put on a lovely music festival". A lot of Jamaican workers straight up never got paid too

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Frog Act posted:

Not to interrupt Fyre talk but Jason X is on Netflix and it owns

Hell yeah it does

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrNutt posted:

Society has always been stupid, there are just more cameras now.

I'm framing this quote, drat

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the Hulu one is not even a little sympathetic to him. The Netflix one definitely is a bit though. Also the Hulu one has a lot more on site footage of the fiasco itself

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
American Crime Story S2 is on Netflix now and it's so so so good. Very different from S1 but arguably even better. Watch.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

IO on Netflix might be legitimately the most boring movie I have ever watched in my life. And I'm usually a huge fan of slow burns, not to mention a huge sucker for Post Apoc stuff. I don't think it had a single interesting moment in it.

It also felt like it was 4 hours long despite being a lean 90 minutes.

The first 10 minutes are definitely insanely boring, I turned it off

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

Line True Crime docs? There's a Ted Bundy series now.

Watched this last night and it's really good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Farenheit 11/9 is on Prime. I definitely have issues with Michael Moore but it's a really good one from him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yo, don't sleep on Wayne on youtube. It's like The End of the loving World by way of I, Tonya

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Queen Combat posted:

Eew YouTube red

Between this and Cobra Kai, it might be worth it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the new Ted Bundy thing is legit

Also the CNN series The 80s is good. Their The 90s however is a bit poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

It's crazy how much Ted Bundy sounds like Trump when he is describing people and trying to be complimentary. Like, it's just a complete :thejoke: on human social interaction.

That famous interview that Jane's Addiction sampled where he says "the police know that I didn't do these things" sounds identical to Trump

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
GG Allin: All in the Family is a pretty good watch. That rear end in a top hat sure was proud of his incredibly small dick. I do feel bad for his mom though.

Edit: streaming on Showtime

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Velvet Buzzsaw is great and extremely weird and unconventional, maybe better than Nightcrawler

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Velvet Buzzsaw felt like an homage to Ready to Wear, Shallow Grave, and Tales From the Darkside

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Russian Doll owns HARD

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TheManWithNoName posted:

Also, finally got around to seeing Ant-Man and the Wasp now that it’s on Netflix. Very similar to the first one which is to say enjoyable enough.

It starts kinda slow but the last 45 minutes are great and the humor is on point. I want a whole movie about X-CONS

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everyone watch Six String Samurai on Prime. Mad Max with surf rock.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah watching Resolution before Endless is pretty key to getting the most out of them both

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well I wasn't interested before but Rami Malek means I'll at least try it. Love the original tho

And yeah PEN15 is so funny. Oh my gawd, shut up! So funny. Yeah. Too funny and stuff. Oh my gawd.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh my god the AOL instant messenger episode of PEN15

Oh my goddddddd

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Beyond the Curve. Netflix. Documentary about flat earthers. Starts out annoyingly sympathetic to them, then the whole last hour is dunking on them majestically. Very entertaining.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you missed Three Identical Strangers it's on Hulu now

Edit: though be warned it's one of those Hulu things that has truly awful sound mixing, the music is insanely high to the point you sometimes can't hear the dialogue over

precision fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rad Valtar posted:

The part that really pissed me off was when they keep doing actual good scientific testing that proves them wrong and they ignore it basically blaming the test and coming up with new ways of tweaking it to get the result they want. Just absolutely horrible scientific method.

Yeah it was great lmao