Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This looks bad enough to be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My buddy and I recently picked up Project Gorgon and we are having a blast learning about Dinosaur Anatomy while killing tame chickens and reciting Harry Potter fan fiction into a chat window in order to learn how to better dropkick things as a cow—this was our first two hours of gameplay. Our next couple of hours involved taming rats and making them pit fight against MEGASPIDER, the non-boss Elite spider which is guarding a loot hoard of spoons, and then helping a paranoid conspiracy theorist plow his girlfriend. This game reminds me so much of what Ultima Online 3D could have been had it not instead been Trammel, it just needs some kind of PVP and player housing it would be pretty much the best game ever.

10/10 would play again.

e: I am in as Vaginitis and my buddy is DrMcStudley. We are AFK playing the lute overnight in the first town. Please direct us to where to be more useful later.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 4, 2015

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any reason other than cosmetics to use various white weapons? I see no stats difference between Moldy Old Sword, Basic Sword, Acid-Addled Blade, for example.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What can one do with animal skins?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tanners posted:

If i had to guess it's because it makes sense given where you loot them. You wouldnt find a fresh new sword on an acid spider, itd be rotted through with acid and poo poo. Same with the skeletons where all their clothes and weapons are old and moldy.

Also the catlady in Eltibule will teach you Tanning to turn your skin into strips and then you can ask what to do with the strips because I have no idea.

The obvious goal here is that after jumping through some number of steps and additional skills you wind up with the ability to create armor and dildos from having slaughtered enough wolves. Could be that it's just not yet implemented?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aesthetically this game feels a lot like Morrowind and Ultima Online had a fanfiction liaison and this is the resultant spawn. But to really capture the feeling of UO, it needs worthwhile crafting. I want to be able to require no more than basic combat proficiency to get to the things I need to make a great set of armour or a sword with a custom name because it's masterwork, and so on. So far as I can tell, crafting if it even really exists is gated behind a lot of combat before you can even be offered to learn the skills.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am looking forward to no longer running the opposite direction when I tab-select + attack-hotkey a thing. Fingers crossed! As a little bonus, if you started a Hang Out activity just prior to the reset it finished instantly once the server was back up, even if it was something like a 4-hour activity.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That has also been my experience. I asked a question about cooking or favor or something one day, and the player Dyn decided to take an hour to explain to me some of the most time-efficient grinds for the NPCs that I cared about raising favor. He also spent that hour killing pigs with me so that I could make Joeh my soulmate. The general feeling is one of a small, tightly connected community where everyone just helps each other because.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:(

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mushroom_spore posted:

Oh, I know people are pretty free with gear, I mostly meant like...selling cotton stacks and stuff, if that's still even a thing. :) Also I remember at least one incident of someone doing a drive-by and taking items during a trade, which is the other reason I'd really like working windows. It may not happen often, but it's still annoying to have to work around.

EDIT: Also, does anyone remember where drums come from, or have one they'd be willing to briefly lend me? I want to test something. :science: (Although it looks like that may not be possible at the moment, I'm seeing reports of Serbule being massively broken and that's where all my characters are.)

Serbule is fixed now. I can lend you a drum. Character name?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is a lot of talk on the Project Gorgon forums about an upcoming conversion from free-to-play alpha to a Steam Early Access one-time buy to play, and it really puts a damper on my desire to continue playing. I love the game, and it has several really amazing aspects that I think would be great in a fully released game; for example, the very first gear with modifiers is available as random drops in the tutorial dungeon, and these modifiers meaningfully augment or modify the behavior of abilities in a way that most games do not have at all or until late game raid gear. This is a great game, a great idea for a game, and the overall feel is awesome! I can say the same thing about every single one of the Early Access games I've purchased on Steam to date as well; and, I can also say that every single one of them has been a waste of money since the project inevitably collapsed without leaving alpha. I want this game to be good; I want it to be released; and, in theory I understand that's the point of alpha donations or purchases. But this is a one-man show, like Dwarf Fortress, and I'm betting on him actually completing his grand work at some indeterminate point in the future before dying or losing interest. I am so torn here. Help assuage my Early Access blues goons.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

30.5 Days posted:

I don't even play this anymore and I want to pay for it, the time I had with it was a treasure and I have no doubt I'll be back someday.

Someone should make an over the top youtubey video to contrast with his mumbly video.

Hire whomever did the Starfleet Dental star citizen video and knock this out of the water.

Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwjj4e1VRfc

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It bugs me that the servers are perfectly stable during peak hours when there are groups of dudes running around in a zerg ball making it impossible to go at your own pace in a dungeon, but poo poo themselves in the wee hours when nobody is on and I could otherwise grind in peace.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Game is ready for the public, start up the Early Access bandwagon! :woop:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Project Gorgon: Looking up crashes the game.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inimicul posted:

New machine being installed right now. Admin was nice enough to jump into global chat and hang out for a bit talking with people and answering questions while it was being prepped.

According to the Admin, the issue with all these crashes and disconnects for people has to do with the engine's interaction with 32-bit Windows operating systems. Apparently a game that has graphics no better than Morrowind (2002) is causing peoples' machines to run out of memory processing its graphics.

Comparison of Fort Pelagiad with Serbule Keep:

Morrowind (2002), total installation size ~1 GB.

Project Gorgon (2015), somehow overflowing memory.

Also pictured in that Gorgon screenshot is the Admin saying he simply cannot possibly optimize Unity 5 to avoid crashing when people with 32-bit operating systems look up.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lutha Mahtin posted:

oh, you're a computer scientist? then perhaps you can explain why, specifically, he's a bad programmer :allears:

either that or we can stop this derail before it starts

You know, even if I did give you a wall of :words: with citations and everything it would still be a derail. :v: How about instead we both pretend we're not assholes and move on? :)

Server has been stable since the hardware swap. People with 32-bit operating systems are still advised to avoid looking at the sky.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The extent of my Animal Handling use was as a secondary skill with Swords until I could unlock Mentalism or Shields, both of which provided much more utility once unlocked even though Animal Handling already had investment in it. A skill that is already heavily-invested being outperformed by a skill at Level 1 is not in a healthy place, and needs developer attention.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inimicul posted:

Now that I've been playing sword again and actually know how to gear towards a build, it feels super OP. I thought hammer was pretty nasty before but wow! I currently run slash / parry / riposte / precision pierce / many cuts / finishing blow. I have focused on gear (no oils yet) to make all my parries and ripostes heal me as well as AOE and lower rage. I've stacked a lot of +% damage to precision pierce as well as heals from that too. Many cuts has a few mods but mostly I use it to refresh Finishing Blow which has a gently caress-ton of +% damage mods on it. Now I just need to stack % stun resist because the build is super powerful against half a dozen mobs but instantly pops the moment I get stunned.

This was pretty much my experience from day one with Swords, since the first ever magic item that dropped for me in the tutorial dungeon had a thing that made parry and riposte heal and the shield that Tyler Green gave me also did that. Playing with sword and shield feels like playing a Protection Paladin in WOW, where you can AOE tank and kill just gobs of mooks. Stuns have never been much of an issue because of the AOE rage reduction offered by parry and riposte, but I admittedly didn't go into most of the dungeons. The real problem I recall facing is energy management, for which Swords completely lacks any tools.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That is such a better video than the one that's been linked before!

Inimicul posted:

One of the backing options makes you the subject of some of Rita/Blache's gossip. Nice touch!

Hopefully future donors become the subject of that gossip about humans only having one.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel at this point I've played enough of the game to know I like it and now—as with so many Early Access titles—it's time to just wait a year or three for him to actually finish making the game. I look forward to a completed world with dozens of zones and weeks of adventuring followed by some kind of endgame.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alternately you can just walk around the edge of its room without pulling it, like the quest text tells you to do.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wendell posted:

No need to get smug. I tried that and it saw me anyway.

I didn't mean it to sound flippant. Sorry, friend!

Nemo2342 posted:

Besides, reading quest text is for nerds. Who has time for that, when there are spiders to kill?

Right? But yeah the first time I did Tyler Green's shield quest, I didn't read his quest text at all and spent several deaths running into the thing and dying. You folks have it easy nowadays with the skeleton boss earlier in the dungeon rather than a cow curse boss.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Animal Handling is a good secondary skill in general, and you can combine it with Swords or something while you grind favor, and with Animal Handling leveled up you will be able to level Staves more easily.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I know, I'm just saying it'd be nice to get a taste of what they'll be doing with it. Highlight PBR or show off some new tech they're going to use, because that's what gets funding and attention.

They already have a test server where he puts his most recent build up prior to "release" to the alpha server.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

30.5 Days posted:

I'm actually kind of pissed off that the repopulation's raised a solid 6 figures off unrealistic promises, some bad free tech, and nostalgia while project gorgon is looking at like 40k tops for a finished game that's actually fun and well made.

Finished game? Look, man; there are people here who are fanboys and there are people here who dislike it, but the straight dope is that Project Gorgon is still very much a work in progress with some major, glaring errors. I posted earlier in the thread the issue that users with 32-bit operating systems simply cannot look at the skybox while in towns without crashing to desktop due to memory overflow, and that the graphics which inspire Morrowind nostalgia are literally on par with that 13-year-old game's stock models and textures. I like the game as an alpha or beta, because despite these flaws it presents me with some pretty neat things: the skills that increase as you use them and which have synergy with other skills, the loot system which puts ability-enhancing or -redefining effects on gear from the very beginning of the game, and so on. But right now this is a game where much of the terrain is permeable with varying degrees of effort (in some cases you can just run or fall right through rock formations), placeholder NPCs and mechanics still blatantly exist, all of four zones are available, the servers crap out fairly regularly for most of a day while they search for gremlins, and there exist both in- and out-of-game references to a much bigger more complex game coming soon that the users have not yet seen. This is plenty to draw the disposable income of the sort of person who backs Early Access projects, sure, but a finished game it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hakimashou posted:

They added a chat channel system today

use /Join -Gorgoon

the - in the name makes it a private channel

I figure Gorgoon is a p good name.

What's so wrong with tried and true names like lljk