Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Inimicul posted:

I think a lot of problems will be solved when more crafting is added and the level 60 solo area goes live.

Player market stalls will also be a huge deal in terms of just being able to go down and buy favor items with gold from vendoring whatever combat drops, if that's your preference. Currently if you want to do that you have to a)be very lucky and find it on a vendor and b)pay double price. Or be fortunate enough to catch someone on global who's selling.

hakimashou posted:

If they ban me, fine, not the end of the world. If they are going to take this knucklehead poo poo in their alpha that personally, the game doesn't have a future anyway.

Really obviously intentionally exploiting really obvious bugs you've discovered has been bannable since day one, sorry you got busted but you knew better. Punishing exploits is also pretty much the opposite of proof a game has no future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

senrath posted:

Gear isn't even part of the "we're not going to wipe poo poo" anyway, so why does it really matter?

Citan: "We're at a crucial time in the game's development in a lot of ways, and banning a couple dozen players right now is a huge blow. But flooding the game with thousands of magical items is also a huge blow to our ability to make the game better."

The item wipe is in all likelihood a very long way off, and flooding the game with tons of extra items/wealth/favor from lots of players spending hours exploiting has a ripple effect in the meantime. The game's development also does kind of rely on the playerbase being good responsible testers and reporting bugs and moving on, not using cheat codes to give themselves tons of extra free poo poo because they were mad at the devs that day and therefore should get a free pass. Come on, now.

EDIT: Also from Citan's post. "After some discussion, we realized that we have been way too lenient in the past with serious exploits like this. That can't keep happening."

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 4, 2016

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Inimicul posted:

By the time I went to bed, you had been playing on your Slave alt arguing with the dev for the first hour and then stayed logged in making GBS threads up global chat about how hurt you were for at least the next 5.

I don't know what's more ridiculous, this or the banned player on the PG forums right now (via alt account) claiming they had no idea you could be punished for cheating in an MMO.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
PG was also having some kind of problem with the server or datacenter or some voodoo like that last month too, so could also be that.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Animal Handling supposedly needs some work, but I think at least some of the difference in popularity is probably due to the fact that more people think undead are cool than rats and cats. (Though those grimalkins are cool as hell.)

Mentalism isn't the mass damage engine it used to be when it was completely broken, or at least it's not supposed to be. It's mainly a support skill like Psych but with different strengths. :eng101: I do have a couple of the zappy abilities on my bar, but that's because spider has very little in the way of ranged damage and my gear turns one of the Ment zaps into a stun. If mentalism support AOEs work on the undead that's automatically a very good combo though, anything with multiple pets (like spider) gets a lot of benefit out of that (and Pain Bubble).

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tei posted:

I think I will get the new loot the old way, farming dungeons, instead of this event thing. Maybe I misunderstood something, but waiting for a boss to spawn in serbule is not my idea of fun.

I think this sort of thing is primarily useful as a supplement for people who've had their gear progressively more hosed by updates to the point they're not fit for dungeons. Or they're struggling to get enough gear to be dungeon-ready in the first place, especially if they aren't able to get groups regularly due to timezones or whatever.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

That Guy Bob posted:

Oh and animal forms, they restrict a lot of things and npc interactions, and are permanent until you remove them.

To add on to this: some NPCs that don't mind talking to animals will require an "unlock" quest the first time you talk to them as an animal (the Serbule banker is one, I believe he requires five ancient bronze coins which you should just get ahead of time). There are also animal-only NPCs, mostly in Animal Town, with some alternatives to the NPCs/trainers you get shut out of.

And unless it's changed recently no, you can't use druid to cheat and access both "won't talk to animals" and "won't talk to non-animals" NPCs at will. There's a timer that tracks how long you've been an animal, and the animal-only NPCs will shun you until you no longer stink of human.

Being an animal is cool and good and they have some entertaining NPCs. :3: I'm a big fan of spider/mentalism.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Druid does seem like a good skill but the event stuff ensures I'll never, ever take it. If I'm busy making banana bread or growing cotton I'm not gonna stop and do an event and you can't make me! :argh:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I play on and off. An hour a week generally. Its fun but sometimes I worry that I'm ruining the game for myself by playing it too much too early. Hopefully that isn't the case.

This is why I take breaks as long as I do. I just can't be one of those people that runs the same dungeons hundreds of times or whatever, it will absolutely make me hate a very good game.

I hope they get to housing soon, I remember some fun and silly plans for it and that's 100% what I'm in the mood for right now. :3:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Has there been any dev chatter on the topic of housing since the initial "you'll be able to marry NPCs and have your waifu move in with you" stuff? I haven't been much in the mood for grinding combat lately, and there's really nothing to turn to but Everquest 2 and Wildstar for house decorating antics. EQ2 is still a fun way to waste a weekend here and there, but I miss playing my giant spider in this ridiculous game.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SweetBro posted:

Wait can I bang important quest related and lock them up in my house so that filthy pubbie scum can't finish their quests?

IIRC it's planned to create an instance of the NPC in your house, so no. Also your spouse can be married to hundreds of other people, I guess they're into that in Serbule.

EDIT: Basically if you have any question about Project Gorgon that amounts to "can I ruin other people's fun in this way" you can pretty safely assume the answer is no. The dev doesn't seem to be into that kind of thing.

Also found a little more housing info if anyone else was interested: https://forum.projectgorgon.com/showthread.php?286-Gameplan-Old-Forum-Discussion

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 30, 2017

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
The game doesn't neatly sort quests (or questgivers) by level for you. If you're blasting through all the favor quests of a small group of NPCs and suddenly they get too hard for you to do, they're mid/high-level quests and you should come back later because you're not meant to be able to do that particular quest at that point in time.

Just because you *can* try something (such a quest currently out of your league) doesn't mean you should or that you're meant to try it, but PG won't stop you. Kinda like how the tutorial used to be "HEY NEWBIE HEY YOU FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT GO DOWN THIS TUNNEL OR FIGHT THIS BOSS YOU WILL BE SORRY I MEAN IT" and then everyone who decided not to listen would be permanently(ish) turned into a cow. :laffo:

But as long as you don't get cursed over this kind of thing the worst that happens is you waste a few minutes and get some Dying xp before realizing "hey I probably can't do this quest now."

EDIT: Anyway questing's not a huge deal. This isn't a "spam quests to reach max level" system. You can just not quest for a while and goof around doing whatever, and you'll be fine.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 5, 2017

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fewd posted:

1. Are death curses somehow random or something? A swarm of spiders murdered me in the serbian crypt and afterwards some skeleton archers humped me through walls. I didn't get any curse in either case?

Unless it's changed in the last few months, death curses only come from bosses. The ones that give you BWEEOOP BWEEOOP TURN BACK ADVENTURER SKREEE warning signals. You might get random silly poo poo from other deaths but it's always roleplay suggestions like "you have a crippling fear of oranges for the next hour."

Fewd posted:

2. Are there any playstyles/skills I should avoid like plague? Currently I'm just sword&boarding with animal handling. I read AH is poop? But I like the rat. The rat's my only friend but I'm not sure that butt is pulling his own weight.

I experimented with it on an alt and it seemed okay, though we were going through one of those patches at the time when all pet AI kept breaking (especially in Kur). It's worth noting that AH will probably get considerably more involved once they introduce the ability to properly collect/raise/breed/trade pets instead of just whatever default you found in the woods, so if you love that kind of thing I'd especially get leveling now if you're enjoying AH anyway.

Fewd posted:

3. Where do I get instruments so I can make ears bleed playing horrible poo poo in middle of the town?

Easiest is to check used tabs around town or look in the player stall market. I could swear some vendor in Serbule sells one instrument in their default inventory too.

Fewd posted:

4. Are there any negative aspects on wearing heavy armor over leather and whathaveyou? Heavy just seems better every way on the tooltip.

I never got knee-deep into multiple armor craft skills like some folks, but IIRC yeah the dev plans to have (or has already implemented) different qualities for different materials. Even if only for enhancing or whatever.

Fewd posted:

e: 5. Do weapons have some hidden damage stats or something? The moldy rotting anal-dipped shitsword I got at the start of tutorial island looks exactly same on tooltip as a "normal" not-anal-dipped sword I can buy from weapons vendor?

The only "hidden base stat" on weapons is the ability to activate your weapon skills - it's not like you can actually attack with the weapon without using a skill to do it. So what you see is what you get. Swords with enchantments will add those to the relevant skills.

Base versions of gear are sold by vendors just so someone who only decides to try Sword (or whatever) later on can instantly go get the bare minimum to start leveling the skill.

EDIT: Wow that typo completely changed the meaning of that sentence. :v:

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 7, 2017

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Inimicul posted:

spider can have up to 3 baby spiders but they're on a timer so it takes near constant killing to keep 3 up at a time

Wait, it's on a timer now? Like a duration timer?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, they always had the annoying "keep mob alive this long to spawn pet" mechanic, but the pets never auto-died after that in all the time I mained spider. You just had to use abilities like mentalism auras to heal them in fights (or single target heals I guess but gently caress trying to keep track of and target three individual pets like that), because by itself Spider has no built-in way to support its pets so they did get worn down by enemy attacks and die if you ignored them. Spider is DPS rather than tanky and that kinda goes for the pets too.

If a "pet lifespan" timer has been added in addition to the annoying Incubate startup mechanic that's completely :psyduck:

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 20, 2017

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I browsed the A/T and saw that housing development is set to start soon, which is the exact thing I was in the mood for that made me take a long break and go do poo poo like join an SWG private server instead. So it looks like I'll be coming back. :toot: I love that Steam grabs each patch now so I won't have to wait an eternity to catch up on 'em.

I see people saying the combat areas are almost obnoxiously packed; how is the crafting/gathering/item economy doing? Lots of supply? I was always looking forward to it becoming easier and easier to just go down and buy whatever from the skills I don't want to level myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Bless you for digging that back up, the Sexy Elves origin story was one of my favorite things from him and should not be lost to time. :allears: