Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
It seems every university campus in England has to be weird and semi-brutalist. Here's the University of Sussex where I lived and had a love/hate relationship with the architecture.

Weird church/meeting room which was my favourite building:

Here it is inside, the bricks were glowy and cool:

I think this landmark is sadly gone, the cheap dorms called East Slope. I'm sure they were a temporary solution in the 70s, yet still housed poor students in what felt like cardboard boxes. Best parties though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
The last bridge we built over the Thames belongs in this thread. It had to be closed for two years because it was wobbling. Also, it just looks boring and dated now despite only being 15 years old: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Bridge_(London)

I say go for the vomit flower bridge. Whichever one we pick will undoubtedly go over budget and be a great source of controversy. May as well pick the one that will be most amusing.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I only found out this thing existed the other day. ArcelorMittal Orbit, some sort of lovely observation tower built for the 2012 Olympics.

It looks like someone designed a regular, boring tower, but their kid scribbled all over the design randomly, so they just presented it as some cutting edge design.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Frostwerks posted:

what was that brutalist highrise estate that kinda sorta collapsed in britain? like i dont think the whole thing toppled but some parts of it did

Oh god, could be any of them. They're all built of concrete, asbestos, and post war dreams.

The Trellick Tower is pretty hosed:

quote:

Serious problems exist with the existing facade system. The building was designed several years before the 1970s energy crisis, and the facade system does not manage heat at all. The facade of the tower is formed of two parts, the concrete brutalist structure, and wood and glass assembly storefront systems. Many of the original single panes of glass have been replaced either with double glazing in the existing wood frame, and plexiglass. The overall result is a minimal improvement in thermal performance. Overall the wood facade elements are warped, cracking, and do not seal well. The single layer construction bleeds heat at an appreciable rate. Further, the concrete elements bridge from the outdoors to the indoors, conducting heat from the interior to the exterior, where the concrete acts as a heat fin in a phenomenon called a Thermal bridge.

I think the Barbican Centre has been renovated a lot too:

And here's a Brutalist favourite of mine; the Alexandra Road Estate. Perfect for filming a 70s scifi movie:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

That looks like a pleasant place to live in. Reminds me of the athlete quarters built for the olympic games in Munich.

True. The little balcony gardens go a long way to making it look liveable and welcoming. I'd love to see inside one of these Brutalist homes as I often wonder how practical they are to live in.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Prague is such an amazing city for architecture. It's like wandering around in a fairytale land of castles and cobbled streets. Then, there's this piece of poo poo...

The worst part is that the windows don't line up. That must be super annoying on the inside.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Not sure why I've never heard of this one until today. The Garden Bridge is planned to open in London in 2018.

It's a cool concept, but apparently is already having financial problems, won't be accessible by cyclists, and will be closed during nighttime hours. On the plus side, I'm sure tourists will love it.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Wedemeyer posted:

People without homes tend to live in heavily wooded or brushy areas. Like Central Park, San Francisco's Golden Gate park, etc. Trees can block cold winds so it's a little warmer, and there's a small amount of privacy so you're hassled less. Also crimes, I guess.

Since London literally uses metal spikes to keep away rough sleepers, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a way to keep the homeless out. Shame, because it'd probably look awesome at night.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I highly recommend The Queen of Versailles documentary which is on Netflix. It shows a billionaire and his crazy trophy wife starting to build the biggest, ugliest mansion ever, based on the palace of Versaille. Halfway through construction the global downturn causes them to lose a whole lot of money, and it all goes to poo poo. I love terrible modern mansions.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Here's the latest monstrosity from London:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/aug/19/take-a-dip-35-metres-up-in-londons-sky-pool#img-1

OK, it's a cool idea in theory, but having an outdoor pool in the UK is utterly ridiculous. It'll be completely packed about 2 weeks of the year when we actually get summer weather, and abandoned most of the year. The apartment blocks themselves just look ugly, a bit like student accommodation, so you're paying a huge amount just for this novelty pool.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mescal posted:

Gimme a break, you KNOW a floating, transparent swimming pool is fuckin' sweet. Admit that you know it's sweet.

Yeah if it was part of my Bond villan mansion on top of a mountain. Not in the middle of the city where you have to share it with 50 people and have gawking onlookers seeing you in swimwear.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

gender illusionist posted:

loving horrible in real life

I liked it more in real life. It's not as big and imposing as the pictures make out.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

blowfish posted:

Why are there no teletubbies in this picture?

Sadly, the Teletubbies home is now gone: http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/01/teletubbies-say-uh-oh-farmer-floods-dipsy-laa-laa-tinky-winky-and-pos-home-to-deter-tourists-3945138/

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
It's kinda cool to visit in real life. Prague has lots of awesome Soviet relics that most tourists never bother to see. There's much more to the city than the old town.

I forget what the baby statues were for though.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

blowfish posted:

If I had $Texas to throw around I would totally buy an impenetrable underground bunker though, just in case the proles decide to have another glorious revolution in my lifetime.

I'd totally watch a trashy drama about a bunch of rich people stuck in a bunker at the end of the world. It'd be like Revenge, but underground, and people get cast out into the wilderness rather than thrown out of the Hamptons.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Uncle Enzo posted:

As much as I'm obviously enjoying this derail

Have I got a place for you! You can own a patch of land in the rapidly growing city of Horizon City, Texas for just a few thousand dollars an acre! Buy now- thousands of lots have gone to shrewd investors like yourselves all over the world already! A city planned from day one to be livable, hygenic, safe-

Don't miss your spot in the wonderful suburbs - just minutes from downtown El Paso! Live on a gentle slope overseeing the gentle plain of Western Texas! Yours now for only

The saddest architecture is none at all, not even Nature's.

Sell the land to hipsters so they can build a glorified fort.

Anyone have a link to that thread?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

I'm going for flattened roadkill squirrel.

It's like an ink blot painting. Everyone sees something different.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
This is what central London will look like in a few years: http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/dec/11/city-of-london-skyline-of-tomorrow-interactive

What is the architectural movement called that produces those big glass skyscrapers with lots of edgy features? I'm imagining that in the future we will look at these sort of towers with the same sneer we give to Brutalism. At least all the dumb buildings are concentrated in a small area I guess.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Angela Christine posted:

Towers are better than sprawl. The population keeps increasing and all those people have to go somewhere.

Oh I don't mind towers. I understand that with limited space you go upwards. But recent skyscrapers in London have been so freaking ugly. Many of them have architectural problems, such as the walkie talkie building that melts cars, and they all have unflattering nicknames, such as the can of ham building that is exactly what you'd expect it to look like. Other places like the Shard are cool, yet their flats aren't selling and not many companies in an uncertain economy want to risk moving into iconic buildings with massive rent.

I just wonder how long before these buildings look like total poo poo, in the same vein as many regrettable concrete tower blocks built in the 1960s.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Interesting. I thought the turbines on that thing didn't work because they were crap. I know the building had lots of design faults.

I went to uni in picturesque Elephant & Castle and used to gaze out the window, watching that thing being built. It's in such a sharp contrast to the rest of the area. I can't imagine being rich enough to spend millions on a flat and living there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

A misanthrope posted:

these stairways with no railings itt are loving lol

toddlers drown themselves in buckets and hang themeselves with window blind cords. railing-free stairs have to be like a toddler holocaust

Forget toddlers, it must be super relaxing as you fall asleep at night to realise that if you wake up and groggily go get a glass of water, you could fall to your death.

Someone repost the Japanese house with sheer drops all over the place and no railings.

• Locked thread