Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
Yeah the L Tower isn't 200 loving stories high, dude.

Sure is ugly, but like, when you look at it in context of the rest of the glass abortions that they've poo poo all over Toronto in the past 5 years it doesn't really stand out that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Fun fact about the ROM 'crystal': it was supposed to be all glass, and they'd started building the thing before someone said "hey, wait, its a museum, if there's light on the poo poo it's going to fade it and eventually destroy it, thus negating the purpose of a museum". So we got aluminum siding and the odd patch of glass.

The inside is such a loving nightmare too. All the angles from the outside don't translate well into a workable space, so its just a nightmare trying to get around or for them to place objects. Typical of Toronto.

Example: our loving moronic City Hall:

Looks idiotic, plus the inside is hilariously bad: its divided into a front and back on every floor. Front has the windows, back doesn't. The temperature in the joint is all out of wack, so by the windows its crazy hot in the summer from the sun, and they crank up the A/C so the people next to it don't die: the people in the back freeze. In the winter its reversed.

The windows get so much sun that a City employee once famously grew a loving pineapple on his desk: http://www.thestar.com/life/homes/outdoor_living/2010/07/29/day_a_taste_of_the_tropics_from_the_comfort_of_home.html - I was working at the city when this happened, and I remember hearing that he'd been visited by the head of his division and the pineapple plantation was shut shortly after.

We could have had this instead:
-

This was up in the design contest, it lost, and became the Imperial Oil building, which I think is unbelievably gorgeous and is now becoming condos.

Also, when they built City Hall, look at the beauty we lost: the old Land Registry Office:

So to sum up, Toronto is loving lame as gently caress.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

we have a live architectural failure going on atm.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-31562099

The Torch is on fire? Who saw that coming?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

rocket_350 posted:

The back two thirds of the James Street Baptist Church in Hamilton, Ontario has been demolished so that a gross condo tower can be grafted on to it.

Did it in Toronto at College/Bathurst, to a lesser extent.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Blistex posted:

Older neighbourhoods I've been to in Toronto, Ottawa, Chicago, Seoul, Beijing, Changchun, Shenyang, Busan, . . . etc. Are so much better than the new "apartment only" blocks, as there is stuff to see and do, and there is a reason to walk around and be there, as opposed to only going outside your apartment to get somewhere where there is actually something.

These are pretty much extreme polar-opposite examples, but a middle ground does exist.

Hey but they're fixing that issue now by building majestic, well thought out places like Cityplace

Look at that loving nightmare. Like 15,000 people, one grocery store, closest liquor store is up at King, which isn't far but is still a hike and is going before long for, you guessed it, more condos.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

DamnCanadian posted:

I grew up in Toronto, and I think City Hall owns. I don't understand, though, how it could get so hot in the summer, since the glass-window side faces north, and is never in direct sunlight?

The window side faces south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Mordja posted:

When will zeppelins make a comeback?

More from Toronto: The Aga Khan museum looks like it's been turned upside down.

I loved the building they tore down to build that thing.

• Locked thread