Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GentlemanBrofro posted:

holy gently caress i found them

Pretty nice graphics in the new Killzone game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tsaedje posted:

Am I too late to do lovely pyramids?

Welcome to Stockport!

I was going to write a history of the building but I thought the David Icke forums did a better job

This looks like something out of the future era in SimCity, but the player just unlocked that tier so everything else is still realistically modern-day.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only people who genuinely like Brutalism are old people that want to appear like they're creating a modern renaissance, and goons who played Wolfenstein when they were kids and came all over the screen when they saw Hitler's badass castle.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Thwomp posted:

You sir are incorrect.

That is obviously a duck.

A duck with three legs.

Okay it's an M with a duck face.

:brutal:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phlegmish posted:

it just looks like an office with a bunch of poo poo hanging from the ceiling

No it's art don't you understand

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Magnus Praeda posted:

It's not poorly constructed (quite the opposite, by the looks of it), but what possible point could it serve?

Listen, sometimes you just want a good place to perch up with your rifle and shoot the local wildlife. Where else are you gonna get a better angle on those squirrels and raccoons than the comfort of your own home??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

It looks like an untextured building render put together in Unreal Engine 4

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

You can see that there are on both floors in the first pic. You'd think the building contractor would just own up to lovely unstable balconies instead of pretending you aren't supposed to stand on them when there are doors that lead there and all. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Interestingly that pic doesn't include the foundation, which I have made a mockup of here (outlined in green for extra visibility):

Cultural Imperial posted:

Nice drill bit.

Also a good alternative

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Vegas strip is basically just a gigantic "who can build the gaudiest most eye-attracting building of all" contest and there's no uniformity and it looks like something out of a fever dream.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

fuctifino posted:

I checked out the new(ish) staircase at the Grade 1 listed Royal William Naval Yard in Plymouth the other day, thinking that I'd hate it. I ended up really liking it.

Don't worry, I'll hate it for you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sagan owns, brutalism's poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

drat NIGGA posted:

I want to get off Mr. Eisenhower's wild ride

The Persistence of Concrete

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MikeJF posted:

Brutalism is awesome in Wolfenstein: The New Order

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Skeleton King posted:

So, what kind of architecture is good?

Buildings that look good without literally falling apart because of what they are made of, for one

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This is terrifying in a weird sort of way that I can't describe. When are the xenomorphs going to emerge from this thing??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thankfully the real building appears to still be an architectural failure so it all balances out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yawgmoth posted:

this owns all of the people it's going to fall directly on top of someday

Fixed

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I remember that level in Bioshock, good to see it got rescued from the ocean where all the concrete and stuff would've eventually worn away.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PenguinBob posted:

this building looked like a cheap styrofoam prop and I'm glad it's dead

It kinda looks like you could just pick it up and toss it around because it's actually really light despite looking heavy. I think it might be the bricks near the bottom.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That house is almost certainly a stunt jump in GTA 5.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"It's very bottom heavy" is rear end in a top hat lovely architect code for "Don't wooorry it's fiiiine what could possibly go wrong"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's for brick, not concrete, but how do you feel about formstone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBs455jwb8w

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think Barrie Marshall knows what a house is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Every time I read about that hoodwinked house story, I remember this image that pretty much sums up the whole thing:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I loved that lovely building's appearance in Dredd

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Collateral Damage posted:

Why do brutalist architects hate windows and sunlight so much?

The padded cells where they usually live don't have any windows so they don't know what that's supposed to look like.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cacator posted:

I was in Macau last month and this monstrosity looms over the city:

So... this is the fabled super saiyan level 6. A whole city's worth of power-levels...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Anarchist-tect

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

satanic splash-back posted:

Oh no my dystopian city looks like a dystopian city

Well also it looks stupid and like poo poo so that's 2 negative points in its favor, or 3 depending on if you count "stupid and like poo poo" as two points

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's been posted itt before, I think. It's the one shaped like a giant electric shaving razor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bobatron posted:

Good luck finding anything in this MC Escher mall.

"Oh, you're looking for the Gap? Yeah, it's just up the staircase, down the underside of the staircase, around the corner, around the corner, around the corner, around the corner, and left at the right staircase. Yep, glad I could help!"

• Locked thread