Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sparq posted:

This one is my favorite recent building in my city, Valladolid. It's the regional government(Cortes) building of Castille & Leon, and is placed alongside one of the main arteries of the city. I think it generates a nice landmark in the city and, although a bit brutalist in its use of a giant fuckoff wall of white concrete, it does look gentle and isn't really taller than the nearby building, so it doesn't come off as opressive.

Goon Opinion? Y/N?

I like it, at least - it has a sort of 50's le Corbusier elegance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

re Broad art museum :

I don't know - in isolation, that is kind of cool, and I like how hard it is to judge the size and shape of it. Probably way inconvenient for it's intended use, and I believe what you say about it clashing with the surroundings, but...

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's ... interesting as a contrast to the super-strict classisist parliament building, I guess.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sparq posted:

Do they plan on heating the place? If they do, holy crap that will be expensive and I'm amazed that it was allowed in such a cold place.

It doesn't have to be that bad - it looks like there's a separation between the open inside and the inside rooms, and if they also use double panes the rooms inside could end up with decent enough insulation.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

KoRMaK posted:

I'm not sure the best way to tell you this, but that look like load bearing scaffolding. It's never going away.

Read that again. He knows.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Am I some sort of bad person for thinking that's a perfectly good and timeless exterior for a concert hall?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Elukka posted:

That looks like a somewhat blander version of the Helsinki railway station.

Which is incidentally a really neat building, right down to the lantern carrier men at the front entrance.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Nckdictator posted:

Oral Roberts University is one of those weird places I can't decide if I hate or love its design.

I imagine they're best from a distance, but those are cool. Very stark, but not featureless.
If anything, it reminds me of old sci-fi; they wouldn't have looked out of place in the background of one of the original star wars movies.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 26, 2015

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

re the Scottish Parliament :
Eh, the foreground semi-underground thing is nice enough; I like buildings that give the public some usable space.

The thing in the background isn't all that, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

There's a good article on my local newspaper today about how much the lack of smog has changed the way our city looks over the last 50 years. Also might help explain why people were a lot more cavalier about demolishing buildings which look a lot nicer nowadays.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/manchesters-dark-history-archive-pictures-8722223

Goddamn. I knew the soot was bad, but that's dramatic.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Look at this structure that "flagrantly disregard their settings, reducing architecture to mere superfluous spectacle, over-exaggerated and detached from reality". And after looking at the Eiffel Tower, check out Frank Gehry’s Fondation Louis Vuitton.

They actually point put the Eiffel tower as another case of sculpture that happens to accommodate some practical use. Which is fair - it's a monument more than a useful building.

edit: Found it.

quote:

Yet in time, and especially with the benefit of an inspired curatorial agenda, the Fondation promises to become a treasured part of Paris − like the Eiffel Tower. But like the latter, is it really architecture or, like the Bilbao Guggenheim, a species of usable sculpture? Architecture, once the encompassing mother of the arts, completed by sculpture and painting, and carrier of cultural significance and meaning, has become reduced to superfluous spectacle.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 28, 2015

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Professor Shark posted:

I suspect a lot of ugly buildings really just come down to budget- a nice building costs more and you get less square footage, but an ugly building costs much less, and if people aren't generally going to care...

This doesn't explain the insanely expensive ugly new buildings that have popped up in the thread, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm just happy that google are literally building a domed city - it's been a futuristic idea forever, so it's about time someone does it (even if this is a much smaller scale than most scifi proposals).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The subsidies over here are structured so the universities get more money if you finish on time, to encourage them to do all they can to keep students from dropping out or meandering. This has its own downsides (streamlining and an incentive to not fail bad students), but everything considered it's not a completely bad idea.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

WMain00 posted:

Meanwhile this one looks like the guy was high on LSD. What in the actual gently caress? It doesn't even look architecturally feasible.

It looks a lot like a protein model of some complex cell surface structure, and they tend to be color-coded on a similar scale. Not that this makes it a good choice for a bridge.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I think what annoys me most about the mecca thing is the anti-preservationist stance of the Saudi royals. They hold that preserving the history of the religion/area (which are rather intertwined) would distract the believers and be a form of idol worship - and that's a bit of a shame.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Speleothing posted:

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly, and I've spent my share of time on narrow badly secured mountain roads.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Building on top looks like a place where you'd go to learn the exciting new science of trepanning.

Lower one looks like they're researching ways to make monkey-borne viruses more airborne, so I'm not sure what we've gained or lost there.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Max Manus posted:

Behold, the industry export-import building!

Oh god that thing. I pass it on the tram every day, and it's just so ... aggressively bland. At least the lighting makes it look kind of dramatic at night.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

I'm noticing the other architectural failure of the trolley tracks over the fountain in the foreground.

Nah, that's sensible enough. It's a roundabout, and the tram drives straight over those. They decided at some point to pretty it up a bit by putting in a water surface and some tiny water jets, probably because it was easy to combine with the tracks. I think the jets turn off when there is a tram crossing, but I can't imagine they'd do any harm either way.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lawman 0 posted:

what were they exactly trying to do again anyways?

IIRC, they were trying to get a bit of power out the turbines after a reactor shutdown, to see if they could use that to run the cooling pumps during an unplanned shutdown.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Incidentally, it wasn't really the steam turbine test that did them in - that part worked more or less as planned, it just happened to set the stage for the other idiocy.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fajita Fiesta posted:

On a similar note does anyone have some urban planning monstrosities? Hypothetical ones would be great. Cities: Skyline comes out in an hour and I'm looking for some inspiration for my virtual hellscape.

Brazilia, perhaps? It looks quite good from the air, while it's apparently a bit of a nightmare on foot -and the original design is way undersized for the current population, for that classical simcity "nice core with random blobs on the side"-look.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tochiazuma posted:

American Embassy in Ottawa, if the intent was to put up an ugly building that looked like it had a bunker in the roof then Mission Accomplished

That seems to be the style they are going for - the one in Oslo looks like a fortress as well.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

SocketWrench posted:

Really?
Handle is Hitler's hair style. Lid nob is his mustache, and spout and bell are his arm raised in salute

”Getting" as in "buying", I think.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ZeusCannon posted:

I agree completely. It brings a nice bit of life and color to contrast the crazy starkness of the buildings shapes and materials.

Yup. The grey flat concrete really brings out the color in the plants, too. It's a shame brutalism as a whole didn't stress this more - imagine if the public perception of the style included some flattering greenery.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh yeah, Schönefeld had some of the worst layout choices I've seen, starting at the second floor endless hallway of taxfree shops that you could very easily miss - and that were the easiest way to move between the terminals.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Someone not phone posting might want to add the Royal Pavilion in Brighton, in all it's golden pink indo-arabic gaudiness; it's another product of the age of the above follies, and quite ... something in person.

It's not really a failure, though. It's structurally sound, and while it clashes with everything and is completely overloaded on the inside I will happily chalk it up as "art".

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Are there any good postmodern buildings aside from the centre pompidou and the lloyd's building

The opera in Oslo might count? It's a "white marble at weird angles"-affair, but the acoustics are said to be good, the walkable roof is well visited, and I honestly like how it looks.

It has its share of issues, like some of the marble going yellow and some of the stone tiles being broken by waves, but those are hardly fundamental problems.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dejan Bimble posted:

That's a pretty good one. It's a novel design that actually has a purpose and looks good. It's almost modernist in its consideration of these things that postmodernism usually spits at.

Snøhetta have done some decent things.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

dr_rat posted:

Wait missouri part of Australia now?

I have no idea when, or why that happened, but welcome to our united southern lands our new Aussie brethren! :australia:

Which is obviously right across the border from Norway. :norway:

(Why that rather ... specific selection of flags?)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Senor Gato posted:

Google "brutalism"... :wtc: is this cunting hipster bullshit.

Edit: It's like the architectural version of aids.

The main problem with brutalism is that it's a great excuse for huge, cheap, blocks of concrete with little energy put into the design. At its best it can be elegant, and even the ugly brutalist buildings are more often than not perfectly reasonable places to do whatever they were designed for.

That said, I'd be happy with recycling a lot of the 70s concrete boxes as gravel.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 8, 2015

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm Crap posted:

Actually almost all of them are leaky, unnavigable, dark, dank hovels of concrete-rot dogshit IRL. They can look cool in photographs but so does the Rio Tinto - doesn't mean I'm going swimming in it any time soon.

I guess we've had different luck - most of the ones I've been in have been boring but functional.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Moridin920 posted:

This one in particular I hated; it looks better in the photos than it does in real life because the photos don't capture the bonkers texture on the outside very well:

Hundertwasser was a strange man.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Honj Steak posted:

An aunt of mine once had a flat in the Magdeburg Hundertwasser Haus. It was beautiful, uplifting and interesting to visit her, but totally impractical to actually live there, so she sold it a few months later.

He seems like the kind of guy who should have allied himself with a sensible if boring engineer to make his ideas into slightly more convenient realities.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tunga posted:

It has a weird pedestal thing at the bottom that doesn't actually serve any purpose or create any useful space.

He seems to have noticed towards the end of the sentence.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Going back to the superstar achitect discussion some pages back, Zaha Hadid has apparently designed a huge olympic stadion in Tokyo that won't be built - the Guardian has some coverage:
Japan scraps Zaha Hadid's Tokyo Olympic stadium design.
The troubled history of Zaha Hadid's Tokyo Olympic stadium project

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Eh, I don't mind that. Unlike some of the atrocious glass monsters eating old buildings we've seen in here, it's cleanly off to the side and appears to be actually practical for the intended use. Also unlike those, it looks almost understated - it's just a room wrapped in a minimal amount of exterior, and small enough to not even be visible from several angles.

That doesn't mean I think it's pretty, mind you. More "inoffensive".

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

AutoArgus posted:

As egregious a photoshop as any other

That looks plausible enough to me, even if the tele compression exaggerates the bumps and curves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

padijun posted:

you might enjoy scenic anchorage alaska

no one else does, however

e: here's a close up the weird wedding cake in the middle

That looks kind of nice, tbh.

Of course, it lies at about the same latitude as me but doesn't have the gulf stream and sheltered location to moderate the weather, so I imagine it will be kind of dreary for half the year.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 18, 2015

• Locked thread