Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Ivor Biggun posted:

:spergin: Goons would design for maximum efficiency

gently caress no those could be 50 floor blocks stuffed to the gills with prison cells luxurious 10mē apartments for the working class, with a convenient company store on the ground floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

0haiThere posted:

Maybe old Greek/Roman buildings were originally painted, but their colors faded over the years. Like how they used to paint their statues.

Actually, that could be a cool idea for a photoshop thread. "Paint the brutalist building".

:getin:

and yeah the akropolis was painted gold and blue around the top iirc

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

How does he keep getting work? He's a loving hack. Is it just that pretentious morons think they're supposed to like his work and so claim to do so and order new terrible designs?

yes

it's fine if it's an overpriced sculpture/painting that takes up a few square meters at most, but people have to actually work and/or live in star architect turds

i mean buildings don't have to be beep boop efficient concrete blocks but form shouldn't interfere with function

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

A bridge that breaks on a slightly windy day does indeed facilitate travel, in addition to looking fun!

Still better than the loving Garden Bridge.

A private bridge paid for by the government, on which
* groups of 8 or more
* cyclists
* walking between midnight and 6am
will not be permitted

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

The garden bridge won't be built though.

did it finally loose too many lawsuits?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

the place is called poultry so i'd say the quality of the building fits

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Ahahahaha yes

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Humboldt Squid posted:

Believe it or not, this isn't the only Victory of Samothrace themed building

(thankfully this one's just a proposal though)

and it looks disgusting

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Neutrino posted:

The Milwaukee School of Engineering has a relatively new athletic center called the Kern Center. Looks nicely modern:

The Google satellite view shows how the architect felt about the project (Comparison shown in the inset):

I approve.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

Because it's not actually a bridge you're supposed to use, it's an elaborate tourist trap owned by a private company. Total shitshow.

which means it doesn't solve the problem of "we need a new bridge" at all

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

So presumably it should be cheap to buy as a doom fortress goon fortress? :v:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 3, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

LOL, that architect hates social science students.

Should have been the math building.

i will never get architecture that is all about making people do annoying things during their workdays (having to ask for directions on every single corridor is just annoying no matter how ungoony you are), except maybe for an art museum building

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Oh, its the "my child can do better art than this modern stuff" of architecture.

In addition, please tell me it's named after Stata, noted maker of statistical software made entirely obsolete by R :allears:.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Pead posted:

Man, the sad thing about this: this isn't the only spaghetti junction in Atlanta. This one is in the center of the metro area where I-20 and I-85 cross, but there is a second one at the north side of the metro area where I-85 crosses the I-285 perimeter highway that circles the city. It's just as stupid looking and I believe is the one that Outkast wrote a song about on Stankonia

This looks like a failed attempt at building a cloverleaf junction.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Roy posted:

People just associate it with poverty. The reason why some people dislike it is the same reason why white people in general don't wear gang colours or addidas tracksuits.

Outside of Russia you mean.

e:

owns

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Why are there no teletubbies in this picture?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Terminal Entropy posted:

You can, it would be Czech artist David Cerny. Though the last time he was hired to make something, it just was an insult in model kit form.
This owns.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Accretionist posted:

That wood siding in the living room might, though.

Do floor to ceiling windows look very modern to anyone else? I feel like they require the rest of the interior look like this:

it's perfect for exhibitionists imo

who doesn't want the world watching them wank on the couch

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Their website is good for a laugh though, what with its unspecified danger level indicator just approaching level red (whatever that means), and an inability to string two sentences together without mentioning that people have been panicking for all of human history as proof that the endtimes are NearTM.

If I had $Texas to throw around I would totally buy an impenetrable underground bunker though, just in case the proles decide to have another glorious revolution in my lifetime.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:wtc: is that for real

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

a strikingly empty parking lot

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

Quick one since I sort of touched on it earlier, but Chinese contractors vs. American ones.

Now, I'm not all :patriot: and poo poo and saying that US contractors are the best or anything, but they're super high up there compared to the rest of the world in that you can give them very tight tolerances on things and most of the time they will be well within those tolerances.

A good example of this would be a stud wall with a stone veneer finish.

Now in the US it's expected that if the plans called out for a wall that from the interior to exterior would be 5/8" Gyp, 4" stud, 2 layers of 1/2" plywood, and 1 1/2" of veneer the overall width of that wall would be 7 1/8" +/- about a 1/2" on a wall that's say 20' long, and the wall might kick out an additional 1/2" at the top or bottom per 10' of height. So worse case you're talking about 1" out of alignment which might sound horrible if you're OCD but in the world of construction that's actually super accurate and so if you know you'll need a very exact interior room size you'll usually compensate by adding another 1-2" since you'll know that the vast majority of contractors can hit that minimum room dimensions.

China on the other hand... holy loving poo poo.

If you were designing that same wall in China you would not only have to plan on an additional 2-3" per 20' of length misalignment and 10' of height misalignment, but would also need to account for another 4" of stone veneer, making a wall that would be 7 1/8" in the US become roughly 12" in China. So remember that the next time your idiot family member starts talking about China overtaking the US as a world power because they can barely build poo poo 1/2 as well as we can. The Ryugyong Hotel in North Korea (the pyramid that's literally falling apart) is probably more structurally sound than like 1/2 of the buildings that have been put up in China over the last 10-15 years. It's so bad that they have to import entire construction crews from Europe to do anything close to precision construction like structural framing for glass canopies and walls.
having stayed in a Chinese village being constructed I can confirm this is 100% true, and also emphasise the lovely tools and building materials used by Chinese construction contractors. Measuring things is done with a water level, a piece of string, and moderately bad eye sight and bricks are so lovely they'll crumble to dust if dropped and so cheap they come in a dump truck, get dropped off, and only the top half of the pile that didn't get crushed to dust gets used for building. In addition, terribly unsafe railings made from aluminum tubing that will bend and snap if you lean against it.

Too bad superior American:911: construction effort mostly goes into McMansions that won't survive the next hurricane instead of stone buildings that will last 200 years (or until the next earthquake in which case lol stone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Anyway, it turns out the plastic core is what makes it highly flammable

i mean who could have possibly guessed flammable plastic can be set on fire???

• Locked thread